UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:39 AM   #1  
the fat cat

S/C/G: 155/152.5/134

Height: 5.6

Exclamation how to start a business

how do you start a business
whats tha first thing you have to do

loads a love sophie

one happy face for every 3 pound lost
taloola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Check out The Prince's Trust they have lots of info
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #3  
Queen of Chaos!

Have a look here:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk
mysticvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I run a business from home. The first thing you need is a clear business plan then you need to find an accountant, register as s/e with the Inland Revenue and tell the National Insurance people so you can pay your contribution direct. If you don't do this then the Inland Revenue fine you - they do NOT have a sense of humour about non payment but are extremely helpful if you ask them for advice. You need to check with your Landlord (if renting) or whoever lends money on your house to make sure they will allow you to use your home for business purposes and you may want to check with your Local Authority to find out their regulations about Council Tax. If you are thinking about anything to do with food then (personally) I wouldn't bother because it is just too much hassle.

Do you know what kind of business you want to have? If its selling something you need to think whether you have a reliable source for your stock (preferably at least 4 different sources for stock).

I didn't make any regular money at my business until I'd been doing it for six months. Luckily our savings covered my start up costs - its best to try and start without borrowing any money (there is nothing worse than trying to service a loan while your business is just getting off the ground).

If its internet based then you need to assess your skills and abilities - will you need additional possibly technical knowledge about running/designing a website and submitting it to search engines, etc.

The plus side of having my own business is not having to answer to anyone except my customers and I can work the hours I want. The downside is that even when I felt awful with flu I had to honour my commitments and crawl out of bed to get on with my work and - of course - you can't rely on a fixed level of income.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:45 AM   #5  
the fat cat

S/C/G: 155/152.5/134

Height: 5.6

i want to open a cattery

crazy i know, but its my dream. look after cats while family on holiday, or go out and save abandoned or poorly treated cats, or take in old cats when their family cant look after them anymore.

i would love to do it but dont know where to start.

loads a love sophie

one happy face for every 3 pound lost
taloola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #6  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I don't really know then. I think you'd need to check with whoever is your mortgage lender/landlord to find out if its okay or find some suitable premises to rent or buy. Then you'd need to think about insurance and then advertising. I'm almost certain that because animals are involved you would have to register with the Local Authority and obtain the permission of your neighbours.

It doesn't matter what you do, though, the first thing is always to register with the Inland Revenue to be self employed and tell National Insurance that you want to pay s/e contributions.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote