Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #1  
Losing it every day...

S/C/G: 303.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7

Default Veggie Teams Challenge- Week 1

AND HERE THEY ARE... THE ST. PATRICK'S DAY VEGGIE CHALLENGE TEAMS!

TEAM 1

KmbRN84
Madame Souza
retiredone
bluestegosaurus

TEAM 2

kailpea
sunshine
twish
ferretsr1

The first official weigh-in will be on this Friday, January 6. Our weights on this day will provide the baseline for the challenge. At the end of Week 1, we will all weigh-in on Friday, January 13. On Saturday, Janurary 14, results will be announced on the new Week 2 Challenge Thread. I'll announce the team that lost the highest total pounds lost, as well as the individual with the biggest loss for the week!

Teams may wish to take this week to come up with a team names. Will we be the Veggie Vixens? The Green Goddesses? Let's have some fun and let the creativity flow!

Aside from using this thread to offer team encouragement, we can also share recipes if we have made something particularly delicious. We can share our stories, struggles, successes- weight related or not. We can compare notes on the challenges that vegetarians/vegans face and share ideas and solutions. These challenge threads are here for whatever we want and need to offer ourselves and others support and encouragement. We can do it!

Reminders:
Our Mini Goal will be Valentines Day, Tuesday February 14, 2012

The end of our challenge will be St. Patricks Day on Saturday March 17, 2012.
twish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/219.6/145

Height: 5' 4

I will try to get things rolling. I am curious about what kind of veggie you all are and what is you diet plan? I am a lacto-ovo vegitarian and a calorie counter.

This is the mushroom burger recipe I had for dinner tonight. I make them alot and the are hit or miss on how well they hold together, but they always taste great!

Ingredients:
•3 tbsp olive oil
•1 1/2 lb mushrooms, roughly chopped (combination of crimini, shiitake, and Portobello)
•1/2 cup finely chopped onion
•2 large cloves minced garlic
•2/3 cup rolled oats
•1/3 cup shredded Parmesan
•3/4 cup breadcrumbs
•2 eggs, beaten
•1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, or 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
•1 tsp dried oregano
•1/2 tsp salt
•1/4 tsp black pepper

Preparation:
Heat 1 tbsp oil in large saucepan (I skip this and use non-stick spray). Saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid boils off, and the mushrooms begin to saute.

In large bowl, add mushroom mixture to oats, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Shape into patties. Bake on 375 for about 10 minutes on both sides.
KmbRN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #3  
Losing it every day...

I am also ovo-lacto vegetarian. I've been a vegetarian for about 13 years. I am also a certified yoga teacher, so vegetarianism kind of fits for me. My weight struggles are the result of a variety of factors- a genetic metabolic disease, the fact that all of my abdominal organs are covered and bound together by scar tissues, PCOS, and other factors.

I calorie count on My Fitness Pal (you can friend me at twish7) and follow an intuitive eating approach, only eating when I feel hungry. I don't eat processed food (except for the occasional tbsp of shredded cheese).

My favourite recipe these days is Emeril's Vegetarian Chilli on a bit of brown rice with greek yoghurt as a topping. You can google it and it will come up on Food.com. I keep it on hand in the freezer so that if I am running low on groceries, I always have something healthy and delicious on hand.

Last edited by twish; 01-04-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #4  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi everyone. I'm also a lacto-ovo vegetarian and have been for 14 years with a short bout of veganism during that time. I was a calorie counter and lost quite a bit of weight but have gained most of it back again. Part of the reason was I got lazy and the other was a medical problem with my knees and feet that kept me from my regular walking/jogging. Right now I'm trying to get back to eating healthy, especially since Christmas. I don't have any recipes to post right now as none are jumping out in my mind as I type but when they do I'll post some.

KmbRN84, that burger recipe looks really good. I know what you mean about holding together, lol. I see we are on the same team so I guess we'll be chatting during the challenge.

twish, I like chili, too. Had it for lunch today on brown rice. Never thought of topping it with yogurt. I had some Greek yogurt in the frig, too. Thanks for starting this challenge.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Hi, nice to meet everyone
I haven't been posting in the vegetarian section much. I post mostly at the 100 club but wanted to branch out to new forums.
I am also a lacto--ovo vegetarian. I have been one since May of 2011 so not very long. I am blanking on recipes right now but I will share some of my favorites later.
Becoming a vegetarian changed the way I think about food. I noticed that I had to think about it. I think that most people don't really think about food much. Thinking about food made me start thinking about my health and led me to start choosing healthier foods and here I am. I am working on cooking more and eating less processed foods.
I calorie count and do Leslie Sansone walking dvds.
One thing I am working on for the New Year aside from my weight loss is I am trying to be more positive and work on being grateful for things. I started the gratitude late last year and it has helped me.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #6  
Under His mercy

Height: 5'9"

I try to stick as close to possible to a plant based diet - no animal products but I have been eating fish occasionally when eating out. I'd like to give fish up, too. I got started on this way of eating due to having high blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels and reading Eat To Live. If I can get my weight down and exercise more, it would bring my levels back to normal. I'm very excited to start this challenge.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #7  
Katherine

S/C/G: 283/280/172

Height: 5'10

I'm generally a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but I decided to delve into veganism this year. 5 days in and I'm not so sure I'm going be able to keep it up. I love cheese too much. Eggs, I have no problem giving up. . . I never eat them unless it is in a baked good and I made some muffins that call for eggs and just used an egg replacer and they came out wonderful. So if I decide at the end of the month I can't keep up the veganism, I will probably stick to lacto-vegetarianism. I have a policy, that there is no point in sticking to a diet plan if you really don't enjoy it. I love being a vegetarian. Oh and I'm on Myfitnesspal too. Username is the same, kailpea.

Sunshine: When I started becoming a vegetarian, fish was the last thing I gave up, I think that's true of many people beginning to eat a more plant based diet.

Last edited by kailpea; 01-05-2012 at 07:23 AM.
kailpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #8  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Kailpea, I hear you about the cheese. I really like it and one of my favourite foods is mac and cheese. I tried making it vegan and it tastes good but it wasn't cheese. Good luck with the veganism. I hope you succeed. If not just try and limit the cheese and eat veganish most of the time.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

Kalipea, I too love dairy products. I think at this stage in my life it would be very hard for me to give them up. Soy cheese just isn't the same. It is good of you to try to give them up. I hope you can do it and still enjoy your eating. I think not sticking to a diet you can't enjoy is right on. Life is too big to be stuck eating things you don't enjoy.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #10  
Under His mercy

Giving up dairy was very easy to do once I read the book "Diet for a New America". Most people don't want to know how factory farmed animals are treated BUT it sure makes giving up animal products easier when you do know. Just a little motivational tool.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #11  

Good deal. I really try to be vegan. I've been veggie since 1995, so that is what almost 17 years. I immediately went vegan after turning veggie. But did not stick with it. I only cook vegan and low fat at home.

This weekend I decided to make Ethiopian. This was a first for me. Someone suggested this recipe by Susan V. This is a Berbere stew and I also made the green beans and potatoes which was a good side for it.

Susan's website is fun to search in. Don't be afraid of the spice mix. You'll want to make it again. I stored mine away in a jar.

I had to weigh in mid day today. I am starting at 148.8. I wasn't expecting to weigh so ate my oatmeal and fruits.

Berberé Stew (Ethiopian Lentil Stew)
Recipe By: Susan Voisin

I found this, along with some other fat-free recipes, at a site that now seems to be defunct. The original recipe was created by the web page’s owner, but I’ve incorporated changes that I’ve made over the years. I love this highly spiced (but not spicy) lentil dish!

To make berberé spice mixture, combine:

1 Tbs. ground cardamom
1 Tbs. ground coriander
1 Tbs. fenugreek
1 Tbs. ground nutmeg
1 Tbs. ground cloves
1 Tbs. ground allspice
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1 Tbs. paprika
1 Tbs. turmeric
1 tsp. cayenne
1 Tbs. ground black pepper
1 Tbs. ground sea salt

Store in a cool, dark place.

This spice mixture came from Eat More, Weigh Less. It has 21 calories and .78 grams of fat per tablespoon.

The stew:

1/2 large onion, chopped
1 + 1/4 cup red lentils
2 1/4 cups water
1 garlic clove, crushed
1-2 Tbs. berberé spice mixture, above
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

Mix lentils with water, garlic, onion, and spices. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 20 minutes or until the lentils have softened. Watch carefully and add water if it starts to dry out. Add the tomatoes and heat at least 15 more minutes

Ethiopian Green Beans and Potatoes
Adapted from The Global Vegetarian

2 large white potatoes, diced (and peeled if desired)
1/2 lb. green beans, cut into 1-inch sections
1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 15-oz. can stewed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice

Bring enough water to cover the potatoes to a boil in medium saucepan, and place the potatoes in. Cook for 12 minutes over high heat. Add the green beans and cook for 3 to 5 minutes more. Drain the potatoes and green beans in a colander.

Heat large non-stick skillet. Sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeño for about 4 minutes, adding a little water, if necessary to prevent sticking. Stir in the seasonings and sauté for 1 minute more. Add the potatoes and green beans, stewed tomatoes, and lime juice and cook for 7 to 10 minutes more over medium heat, stirring frequently.

Last edited by ferretsr1; 01-05-2012 at 01:46 PM.
ferretsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #12  
girl genius

i'm vegan and have been for ten years this week! i had a few years of dabbling in ovo-lacto-veg in the middle, but predominantly vegan even during the cheese years. i'm also gluten challenged, probably celiac.

kailpea:speaking of missing cheese:
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup chickpea flour
a hearty sprinkling of garlic salt or garlic and salt
2 cups of water

cook in a saucepan until it thickens and starts to bubble. taste. if it still tastes like raw bean flour, add 1/2 cup of water and cook until it thickens again. for really rich cheese, stir in up to 1 cup of olive oil, or leave it out for a leaner treat. it's so delicious and gooey and wonderful. i like to dip veggies in it, use it for (spaghetti squash) mac and cheese, or drizzle over bean tacos. yum!
bluestegosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #13  
Losing it every day...

ferretsr1- I've never tried Ethiopian food. Your recipe sounds delicious.

I too am among those who would find it hard to give up cheese. I have drastically reduced how much I eat. I have Diet for a New America. I have had it for over 5 years. I have put off reading it because of the cheese factor!

Hope everyone is gearing up for tomorrow's weigh-in... I am hoping to see a change since the last time I stepped onto it. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #14  
Katherine

S/C/G: 283/280/172

Height: 5'10

I will have to find Diet for a new America and read it. I think where I went wrong this week was going into this thinking "I want some cheesy creamy broccoli soup." And that was the very first thing I made vegan and I just didn't feel like it was up to par. My boss is vegan and she told me to try and stop thinking about "veganizing" dishes rather making things that just don't normally contain those ingredients. That has been much better. I made some Red Thai Curry tonight, and was like, "Oh yeah, I could keep being vegan." I think it has alot to do with what you are preparing. So I will stay away from things that are traditionally made with dairy for awhile and then after I get used to not having the real thing, maybe start making those dishes vegan later.
kailpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #15  
Under His mercy

starting weight = 203.6