Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Roasted Veg Enchiladas

These are a new staple in my house, they're absolutely amazing. I don't do the tortilla in the skillet thing, I just nuke them for 15 seconds in a damp towel until they're pliable.

Makes 6 servings, 2 enchiladas each

Sauce
1 poblano pepper
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
8 ounces tomatoes, roughly chopped, plus diced tomato for garnish
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus more leaves for garnish

Filling
3 bell peppers (1 each red, yellow and orange), diced
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
3/4 cup diced red onion
4 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
12 6-inch corn tortillas

1. Preheat oven to 425°F.

2. To prepare sauce: Roast poblano pepper directly over the flame of a gas burner, turning frequently with tongs, until evenly charred. (Alternatively, char under the broiler, turning once or twice, for 5 to 7 minutes total.) Transfer to a deep bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to steam for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add yellow onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika and ground chipotle (if using) and cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.

4. Peel the pepper, discard the stem and seeds, and chop. Add to the saucepan along with chopped tomatoes, broth and chopped cilantro. Return to medium heat and cook, uncovered, at a steady simmer, until the liquid has reduced slightly and the tomatoes have broken down, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)

5. To prepare filling: While the sauce simmers, place bell peppers, mushrooms and red onion in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 4 1/2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are tender and browned in spots, about 15 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in beans. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.

6. To prepare enchiladas: Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Place a skillet over medium heat. Coat both sides of a tortilla with cooking spray. Heat in skillet for 5 to 10 seconds per side, adjusting the heat if the pan gets too hot. Spread 1/3 cup of the filling and 1 tablespoon of the sauce down the middle of the tortilla and roll it up to enclose the filling. Place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, filling and sauce. Spread the remaining sauce and filling over the enchiladas.

7. Bake, uncovered, until hot, about 15 minutes. Serve garnished with diced fresh tomato and cilantro leaves, if desired.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 269 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrate; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 753 mg sodium; 726 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Selenium (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Folate (16% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Those sound great!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #3  
sugar is the devil

Do you think you can freeze the sauce for later use?

Sounds like a good recipe and if I had the sauce all done and ready, I can just unthaw it when I wanted it and make the filling fresh. Don't think I want to make all 12 at the same time either.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

We loved the sauce so much I made a huge batch of it, then froze it in smaller portions. The sauce is the time consuming part, but it reheats well.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #5  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

Sounds great, and thanks for sharing!!
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote