Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

Default 20/30 Fat-Fiber Plan

Has anyone else tried this? Given the low fat allowance (20 grams), it seems very vegetarian friendly.

I want to use it for 10 days to kind of jump-start my weight loss with a program that I don't have to mentally exchange "salmon" with tofu or something.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

I personally think 20g a day of fat seems a little low but that's just my opinion. I think the better way to think about it is to get non-saturated fat items in. 30 grams of fiber a day is a breeze with 2-3 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of veggies. Whole-grains are a good source also.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It actually does seem realistic. Many of the healthier vegan diet plans out there recommend 10% of your calories come from fat. 20g would equal 10% of calories from fat in a 1800 calorie program.

Personally, I like percentages so 10-20% of calories from fat. On good days I'm between 10-15%. On days when I go nuts (literally), well i'm a bit more.

Last edited by nelie; 06-17-2008 at 03:52 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #4  
it's always something

I prefer to go higher, given some recent studies showing moderate fat diets are better for our heart health than low fat diets, as long as the fat is good fat such as olive oil or fish oil. I think the recommendation is about 40%.

When I followed Eat to Live, a vegan diet, FitDay reported my fat intake at about 50% which surprised me.

If your library has a copy, Horizon's Cafe has a cookbook with a recipe for a grilled tofu salmon that's supposed to be fabulous. I've not tried it yet but plan to
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, I'm very surpised too that you were at 50%. I tried to think of scenarios where that would happen if any and I couldn't. Eat to Live is a very low fat diet (heavily limited added oils, nuts, avocados, etc) unless you need to maintain/gain but even then it is still a modified low fat diet. The entire Eat to Live book is about the benefits of a low fat diet. It also talks about why even healthy fats don't need to be added to your diet, as long as you follow a healthy vegan diet. Of course that is all coming from my memory which has been known to be faulty
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote