Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 06:59 AM   #16  
deleted2

Wildfire, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. Must be so painful for you too to see her in pain. The doctor has no idea how long it'll last? And, bless you, thru it all you send us this very tasty-sounding recipe! I'm gonna try it with tofu!

AmyJo--Good to "see" you again! Are you serious--8 pounds of candy!? Yikes, I would be all over it so I got mine out of the house!

I'm working on Day 16 today. You know, this takes planning! We're going out this morning to run errands and my husband says 'let's go to that coffee shop you like' and it was a sweet thought and I love going there but unfortunately it's not on my plan right now so I'm making our healthy lo-fat breakfast and coffee at home. Luckily, Garry's into it too. That's not to say we'll never go there again just not today!

Old 11-03-2001, 09:20 AM   #17  

My heart goes out to you, Wildfire. There's nothing worse than seeing your child suffer. Thank God, though, it's "just" mono and not a worse illness -- I would have been getting frantic after all that time of her not getting better! Is there no topical anesthetic, like a spray or liquid, she can use to dull the throat pain? Poor thing. I hope it resolves itself quickly. My sis had mono in high school, and although I was already moved out of the house when that happened, I know she was very sick for quite a while. Hang in there.

Hey Goddess, good for you sticking to your plan. You're lucky you have a supportive DH! You and Flower are my inspirations these days!

Amy, I'm in that final run for my semester, too. My school runs on a quarter system, so each quarter is only 10 weeks long -- talk about pressure! I have to do that paper today (no hiking for me, but it's raining anyways so I think they didn't go), then the next two weeks I have to get caught up and get ready for two final exams. Then I have a couple weeks break and then the winter quarter starts -- my next to last undergraduate quarter!! Yippee!! Good luck on all your final work.

OK, my doctor gave me the name of a place that does this program called Opti-Fast, which sounds vaguely familiar. It's a protein-sparing fast, which is what I was looking for. Patients also work with a team to ensure sustained weight loss. So I'll look into that. My doctor also told me that overweight is actually a secondary risk factor for heart disease, and that quitting smoking was the best thing I could do for myself. She ordered blood work to make sure my cholesterol and blood sugar are ok, and she stressed that exercise is the most important thing I can do for myself. And of course, lifestyle is more important than a weight-loss diet. I know that, of course, but if I could do this fast for a few weeks and lose even 20 lbs. I would feel better.

So....I need to be sure I make time every day to exercise. I have to prioritize that, even if I don't eat perfectly OP every day. So any support you guys can give me in that regard is much appreciated, as always.
Old 11-04-2001, 09:01 PM   #18  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Hello everyone. How was everyone's weekend? I am fine. Just tired. I complain and complain when Chris spends all his time with friends, but when he spends it all with me, I don't feel like I have had a weekend! I'm not complaining. We are getting alone wonderfully. His friends haven't called since that night. I find this very bizarre. But I am very thankful...

I applied for a new job over the internet today. It is for a new store that is opening in Vegas. The Great Indoors. I applied for a floral designer position and / or a visual merchandisor position. I am hoping I make it to the next level. I really need to have medical benifits. I need some dental work done and I am never gonna be able to afford it without insurance. I am barely making ends meet now. I recieved an email saying in a few days I would be asked to take a personality test over the internet.

I am a bit bored at work. I think it was a great job when I was a student, but I feel like a resentful secretary who can't climb the ladder. I could be responsible for so much more. It isn't challenging. I love my flexiblity and my boss is a great friend...but I need more. Plus, come Spring semester, I must commute across town. No more down the street job. I have also been thinking, if I don't make more money, I will never be able to retire. I have paid no taxes into SS for over 6 years. I need to start contributing to the economy and my retirement. I think dropping Cameron off at a rich friends home, is making me think I am just settleing. Aires personalities don't settle very well, we need adventure and change. Gotta spice it up!!!!
Old 11-04-2001, 09:42 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Flower ~ I knew I liked you for some reason and your right Aries doen't settle... All of my close female friends and my DH are all Aries (kind of weird but honestly they are) DH is April 7, and my three closest female friends are April 14, 15, and 16... Aries don't settle, when they love they love for life and lord knows don't make the mad ... But all of them that I know have no problem working their tale ends off to get what they want either, you will find your niche or it will find you!

Wildfire ~ How is your daughter?Hope she is feeling better! Let us know what's up...

Goddess ~ I still have 8 pound of candy give or take a piece or two. Since Wednesday I have had like 8 tootsie rolls and a pack of sugar babies- I consider that wonderful since this time last year I had eaten all of the tootsie rolls out of the candy before Halloween and then all of the tootsie rolls that the kids got when they trick or treated It isn't funny but this was about the time last year that I realized I was fat and my eating was out of control so I have come a long way!

Ruthie ~ Did you get your paper written? I have a care plan due tomorrow AM, I worked on it this afternoon it is ready I just have to recopy it so that it is legible (or maybe I shouldn't- if they can't read it then they can't grade it right ?) Just kidding! I am so ready for this semester to end!!!!! I wish we were still on quarters here.. there aren't any schools here left on quarters.. they go by faster but they sure have to cram alot in the time that you are going.. our breaks are longer now too.. They are all 2 to 4 weeks where during quarters you got 2 weeks max.

Well guys, I am excited.. I dropped 4 pounds this week... I don't know how but the scales say it yippee Well I have got to study for a Pharm test so I will check in soon.

Hugs to you all,
Amy
176/142/130
Old 11-05-2001, 09:21 AM   #20  
Must Shrink.

Hello Everyone! Sorry I haven't been here. I've been so caught up in my course and the Samhain Festival I was co-ordinating. The festival went fine, it's over with and I can get on with my life again.

While the stress was mounting, the 2 weeks before the festival I found myself battling the need to eat comfort food. Compound that with having Halloween candy accessable, and no time to cook well.

The need to get on track completely is with me. If I wasn't walking 1.5 hours/day, I'd be gaining like crazy. Still feel trim, but want to get my eating back under control again...

Oh man - you'd think they'd have cured mono by now... It takes so long to recover from it. My nephew had a mild case in high school and didn't lose his school year, but I remember kids being off school for months when I was in high school.

Hope she feels better...

I have to write an assignment now. I'll be back soon, to post in the food journal area...

Lam
Old 11-05-2001, 09:32 AM   #21  
you can call me flower

I am back to 182 this week. Actually the scale has been as high as 185 a few days ago. Last Wednesday it was 181. I know I didn't eat 3000+ extra calories this week. It will be off soon. I was so looking forward to the 170's tho! (nope the candy was noone close to that many calories!)

I finally did my belly dancing tape last night. I like it because I can do it barefoot. I may have wanted to start with a scultpting tape instead of a fat burning. I was so out of shape, and a huffing and puffing. I have no flexibility in my ankles. But this will change! They are so graceful. Which I am not. I was no dancer in any of my previous lives!!!!

Well, have a wonderful Monday and I am getting ready for work now! ~flower
Old 11-05-2001, 01:03 PM   #22  
deleted2

Flower--sounds like things are a'churning with you. It'll be interesting to see where it all leads!
AmyJo--good to see you have that tootsie roll jones in control! We have a bowl of halloween candy at work and I tried a toffee-ish thing this morning and threw it away--wasn't that good. It's great to be at the point where you can be discriminating. I'm not giving out valuable stomach space to just anything!
Lamorgan--great to see you back! And looking forward to seeing you on the food journal thread--it's so helpful for staying on track.
Wildfire, How's your daughter? How are you?

Old 11-05-2001, 09:07 PM   #23  
you can call me flower

I have the stomach flu. No one should feel this way unless they have consumed a lot of alcohol!
Old 11-05-2001, 09:51 PM   #24  
Hot Stuff

Hi Girls.

Amanda is about the same, which is positive in that she's not getting any worse. She is still coughing and vomiting and achey and her tonsils are swollen very badly, but at least she continues to try to eat inbetween running to the bathroom. I've warned her that getting dehydrated on top of it all will land her in the hospital with an IV, and she seems to understand. She's eating a lot of ice cubes, which help numb her throat as well.

I am rather tired tonight. Because of the swelling in her throat she is unable to close her jaw properly, and thus sleeps with her mouth open.....which leads to the loud freight-train type snoring....which is impossible to escape in this small apartment. So I spent most of the night trying to get back to sleep.

Thanks for asking.

Ruthie, did you find out more about the Opti-Fast program? It does sound vaguely familiar.

Flower, good luck with the job application. Have you eaten anything salty lately? You could be retaining water.

AMYJO!!!! Four pounds!!!! Congrats!

Lamorgan, good to see you! Yep, get back on track while the spirit's willing....that's half the battle!

Goddess, you are an inspiration! You're on quite a streak.

Oh, I will be inheriting another furface baby in the next few months. A large male butterscotch kitty named Buddy who currently is one of my sister's cats. She is moving and has four cats, total, and needs to find homes for them. The other three are females, and I think might be harder to acclimate to my own two cats. Buddy is a loveable, timid guy who purrs so loudly he whistles. *L* I am hoping that my own two will learn to get along with him, or at least accept the fact that he will be around for a while, possibly permanently. Yeah, wishful thinking isn't it? My daughter is also particularly fond of Buddy, and he is familiar with her from summer visits. I have a feeling he'll take to her when he arrives.

I have a goal. I am going to get through tomorrow OP. That's it, just one day. No biggie.

Have a wonderful tomorrow!
Old 11-06-2001, 07:18 AM   #25  

Hey guys. I had severe tooth pain starting Saturday morning, and finally got to my dentist yesterday afternoon. Turns out I had a cracked molar, and he sent me to an oral surgeon because he didn't think he could get me numb enough to extract it. After many shots of novocaine, the surgeon pulled it out without a problem. B/c of the pain, I didn't eat for most of yesterday -- just some broth and then a cup of mashed potatoes (low fat) later on at night. It still hurts, but nothing like it did before they pulled it!

WF, I hope DD is feeling better soon. Poor thing. Flower, I hope you're feeling better soon too! Lamorgan, good to hear from you again, and I'm glad you're doing well with your program. Amy, congrats on the 4 lbs.!! Goddess, LOL, I like the idea of "valuable stomach space" being a prized commodity! Great way to look at it.

I called one of the three places near me that offers the Opti Fast program, and my insurance company. Wow, you can't believe how expensive it is, and it's not covered by my insurance. So I have to make the decision if it's worth it. I also have to balance out the financial gain by my not buying groceries vs. the financial loss for what I'd be paying to this plan. I'm making a lot of money now on the p/t job (made $362 in the past week), so that would help offset the cost, but it's just a question of deciding if it's worth it, and if it isn't something I want to do b/c I'm too lazy to just follow a program. I know I'm guilty of a form of extreme thinking in that I'm dividing my life between "before I quit my job and become a full-time grad student" and after that. I want to lose weight before I do all that. At any rate, I'm definitely leaning toward doing it, but I think what I need to do is set a maximum amount I'm willing to spend on it, and promise myself to stop when I reach that amount, no matter how much weight I've lost. The other question, of course, is how long I can endure an 800-calorie/day liquid fast. But it just feels like what I need right now: a rapid weight loss program where I'd have short-term deprivation instead of months and months and months of reduced food intake, the latter of which obviously isn't working for me anyway. I also feel that, although this program provides education in nutrition and exercise and healthy living, I already know about all those topics, and I'm very unlikely -- extremely unlikely -- to gain the weight back. In fact, I will NEVER gain back this much weight again. The only other time I was ever significantly heavy was when I was pregnant. I'm not normally a fat person.

Well, thanks for listening to me ramble. I have been thinking a lot about this plan and I'm not sure yet what I'll decide. Clearly it's not a program for everyone; I just have to decide if I'm one of the people for whom it would spell success.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:30 AM   #26  
Must Shrink.

Good morning everyone! I worked all day yesterday and got my assignment in. Relief. Today I had a good start with my eating. I have hearty soup in the fridge, so I'll be able to make lunch and stay away from the children's leftovers. It's hard not to slide back into old habits as it starts to get colder out and food makes me feel so warm....

I couldn't help but giggle when Goddess mentioned how things were churning for Flower, and in the next post poor Flower was suffering the stomach flu! Hope your tummy has calmed down, Flower.
Take care all,
Lam
Old 11-07-2001, 02:20 PM   #27  
Must Shrink.

Discovered Skinny Sticks today! Ah bliss. The corn chips are 60 cal per cup.

L
Old 11-07-2001, 05:12 PM   #28  
deleted2

Day 20! My streak almost came to an end today when I was cutting up the 4 huge pans of fudge I made at work--The impulse to just eat up the little slivers that fall off the knife was pretty strong--watch out for that automatic eating! Got a good tip to share if you're in a food situation though: chew gum! Then it gives you time to reconsider as you're looking for a place to spit it out. I was chewing like a crazy woman! But I made it thru fudge-free!

Old 11-08-2001, 06:24 PM   #29  
Hot Stuff

Where is everyone?

Ruthie, how's the jaw after the tooth extraction? Was it cracked so badly that it couldn't be repaired? That's how all my problems started with my lower jaw. I cracked the front molar, and the efforts to repair and save the tooth have been ongoing for four years now. I have to get in for a root canal next, but have to come up with the $300 that my dental plan said they won't cover.

Oh, for some reason I'm relating Opti Fast to the program Oprah did all those years ago when she lost all that weight the first time. I'm probably wrong, though. I've actually had a rogue wandering thought in my head about maybe doing SlimeFest....er...Slim Fast for a few weeks to jump start again. I've been distracted with Amanda being so sick.

Speaking of her, she's turned the corner remarkably quickly. She had more bloodwork done yesterday to make sure her WBC is falling, and to check something that looked odd with her liver on the last test. She is returning to school on Monday. She is down to 97 pounds and was told by her doctor to gain the weight back. She's 5'8", so even 104 (which she was before she got sick) is low.

Ok, Lamorgan, spill. What are skinny sticks and where did you buy them? We're in the same neck of the woods, so I'm interested.

Goddess...you are amazing. I could never cut 4 pans of fudge without eating a single crumb!

Flower, how's it going?

Come on, I was never any good at solitaire.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:12 PM   #30  
you can call me flower

I am alive. I finally feel ok again. I pulled something in my back so no excersice but at least I can move around without feeling sick. I brought work home so I could keep my 3 day weekend, which now becomes a 4 day weekend thanks to Veterns Day.

I have been spending the last night trying to figure out my scanner. Driving me nuts!!!!!!

There really isn't much to report here. The job hasn't called, but it is still soon. They aren't opening for months. I have to figure out 2 birthday gifts for both my sisters by noon tommorrow. Fun!

I am up 2 pounds. Go figure. I fasted for 48 hours! Not my choice. And I am way down on calories. Guess it is all the carbs instead of fruits and veggies. The dry heeves has done a number on my tummy. Got heartburn big time. Trying to stay away from the fruit. Hopefully I will be back on track by the end of the weekend.

Take it easy friends and come and post. ~flower
Closed Thread