UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

Exclamation race for life-I need help and encouragement!

I have just signed up for a 5km (3.1 miles) run in aid of Cancer Research (race for life), its on the 17th June, so it fits in perfectly with their recommended training plan. I agreed to do it as I did the 10km version last year when i was 50lbs or so heavier, I managed it at a walk in 90mins.

I'm not much of a runner though, I prefer circuits, the gym, Tae bo, etc. So I'm a bit nervous. Has anyone done anything similar? I could use some stories to encourage me right now.
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I've just signed up, too! But my race is 4 July. I've been doing the NHS Couch to 5K programme. You won't have time to finish that (it takes 9 weeks). But you could have a listen. If you're relatively fit anyway you could probably look at doing doing Week 1 (which I found really easy from my regular gym fitness), rest a day do Week 2 - see how you feel on it - go on to week 3 after a rest day and then look at starting in Week 4 and getting as far as you can on the programme from there - and the excitement of the day will carry you any remaining time forward. Plus you could always walk PART of it if you need to.

So basically you'd do Weeks 1-3 in one week and then follow the programme from there. if you started this week, you'd get to week 8 - which would be fine.

I'm not a runner either and a big part of the programme for me is getting used to the impact on the joints. I'm obviously still quite heavy, so that's a major for me, but I think it's probably important for anyone who's getting into running. I just finished week 5 and I'm really excited about finishing it!

Good luck!!!

Last edited by AlmostMe; 05-08-2012 at 04:59 AM.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

Mine is in Bath. I've decided to follow the training plan for Joggers on the race for life website. I just finished the first session on week one. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I'm going to keep up my usual exercise regime but lessen it to incorporate the runs.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of diet I should follow to train for this run healthily while still losing weight?
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #4  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

My race for life is a week on Sunday eeekkkkk!

I've also been doing C25K, but fell off the wagon recently. I don't mind if I do walk jog intervals TBH, although ONE DAY, I will run a 5K, I WILL!

As for diet, I don't think there's any reason to change anything for a relatively short run. But others may disagree?!

Good luck with it, and let us know how the training goes
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/168

Height: 5ft 7''

Good luck with it, its a worthy cause I think just getting the running practice in is all you need to do rather than changing up your diet for 5k. Slow release foods like bananas, porridge I'd probably think would be good before running?
Pentangle is offline   Reply With Quote