Old 04-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

Default low fat vegan diet?

Has anyone ever tried a low fat raw vegan diet such as 80-10-10 by Dr. Graham? Please tell me about your experience. Thank you in advance.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #2  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Not Raw, but I do follow a very low fat Vegan diet with no oil, such as Esselstyn and McDougall recommend. I have lost 35 pounds and improved my cholesterol and blood pressure in the last 7 months. I am very happy with it, especially since I do not have to count calories and never go hungry.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There are many low fat vegan diets such as Eat to Live. I eat a fairly low fat diet and have been doing so for over a year. Not all days are low fat but most are. I've never done 80-10-10 which is a raw vegan diet. Other than lots of fruit, I don't know anything else about that diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #4  
Under His mercy

Height: 5'9"

I'm on day 4 of the Engine2 Diet - low fat vegan - and I love it so far. I've got about 50 lbs to lose and I've got to bring down my cholesterol and blood sugar. This better work!
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
I'm on day 4 of the Engine2 Diet - low fat vegan - and I love it so far. I've got about 50 lbs to lose and I've got to bring down my cholesterol and blood sugar. This better work!
A low fat vegan diet will absolutely bring down your cholesterol since cholesterol is found in animal products. I've heard great things about that book, let me know how what you think about it!
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #6  
Just Me

I've never heard of the Engine2 diet. Neither me nor my husband ever had high cholesterol but now both of us are on the low end. Both of us were told by our doctors (2 seperate ones) that we probably had the lowest cholesterol levels they've ever seen. Our good cholesterol was at a good level too.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #7  

Engine2 was written by a vegan firefighter. Apparently he made a bet with his firehouse that he could lower their cholesterol levels, weight, and blood pressure in 30 days, without sacrificing taste, if they let him do their cooking. It worked, so he wrote a book about it. The difference between it and other veg/vegan books (so I've heard) is that it's written for people that enjoy meat and are cutting it out only for health benefits. The only reason I haven't bought it is I'm worried it's going to be yet another "use meat substitute" books, instead of innovative ways to eat vegan without selling my soul to TVP. I like TVP, but I don't want it to be the basis of my diet.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post
A low fat vegan diet will absolutely bring down your cholesterol since cholesterol is found in animal products.
Ah, but the problem is that *you* are an animal. You can make cholesterol even if you never eat *any*. In the typical person, most of the cholesterol in their blood was made by their own body. Not that a healthier diet won't help, but it not quite that simple.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #9  

Well of course you're never going to have a cholesterol level of zero. But if you cut animal products out of your diet, you will see a decrease in your cholesterol, hence me saying it will bring down your cholesterol.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #10  
Just Me

Oh the vegan firefighters, I heard about them, didn't know they had a diet book.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #11  
Meg

There's a review on the 3FC home page.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post
Well of course you're never going to have a cholesterol level of zero. But if you cut animal products out of your diet, you will see a decrease in your cholesterol, hence me saying it will bring down your cholesterol.
Sadly, that's not true, although I wish it were. I stopped my cholesterol medication, have been a vegan for a year, and my cholesterol went back up to a level higher than it was prior to taking medication (when I was an omnivore). I think in most cases becoming a vegan WILL lower your cholesterol, and certainly people should try, but it doesn't work in all cases, unfortunately. While not decreasing my cholesterol won't stop me from being a a vegan, I have started back on the medication.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #13  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

I tried for a year to get my cholesterol down, I thought I was doing well, steel oats every morning, no meat etc. when I went to the Dr it was up 9 points!!
He told me people do all they can to lower their cholesterol and its still not enough, sometimes its just generic. Darn parents.
I am going to try for another 3 months, if its not lower by then I will go on medication for it. Drat!
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #14  
Just Me

My husband (who didn't have high cholesterol) dropped his cholesterol about 60 pts after 3 months of being vegan. Mine dropped the same. We are now considered 'well below average'. Of course there are genetic components but there have been people who have dropped their cholesterol from giving up all animal products.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:14 AM   #15  
Under His mercy

Height: 5'9"

Actually, instead of Engine 2 diet, I bought the Eat to Live diet book and my husband and I are following that. I really hope it brings down my cholesterol. My two brothers and Dad have normal cholesterol levels, but they're not overweight so maybe combining this way of eating and getting to my goal weight will be the trick.

I love all the veggies but it takes a lot more time preparing meals this way than sticking a Jenny Craig meal in the microwave!! But I feel great so far - week 2 - and I'm not missing meat or dairy at all. Love the almond milk.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote