Old 06-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #1  
My cat is fat too.

S/C/G: 155/150/125

Height: 5'6''

Default Is there something wrong with me?

I found this site and started my "diet" this past wed. I've been a vegetarian for years, and I think the reason I gained in the first place was beer and pasta...but anyway.....

My question is, my whole life I've always craved peppers, all day every day. I will sit and eat a whole jar of peppercinis as a snack. right now i'm eating banana peppers straight from the jar. I also crave garlic. There have been times I've sat in front of the TV and eaten a raw clove of garlic. (And somehow my boyfriend still kisses me hahahah). So, is there some kind of nutrient I could be deprived of that makes me crave this, and is it healthy for me to eat peppers every day? What kind of effect will it have on me losing weight?
DaraMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Peppers are high in vitamin C and low in calories. Raw garlic, also low in calories, but like onions the calories can add up quickly when cooked, but unless you're eating many bulbs (not cloves) every day this shouldn't be a concern and only if you're not monitoring or tracking your food intake in some way (exchanges, calories, points, or even just carbs).

When you say these are cravings, are these a sudden and drastic change in your food preferences, or have you always, or for a long time, loved peppers and garlic? Did you wake up one day craving these, even though you normally hate them?

I think if you just simply like the taste of the foods, I'm not sure that a craving would signify a nutritional deficiency.

Personally, I love peppers and garlic (I credit my father's italian heritage), and I eat more than my fair share, though not always daily. Garlic has many health benefits. So do spicy peppers, and even mild peppers. I bought a giant restaurant size jar of yellow pepper rings and ate them myself (hubby's not a fan) within a month. Nearly every week I buy a lb of tiny mild peppers from Sam's Club (taste like regular sweet bell peppers - orange, yellow and red, but very small). I buy a lb of jalapenos every once in a while also, and also eat quite a few pickled peppers, both hot and mild.

I think the peppers (and garlic) have helped my weight loss. I can eat very flavorful food (so I don't feel deprived) and get the benefits of the fiber and vitamin C of the peppers and garlic is said to improve immune function and reduce inflammation.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-07-2008 at 04:26 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I think it would be perfectly healthy, except that maybe you need to watch the sodium. I, too, love things that are spicy, garlicly, salty, vinegary, oniony. Not all together, but you get the idea. I fear I must often reek of garlic. I would usually prefer something like that to a sweet!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

p.s. I also eat olives (either kalamata or green) daily. I just had some with my eggs (and a little texas pete!)
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #5  
My cat is fat too.

S/C/G: 155/150/125

Height: 5'6''

Yeah, I've always loved and craved these things, so it wasn't a sudden cravings. I also love olives and mushrooms and onions.....I can easily resist a cupcake or something, but my downfall would be like jal. poppers and onion rings and fried mushrooms....

Thanks for your help!
DaraMarie is offline   Reply With Quote