Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #46  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The facts that I believe is that we are very adaptable beings and can healthfully live on a variety of diets. The foods you mention are not only high carb but high fat and high salt, why do you blame the carb but not the fat or salt? If you read End of Overeating, it will talk about the high fat/high carb/high salt triad and how they can work to be addictive and how companies use that to their advantage. You mention fries/chips but how about regular old potatoes? Most people don't binge eat potatoes unless there is something else going on psychologically.

You say that 70% of the world is carb intolerant (without any proof) but most of the world has eaten a high carb diet for thousands of years. Why do you think obesity blew up in the 80s in the US? Yes I'm sure it is because you think it is low fat diets but there is plenty of evidence that people haven't followed low fat diets. They have done the opposite.

We also have plenty of evidence on this site of people who have followed moderate to high carb eating plans, have lost weight and kept it off. There are also plenty of other examples out in the world.

From what I've seen in the LCHF world is that they cherry pick data and seem to hold up a few names as their gurus. I'm not saying LCHF is bad, doesn't work, etc. As I said, humans are very adaptable. And if you find a certain method isn't working for you, the good thing is there are lots of ways you can tweak and things you can try. For me, LCHF wouldn't work but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone. All my weight loss and weight maintenance has been moderate to high carb. That doesn't mean I think everyone should follow me.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #47  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh and in term of insulin spikes, there has been lots of research on the glycemic index and glycemic load. The issue is commonly where you are constantly having quick spikes from high glycemic foods but mixing with other foods can lower the insulin spikes and there are plenty of foods that can give you an even steady insulin response. Insulin is a normal function of the body. Blood sugar is an important thing and with too low a blood sugar you die, with too high your body goes haywire. But there is plenty of evidence that you can keep your blood sugar in the optimal range with a moderate to high carb diet. There has even been studies where diabetics were able to have no sign of diabetes after following a moderate to high carb diet. They weren't eating chips and fries but a lot of whole foods including grains.

Also, I've mentioned before but there has been a lot of recent research on exercise and insulin resistance/diabetes. Even a moderate amount of exercise can reduce insulin resistance.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

There is a reason doctors recommend certain things and not others. I understand that the medicine is always being updated, and it can take a little time for research to catch up with the overall medical community. But remember, medicine is based off science. It is not this abstract thing that someone just decided this is how we treat certain diseases. It is based off of scientific studies, many of them, with repeated results. Doctors have years of medical training that most of us (unless any of us are doctors) have not had.

I understand that perhaps what the doctors recommend may not work for you personally. But what they recommend does work for many other, myself included. I have lost 10 pounds in a month by following HCLF. I understand that you believe eating low carb is the best method, and perhaps it is for you. But I don't think that you should bash other forms of diets or blame them for our obesity problems just because they don't work for you.

I am sorry if I am sounding harsh, but I just don't think that because something doesn't work for you means it is the most horrible diet in the world.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #49  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Diamondgeog - I went back and read your very first post on 3FC in 2001 titled "My weight loss success" where you say "I have done a bit of research on the web and I can gaurantee you that those 6 areas are the best and ultimately the only way to lose weight."

Pretty strong words you used then: Guarantee and Best and Only.

And your methods then had nothing to do with LCHF. You were as enthusiastic about your methods and research then as you are about your methods and research now.

I only point this out to you because I often feel when reading your posts that you let your own personal experiences color your view of the available science such that your make very broad generalizations and use almost scaremongering language (with the best of intentions, I know). It's a bit off-putting.

Just something for you to consider.

I've personally lost weight both with both LCHF and as a vegan, and I much prefer being a vegan. And my bloodwork is great. But that's me.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 06-19-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #50  
it's always something

Mrs Snark, I appreciate your comments and I agree with you.

I'm going to close this thread since it's not going anywhere productive. Thanks everyone
Closed Thread