Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Do US fast food outlets display calories?

News in the UK is that KFC and others have signed up to a govt. initiative to display the calorie content of their meals in their outlets.

Seems a good idea to me but there's huge controversy now, so many people saying it's government interference run mad.

I just can't understand their problem. They're not being told not eat it, they're just being told the calorie content, then the choice is up to them.

Why are people so head-in-the-sand resistant to knowing the truth about what they eat?
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #2  
Workin' It

Some states have this law here currently, New York is the biggest current example. Others have voted it in or are working towards it, California, Mass I think. There is a lot of controversy over it here, too. Restaurant associations are against it because of the cost involved in new signage, the requirement to stick to standard menu builds to standardize the calorie count, the business impact, etc. There are also the groups that don't like government interference.

I personally think it isn't a bad idea, and I work in the restaurant industry.

ETA - most of the big fast food chains here already have nutrition info on their websites - some also have handouts or posters in the restaurant as well.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 04-06-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #3  

I'm not sure what the law is in my state, but I remember when I worked at McDonalds (15 years ago) that we had the list and were required to show it if anyone asked. I don't know if that was the restaurant's policy or a law. I think it should be much more accessible.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't think it's government interference run mad. As you said, they're not telling anyone what to eat. Simply giving information to those who want it so they at least *can* choose. Is it also govt interference to have labels on food in the grocery store? Perhaps we should repeal all those.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well most restaurants at least have their calorie contents posted online or you can request the information at the stores.

I think part of it is once people see how many calories they are eating- they'll be less inclined to go. I mean imagine my shock when I was seeing a large fry at Mcdonald's was like 600 calories and that I'd be eating an average of 1500 calories when I go out to eat? I definitely have cut out my eating out to almost NOTHING since I've been trying to lose weight.

There are those that say "well people should KNOW the calories in this stuff" but IMO bottom line is many people don't. They don't realize how much more fat restaurants use vs. cooking at home. I know I never truly realized how much worse some of the stuff we ate out was!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

The sad part is that there are people who see the calorie amount and still eat it! It's kinda like how up in Canada they put nasty pictures on the cigarette packs.. people still smoke..
The hope is that some people will see the amount and decide not to eat it. There are people who respond to it, including myself. Restaurants also don't like it because it could mean a loss in some business. As people see how many calories are in their foods, they may think twice about going to that venue..
DH and I strive to stay away from fast food as much as possible. Which is hard for our line of work. I don't work, but I work with Dh.. He's a process server. When we work, we're in the car for about 5 or 6 hours each day.. It's hard to pack the right foods to keep us full!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #7  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

I know that at McDonalds (at least here, not sure if it is everywhere) the trays have those little paper covers for them and if you flip them over they have nutritional information on them for everything.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Mass just passed a law last week that "chain restaraunts", meaning 8 or more in the state, now have to post & display all calorie & nutritional information. Not just have a sheet, like McD's does that you can ask for that is prob buried in the back room somewhere, but actually display the calorie content ON THE MENU, NEXT TO THE PRICE! I for one am super exicted. I can remember when I first started calorie counting going out to eat with my husband, I think it was TGIF, and ordering some type of salad, and then getting some and finding out on dailyplate that my lovely salad was almost 1,300 calories!!!!! I'm glad that governments have stepping in and are allowing us to make more informed decision as far as what we eat when we are out in the public... it's about time!
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:04 AM   #9  

I guess I just don't feel it should be necessary for the government to tell me that eating at fast food restaurants and/or eating what are obviously oversized portions at any restaurant is bad for me. To me, it's more about learning to exercise a little common sense and stopping the self-delusion. Cooking at home is healthier for me than eating fast food, and no one is forcing me to eat everything that's on the plate anyway. The government feels the need to tell us because they assume we're too stupid (or lazy?) to figure it out for ourselves. That may sound harsh to some, but I don't need the government to tell me when I'm overeating -- when I take a long hard HONEST look at myself, I already know.
Luckybustert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:12 AM   #10  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Many chain restaurants post their nutritional info online at least (and some in the restaurants). I think this is wonderful info to have as it made me realize that most items in restaurants are way too fattening. And what is also very helpful is the allergen info (tons of soy in almost everything) and things like the amount of sodium (LOTS of it).

One of our big local chains, Friendly's, is now finally posting their nutritional info. You would think it would deter people from eating there (the chicken slider mini sandwich appetizer has 1990 calories and 4690mg of sodium!!) as almost all of the selections (even salads) have a huge amount of calories, fat & sodium. But when I drive by the parking lot is always full. I guess some like me will use this info and others will continue to blame the clothes dryer for their tight clothes.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

Here in NY it is a law and I'm glad for it. The first time I saw the calories on the yellow board in front of my face I drove away shocked. Also if I'm in one of those situations where fast food is the only option I make better choices.

Funny, McD's wanted to create a healthier image of themselves and they were the biggest oppositor when this law was proposed.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybustert View Post
I guess I just don't feel it should be necessary for the government to tell me that eating at fast food restaurants and/or eating what are obviously oversized portions at any restaurant is bad for me. To me, it's more about learning to exercise a little common sense and stopping the self-delusion. Cooking at home is healthier for me than eating fast food, and no one is forcing me to eat everything that's on the plate anyway. The government feels the need to tell us because they assume we're too stupid (or lazy?) to figure it out for ourselves. That may sound harsh to some, but I don't need the government to tell me when I'm overeating -- when I take a long hard HONEST look at myself, I already know.
I disagree. I have been calorie counting for years, and I still fall into traps eating out at restaurants. There are plenty of people who order seemingly healthy entrees like fish, grilled chicken sandwiches, or salads not realizing that said healthy item was doused in butter, oil, dressing, mayo, cheese, etc. Unless you are ordering loaded cheese fries, I would say that people most definitely do NOT know how bad a choice they are making (myself included).

I've introduced several people to the Daily Plate who were shocked by how many calories they were actually eating. Imagine the power of having those numbers on the menu boards across the entire country. Talk about enormous change! Would some people still order the high calorie items? Yes, some of them would. But enough people would stop ordering those things and the restaurants would be forced to create products that consumers want (smaller portions and fewer calories).
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #13  
Operator265

I think there's is a big difference between information and regulation. To me, this is the right way to go. They aren't taxing more or banning, both of which I feel are atrocious ideas. They are simply requiring bisiness to give the information necessary for consumers to make informed decisions.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

See I would love to see the 8 store rule applied nationally. You can't tell me that they don't have a specific recipe they work off of. If they don't know how much of each various ingredient they're using how do they calculate cost per item and meal price?

Personally I don't eat at any major restaurant that does't post their calorie information. Once a month I'll go to a small local restaurant that doesn't have access to the scale that makes lab work practical but even that I guesstimate. Here's an example. There are 2 24 hour all night diners in my area. One has nutritional information available online. The second had a note on their website saying "We trust our guests to make the right choices" and no information about what their food contained. Having worked in the 2nd restaurant I know for a fact that even the grilled chicken is marinated in oil and they add pancake mix to their eggs. So if you order a 3 egg omlette you might think you could do the math for 3 eggs, hold the cheese + X amount of veggies or you might think x ozs of chicken breast is X calories but you'ld be wrong. So even though the information on the first website is scary it's where I go when I want a late night fix and never go to the 2nd one even though I honestly prefer their food.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I love the idea! I'd love to see that information, I don't go to fast food places hardly at all but I'd love to see it everywhere, even chain non-fast food restaurants. On a side note, pancake mix in omelettes? What??? I've never even heard of that and now I'm starting to wonder if I've eaten it and not even known it, yikes!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote