Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/213/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Huge milestone for me!

I hate veggies. I mean, most make me want to throw up just from the smell. There are only 3-4 I will eat, and they aren't the best of the bunch. And to be honest I can't remember the last time I ate a veggie other than potatoes, most likely it has been a few years.

Anyway for lunch I went out to eat with my husband. We went to Applebee's and I ordered Garlic Herb Chicken, it came with the chicken, one roasted red potato, and broccoli. I wasn't about to touch the broccoli, I have never tried it, and said I never would...but I DID TRY IT!!!! I made myself eat 3 bites of it. It wasn't as nasty as I thought it would be, but it wasn't good either, and 3 was all I could force myself to do. I did it though! I almost cried I was so proud of myself. LOL It sounds silly but my hate for veggies is extreme and has been my entire life. I just had to share.
SarahMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #2  

That is wonderful Sarah! If you read this whole thread plus hang out at 3FC you will get lots of tips for enjoying those vegetables. As your weight loss journey progresses you will also find that not only are the little buggers good for you, they have fiber and megatons of nutrients that will make you feel good, keep you healthy, fill you up, and (major drumroll please..) they are so so so so low in calories- the best bargain.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/275/170

Height: 5'5"

Good job! I made myself try cauliflower a few weeks ago, and it was AWFUL! Broccoli will be my next experiment, I think.
RachelOnADiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelOnADiet View Post
Good job! I made myself try cauliflower a few weeks ago, and it was AWFUL! Broccoli will be my next experiment, I think.
Try roasting your broccoli in the oven. It adds a ton of flavor and texture. Even my 10 year old veggie hating brother likes roasted broccoli, so it may be a good way for you to ease into the awesomeness that is veggies!
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/208/165

Height: 5'4"

here's something to try next time............ try melt a SMALL amount of low fat cheese on top of steemed broccoli....... or squirting some lemon juice over it (my fave)
Azbstsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

I second the roasted broccoli - in fact roast any veggie - they are awesome!
Roasted red peppers, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, sweet potatoes, asparagus, mushrooms - YUM!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #7  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azbstsgrl View Post
here's something to try next time............ try melt a SMALL amount of low fat cheese on top of steemed broccoli....... or squirting some lemon juice over it (my fave)
I love putting shredded lowfat cheddar on my broccoli. But, I also just love broccoli plain so I'm not much help...

Although, I've read that having a SMALL amount of fat with your veggies helps the fat soluble vitamins in them absorb into your body better. So there's another reason for the Cheese. haha
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #8  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 351/351/220

Height: 5'9"

I can totally relate to your accomplishment! I am a fellow veggie hater and can relate on so many levels. One step at a time right? I *hope* to be following in your food- steps soon
Gigglesquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/170

Height: 5" 10'

I've always had a problem with veggies, and don't know if I'll ever totally love them. However I've found them really useful for bulking out meals and it's like they are helping me out.
If I only had a cup of rice for dinner I'd still be hungry, but if I add sweetcorn, carrots, broccoli, peppers I'm totally full.
I'm starting to think as veggies as more of a helpful friends than an enemy.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 293/248/150

Height: 5'8"

When I first came here I was a self-professed veggie hater. I read a lot of good advice in this forum, such as if you think you don't like a vegetable, try cooking it different ways, and that it takes eating something several times before you get used to it.

I basically forced myself to eat vegetables for a month. I mean forced. I was choking them down. Now, I'm eating them every day and not even thinking about it.
Lachelle is offline   Reply With Quote