Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/234/160

Height: 5'11"

Question Detox, anyone?

I've read a few posts here and there concerning detox programs - either the pills, foods, or drinks. I've done detox before for *less healthy* reasons.

Now I'm wondering about how detox plays a role in weight loss and health. There are a ton of health food stores here locally but there's so many choices, I never know what I need or want or otherwise.

What are some detox options out there? Any ones better than others? Any side effects (other than the obvious "cleansing" side effects on the stomach and such )?
msnewbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #2  

The short answer is that there isn't one.

If your body is building up toxins that it can't get rid of, you need immediate medical attention, not herbs or supplements or fasting or ... whatever. There is absolutely NO credible science behind the notion.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #3  
banned

I've had great success with a cleansing program. Pm me and I can give you more info. What you definitely want to look out for is to make sure that in addition to the detox process that you actually put back nutrients into your body or else it can be depleting.
luvmy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

You know, my mom has done the supposed "detox" thing. I agree with funniegrrl, your body regularly gets rid of toxins, that's what your body's function essentially is.. Nothing stays behind like that or you'd be seriously ill. My mom swears by it but she also ends up with heart palpitations and memory loss.. Not a very good combo if you ask me.
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 AM   #5  

Quote:
Pm me and I can give you more info. What you definitely want to look out for is to make sure that in addition to the detox process that you actually put back nutrients into your body or else it can be depleting.
Lemme guess. ********, Luv's MLM/business that she's not here to market AT ALL, sells supplements/vitamins.

(Check her posting history if you think I'm being harsh. Read the posts. Decide for yourself.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Greetings!

Yes, your body is able to detox itself, otherwise we'd all be in big trouble! But it doesn't hurt to give it some help. You may find that just eating differently gets rid of a lot of toxins because you're not putting them in to begin with, and because you're not eating food that creates them.

Best detox: Water. Drink enough water. 64 to 80 ounces a day. Get enough fiber. 'nuff said. Olive oil and lemon juice as a dressing on salad or in hot water helps clear out the liver.

And be sure you eat vegetables and fruits, and take a multivitamin.

"Auntie Jay"
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you are really interested in a detox, I recommend trying to do a "healthy foods" detox. I do think that often we eat foods that we are allergic too without even knowing it. The big hitters are dairy, grains (including corn) and artificial sweeteners. I also think processed foods can cause our body to react in funny ways. If you tried eating whole foods, your body may react more positively to you. I recommend reading Superfoods RX for foods that are good for you. You can also look at organic foods and organic products as well.

Do detoxes help you lose weight? Only if they restrict your calories.

I drink a meal replacement drink every morning that has a "detox" effect. (It isn't advertised as a detox but it says that many taking the supplement feel "detoxed") It is all organic and has lots of nutrients. Sometimes when I'm feeling a bit "icky", I will use that drink in conjunction with fresh fruits and vegetables to kind of get my body and mindset in the right place for a couple days. I also make sure my calories don't dip below 1200 calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #8  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I have read that having a bulid up of candida in your system can keep you hungry or whatever. Basically the healthy probotics have been taken away for whatever reason. So they say a candida cleanse is good for getting your digestive system right again. I do believe in the *whole foods* cleanse. I wish I had the time to be able to not eat alot of packaged things..
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Greetings!

Yes, your body is able to detox itself, otherwise we'd all be in big trouble! But it doesn't hurt to give it some help. You may find that just eating differently gets rid of a lot of toxins because you're not putting them in to begin with, and because you're not eating food that creates them.

Best detox: Water. Drink enough water. 64 to 80 ounces a day. Get enough fiber. 'nuff said. Olive oil and lemon juice as a dressing on salad or in hot water helps clear out the liver.

And be sure you eat vegetables and fruits, and take a multivitamin.

"Auntie Jay"

Thanks, Auntie Jay water+fiber=

I do juices. Fresh juices. I always say towards the end of the winter that it's time for a juice fast and it takes me about a month to gear up for it. I just finished one. My cue for starting this year was the fact that I ended up in the ER for gastro intestinal issues and the juice fast worked way better than the stuff they gave me, I know that.

As for products, I used one the very first time I did it and it seemed to make things work in reverse, if you know what I mean. I've had the best results with raw foods and juices.

As for weightloss reasons (as you mentioned), not such a good plan. The absolute most I've lost is about 5 pounds and everytime but once I have gained it back. With what I get otherwise, though, with energy, clarity, and symptom relief, I don't really care what the scale says. There is a much bigger picture to it than weightloss and I think that aspect sort of cheapens it and adds to the backlash.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:27 PM   #10  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I have a friend who tried the ******** 9 day cleanse. She initially lost 9 pounds, and lost a pant size, but within a few weeks she gained it all back plus a few pounds. I don't know how other people react to it, I'm sure there are people who swear by it, but I think I'd rather lose weight the old fashioned way, and at least get to eat solid food every day.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #11  

I believe in detoxes in the sense that if you're eating tons and tons of overprocessed foods lacking in any sort of nutritional value AND not drinking any water you should have a "detox" per say. But that's more of a lifestyle change. I think of the over processed foods which I'm speaking of as sort of toxic to your body. Or if you're allergic or intolerant to some foods but eat them anyway (gluten, dairy) then perhaps focusing for a week or two on primarily fruits and vegetables would help you to better understand what your body responds best to. I don't believe in buying things for a detox. For me, a detox is almost spiritual because it puts you into a different mind.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote