UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 06:00 PM   #1  
Wahey a loss this wk!!!!!

Default clothes...

...what do you all do with the clothes that are now too big for you?? I am raiding the charity shops at mo for smaller sizes, instead of buying brand new clothes. I got two new pairs of trousers at xmas and they are now too big. Have bought 4 smaller tops from tesco and 1 from asda. but 3 of them are already too big. bought 2 strappy tops and a new pair of tracky bottoms, but again i am growing out of these and i only got them a couple of weeks ago. So i thought charity shop would be a cheaper option, but at mo all my clothes that are now too big are folded up on top of my wardrobe. I can't decide whether to get rid or keep just in case.
mind you i have three pairs of jeans which are becoming too big and i love jeans, but charity shops don't seem to have any smaller ones and i don't wanna buy new ones as they are too much dosh.
some of the clothes that i already had that were smaller i am now able to wear and hubby keeps asking where did you get that from. yep it's been that long since i could get in them and he's forgotten that he bought them for me.
good job hubby now has a job and i can afford smaller clothes. can't wait to get to target as he says i can have a whole new wardrobe!!
at mo i am wearing what fits near enuff, although some is a tad too big.
if anyone has size 20 or 22 jeans that are too big for them i would be willing to pay a small price for them. I can't live without my jeans!! My size 24's are falling down lol
Old 04-06-2003, 08:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 279.5/251/150

Height: 5'6

Leigh unfortunately my Size 22s were worn until they dropped apart so wouldn't be any good to you or you would be welcome to them, but I had the same problem as you in that I wanted to buy some smaller ones but didn't want to splash out as I didn't intend to be in them for too long! I was delighted to find that Tesco sell 'Value' jeans - I think they were about £7; certainly no more than £8 anyway, & they're fine, in fact I'm wearing a pair right now! So; if you're not too worried about wearing a smart label, you can buy jeans cheaply. Mine are a size 20; I'm not sure if they go up to a 22 but it would certainly be worth checking out.

I've heard people who've got to target but have let a bit creep back on saying "I HAVE to get the weight off or I will have to buy new clothes, & I don't want that to happen!" - so maybe getting rid of them is the best option? Knowing that they're there if a bit creeps back on probably makes it a bit easier to let it happen - the thought of having to splash out on bigger ones seems to be a remarkable incentive!

Anyway, congratulations on getting into those smaller clothes - it's a great feeling, isn't it?! I seem to remember when I lost weight a couple of years ago (before getting pregnant & undoing all my hard work!) I went to buy new jeans because my size 22s were getting really loose, brought my size 20s home to try on - & promptly had to take them back & swap them for 18s because they were too big!!! That was SUCH a good feeling! Roll on being able to fit into all those clothes again, preferably for the summer because I've got 3 pairs of capri pants I'd like to be wearing!

BTW - did you get to learn to ride a bike yet? I didn't learn to ride till last year myself - & it was such a great feeling! I absolutely love it. I haven't had chance to go riding in a long time because of the weather or being too busy - but I must make an effort to soon.

Last edited by Bakewell; 04-06-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:47 PM   #3  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Well done on getting in to those smaller sizes Leigh. Way to go girl!
Old 04-07-2003, 04:28 AM   #4  

bike nope. it is still trapped in the garage. have been waiting for hubby to have time to sort it out for me. but in the mean time have taken up golf, the walk round the golf course is doing me some good.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:29 AM   #5  

bakewell ty for info about tesco's guess where i am going tomorrow??? yep tesco's!!! A size 20 will do, it'll give me an incentive to lose weight just to fit in them.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:57 AM   #6  

Congrats Leigh-r on losing the weight.

I do the same (not the losing weight, I mean shop at Charity shops). I can still fit my jeans but would definately buy smaller sizes from charity shops rather than shelling out for a size that hopefully I won't stay at for very long.

I bought a lovely size 18 Laura Ashley dress from a charity shop. I saw it, went out to get more money and saw a very slim woman (size 10 I bet!) looking at "MY" dress. I snatched it from under her nose and bought it!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:16 AM   #7  
Theres no stopping me now

I too am a charity shop shopper, why spend a fortune on clothes that are only going to fit us for a wee while.

MY jeans area size 18 (large size 18) and are too baggy round the bum, but still fit on the waist Am hoping they will not fit by the summer.

My 22's we worn to within a thread of respectiabilty too.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5ft

The other place to get cheap jeans from is Matalan, if you don't have a Tesco nearby. Always get my husbands from there, they are also about £7.99 and have lasted him 2 1/2 years so far!
Old 04-11-2003, 02:03 PM   #9  

I like matalan and dorothy perkins, went comfort shopping for some retail therapy during the week. Came back with a pair of size 18 trousers and the determination to have my works ones taken in when I come back from my short break.

Am a happy bunny
Old 04-12-2003, 01:33 PM   #10  

I have spent about £50 on clothes this week, none are from the charity shop though they were all in the sale. I am due to start work on Wednesday and needed some clothes. But everything I have bought can be taken in as I lose weight.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:46 PM   #11  

Leigh I too have spent a fortune on clothes this week, this afternoon it was a sweatchirt from George and then 2 pairs of leggings, socks,a shirt and knickers from Matalan. Cost about £40 in all, plus the trousers from earlier on in the week - nightmare !!!!.

Ray was with me today, but I could get used to walking into shops and clothes fit me - is nice.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 279.5/251/150

Height: 5'6

You girls just don't know how to shop!!

I've been to the ex-catalogue shop near to my sister's today. I've come away with a pair of black jeans & a lacy black top perfect for wearing to the rock clubs that I go to, 2 pairs of loose summery trousers & 2 pairs of pedal pushers - sum total: £15!!!! Can't be bad!

Every town should have a shop like that! Now when I get too small for them, I won't have to worry that I wasted loads of money!
Old 05-16-2003, 05:41 PM   #13  

I brought a size 18 'posh' shirt for work from the cancer research shop last weekend. took it home and was surprised that it fitted.

Current size 18's style's don't as they are all fitted and tight.

Felt amazing.

Am getting rid of a supposedly size 16 shirt this weekend, because it is 'too plain' for work, felt right dowdy in it and a white t-shirt with a satin collar - am sure it was lovely when I brought it

Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off the the charity shop we go. Wonder what bargains I'll find this weekend. At this rate I may never go back to Dorothy Perkins again.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:54 PM   #14  
Gym'll fix it!!

Shell..what a shopper you are thats amazing buying that lot for 15 quid..if i'm ever in Brum i'll go shopping with you
Closed Thread