Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #1  

Default Sooo Desperate!(Long)

I have had it! I have tried EVERY diet known to man. I can't even stick to these for more than a day or so without cheating. I am a full-time working mom that's gone for almost 11 hours out of the day. I have a hard time fitting in exercise. I feel very guilty taking family time away to exercise. My weight is slowing creeping up. This is so upsetting. I keep trying Weight Watchers, but I don't ever stick to the pts. and I've tried other diets recently (SB, Medical Weight Loss) but never stick to them. I always take the easy way out. My weight has become such an obssesion that it's all I think about. It's very depressing to me that I continue to put on weight. Are there any inspiring stories to give me hope that I will eventually find a diet that suits me enough to stick with it. I feel very hopeless right now. Thanks for listening!
JessP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #2  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Stop thinking of it as a diet. Think of it as a life style change. If you are having a hard time with "cheating", then don't tell yourself there is something you CAN'T have. YOu can eat anything every once in awhile, as long as you don't go overboard

I eat pretty much anything I want too, BUT I make sure I can count the calories and I restrict the portions. And hopefully as I gain more control I can start to make healthier decisions. Heck I already am LOL. Substituting fruits for a twinkie, and water for cokes are small changes that you can make gradually.

In the end, it's all about calories burned vs. calories injested, so first just start wih getting your calorie intake under control. Then start thinking about how you can get more food for your calories (which is where fruit and veggies are a godsend!)

Good luck and you CAN do it. I thought I was hopeless because I could never find any diet or magic pill that zapped the fat away in a week. Just understand it will take time, but it will be worth it when you are a new, more healthy YOU! I had to totally change the way I though about al of this "dieting' stuff. LOL Your current weight is lower than my goal weight, so you're ahead of me!

Oh and PS..You said you were concerned about working out taking away from family time..Maybe you could get your whole family involved? Take a family walk to enjoy the outdoors, or buy some kind of workout DVD that maybe your kids may enjoy as well. There are all kinds of possibilities.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #3  
The last 10

S/C/G: 200/140/130

Height: 5'8"

Try just eating more natural foods, fresh fruits, veggies, lean protein, turkey, chicken, tuna, and staying away from processed foods, cookies, ice cream, cakes, chips, etc. Trying to hard with an 11 hour day and family is to much of a strain and will overwhelm you.
One important thing to keep in mind when you feel you are taking "time away from your family to fit in exercise" shouldn't even come to mind. Think of it this way, by exercising you are improving your quality of health, life, setting a good example for your children, but most importantly, extending your life so you will be there for them in the long run......
Take them exercising. Kids love playing ball, biking, swimming and any other number of things outside. Any exercise is better than none and you will be spending time with them.
Currydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yes to the lifestyle change. Make "healthy" changes. Rather than dieting, cut out sodas (if you drink them)...even diet sodas. Drink water, lots of it. Drink a full glass before each meal. Eat healthier. Take fruits/veggies with you to work/school/wherever. Opt for more lean meats and whole grains. Most places now offer healthier fare if you eat out a lot with your schedule.

As for taking time from your family, if you could just spend 15 minutes each morning and each night getting in a bit of exercise every day, its more than you do now. Or...if you get a lunch hour, use half of it to exercise. If you can get in 30 minutes a day just 3 days a week, its more than you get now, right? And don't look at it as taking anything from your family. In reality, you're giving back to them. A healthier you, able to spend more quality time with your kids without feeling rundown, possibly a longer life you can all enjoy together. And your healthy habits may even rub off on them, giving even more benefits.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #5  
Lost in Wonderland

S/C/G: 230.5/199.5/150

Height: 5'10"

and remember , ultimately this is something for you. You have got to make the choice everyday , several times a day , that you are going to live healthy for you

i agree with everyone else , diet is a nasty four letter word

Lifestyle change .... repeat it over and over

its my mantra and has gotten me out of jams before ... it also helps me decide if i really want the chocolate, or want to eat it out of habit, emotional eating, or do i really really really want it
CrimsonClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 AM   #6  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Agreed with the others on the lifestyle change -- think of it as adjustments, not restrictions.

As for the family guilt - think of it this way, by taking care of yourself now - you're ensuring you'll spend many more healthy years with your family in the future! And who says taking time to exercise is taking away family time? You can do stuff together! Tennis, bowling, walk around the block - the list of active things you can do together are endless!
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh definitely. Diet is not a pretty word. It's all about making this a lifetime commitment. Eating healthy foods in normal sized portions - forever. Elminating junk food and those without any value and ADDING in delicious and nutriitous foods. Fueling your body with the best life has to offer. It's what you deserve.

As far as taking away family time. Don't do what I did. I am now 43 and my children are practically grown. 19, 17 and 15. I actually robbed them of a fit, trim, healthy and HAPPY mother by putting myself on the back burner. I know for sure had I been all those things they would have benefited GREATLY by it. Yes, it's first and foremost for yourself, but without a doubt getting yourself on track and in a happy and healthy place will have a HUGE affect on everything and everyONE around you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I just have to say, you really want to nip this in the bud before it does get so far out of control. I see you only have 18 pounds to go. You really want to take some time to invest in planning on what you "can" do to cut back and make the changes. I wish when I was at 145 I could have really dedicated myself to really dropping those 18 pounds I needed. I now have to drop 33...and i've already dropped 30. I let it get 63 pounds out of control and it is going to take me a lot longer to get to where I want to be, which also looks like where you want to be. Calorie counting seems to work the best for me....along with a great class I take at the Y. And your children will benefit from having a healthy, HAPPY mom who likes what she sees in the mirror and like the way she feels. I used to walk for 30 minutes on my lunch break everyday. I sit at a desk everyday so I figured I really didn't need to go sit at a table for another hour while I ate my lunch in like 15 minutes. So, i would go walk for 30 minutes, then come back in , cool off and fix my lunch....Lean Cruisine was a lifesaver!!! I know I don't really have alot of advice, just alot of encouragement...and that is also why we are here. Good Luck!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #9  
I restore Teeth.

If you quit thinking about it as a WEIGHT issue, then maybe you wouldn't feel so chained to a "plan" or diet. I personally quit my obsessive thinking 2 years ago sucessfully when I stopped weighing myself and started making healhtier changes. I still enjoy sweets and fats but in moderation. I just prefer healthier foods because they make me feel much better...
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote