Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

Default Electric steamer

I've just bought an electric steamer. Have you got any good ideas how to cook tasty veg in a steamer? I just don't know what herb or spice would go best with what veg. Tried to google but the net is surprisingly lacking in steamer recipes
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a microwave steamer and I use it all the time to steam veggies. The other day I steamed broccoli and it was so good, barely any made it to the plate. It was just cut up broccoli, no seasonings. Sometimes I'll sprinkle garlic and pepper on the veggies but most of the times they are plain.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #3  

Thank you Nelie! I will try some cauliflower, cabbage, mushrooms and broccoli with a little bit of garlic pepper tomorrow. Never used one of these things before and not sure how much you can load on one tray, but I guess practice makes perfect.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Hello
I use mine all the time...
I think the manual said to not put any spice on it...
What I do is wait until all the veggies are done, chop them up and then use some spices, like garlic paste, salt, pepper and some kind of broth.
Just mix everything up. You can even freeze it in portions.
Now my favorite thing during holidays:
Pumpkin diet desert.
All you have to do is put the pumpkin pieces (cubes) on the steamer for almost one hour (till it get very soft), then you mix it with some no calorie sweetener. It is just like eating a pumpkin pie but without the quilt...
Enjoy!
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #5  

Thank you Belazura! Would you mind telling me if you boil the veg in the broth after you've steamed it, or how do you go about?

I just used my steamer for the first time, and it was the best tasting veg I've ever eaten! I put them in for about 25 minutes, maybe slightly too long, but it was because that's how long the rice took.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

Thank you Belazura! Would you mind telling me if you boil the veg in the broth after you've steamed it, or how do you go about?

No... I use the broth that comes in cubes and I place it in a small cup and put it inside the steamer, next to the veggies, so when I mix it up with the chopped veggies and all the other spices (using a spoon/fork) it is also warm and I can eat it right away.
In case you use the liquid broth that comes in cans, you can also place it inside some kind of dish in your steamer to warm it up, or just microwave it for few minutes before do the mix....
So everything will be nice and warm for you to eat!
Hope it works for you!!!
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #7  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

I love my steamer! I love to cook brown rice in veggie broth, with some minced garlic, oh my!!! My steamer came with a recipe booklet...

I generally use it to cook rice to have on hand, and for veggies, straight. Here's a recipe from Rival Steamer that looks yummy, that I've modified to be vegan/healthier:

Carrot Medley

4 cups thinly sliced and pared carrots
1 small onion, thinly slice and separated into rings
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon sugar (or substitute, agave, stevia, etc.)
Dash of salt (mmm...or Spike seasoning)
1 veggie boullion cube, crushed into granules

Combine all ingredients in rice bowl. Cover and steam. Water in steamer part: 1 1/2 cups. Time to steam: 26-30 minutes. Serves 8.

justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote