UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Love the skin you're in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTJQIBI1oA
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #2  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Very nice....she needs to go on Oprah or something and spread the word
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 248/209/147

Height: 5'5"

Fantastic video - best thing I've seen in ages! I wasn't happy being as big as I was, but if I get to a weight I'm happy at and it's still what the authorities consider fat, so be it! It's about loving yourself, not changing yourself for other people.
RowanMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #4  
Here we go again...

Height: 5"2

I've only watched the video without sound (work computer) but I'm guessing she's proud to be someone who's a little bigger than she's "supposed" to be (not that she looked huge to me anyway).

Do you really think it's possible to be genuinely fat and happy? Personally I don't think so. Yes, you can be happy despite being fat, you can be happy because you totally accept yourself the way you are, but when some people proclaim that they love their curves and they're happy to be fat I think they're kidding themselves. Funny how they also only come to that conclusion after numerous failed attempts to lose the weight. I really think that if a magic pill came along that would transform you overnight with no effort on your part then not one person would choose to be overweight, regardless of what society considers acceptable.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic because as I said I can't listen to the video, but I do wonder what others think about this?
Serena A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

FWIW she weighed 226 which is exactly my highest weight.

I think a lot of what she says was great - she made the point not to sit on the couch stuffing your face, but DO move and DO eat healthily and if you're still fat after that then SO WHAT?

I think you can be fat and happy - I certainly was when I was 18. I loved myself and dressed like it and had a great time, although there were times (like there are now) when I didn't want to be that size or didn't want to look like I did.

I think her message is very positive and loving yourself and accepting yourself for who/what you are promotes happiness and wellbeing. I also think that I by-product of loving yourself and respecting yourself is that you want to nourish yourself with healthy food, and move your body and give it what it needs.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The problem with being overweight is that iit is unhealthy, a factor in diabetes, strokes, heart problems to name a few.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #7  

And for those of us with PCOS, our weight is partly caused by our condition and our PCOS symptoms are made far worse by the weight...

She's right - you should do all you can to be as healthy as you can be. But be happy in yourself, not because you conform to some imaginary 'norm'.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/161/130

Height: 5'8

Wow I really like that video. Truth is, she looks good, she carries her weight well. I think she should be happy too

As for if fat people can be truly happy - it depends on the individual. You can be skinny and miserable, so why not bigger and happy? She feels good, looks good, and doesn't feel she has to conform. Good on her tbh.

I don't wanna be any smaller than a size 10, and although I know that's fairly small, I'd never want to be a size zero, even if everyone else decided they did :S It's about getting to a level that you're personally happy with, and if you're happy when you're what society considers to be bigger, than fine.
ABitOnTheChubbySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

She looks great. I got to fifteen stone and looked wayyyyyy heavier than that and didn't look good in anything. Some people are blessed to be able to carry a bit of weight. I am only five feet so that was never going to be possible.

I can't say I was desperately unhappy when I was fat but now I am so much slimmer I know I am way more confident.
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #10  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I haven't watched it yet, but I do believe you can be happy and fat. I was perfectly happy when I was at my heaviest, and I'd never tried to lose it. I just didn't see the point because it didn't bother me. It was only when I realised how unfit I was that I started doing things that led to me losing weight.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #11  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I was very unhappy at my heaviest mainly, I think, because I knew that what I was doing (overeating / no exercise) with very high blood pressure was a kind of slow form of suicide but, even so, it took me ages to find the energy to make the change. Having said that.... I do know a couple of larger ladies who say they are very happy being bigger and treat me like I've let the side down now I've lost some weight.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #12  

I was skinny right until I was 30 and had kids. At my heaviest I was about 14 stone... Never knew my top weight as I dieted a couple of weeks before I dared weigh myself! I think my starting weight was 13st 13lb, so I'm guessing I was easily over 14st! Size 20, heading upwards.

I HATED being obese. Detested it. I couldn't buy clothes - didn't know where you bought them, at that size. I think if you've always been on the heaviet side, you can probably dress very well and feel comfortable with it.

I do wonder if people who claim they're really fat but really happy aren't in denial though. How do they enjoy having thighs that rub together when they walk? I hated it. Never got used to it. Couldn't look, dress or think like a fat person and in a way that was my saviour as it left me with no choice! If you've always been fat you probably carry it better than someone who has never been, then is and doesn't have a clue how to cope with it.

I'm pleased that she can feel so positive but for me it was always about just practicality - being comfortable, not being out of breath if I tied my shoe-laces, not getting a sweat rash or sore thighs. And also health. The human body is not meant to be whippet thin but neither is it meant to carry masses of excess weight.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:03 AM   #13  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I think you're right. Its interesting that when really overweight people find out I've lost a lot of weight they ALWAYS ask me how I've done it - surely if they are happy with their size they wouldn't bother asking.... Its also interesting that each and every single one of them is looking for a miracle cure - as soon as they find out that my weight-loss comes from eating less and moving more you can see them lose interest.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 248/209/147

Height: 5'5"

Surely a big problem for a lot of fat people (myself included) is that we comfort-eat, and if we're unhappy with the way we look we comfort ourselves with exactly the thing that's causing the problem in the first place. I think she's right - if society stopped placing pressure on girls to be a certain weight/size/shape then they have more chance of being happy with who they are
RowanMoon is offline   Reply With Quote