Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #16  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Isn't the whole reason for going to a steakhouse to be able to get their scrumptuous salmon? Nothing on the menu is better! Yum! People travel for miles to get the signature salmon dishes that most steakhouses serve. The chef/owner would be delighted to see that you all ordered something different - why would the chef want the whole table to order the same thing???? He couldn't show off!

I like the surf and turf idea EXCEPT beef would still be coming to MY plate, juices all running together, as IF it was what I was going to eat and it would ruin the meal for me to be ordering exactly what I'd said I was giving up. It would make me feel uncomfortable and I would probably resent him.

I don't really think it's sabotage but this is meaningful to you and therefore time for him to step up to the plate and be supportive. Have a good season.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #17  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by problysewin View Post
Geez, men and their meat....
Can't beat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys View Post
....... they are such simple creatures.........
Thank-you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I even suggested that we go out tonight instead. I don't know why he can't change it by one day! A friend wants us to go there sometime because the chef/owner is one of his good friends.

Is there more to this MARE?

He's just being a little boy. If I didn't think he'd like it so much, I'd give him a spanking.
Go ahead ~ you might LIKE IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaOfColumbia View Post
So, what are you giving up? Just Beef and Pork? Or really anything that moves on 4 legs? Alligator? Rabbit?

Are snakes OK? Would a 3 legged cow be OK? Is it just mammals you are avoiding? Or could you eat an oppossom if you wanted to? How about Kangaroos? They move around on 2 legs.... ..?
as Rachael says "YUM-O!" nutin' like some good 'ol possom and Kangaroo to warm the tummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
No offense, but I think it's cute when married couples bicker.

WHAT? you must be single!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
. I eat for ME and for MY goals - if anyone doesn't like it, that's tough.
I love strong women with attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBonita View Post
Men can never be wrong.
Thank-you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl View Post
My bf used to think that us having pizza for dinner was something special for me, and that getting it for me showed love.

-Aimee
Doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
yeah...dh gave "me" a laptop computer for Xmas. The only time I get on a computer I am nursing or holding the baby...ummmm laptops dont work for that. Besides, I have a perfectly good desktop and have never liked laptops and he knows I hate computer gifts. He bought it for HIM and was mad because I am not thrilled with the present.
Oh for pete's sake ~ put the darn laptop ON THE DESK! or next year you'll get a toaster
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #18  

I say go and have whatever you want -- if he's so into steak, he can have the 1 lb artery clogging steak with mashed potatoes and a loaf of bread -- he'll be so tired after eating all that he won't argue!!

I have learned to compromise -- due to the fact that my husband and I went to Disney World (when we were dating), we stood outside the Hard Rock Cafe for about 1/2 hour arguing about going in (I didn't want to ), so we went where I wanted to go -- the Neon Armadillo -- so that is where I have to tell everyone we got engaged, because that was what he had planned to do at the Hard Rock -- so compromise, compromise I must -- if done correctly, they will still feel like they are right (even when they aren't!!)
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:38 AM   #19  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
I say go and have whatever you want -- if he's so into steak, he can have the 1 lb artery clogging steak with mashed potatoes and a loaf of bread -- he'll be so tired after eating all that he won't argue!!

so compromise, compromise I must -- if done correctly, they will still feel like they are right (even when they aren't!!)
That's what I was trying to do by going tonight (Tuesday).

He knows that I don't order beef very often.

This place serves Kobe beef. It's expensive. I would have shared a steak or at least a bite with him tonight but not after I've made my obligation to myself Wednesday.

You are absolutely right! He is usually too tired to do much other than walk in the door and go straight to bed after one of those meals. Gee! Do you think that might be why he, too(!) has a weight problem?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:44 AM   #20  
I wanna be a loser, too

[QUOTE=EZMONEY;1580465]Can't beat it!
I don't even want to comtemplate that one

Thank-you!
On behalf of Marbleflys - you are welcome!

Go ahead ~ you might LIKE IT!
Actually, I prefer them. Thank you very much.

as Rachael says "YUM-O!" nutin' like some good 'ol possom and Kangaroo to warm the tummy.
Actually, I've had kangaroo. I rather like it. Hmmmm. Since they only use 2 legs...........

I love strong women with attitude!
You must if you keep coming here.

Gary, you are priceless! I'm so glad to call you my cyberpal.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:54 AM   #21  
I wanna be a loser, too

OK. Sheepish boobalah fixed a lovely dinner tonight.

I stopped by the German meat place next to work and got 2 fillet mignons. His was about 10 oz and mine was 6. I could eat half only. We'd gotten some 3 mushroom soup on Sunday. He fixed part of the container to go with the steak. He wrapped the steak in bacon which I didn't eat and he didn't complain. We had fresh asparagus, white no less. He fixed 2 big baked potatoes. Neither was a cheesy potato. I could only eat about a third of mine.

He even commented that he's come to realize that I'm serious about this.

DUH!!

He also looked at the menu plan that we'd made for the rest of the week. He now realizes that I'm not partaking when he has 4 legged animals on it. I've made a separate notation for myself.

This Friday will be fun. We're having a going away party for one of his guys. I don't know why he keeps having people over. After the remodel, I can't "hide" in the kitchen! I hate entertaining. He can't understand that because he thinks I'm outgoing. Well, I am on here and someone else's home. Not mine! He finally caught on to that last year. We've been together since the 80s. Sometimes geniuses are stupid people. (Yes, he is one).
Old 02-21-2007, 02:01 AM   #22  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
So, what are you giving up? Just Beef and Pork? Or really anything that moves on 4 legs? Alligator? Rabbit?
4 legs. However, we did discuss alligator. They are amphibian. The last time I had gator was 20 years ago. So, I don't think it will be an issue here.

Are snakes OK? I've had snake. I actually like it. It slithers, no legs.Would a 3 legged cow be OK? Now that's just mean to all the 3 legged cows out there. Is it just mammals you are avoiding? Or could you eat an oppossom if you wanted to? I may be southern, but there are some of us who haven't eaten that. However, at this time, I'd have to say no.How about Kangaroos? They move around on 2 legs.... AND aren't mammals....I like "roo".

How about frog legs? I saw some in the store just the other day. Are they disqualified by having 4 feet, even though they mostly swim?We actually discussed this, too. I like frog legs. However, it is not something that we eat on a regular basis, so I think it could be put off for a few weeks.

Or is it just about giving up things you regularly eat? Can you eat weird things you don't normally eat?I had wild boar Italian sausage the other night. I liked it because it is actually leaner than most meat and has a nice flavor. However, no more for a few weeks.

Sorry, my imagination ran away with me there.... I am curious, though. What exactly are the rules you've imposed on yourself?
I gave up beef last year. I added the extra challenge of giving up anything with 4 legs. beef pork etc.

I had fun with your post. Thank you. I didn't know how to feel at first, then came back in after a glass of wine and was having fun!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #23  
Aww, look at the bunny!

S/C/G: 200/174/162

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
How about Kangaroos? They move around on 2 legs.... AND aren't mammals....
Wait, what? Kangaroos are furry and have mammary glands, which makes them mammals. They're marsupial instead of placental (just like opossums) but they're very definitely in class Mammalia.

Also, to whoever said alligators are amphibians, amphibians are creatures who spend part of their life-cycle with gills, breathing underwater, and then develop lungs and breathe air. Alligators are born breathing air, and are therefore reptiles, not amphibians, even though they live in water.

Sorry, botched taxonomy bothers me. I'll get back to work....
twistedhoneydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #24  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBonita View Post
Men can never be wrong.
Tell me about it. Mine's never wrong, either. And if he gets 'caught' and realizes he totally screwed up, he finds a way to make it look like it's my fault.

lol

Whittlin, just eat chicken! And if your husband doesn't like it, that's too bad.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I have a good one for this thread....we ride ATV's (which I love!) Anyhow - he bought me a set of new tires for mine for Christmas - a very nice gift, and I needed them. BUT - (here's the kicker) He gets new tires whenever he wants them for NO reason - but MINE are my Christmas gift. Gotta love 'em!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #26  
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedhoneydew View Post
Wait, what? Kangaroos are furry and have mammary glands, which makes them mammals. They're marsupial instead of placental (just like opossums) but they're very definitely in class Mammalia.

Also, to whoever said alligators are amphibians, amphibians are creatures who spend part of their life-cycle with gills, breathing underwater, and then develop lungs and breathe air. Alligators are born breathing air, and are therefore reptiles, not amphibians, even though they live in water.

ACK!!! You are right!

I used to know that stuff! My memory is going. Senility approaches. I'd better start doing some sort of mental exercises to try and preserve what's left....
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #27  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedhoneydew View Post

Like I said, it was over 20 years ago. I don't think it will be an issue over the next several weeks.

Thanks for the correction. He's actually the one who said they are amphibian. LOL.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #28  
Claiming my perfect life.

S/C/G: 235/229/125

Height: 5'5

Well, I'm really new here, so I'm not sure I should but in, but true to form, I'm going to anyway.

You know, husbands often start to feel threatened when their wives start to change. Especially for the better. They're afraid you'll become too good for them. They're afraid you'll develope new interests and meet new people who might be more interesting. Some of the husbands who lean more toward abusive and controlling (and wives too, don't get me wrong,) are afraid that if you feel better about yourself and become more confident, they'll lose controll over you, and you might start making your own decisions.
Even mothers, sisters, and usually well meaning best friends will do things like bring over donuts for the first time in their LIVES right after it becomes apparant that you are serious about dieting. Or ciggarettes when you quit. Or take you to a club with a bar when you quit drinking. That sort of thing. Often, they don't even do it on purpose or really know they're doing it. Sometiems they do.
But the goal is to maintain status quo. A best friend who's always been the "skinny one" might be threatened if you were to be skinny too. A best friend who's always been fat WITH you will feel threatened if you start losing weight without her. And men, bless their souls, may think that other men will start to look at you, when they may have felt safe from that before. I don't know your husband, and I don't mean to badmouth him. I just wanted to mention that otherwise nice people do the sabotage thing ALL OF THE TIME. As long as you aren't giving in, and you are going forward anyway, he can whine all he wants. Don't let it make you feel bad. Eventually, like Dr. Phil says, he's going to have to get on board or look pretty silly whining in the corner while you're having a good time. Go ahead and have a good time.

JessicaBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 AM   #29  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

men. . .and. . .food. Enough said.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #30  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

cbmare, you're giving up beef and pork for Lent, which is a great sacrifice. But I am confused. You bought and ate beef filet yesterday, Ash Wednesday? There is no meat allowed on Ash Wednesday or on any Friday during Lent. Why did you choose to eat meat yesterday (I'm assuming you're a practicing Catholic since you are giving up your 4 legged food for Lent). Not trying to give you a hard time; I'm just curious.

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote