Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/218/140

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Unhappy Trying to lose weight before conceiving

Hi everyone,

I am newbie and really want to hear if anyone is trying to lose weight before they have a baby. I am trying to lose weight but as I am losing weight I want to get pregnant at around 200 lb and continue to lose as I am pregnant or not gain as much as I did with my fist child. I am also having a hard time finding the motivation for exercising and not night binging. I gotten alot better but its getting harder and harder to resist. Well thank you for listening. I do have to say this is a really great forum and I am sooo glad I found it.
mdshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there, welcome! I'm not one to ask about this really, but what I've heard is that you shouldn't be trying to lose weight when you are actually pregnant. Your body needs food to feed both you and the baby, and if you aren't eating enough, you could hurt the baby's growth and development.

Good luck with losing BEFORE you get pregnant.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Trying to lose while pregnant IMO is just an awful idea. Your baby is growing in leaps and bounds while inutero and NEEDS the fuel. Now granted you don't have to gain a TON of weight. I am the mother of three. With the first I gained about 35, second the same and the third, well at that point I was pretty darn overweight. I don't even remember how much I weighed, it was over 15 years ago and I tend to forget unpleasant things, but I barely gained anything. I think it was about 5 -7 lbs. And that was with doing nothing different. I ate my ususal normal stuff. When you are significantly overweight you just don't gain as much while pregnant.

Now losing BEFORE you get pregnant, that's another story. Definitely beneficial and a good idea. You've already lost 20 lbs!!! You are definitely headed in the right direction. Good luck to you on both losing weight and trying to conceive.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

We're planning our 3rd child in about 18 months or so. Well to start practicing anyway I only gained 30 and 31 lbs for my last 2 pregnancies but over 100 with my first. I was on bedrest with that one and young and didn't realise that pregnancy wasn't a license to eat everything I wanted. I will say with the other 2, I did keep up my normal excersize. I was only walking, but I kept it up, I firmly believe that's why I not only gained within normal range, but came out weighing less at the end of the pregnancy.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #5  

I have talked to my Doctor and I will eat the required calories but this time in a healthy manner. I will eat all food I eat now (with added veggies and protein) and still exercise. The doctor says that I can keep my pregnancy weight down unlike with my first where I gained 40-45 lb and did not exercise at all during my pregnancy. But thanks for the response.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #6  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

My midwife for the last 2 pregnancies was the one who told me I could come out possibly weighing less at the end of the pregnancy if I simply watched portion control and continued to excersize. She was right, I weighed 6 pounds less after having my daughter,<at my 8 week checkup>, than I did for my first prenatal appt. With my son, I did too, but that was more due to the cellulitis infection in the csection incision, which took about 10 months to heal, and 2 months after his birth, I had an emergancy appendectomy, so I think the surgeries and loss of fat from the infection had more to do with weight loss than anything I did conciously. I will say, simply adding a few extras in for protiens and veggies and continuing to eat right and excersize within reason, there's no reason not to continue down the path you're currently on. I think intentionally "dieting" in the traditional sense, slim fast, atkins<other than maintance>, pills etc during pregnancy is insanity, but thats just mo. I think most people here realise that for 3FC, diet isn't the word so much as way of eating/living.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #7  

I totally agree I CANNOT call it a diet it is my lifestyle now.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #8  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angihas2 View Post
My midwife for the last 2 pregnancies was the one who told me I could come out possibly weighing less at the end of the pregnancy if I simply watched portion control and continued to excersize. She was right, I weighed 6 pounds less after having my daughter,<at my 8 week checkup>, than I did for my first prenatal appt. With my son, I did too, but that was more due to the cellulitis infection in the csection incision, which took about 10 months to heal, and 2 months after his birth, I had an emergancy appendectomy, so I think the surgeries and loss of fat from the infection had more to do with weight loss than anything I did conciously. I will say, simply adding a few extras in for protiens and veggies and continuing to eat right and excersize within reason, there's no reason not to continue down the path you're currently on. I think intentionally "dieting" in the traditional sense, slim fast, atkins<other than maintance>, pills etc during pregnancy is insanity, but thats just mo. I think most people here realise that for 3FC, diet isn't the word so much as way of eating/living.
Im glad someone else posted this.. unfortunately I wasnt the one that did it but i have a friend who was a little heavy when she got pregnant size 13 and she actually stuck to "normal" eatting, and cardiovascular exercise and light weight training ( doc was cool with it because it was something he was used to doing before her pregnancy so its not like she was shocking her body) anyways.. she brought her size 13s to the hospital to wear home, and the only reason they even held up is because she still had the pregnant belly.. by the time her 6 weeks was up and all swelling went down she was in a size 9. So.. its possible to come out lighter than you started, there IS a right way to do it though.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote