Old 06-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/219.6/145

Height: 5' 4

Default cabbage rolls?

Anyone have a recipie? I love tepmeh cout I do something with it?
KmbRN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/245/150

Height: 5'10"

I don't use tepmeh. I make quinoa with a veggie broth. I add shredded carrots and asparagus cook all together. I flash boil the cabbage. Put the quinoa mixture in the cabbage leaves. Roll and enjoy. My kids love it and I am asked to make it all the time for them. And ohhhh so filling.
Majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Tosca Reno has a recipe.

1/2 purple onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup grated carrot
1 rib celery
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 block tofu
1/4 c fresh basil
1/4 c fresh parsley
3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
4 quarts water
6 large green or savoy cabbage leaves

Sautee everyting but the tofu, herbs and soy sauce then add the tofu and herbs sautee a little more then add soy sauce and allow to cool.

Put cabbage leaves in boiling water reduce heat and cook briefly until the color change, remove and run under cold water immediately. All to drain.

I added water chestnuts, ****ake mushroom and a little ginger to mine. It was really good except that I discovered I don't like tofu. I know there is no grain in this recipe so you could replace the tofu with that and I bet it would be really good.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Here's one I've got that I haven't tried yet, but plan on it very soon -

Total cooking time: About 2 hours

Ingredients:

* 2 yellow cooking onions
* 1 large head green cabbage
* 1 package of tempeh
* 2 cups button or cremini mushrooms
* 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes in juice
* 2 Tbsp. butter or vegan margarine
* Salt to taste
* Pepper to taste

Equipment needed:

* Food processor
* Large flat-bottomed frying pan (such as a cast-iron skillet) or electric grill

Directions:

There are four steps in making cabbage rolls: cooking the cabbage leaves, making the filling, making the sauce, and stuffing and cooking. The filling and sauce can be made a day in advance.

Cook the Cabbage Leaves

1. Fill a very large pot about half-full with water and bring to a rolling boil. The pot needs to be large enough to cook the heat of cabbage without overflowing, but it doesn’t have to cover the whole head.
2. Meanwhile, rinse the cabbage and cut out the core from the bottom. Try to save the outer leaves of the cabbage, if possible. The large, pliable outer leaves make the best wrappers.
3. When the water boils, put the cabbage in the water on its side and boil for 10 minutes. Carefully roll the cabbage onto its other side and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
4. Carefully remove the cabbage from the water using strong tongs or a colander and stand it up on a plate. Test the leaves for doneness – they should pull away from the head easily and be soft and easy to fold.
5. As each leaf is removed from the head, carefully remove the tough centre vein from the bottom of the leaf. Cut far enough up that the remaining vein rolls easily without breaking.

Make the Cabbage Roll Filling

1. Heat half the butter or vegan margarine in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Dice one of the onions and add to the hot pan.
2. Fry for about 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
3. While the onion is cooking, prepare the rest of the filling: break up the tempeh and the mushrooms and add the pieces to the food processor. Pulse until the tempeh/mushrooms are in very small pieces; smaller than a pencil eraser.
4. Dump the processed tempeh/mushrooms into a large bowl.
5. When the onion is soft, remove it from the heat and add it to the tempeh/mushroom mixture. If using the food processor for the sauce, transfer the filling to a separate bowl.

Making the Cabbage Rolls Sauce

1. Slice the second onion and add it to a medium mixing bowl or food processor (if empty).
2. Add the can of whole tomatoes. Using the food processor or immersion blender, blend the mixture until no large chunks of tomato or onion remain.
3. Season liberally with salt and pepper – these are the only spices in this cabbage roll recipe.

Stuffing and Cooking the Cabbage Rolls

1. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter or vegan margarine in a large flat pan (such as a cast-iron skillet) or electric frying pan. Add the sauce mixture, ensuring it covers the bottom of the pan. Keep over low heat.
2. To make the cabbage rolls, spoon about ¼ cup of the tempeh/mushroom filling mixture onto one cabbage leaf.
3. Fold each side of the cabbage leaf towards the middle. Then, fold up the bottom and roll upwards. Place the finished roll in the sauce in the pan.
4. Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves and filling, lining the rolls up in the pan.
5. Cook for two hours over low-medium heat (a low simmer). If the sauce looks dry, add tomato juice or water to the pan.
6. Serve hot.

-------
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

ncuneo, is this the only time you've tried tofu? I have to say that recipe looks very blandas far as the tofu is concerned. Tofu is like the tonic water of the vegetarian world. Pretty plain unless you dress it up! I always press mine very dry, and marinate it completely. Otherwise it just tastes like a sponge.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

How large did you chunk the tofu? If it was big chunks, with that tiny bit of seasoning, I'm gonna guess it tasted like a wet, slimy sponge. I love tofu, but when it's prepared certain ways I won't touch it.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote