Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Anyone a Weight Watcher member?

Since I gained weight over the holidays, I vowed to go back to Weight Watchers (I'm a lifetime member still under goal, but not where I want to be) weekly until I got down to a weight I feel good at.

I haven't done WW as a vegan, and I'm finding it difficult with the new program, Momentum. I dislike counting points, which was why I did the Core program when they started it some years ago. I'm having a lot of difficulty counting points for the stuff I eat. It's easy to count points for a hunk of chicken, some veggies, and rice, but difficult (at least for me) to figure out how to count the yummy African Peanut Stew I made with garbanzo beans, sweet potatoes, veggie broth, etc.

So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone is a vegan/vegetarian WW and how you are faring with the Momentum program?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

If Core worked for you why not go back on it. I'm sure you have the information and/or know what you need to be eating. Why change just because WW's has changed their program again.

I have successfully lost 70/80 lbs on WW two different times. I'm not prepared at this time to go back and pay WW's but I dug up my old information and am doing it on my own. Even though they changed the program, the old program worked for me before, it will work for me again.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I'm not a veg*n. But I have been a WW member for awhile, and have come across other veg*ns who are working the program.

Counting points for things that were on the Core list involves a lot of measuring, so if you don't have a scale invest in one. They're cheap, you can get one for about $10 and it'll do the job.

Here's what one does to figure out points for homemade stew. Add up the total points for each item that goes into the soup, and then divide by the number of servings. So let's say you added 10 points of garbanzo beans into the soup, and then one sweet potato (which is about 3 points), and you put in 2 cups of fat free veggie broth (0 points). If that's split up four ways it's 3.25 points (or rather 3 points since you'd round down in this situation).
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I do WW flex. I have it down pretty well and so when I make dishes I can estimate pretty accurately. I make a lot of Indian dishes so the points are pretty much stacked in the oil and coconut milk ingredients.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Sheila,

I just saw this but a little over a week ago, I decided to do WW Online. I am really liking it. You can count up stuff for recipes and then divide by the portions.

Also, please share your recipe for your yummy stew. I have one but I love african peanut stew
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I think I'm just too lazy to figure out points. It might be easier if I knew what a serving size was (e.g., one cup), but when the recipe says 6-8 servings (like the stew below), I find it difficult. Again, just lazy, I think. Here's the African Peanut-Potato Stew. I've made a couple others, but I like this the best. If you figure out the points, let me know! Oh, and I usually make this in the crockpot.

1 onion, chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
2 14.5 ounce cans chopped tomatoes
2 14.5 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 pound green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
¼ cup natural peanut butter

1. In 6-quart pressure cooker, heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion, jalapenos, and 2 tbsp. water and cook about 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed. Stir in ginger, garlic, cumin, salt, cinnamon, crushed red pepper, and coriander, and cook 1 minute, stirring.

2. To onion mixture in pressure cooker, add tomatoes with their juice, sweet-potato chunks, chickpeas, broth, and peanut butter. Following manufacturer's directions, cover pressure cooker, bring up to pressure, and cook under pressure 5 minutes. Quick-release pressure as manufacturer directs.

3. Add green beans to pressure cooker. Return to heat and cook, covered, until beans are done, about 10 minutes. Or, return cooker to high pressure and cook for one minute. Quick-release pressure and add additional seasoning as needed.

Regular stove-top directions:

Place 1/3 cup water, onion, jalapenos, ginger and garlic in a large pot. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add cumin, cinnamon, salt, red pepper and coriander. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, green beans, vegetable broth, and peanut butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

Per serving: 358 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (18% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 203mg Sodium

Last edited by Sheila53; 02-02-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For 6 servings, points are 9 per serving. for 8 servings, points are 6 per serving, I put in the calories per serving and it says 7 so I imagine they are estimating 7 servings.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote