Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:31 AM   #1  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Default would like be vegetarian but...

I'm allergic to everything! I can't have dairy, nuts, or soy. My doctor recommended a high protein diet and it seems to be what works best for me as compared to other diets I have tried, so I follow South Beach guidelines and try to hit at least 100 grams of protein a day.

I know beans and other legumes are good sources of protein, but I'm worried about getting my goal as well as my calorie goal. I struggle to get even 1000 calories and when I've cut out meat and fish, both my protein and calories have plummeted.

What are the best ways of working a high protein diet into a vegetarian lifestyle with these impediments?
Old 05-28-2007, 01:35 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Can you have seeds? What about gluten? Do you eat eggs? I easily reach 100 grams a day and have soy and nut free days (I don't ever eat dairy or eggs either). I have to plan to eat as few calories as I do to stay on plan, so I can't imagine having trouble reaching 1,000 a day

There are many types of protein powders to supplement a diet that aren't dairy, nuts or soy (rice and hemp are two that are commonly available).
Old 05-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #3  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

I can have seeds and gluten but I really don't like eggs. I force myself to eat them sometimes for breakfast but try to hide them in other foods as much as possible (like I might cook some egg into my oatmeal).

Everyone thinks it's so weird that I have trouble hitting that calorie mark! But I don't like salad dressing so I eat it plain, I can't have calorie dense things like cheese or peanut butter, and I eat so many low calorie veggies that it really does not add up to much. I've always only eaten a little but I would just eat all the wrong things- a little ice cream, a little grits, a little white bread, a few pieces of chocolate- which added up to be much more.

Do you have any recommendations for brands of protein powders or what I should look for when buying them? I really know nothing about them!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #4  

Hi Charolastra,

I've been a vegetarian for almost 8 months. For soy free food there is a brand called Quorn [www.quorn.us]. Quorn is not vegan though, in case you plan to become vegan. You can also look at some of the Amy's meals, there are a lot of options like diabetic, vegan, lactose free, etc. so you should be able to find something there as well. [www.amys.com]
Old 05-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #5  

The heading for this thread is perfect for my question as well.
I've been on atkins off and on for about 2 years and have lost and gained the
same 10 pounds! But, when I start to eat non-animal protein I gain weight
and it's all were I don't want it right around my tummy and hips. As soon as I switch back I lose it right away but I crave fruit and bread really badly and I
give up in a week or two.
I wan't to start eating healthy and almost all the vegetarians I know don't
have weight problems.

I will take any and all advice.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I can have seeds and gluten but I really don't like eggs. I force myself to eat them sometimes for breakfast but try to hide them in other foods as much as possible (like I might cook some egg into my oatmeal).

Everyone thinks it's so weird that I have trouble hitting that calorie mark! But I don't like salad dressing so I eat it plain, I can't have calorie dense things like cheese or peanut butter, and I eat so many low calorie veggies that it really does not add up to much. I've always only eaten a little but I would just eat all the wrong things- a little ice cream, a little grits, a little white bread, a few pieces of chocolate- which added up to be much more.

Do you have any recommendations for brands of protein powders or what I should look for when buying them? I really know nothing about them!
Well, don't force yourself to eat anything you don't like, just find something else that has the nutrients you need

What about eating lentils, beans and seitan (gluten)? Have you tried to do this and counted calories/ tracked nutrients?

As far as protein powder is concerned, I don't know anything about stores where you live, so I suggest you do an online search to have some shipped to you (just search for rice, pea, hemp protein powders and you'll get a lot of different options).
Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #7  

Hi,
Is it true if I become a vegan I'll lose weight? I've been off and on low carb
plans for quite some time and it's time for a change. I have about 40 pounds to lose thats' why I went for low carb (it quick but then the cravings kick in)
fruit tastes so good, I just had a white peach today and it was soooo good
I honestly don't think I can go back to the low carb thing.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #8  
Finding My Bliss

If you become vegan and eat well and exercise you will surely lose weight! It is possible to gain weight while eating any way if you aren't careful!

Eating vegan can be a really healthy way to eat if you don't eat a lot of junk.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/201/135

Height: 5'6"

It's true, you can find calories as a vegan too. I see mine going in big chunks to :
chocolate soy milk
breads
soy ice cream
I am losing weight though, after being stuck for a few months. Plus, I feel fantastic! Excuse the reference, but the...er...bowels...are moving regularly, which is NOT the case on atkins as I'm sure you know! Sorry to be gross, but our bodies are expelling that stuff for a reason and when it sits too long inside toxins start to leach back into your blood stream. Not good. toxin>
I feel good in my body, and at ease in my mind. I love and respect animals! And I want to be thin! You're right to look into this, it can work. AND be really fun...like an adventure. I'm having way more fun with my food now than I was as an omnivore, and WAY WAY more than on that horrible atkins diet, which made me miserable within a few days. I wouldn't take a million dollars to ever go on it again.
Closed Thread