Roasted Cauliflower!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Well, I actually was very poor at the time and needed to make a meal. So I googled what I could do with cauliflower as a side dish. This recipe is so yummy! It brings out the sweet taste of cauliflower and it's just yum! I don't add parmesan cheese like the recipe calls for, just some salt, pepper, oil, and sometimes a bit of lemon juice.

2 tbsp minced garlic
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 large head cauliflower separated into florets
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    salt and pepper to taste
    1tbsp fresh parsley

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a large casserole dish.
    2. Place the olive oil and garlic in a large resealable bag. Add cauliflower, and shake to mix. Pour into the prepared casserole dish, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
    3. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley, and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
  • Yum sounds delicious. Fresh grated parmesan cheese has awesome nutrition qualities (an ounce has about 120 cals, 11g protein, and 35% calcium). I might lightly steam the cauliflowerr in the microwave first, then shake the mix in the bag, then put under the broiler to carmelize the parm on top.

I also love baked broccoli with oil, salt and pepper. The broccoli carmelizes nicely. For my husband, I'll also bake skinned chicken legs rubbed with oil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I don't eat this anymore (gave up meat a few years ago), but it's very yummy. I'll eat the broccoli with some broiled low-fat cheddar cheese (or fresh grated parm cheese) with a side of bake potatoe. Yum.
  • Eating it right now. I roast at 350 degree's in a convection oven until brown, add red peppers for color and a salt/pepper blend with chili flakes. Yummy
  • Great idea I'll have to try this out!
  • Now, that sounds good thanks for post your recipe. I’m definitely trying it as soon as I get a head of cauliflower. I bet you can cook other veggies the same way.

One tip I got from watching Foodie T.V. is that some Mediterranean people put lemon on their potatoes. I tried it with a bit of diet butter and sour cream and it was good. Now, I don’t even need the butter and sour cream, I just use lemon on the potatoes and it saves me a lot of calories.
  • Perfect - I've been wondering what to do with the head of cauliflower that is in the refrigerator.
  • Let me know what you think after you try it bookwmn1! It's yum, I bet you'll love it!
  • I roasted the cauliflower and it is DE-LICIOUS! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Nancy

"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it will change the world for that one dog."
  • Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing. I love the versatility of the cauliflower.
  • Roasted cauliflower is amazing!! I roast it and mash with an immersion blender, at some fat free sour cream for creaminess and you have the PERFECT replacement for mashed potatoes!!! Soooo good. Can also just steam the cauliflower and do this instead of roasting, both delicious.
  • Sounds so good,I'm going to give it a try.

• My grandmother used to make this without the parsley, and we all loved it. My mother and her siblings called it, and several other dishes, "Depression Food" because that is when my grandmother started making it. She never stopped, just added to it, as time went on.
  • I think roasted brocolli will taste better with the same ingredients as yours
  • My grandmother always roasted cauliflower, asparagas, winter squash, beets, potato wedges..........She would put a little green olive oil on whatever vegetable she had, then roast it. She sometimes had my grandfather cook it outdoors on the grill. She did refer to the cauliflower as "depression food," but not to any of the others.
  • Bob Harper's recipe is similar, but he has us blanching the cauliflower for a couple minutes before roasting.

Backing up what another person says...lemon helps too!

For 40 years I've despised cauliflower, but this recipe has helped me eat and enjoy it with grilled cod and chicken