Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/154.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Default How do you resist?

Hey y'all. This past semester I basically was a vegetarian for the first time in my life because my now ex-boyfriend is Indian and rarely ate meat. He cooked for me every day, so it was easy transition to eating no meat. Ever since the break-up, I have been a carnivore. I have eliminated red meat and pork, but it is the chicken and turkey I cannot run away from.

My question is..how do you resist the temptation of meat? Because when I smell it I start to salivate. I would love to go back to being a vegetarian because my body just felt cleaner
Sarah Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #2  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

well when i smell it i want to throw up lol. if you really don't want to eat meat you're just gonna have to stick it out until you're used to it i guess....i know i wasnt much help but the only other thing to suggest is watch a video on what happens to the animals and you'll think about that when you smell meat....good luck
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #3  
-^.^-

S/C/G: 155/148/125

Height: 5'0

For me, I watch undercover videos or look at pictures of animals in slaughterhouses.
Although, disliking PeTA as much as I do (IMO), it's really hard to find anything not by them.

It's kinda graphic and really depressing, though...

Last edited by Skinny Teen; 01-05-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Skinny Teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

You just stop viewing/smelling meat as a food after giving it up for a long time, and yeah watching meat production films probably helps. My partner was watching a video last night on youtube about chicken production, there were this live baby chicks in their thousands on a production line being dropped to the next line, I just couldn't watch.
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #5  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Yeah even though sometimes I think of the good taste, I then remember the sad things I have read and watch, then animals do not seem like food, it seems like wanting to eat another human, something that breathes, lives, and has feelings. That's how I think of it. I know before I actually read information on slaughterhouses and so forth I looked at meat entirely different. If you don't mind a few cuss words, Skinny B**** is a great book to read. Plus there is lots more you can pick up at your local library.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Like the others said research into what happens to animals and if you can still eat it after that.... well I'd be surprised. I'd recommend a box of tissues and Earthlings - non PetA!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I agree with reading again about what how the animals are treated, and the filthy conditions.

I sometimes still want some meat. Not that much, but some. I usually just tell myself I should stick it out longer to give it a fair trial. It's just mental trickery, because I have no intention of going back to meat. But making it just about this month, or this year, makes it easier than forever.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

In general, I think things often smell better than they taste. Sometimes the smell of meat repulses me but sometimes it also brings me memories of something I once thought tasted good. I don't like the taste of meat anymore so I know if I ate a bite, I wouldn't be happy. So there really is no temptation for me in regards to meat.

Beyond that, not eating meat is good for my body, the environment and the animals. I say the same in regards to dairy/eggs as well.

I actually have some issues with not eating certain items that contain dairy/eggs such as chocolate with milk in it. It is something that I am working on and I admit I'm not perfect but I'm working on it. I know its better overall that I don't eat those items but sometimes they are so transparent and my food addiction takes over. I consider it a work in progress.

Last edited by nelie; 01-05-2009 at 12:55 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Julie - very true. I'd be lying if the odd craving for meat didn't pop up but I find it'd more of a comfort food thing for me. For example one of my favorite happy memories as a kid was having my g-ma's recipe for spaghetti and meatballs and sometimes it sounds good BUT in reality I just want that warm feeling that surrounded the family meal.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

The first time I became a vegetarian it was unplanned, I just stopped eating meat and after a couple of weeks I just was like I guess I'm a vegetarian. I started eating meat again b/c I had iron deficiency anemia and needed to correct that also wasn't getting much protein. I was eating chicken and turkey, I got tired of eating it and worrying about what's in it as far as hormones, antibiotics, and what the chickens are fed and how they are raised and how it was handled while being prepped and packaged and realized it wasn't worth it to me.

This time around I love beans, tofu, and other soy products so that won't be an issue plus I track my daily intake. Honestly, for me I wouldn't do it if I had to struggle and feel like I was denying myself. The first time around I didn't miss meat or crave it. I used to have nightmares about accidentally eating meat. I think having to struggle is probably the reason I haven't become a vegan b/c I like my kashi go lean crunch and it has honey in it and I don't see myself giving it up also my mom makes my birthday cake and I like being able to eat it. I'm not big into eggs and dairy but I'm not at the point where I want to hand my mom my organic chocolate cake mix and my veg.com cake recipe either.

I definitely understand that you feel better not eating meat because I do too. I think maybe you should try to cut back first because if not having it causes you to eat it more that might be the better route for now.

Last edited by JackieRn; 01-05-2009 at 01:39 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #11  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

I definatley recommend watching Earthlings as well. and this one
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...52633518811812

I think it will just take time for your body to get over the cravings. After not eating meat for months the smell of it makes me sick. I can smell it even at the grocery store if I get to close to the meat coolers.
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I actually have some issues with not eating certain items that contain dairy/eggs such as chocolate with milk in it. It is something that I am working on and I admit I'm not perfect but I'm working on it. I know its better overall that I don't eat those items but sometimes they are so transparent and my food addiction takes over. I consider it a work in progress.
I was so glad to read this because I have such strong food addiction issues that they occasionally compromise my beliefs. It's especially prevalent when I let myself get too hungry or am in a situation where there's food, and I didn't bring any alternatives. Not to mention the emotional eating that still haunts me.

On Sunday, I was at a potluck and hadn't had any time to prepare anything. I chose meatless dishes that didn't have any obvious signs of cheese, eggs or mayo so I felt okay about it. But it made me remember that I need to be more prepared. I avoided the dairy-free, gluten-free brownies because I am in a good place right now with my eating. If I wasn't, I'm sure I would have had one, and I'm betting that the brownies contain egg. Sometimes if I can't see it, I can just forget about my principles because the "need" to have it is so overwhelming.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #13  
diosa

S/C/G: 216/157/124

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chick B Gone View Post
Like the others said research into what happens to animals and if you can still eat it after that.... well I'd be surprised. I'd recommend a box of tissues and Earthlings - non PetA!
I cried for a week after watching Earthlings. It really shocked my system in a way that nothing else has.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/197/150

Height: 5'4"

I am new and have made some posts on the mediterrain diet forum. I hope you don't mind me joining in. I am not a vegetarian yet but it is my goal. I have started with the mediterrain diet plan and been trying to make most of my meals grain and veggie based. I know what helps me stick to the veggie meals especially when my husband is across from me eating meat is concentrating on how much the food I am eating tastes better. The tuscan bean soup I was eating was much better than the chicken he was eating. His chicken was so boring compared to all the veggies and beans in my soup. My soup had a nice complex flavor and his was one flavor...BORING! I just thought I might be able to help from a taste perspective. I wish you the best of luck...
Pinkpinkycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #15  
it's always something

Welcome, pink! That's a good point, the more you get used to preparing vegetarian dishes, you can create amazing dishes layered in flavors that will take your mind off everything else
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote