Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #1  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Thumbs down "Boss Hog" article in Rolling Stone

I thought this would be thread-worthy in this section. Did anyone happen to catch the article in the most recent edition of Rolling Stone Magazine titled, "Boss Hog" about Smithfield farms (the one with Snoop Dogg on the cover)? It's about the horrifying practices of the Smithfield Farms, which is the third largest pork manufacturer in the world. I have never been a pork person, but this article makes not want to go anywhere near the pork aisle for the rest of my life. It depicts the hog farms in N. Carolina as these seas of pink sludge, where carcasses wash up on shores and it has all but destroyed the eco system. Pigs produce 3x the waste that humans do and that farm alone produces 26 tons of waste.

Where does it go?

The article completely blew me away and I strongly reccommend reading it. I was particularly appalled by how the company, which has the largest environmental fine in history under its belt, is hoping to expand to poorer Slavik countries.

Did anyone happen to catch this article? Thoughts? I don't know why, but it affected me more than Fast Food Nation did.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Ewww! I'll have to read it now. I've had that issue waiting patiently to be read. That's just awful. I haven't seen Fast Food Nation. I can't believe it didn't come anywhere near my town! I wonder when it comes to DVD.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:57 AM   #3  

hey june - i read the article last week - it was horrible. all i could think of was "fast food nation" - i havent eaten fast food since reading it...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

So Hypnotic- I get kinda peeved when I respond to someone and they don't answer... and look what i've done! My bf makes ham sandwiches for lunch and I can't even look at it without thinking of that article. I just couldn't believe it was that bad.
Closed Thread