Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Robin - you absolutely have to put your health first here. My daughter had to have a hysterectomy at age 26. She never realized how much the fibroids affected how she felt. Once she had the surgery, she could not believe how much better she felt, and it was like immediately. I would get a 2nd opinion (just to make sure) and if the 2nd opinion is the same, get it done asap. Please keep us posted and I will keep you in my prayers.

Cindy
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:49 PM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Thank you Mrs. Quadcrew. I'm sorry your daughter had to go through that. I'm curious, if it's not too personal, in what way did she feel better? I'm assuming you mean other then period wise.

As far as my health I can't help but believe that surgery would be riskier at 199 lbs then say even 150 or so.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #18  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey rockin',

I had a friend who had a very large fibroid--something like the size of a 7-mo. old fetus--and it showed. It also caused her a lot of discomfort internally. She didn't like the idea of surgery. Upshot is that after she hit menopause, it disappeared completely.

Keep in mind that doctors always want to do surgery, and they always want to remove women's uteruses. There are way, way too many hysterectomies done in this country. Your dr. says she would have the surgery--but what would you expect her to say? She believes in that kind of medical approach.

It's a tough decision--I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do--but don't let anyone hurry you into a decision either way. This isn't a life-threatening situation. You have plenty of time to gather information and ask people about their experiences. And whatever you decide to do, feel good about your decision--don't try to second guess.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey Robin,
this sounds familiar to what my mom had...probably when she was a bit older than you are now (sometime in her mid-late 40s) and she had a complete hysterectomy, early menopause...the whole shebang. I can't say I know the details, I was very young then (she is almost 60 now) but I know her menopause symptoms were terrible, she had to take hormones and she had a real hard time finding the balance. Her major thing it seems is extreme hot flashes, pretty much all day long. She has also recently had breast cancer and I think the drugs she has to take for that make it worse. Its pretty safe to say it could be -200* and she'd be hot...
I would defiantly say do the research and get a second opinion, if you want I can certainly ask her about what she had and went through...she was also a nurse for 30 years so she's pretty familiar with all of these things... we're cool like that, we had cancer together (I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 2 days after her breast cancer diagnosis) so we're pretty comfortable with the medical questions since her medical history is basically my medical future with all the girlie stuff. let me know and I'll ask her and send you a PM
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:32 PM   #20  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Regarding doctors being paid more for a TVH/TAH vs. fibroid removal - completely false. In fact, sometimes fibroid removals are more costly due to blood loss issues.

If you're this uncomfortable with the idea of having surgery done, I'd seek a second opinion. You may not hear what you want to hear, or you may hear that surgery is completely unnecessary. Either way, it may make you feel more comfortable about making a decision. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid surgery at all costs. Any surgery has its risks and benefits, so you have to weigh both sides and see which side works best for you.

The chances of being unable to feel an orgasm after having a hysterectomy are fairly low, but it is a risk. Because your doctor feels that leaving your ovaries intact is a good plan, you most likely won't have the hormone issues that women who have an oophorectomy (removal of ovaries) have.

I'm not advocating you have or don't have the surgery because that's a completely personal choice. No matter what you decide, education is the key. Good luck!
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #21  
Believe

Height: 5"7

Robin
I usually post on another board, but i saw your question and thought i may be able to help. I worked for several years with a gynocologist and assisted with surgery so i know a little about this subject.
If your fibroid isnt causing you a major pain problem, i dont know why you couldnt wait to have it removed. I know alot of people who did just that, waited for it to cause a problem, or at a time better for them to have surgery.
As far as hysterectomy vs myomectomy(fiborid removal) that may depend exactly where the fiborid is. if it is attached to the uterus, you could probably have a myomectomy. if its in the inside wall of the uterus, a hysterectomy would probably be safer.
I have two friends in their 30's who recently had hysterectomies. both of them have said its the best thing they ever did. They have no more heavy periods, cramps, backaches from periods. They both said their sex lives have not been affected, but actually better.
i wish you luck in whatever you do. as some others have said, maybe you can seek another opinion.
good luck
futurediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #22  
mostly harmless

ACK! Start taking things out and you are risking pelvic prolapse, which really, really sucks. All those organs support each other inside and are interconnected. Take one out and the others move a bit, and can start bulging outwards. I've got a prolapse and it's terrifying at times- and limits what I can do and is generally a most unpleasant thing to have happen!

Please try looking at wholewoman.com, and/or asking questions on their messageboard. The surgical "cure" could be worse than the problem. There are lots of knowledgable people there, and I've seen fibroids talked about before, so you might find someone who could give you some good advice.

And who knows? The fibroids might shrink when you get rid of the extra fat which is making extra estrogen.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #23  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Thanks for your advice and thoughts on this matter everyone. The more I look into it, and the more I hear from you guys, I am in NO rush to remove my uterus just yet. I'm already compiling a list of questions for my doctor. The first thing that comes to mind is - so just what would be so bad if we leave the fibroid there and monitor it annually or however often she deems necessary to see how big it's getting. Now granted, I have the most horrible, horrible periods imaginable. But I most certainly can deal with it. Luckily I have not developed anemia because of it yet. I know that if I could just hang on til I get to menapause, that things could improve. I asked my mom last night when she started menapause, she said she was done by 54. Eleven years to go. Of course that doesn't mean that's when I'll go through it, I just wanted an idea. We shall see. I'll keep you posted.

MAria thank you for the website. I will definitely look into it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #24  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Some people go on the pill to try to control the bad periods. I am reluctant to do that. I'm 43 and not looking to go back on the pill. I've been off of it for years.
Let me add this: I am 43 also. I've never given birth. I used to get the most HORRIBLE periods, crazy bleeding, wild mood swings, cramps beyond this world... I've been on & off the pill (different brands) since I was 15 years old, trying to get ahold of this lovely woman crap. I sometimes had the most horrible migraines, which is why I kept getting OFF the pill. I've had several cysts that grow & burst, grow & burst, grow & burst. They have proven to be a pain in the.... uterus. BUT FINALLY - I am seemingly out of that loop. Here's why:

Last year at my annual pap visit, my doctor gave me the oh-so-happy news that I AM OFFICIALLY IN PERIMENOPAUSE. I get hot flashes like the devil. My periods started going wanky... one period for 14 days, then nothing for a couple or three months, then one for 2 days, then one a week later, etc. My sleep patterns were disruptive to say the least. Whether I had a "bleeding" period or not, I was cramping like a banji!!!! - My OB/GYN finally convinced me to try a new birth control pill. It is supposedly special-made for women over 40 -for as you know, they try to discourage us from taking the pill after 40. The pill is called YAZ. I take it for 3 months straight, without the 5-7 white pills, so I only have a period 4 times a year. My cramps have practically disappeared altogether. My skin cleared up! I DON'T get headaches! and I don't have to worry about pregnancy at this age (thank the goddesses!!!) YAZ may not be right for you - but it has really helped me. I haven't had a cyst in a LONG TIME.

Still -I'd get another opinion if I were you - about the surgery. That's just a smart thing, no matter what kind of surgery you're told you need.

Good luck - & please keep us informed on how it all goes.

WOOOOOMAN POWWWWWERRRRRRR!!!!! Heh.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #25  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Robin!

You know you can take Slow Iron even if you haven't TECHNICALLY been diagnosed with anemia. It would make sense to get your iron level first which can be found when you donate blood or at the doctor's office. Signs that your iron is low is if you get tired easily and if you get out of breath easier than before. II experienced both before I started taking the Slow Iron pills. I'd get your level checked now rather than wait to become anemic!

Oh, and thanks so much for introducing me to FitDay! I think I may have figured out what caused my former weight loss stall! I think I was eating way too many carbs in relation to the proteins that I was having per day. Using FitDay I can adjust as I go throughout the day and also monitor my exercise/calories eaten ratio. I also like that I can keep a journal right on the site. That will also help me spot no-nos that I want to avoid.

Don't worry too much about the fibroid, Robin! My first one was inside me for at least five years, and the doctor says with my history of irregular periods, I may have had it growing since puberty! My second one that caused all my latest hubbub would have started growing shortly after I had my second son in 1988. Trouble with the heavy bleeeding didn't begin until 2000. From 2004-2005 I had sporadic periods following those four years of THE RED SEA. Since the end of my periods and being in menopause I have no periods, no discomfort at all, and the fibroid has shrunk. It has been inside me for 18 YEARS! As I said before, fibroids are rarely ever cancerous, and I believe the statistic is 1 in 4 women have them.

Take care!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I don't really know a lot about fibroids, I do know a LOT about bad bad periods. I control mine with the pill now.. but have looked for NATURAL ways to help rather than taking drugs. Fish oil seems to relieve cramps, it works amazingly!! I get cramps that can keep me bed ridden for days, also calcium seems to help as well.

On that note, have you looked at natural therapies? I'm a firm believer that our bodies can heal themselves with some gentle nudging, I own "Prescription for Nutritional Healing". Its suggesting Laparoscopic Myolysis - which is sometimes used for treatment of larger fibroids. What they do is use a laser or electric current, delivered by special needles, to burn the fibroid and shrink it. It can also be done on an outpatient basis. It really stresses that you should g ive it careful consideration because many hysterectomies are unnecessary.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Robin - I am sorry I took so long responding to your question. Make sure you research your options, and be very careful about the sites you visit for info. some of them are so biased (anti -surgery stuff to the scary point - which is unfortunate) it isn't funny. It is your body, you need to do what is right for YOU. Surgery is a risk, no matter how you look at it, but sometimes it is well worth the risk you take.

In my daughter's case - it was very much worth the risk. She was miserable before having the surgery. It was NOT an option for her. She had terrible periods, horrbile cramping, very heavy bleeding. (and she had this for several years) She also had PMS and another syndrome, which I can't think of the name of right now. So - she was in terrible moods and in pain 3 out of 4 weeks a month. A couple of days after her surgery, she just was in awe at how much better she felt. She (of course) had the pain of the surgery itself still going on, but she said it was so diffilcut for her to explain to me ~ she just FELT so much better. She wished she had the surgery much earlier than she did. She had put it off as long as she possibly could because she wanted to have children. (she never was able to conceive - even with very invasive proceedures) That was the hardest thing for her to deal with - so you see, it was a very difficult decision for her to make.

I truely hope you can get through this without surgery. BUT, I just want you to know also, that surgery is something that is very helpful to some people. You look at all the options and discuss it with your Dr. (and be sure to get that 2nd opinion) and then make the decision that is right for YOU.

hugs,
cindy
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #28  
~*Dreams Can Come True*~

S/C/G: 238/240/130

Height: 5'4

you need to put your health first here. you have done so well with your weight loss, you should have the right frame of mind by now to withstand this. i know you can do it! don't let this little bump in the road get in the way of your dreams.
jen1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #29  
mostly harmless

I usually get terrible cramping with my period, but tried extra magnesium supplements this last one-- and the pain diminished by at least 75% It took a lot of magnesium- close to 1500 mg spread throughout the day- but it did the trick. I'm taking increased magnesium for other reasons- but this really, really helped the period. I'd heard magnesium would help that and PMS, and had been taking one pill a day--but decided to try higher dosage after reading a book about it. If you take too much, then you can get diarrhea-- but since I have been chronically constipated for most of my life- I figured that would be a bonus! (didn't happen, by the way!)

Magnesium is used in hundreds of cellular reactions, so if you are deficient- you can have all sorts of things go wrong. When muscle fibers contract, they use calcium. When they release, they use magnesium. If you are short on magnesium- they have trouble unclenching and voila! A muscle cramp.

Magnesium really helps cramping.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #30  
Mel

Robin- One of the things that I would ask your doc is to do a blood test to determine your current hormone levels. If you are in perimenopause already, losing more weight asap can throw you into menopause. In addition to your ovaries, the only other cells in your body that can produce estrogen are the fat cells in your abdomen. As you go through menopause, those cells try frantically to compensate for the decreasing estrogen levels from your ovaries. That's why women in their 40's and 50's usually put on weight around their middle: "menopause pot".

I was in perimenopause when I lost the large chunk of my weight. At 45, my periods were horrible. By the time I turned 46 and had lost 60 pounds, they were gone (mostly). I'd suffered from endometriosis for 25 years, so this was a huge blessing! A very welcome side effect of weightloss, because my gyno had been urging me to have a complete hysterectomy for a few years because I was in such pain.

If you find that you are already in peri and medically can wait, you may have the same thing happen when your weight get low enough to deplete your estrogen levels.

If you can't wait, ask about vaginal vs. open incision hysterectomies. Healing from a vaginally done one is a lot faster.

Get another opinion, but as another poster mentioned, don't let scare tactics keep you from having a medically necessary procedure if it really is necessary

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote