UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #16  
Hatchling

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

I shall try that. My SIL was rude to ask 'why', when I said no thanks, but that's what I often have to put up with. My poor boyfriend ends up with all the food as I transfer it to his plate.

Family eh? I'm the slimmest out of all my In-Laws and they think it is their personal mission to get me to eat. They actually think I have made up my lactose intollerance to get out of eating creamy desserts! I am actually sick if I eat cream - even as a baby. They are real 'foodies' and everything is baked on butter & cream and there is usually 6 courses to a meal.

I did burn off a lot of food by playing football with my BFs nephews, it also meant I was far from the buffet table!

I will have to be a little selfish and concentrate on me.

Thanks for all your support & advice, I would love to live somewhere like California or Los Angeles where it seems to be the lifestyle to be fit and healthy.

If London had a beach, I think we'd all be more body conscious!

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #17  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

I didn't know people thought the food in England was terrible
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #18  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

I am like a great deal of you and drinking a glass or two or three of wine with and after my dinner has been my habit for a long time. I have stopped many times and it does help the weight slide off qucker. So when I am dieting I tend to think of that wine as a reward that I can treat myself to once a week only if I have done my exercise and not binged...so far it is working
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #19  

I put on3.5 stone during the 5 years i lived in york ! however Birmingham is not short of larger folk
sarahgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #20  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Lou,

I can honestly and most definitely testify that alcoholic beverages contributed to my 140 pound weight gain in a matter of 3 years. (Starting at age 39) Of course, I ate too, but I drank a lot, and it caught up with me quickly. I've always liked to drink, but usually kept it limited to the weekends, and rarely got drunk. But seriously, I gained 140 pounds in 3 years when I took to heavy daily drinking. It all started when my husband was transferred to a different city 80 miles away with his job. He didn't want to sell the farm, so he stayed in the city all week and came home on the weekends. I became very lonely and depressed and began drinking...a lot. I'd start around 5:00pm and by 10 or 11 pm I'd be liquored up, and knew if I didn't eat I'd be hungover. So I would warm up a hugh meal...eat, (stuff my face) then lay down and go to sleep. The next morning I'd have heart burn so bad, that I'd eat tons of carbs to try and soak up the excess stomach acids. I felt terrible 99% of the time. I was at rock bottom. I was HUGE, I was sick and I could barely function. At the age of 42 I felt death was right around the corner.

When I decided to change my life, I stopped drinking and smoking first. The weight started coming off without trying...especially from fluid retention. After a month I decided to also eat healthy...I haven't had a drink for about 8 months. I feel terrific.

Food has always been my first true love. If I'm going to follow my caloric intake of 1500/day, it's going to be from food and not drink.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #21  
MasterHarper

No bacon in America?? Wow.

I actually don't like bacon - I find it very salty.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
When I decided to change my life, I stopped drinking and smoking first. The weight started coming off without trying...especially from fluid retention. After a month I decided to also eat healthy...I haven't had a drink for about 8 months. I feel terrific.

Food has always been my first true love. If I'm going to follow my caloric intake of 1500/day, it's going to be from food and not drink.
It must have taken a great deal of will to go without a drink and give up smoking. Well done on the weighloss too.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsia View Post
No bacon in America?? Wow.

I actually don't like bacon - I find it very salty.
They do have bacon but its like the fatty streaky kind which they cook to a crisp.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 08-19-2008 at 03:46 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:04 AM   #24  
Hatchling

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

Robsia - You look fab. I have just had a nosey at your blog!

Chick - my Uncle lives in Dallas and I went there when I was 14. I couldn't believe the cafeterias and the fast food joints. I was a greedy kid and I think I put on 1st when I went there! I also remember the streets smelled of cinnamon, but I may have made that memory up! No one walked there much at all

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 264/250/140

Height: 5ft 9"

I wish i'd seen this thread earlier! never mind.
I used to drink alot, I mean alot! My friends & I used to put on club nights which meant whilst everyone else was partying we were sober, so come 4am when we had finished & packed up it wasnt unusual to spend £300 on a carry out (between 12 people) & spent the next 24hrs drinking.
often we would pass out, come round & drink again. Mininging I know, but at the time it was great fun & I loved it.
when I got pregnant I had to stop all that non sense.
But I never lost any weight from not drinking!
However if I drink wine now i put weight on.
So I drink vodka & juice or diet coke, but its very rare.
My BF doesnt drink so its easier not to drink cos i feel like a twat in front of him.
All that said though I do like a drink and i will do so whenever i feel the urge.
I dont have to worry about being loud and a pain in the arse when i am drunk with my mates, because we are all as bad as each other, but I wouldnt drink at my BF work do's because he doesnt.
I guess its just a matter of self respect & respect for others.
I try not to drink alone because its too easy to go into self pity mode, but living in a new place with a BF who doesnt drink, sometimes I do, but to enhance happiness, not to drown my sorrows.
Bonjul is offline   Reply With Quote