Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #31  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannanA View Post
I like that interview--she specifically says she's not promoting obesity. She also mentions she eats healthily (I hope that's true--I have no idea what she eats) and exercises. She also says she's just doing this because it's what she wants to do, not because she's trying to be any kind of icon breaking through barriers or whatever. This makes me like her even more because she seems like just a sweet, normal girl with no agenda.

Last edited by jillybean720; 04-22-2008 at 05:56 AM.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #32  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I think she is drop-dead gorgeous. I only skimmed through the articles and what annoyed me was the following:

<quote>
I hope she doesn't win the Miss England title.

It would send an appalling - and very dangerous - message to other young women that it's OK to be fat.

</quote>

Even though I don't care much about beauty pageants, I hope Chloe DOES win the Miss England title. She may be overweight, but she is still beautiful. I don't know where it is written that only skinny gals qualify as beauty queens. Yeah, it's great is somebody has the body to be sleek and with perfect BMI, but we are not all cast by the same mold. Some of us WILL have bigger boobs, bigger bottoms, bigger thighs or any other body parts, and so what?
The fashion industry with its waif models is portraying a very unrealistic picture of what women should look like and unfortunately, the clothing manufacturers follow right behind. I may lose a lot of weight, but I will never be one of those sleek women because my body simply is not built that way. I could probably maintain it at that level, but at what cost? I want to live my life and to sacrifice in pursuit of some idealized image that my body is not comfortable with.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

If that's fat, then I want to be fat too! She looks fabulous.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

My girlfriend says her face is too thin for her body and believes the photo has been retouched. She also wonders why they didn't retouch the rest of her
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #35  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
My girlfriend says her face is too thin for her body and believes the photo has been retouched. She also wonders why they didn't retouch the rest of her
That struck me as really mean for some reason, like she looks so horrible she needs to be retouched. I (and many others) would practically kill to look like her and have her body.

I do not believe the photo has been retouched at all. She's winning pageants because she DOES have a beautiful face (among other things), no retouching required.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #36  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Her photo might have been retouched, or she just might have a naturally thin head.

I never gain much weight in my face, so I'm usually a "pin head," too. I have a relatively small double chin now (though many women my size have triple chins), but I've always had a head that belonged on a much thinner body. When I was around 250 lbs, and in college I would always get in arguments with my mother over my hair. She wanted me to have a short, low volume hair style because it made my face "look thinner." I agreed that it made my head look small - way too small for my body. With long, full hair at least I seemed more proportional, not like a snow man whose head is melting faster than the body.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #37  

Pageants suck, but good for her. She looks terrific.
vegani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #38  

Height: 5 foot 2 and a half (Don't forget the half lol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I think that's where I get hung up--she "looks" healthy? I think that is the problem right there. Being thin or a medically accepted "normal" weight does not always equate to healthy. I'm over 300 pounds and have had friends with GREAT looking bodies who were not flexible enough to touch their toes (which I can easily) and didn't have the stamina to complete a 30-minute Tae Bo workout (which I can easily).

Yes, being overweight carries some increased health risks, but it does not automatically make one any less healthy than a thinner person.
I agree completely. She doesn't look underweight but she doesn't look healthy either. I'd need to see her insides before judging on that. Britney Spears "looked healthy" but now admits that she was bulimic.
Heavenseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #39  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I feel sorry for her. She's really getting hammered by the media.
Isn't a British 16 the equivalent of a US 12 ?That's not big and she looks great in the photos.

Last edited by Magrat; 05-08-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: punctuation
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Off topic: I don't think there's anything wrong with being size 16...but that one swimsuit she is wearing is wayyy to small for her.

She must be a US 16,...def. doesn't look like a 12 (my size).

Last edited by CrazedLedZepFan; 05-09-2008 at 03:16 PM.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Jillybean720 - i think you hit the nail on the head, I mean look at her stomach which is flat!! I personally didnt look as good as her at 12 stone 8lbs, so I think its really unfair of that article to assume shes lazy because she is slightly overweight. The article is not only being cruel to this young girl but also to the majority of the British population who are a size 16.
I have actually printed off her picture as a source of motivation for me to aspire to, I personally am aiming for a size 14 eventually. I admire that girl for posing in a unflattering bikini and standing up for the average woman.
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

My take on this:
The second article was a bit mean... however it does have a point. Going past the rubbish that she's a horrible role model blah blah blah.. it does send a message to people that it is acceptable to be overweight.
Everyone here knows the health risks involved with obesity. And yes there are skinny people who are less healthy than 300lb people. However, its still not healthy.
We all are here to lose weight because we know that it isn't healthy. What message is this sending out to people: It's "ok" to be overweight.... If I thought it was "ok" to be overweight, I would not be on this forum and I would not be exercising and eating healthy.
The article was wrong for accusing her of being lazy, she may workout everyday, who knows? The article is wrong for beating her up like that!
I give her a lot of credit for standing up and taking a picture of herself in a bikini and showing it to the whole world, I don't, and probably never will, have that confidence. So, I give her credit. She is only 17 years old.... that really is setting her up for a lot of heartache and heart problems at an early age.
The best role model is not a size 0 and its not a size 16 either (if we're just basing a role model off of weight and clothing size).. It is someone who is inbetween all of that...
Again, this is my take on all of this. It is simply my opinion. I don't agree with the article writers beating her up, but I do agree with a point or 2..
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #43  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I absolutely agree that a good diet and exercise are a good idea, no matter what size you are- in fact, that's my biggest beef with the fat acceptance movement- some people interpret that as self-loathing, which it certainly isn't- just the opposite.

Still, these articles really do upset me. My nutritionist is great, but a good number of nutritionists have this knee-jerk reaction to obesity which I find very disturbing. Some people really don't have the potential to be at the "ideal" weight for their height through normal diet and exercise. I'm reminded of an interview I saw with the founder of a fat acceptance organization who said that to maintain a healthy BMI she had had to eat 800 calories a day and exercise for two hours a day. The nutritionist ignored her, and kept ranting about how you might not notice the cream in your coffee. You know, that woman may be fat, but she is certainly not that stupid, and she looked great at 180 pounds and 5' 3". Nutritionists, and people in general, seem to have this idea that because they can lose weight by mildly reducing their caloric intake that anyone who doesn't lose weight the same way is doing it wrong, which is just so clearly not true.

I'm not bashing thin and medium sized people. They have a kind of genuine beauty. I just wish that society would acknowledge that there are other kinds. I absolutely am not a proponent of laziness and overeating- I eat 1200 calories a day or less and at the moment I'm exercising hard about 3 hours a day (conditioning for a specific purpose- usually it's more like 1 hour) and doing enough strength training that I'm constantly sore. And you know what? I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm not thin. I'm losing weight, because at the moment I'm able to maintain a calorie deficit with eating and exercising like this, but I'm not thin. And furthermore, I never WAS. Not at the age of FIVE was I at a "healthy" weight. I was the adorable sort of chubby, and I was able to do everything that kids do just fine, but I was still overweight. Some people are just built differently, and it's not right to automatically exclude them from the possibility of beauty.

And furthermore, even if someone is eating too much, so what? Do you see articles about how smoking, or consuming excessive amounts of carcinogenic fake sugars makes models bad role models? Even for people who are fat, and got there because of bad choices, I hate the idea that the best way to make them change is to make their lives a living **** until they eventually do whatever it takes to not feel constantly ashamed and judged by every single person they meet.

I'm all for this girl, and she really is beautiful. Good for her.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #44  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I don't like the article because what the writer is saying to the world is every one who is "not thin" is fat, lazy and a poster child for ill health... I'd like to see what the writer looks like... could she be jealous or prejudice hmmmmm.

I think that girl is BEAUTIFUL!!! I'd love to have her figure and face. Good for her !!!!

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

I have to agree that it's completely absurd to judge someone's health habits based on their appearance (to a degree, I suppose -- because if you weigh 600 pounds, I can probably guess that you're not a hardcore exerciser at the current moment). If this girl weighs 176 at 5'10", she's hardly promoting "obesity" since she's nowhere near obese. Last year I ran a half marathon at 5'9" and around 175 pounds, and I was the healthiest I've ever been. I was running at least 35 miles a week in training (and I'm not exactly young either). I looked better than I ever have, but if you put me in a swimsuit, many people would never have guessed that I was a runner or that I exercised at all. I'll never wear a swimsuit in public in my life because of the damage I've done to my body, but that doesn't mean I'm not healthy. If I can outrun the thin teenage girls on my cross country team, then appearance means very little.

I'm not a fan of the beauty pageant in general, but I think this young woman represents a positive trend in pageants and I would love to believe she won't be the last one.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote