Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #1  

Default Eating at night = ARG!

Hi all! I'm new to this diet forum (and to dieting in general...). Basically I have about 5 pounds to lose, but I'm having some problems with eating at night. I can make it through the day just fine on a pre-planned, healthy, habitual meal plan that I enjoy...I DON'T feel hungry or deprived during the day, but then at night, ESPECIALLY in the middle of the night, I wake up HUNGRY and don't know what to do!

Usually I'll grab an apple and yogurt, but sometimes I end up having 300-400 calories worth of yogurt at night! It's odd because I can tell when I'm 'too hungry' to sleep through the night and I'll end up getting up multiple times because I feel restless...I don't really know how to describe it. .. Basically it leaves me feeling like a horrible person the next morning (and the sleep deprivation isn't helping my mood!).

I've been struggling with this for awhile and I'm just getting frustrated and can't help feeling like I'm a worthless person with no self-control...Has anyone else gone through this and has some advice/ideas on how to avoid it? I've tried adding more food during the day but it just feels unnatural because I'm honestly *not* hungry during the day...I feel like I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks for your help!
Arashii01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

That's tough! Are you actually waking up in the middle of the night to eat? Maybe that is something to discuss with your doctor. You're not a worthless person with no self-control--you just need to figure out an eating plan that conforms to the demands of YOUR body.

I think your first step should be to PLAN your evening/late night snacks. If you know that you're going to be hungry at 11pm and 3am, work out in advance what you will eat, and even prep it. You might need to experiment to figure out what foods will satisfy your body during the night. Planning often undermines the temptation to overdo it. Perhaps give that a try, and call your doctor!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there Arashii01,

I know what you mean about eating in the evening--it's pretty compelling--but I've never had to get up and eat.

It might be worth checking with your doctor. Of course, posts on a website should never substitute for medical advice--I'm not a doctor or health professional! But here are some thoughts:

- Try to eat more during the day even if you don't feel hungry. Probably the reason you aren't hungry during the day is because you loaded up in the night. This might help switch your intake to daylight hours.

- Plan a snack about an hour before your bedtime. Include some protein--not just carbs or fats. For example, that yogurt you find so tempting, or some cheese, or lowfat cottage cheese, and an apple. Fresh fruit does not contain a lot of calories. Add a few nuts (maybe 10) if you like.

- Are you really hungry in the night, or are you having acid reflux or heartburn? Sometimes antacid tablets can really help in the case of heartburn--which sometimes can feel like hunger. Also, drinking an 8-oz. glass of water can help as well. Sometimes thirst feels like hunger to some people.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #4  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

Hmm. Like others said if you're actually waking up it may be something else but if it really just is that you need to have something before you go to bed to get through the night then that should be fine. I believe (others will disagree) that a calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it. So as long as you plan for your before bed snack you will still be able to lose weight. If you like yogurt but that's not filling, my suggestion (borrowed from the ladies here) is to add some fiber one cereal to it. One serving is only 60 cals and if you only add half a serving it's only 30 cals and it will make that yogurt SO much more filling!
nomorefatpants is offline   Reply With Quote