UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/174/133

Height: 5.2

Default Where to begin?

Hi everyone, I am new here and don't really know where to begin. I have been on SW before and it was good (got to 8st) but that was a long time ago and just after having kids! I rejoined a new class about 3 years ago but it wasn't welcoming and I gave up quickly.

This time around I am thinking the less calories, more exercise option

Anyone got any good tips/books to recommend for a newbie?
Super Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:47 AM   #2  
LOSE LOSE LOSE

S/C/G: 323/---/290

Height: 5"5

Welcome to 3fc i hope you find it as much help and suport we all do.

i am not on SW or WW , i am doing a low-fat diet through my dr and being weighted every 2 weeks or so till im told otherwise. The only tip i have is to recommend keeping a food diary as its really helped me , my doctor looks through it and tells me which foods im eating that are still wrong and then i know what to change but you could always show yours to your SW leader and they maybe be able to give you some pointers too , so that is my best advice , i have not ready any books so i couldnt comment on that.

Good luck

Teresa
treezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #3  

if you think that SW might work again for you - try a different class - or do it online.. ive lost 4stone since may !... (still going!)

I've been to a few classes one the woman said she could get into a "size 12"... clearly wasnt lol ... so didnt go back to her and another one was just a bit odd lol... so now found a class i like... but gota move coz i have change my hours at work grrrr.. but can make another that is also ok...

maybe worth a try.... if you like something to "follow"....

lou x
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:28 PM   #4  

Thanks. The idea about the food diary is good, it will help make me think about eating... cheers everyone.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #5  
LOSE LOSE LOSE

S/C/G: 323/---/290

Height: 5"5

np hunni , good luck with the weight loss and keep us updated on your progress. I went and brought a dance mat today to get some exericse , so i have another tip for you if u got a playstation 2 or an x-box and can do it for just 30mins to 1 hour a day its defintly worth it , i done an hour alltogther and burnt off about 250 cals and danced the equivilant of jogging about 1.5 miles (2.2km) so its defintly good for some exercise.

Good Luck

Teresa
treezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Less calories, more exercise is definitely a good way to go - or I prefer to think of it as "better" calories, more exercise - if you can fill up on healthy nutritious calories it's still better for you than eating an equivalent amount of rubbish. Take baby steps, and try to improve one thing at a time. I know that some programmes throw you in at the deep and, cutting everything out and then reintroducing it, but I'd rather work things the other way round. You may not get such impressive results at the start, but it's more sustainable in the long term in my opinion.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #7  

Thanks so much for the warm welcome; I wish I had found this site ages ago.

I agree with you about no junk (in my case it was a few too many beers a week!) and about more exercise.

Great idea about the dance mat! My daughter actually has this so I will ask her for a loan!! They do pole dance lessons at my shop 2 evenings a week but the problem is, as much as I would love to join in, I've been too embarrassed to get my legs out (you have to wear the shortest shorts). I do hardly any exercise which is an awful thing to admit, time is so short but once you feel unwell it's no excuse is it? I am going to start with an extra dog walk a day for this week and see how I get on.

I cook everything from scratch already, but better cut out the pizza dough and so much olive oil - it seems to go on everything we eat! And I got the pasta habit from being on SW before, so that had better go too. I am very lucky that I love salads, veg's and they are my fave foods but to get this overweight I must have been doing something very wrong so the food diary will tell me what it is. For example, I just made cupcake sponges for my kids for school tomorrow, and I ate one without even realising (fat free but thats not an excuse!). I need to find a calorie counter now to help me along.

You're all such a motivation even just looking at your progress (as you can see mine is at the starting post!).

Thank you gals.