Old 06-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #316  
Swimming Mouse

Evening, all.

Ginny: Thank-you. Uhm, I guess I could be in a Kay Scarpetta novel, but I'd rather be in a John Lescroart novel (they're all in San Franscisco, same characters all the time too) or maybe a Grisham novel. I also wouldn't mind being in a Pern book (oh, wait, I already did that one!) or the Hallmark Channel's Jane Doe mysteries. That's a good one (even if I never manage to pay attention to the whole movie and wind up watching it 4 times to see the whole thing!).

As for calming down, well.. maybe... I still have to go over and practice all that lifeguarding stuff. I'm dispatching for the Red Cross this weekend, so of course we already have had one call (I've only been on since 5:30!). And, I think I told you that the guys I was doing the lifeguard re-cert with whacked me on the left ankle... the bad one... and my leg cramped up. I was still hurting today, so I asked the physical therapist about it (well, I didn't have a choice, I couldn't do what she wanted me to do today!). So, she says that isn't normal and I should tell the orthopedist about it... whihc I've done, but he doesn't seem to want to deal with it. Maybe if I say something again... We'll see. Anyway, so she worked me over good today... apparently I have some kind of spasm in the calf. Let me tell you, physical therapy isn't a whole lot of fun, but I was able to walk a little better when I left, and it feels much better now. So that is all good.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 08:28 AM   #317  

Mouse - I have never had physical therapy but I hear that it can be painful. The good side is that they know what they are doing and will make it work correctly in the long run. I have been thinking about calling my doctor to see if their is anything to do to improve this tendonitis I have in my knee. Last time he said all I could do is rest it but I can't do that forever!
You might want to look into the classes on autism. It is one of the most interesting subjects I have ever studied and I am not just saying that because my ds is autistic. It is very fascinating stuff!

Pam - I am doing the same thing. Wide awake at 6:00 every morning! It is kind of nice as it is the only totally alone time I get all day. I usually drink my coffee and watch the early morning news show. I am sure by the time school starts I will be sleeping in later, then I'll have a reality check when the 4:50 alarm goes off! Maybe I should TRY to get up that early all summer.
I wouldn't complain too much that your dh takes a vacation from chores during the summer. Some dhs don't help out all year round. Mine would be a prime example of that. I try to talk to him about it but he says that if he doesn't think it is dirty than he shouldn't have to clean it! One time I tried to see how dirty it had to get before he would clean. I think I made it 2 1/2 weeks and believe me it was gross but he still did nothing. Actually if I asked him to do it he probably would but he would never think to do it on his own!

Deb - It must feel good to stay in the same school for a change. I switched districts after my first year and couldn't believe all the garbage I had accumulated already. Next year it will be my 20th year at my current school. Man I am old!
I would think you could get the zinc at Walmart or Publixs or a drug store. It comes in a tube. The colored stuff would be with the suntan lotions but if you want plain white (much cheaper) it would be in the pharmacy area. It must be so hard on the children in Florida with the hurricans. When we went to Florida this spring there was still a lot of damage visable. One night it rained and my ds just freeked that it would be a hurricane and he is from Michigan in an area that barely has tornados let alone anything serious. I just can't imagine what it is like for children (and parents) in hurricane or earthquake prone areas!
So what do you eat at Olive Garden that lets you be good? That is one of my husbands favorite places but it seems to me that everything is covered in sauce or oil. Plus those unending bread sticks are really hard for me to resist! I do like their salad but I'm not sure how much oil is on it.
I have been to the beach in Venice, it is very nice. When we go to Florida that is the area we go to. Actually we are in Englewood but it is close to Venice. My hair dresser owns a house their that he rents out. It has a pool plus is just blocks away from the beach, so it is perfect.

Ginny - You are so right about those BLTs, they can really add up. When I get relaxed on my measuring and tracking, I always gain weight. It can be a pain sometimes but it really makes a difference. Also getting that water in.
I think working on the basic math facts can be a big booster. If they have the facts down, they have a much easier time with the tough stuff. This summer my children are using "Turbo Twist Math" to keep up and improve their skills. It really is like a game. It has everything from basic addition and subtraction to fractions and percents. The machine automatically changes the level to fit the user. It is by Leap Frog. You could probably find it at Walmart or Target someplace like that or go to leapfrog.com. The kids actually enjoy it and they are practicing their skills!

This weekend is going to be busy. I have to drive to Grand Rapids to pick up a tree my father wanted for Father's day. Then to Lansing to meet my husband. We are then going to the "Gizzard Fest" to watch my step-ds play in a basketball tournament. You would think at 25 I wouldn't have to suffer through sporting events anymore, but I guess that is not true. The good news is there is also a carnival, so my children will be happy. The bad news is there is probably an elephant ear booth and I will want a reward for watching basketball! God give me strength!

Tomorrow we are having Father's day here. So I will be baking and cleaning all morning and celebrating all afternoon! The weather is suppose to be nice at least! I hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Sue
MaintenanceMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #318  
I will do it!

Default Hi ya!

Sue-thanks for the info on the zinc. I’ll look for it. Well, I wasn’t good at the Olive Garden. I had some dish with a creamy dish, artichokes, and sun dried tomatoes. Ah, rats! No dessert! We were going to go to Englewood on Memorial Day but we went to Casperson instead. It seems that more locals go to that beach. My husband likes it-he has one of those shell digger baskets and spends HOURS looking for shells. Sounds like you are having a busy Saturday-but fun also! I wasn’t sure what an elephant ear booth was—but then I figured it out. YOU CAN RESIST!

Mouse-ouch on the ankle. I was suppose to do physical therapy a few years ago for my foot/ankle. I just couldn’t fit it in with my wacky schedule. I fell down a flight of stairs and hurt my foot-they said it was the way I walked. They gave me exercises. I find the more I exercise the less my knee hurts—but it hurts while I exercise, when it rains, when it is cold, when I get up from sitting down…..lol….

Ginny-ah those blasted standardized tests. Your daughter was in 3rd grade, right? The big thing in 3rd grade is making sure she knows her x facts for 4th grade. Also they do a lot more problem solving. I’m assuming that was the bulk of her test. It’s no longer 34234234134+1242344-23423424=. They now have to be able to do multiple step problem solving. I HATED word problems when I was in school. It is still hard to teach. I’m going into work next week. Let me see if I can snag a 3rd textbook. We are getting a new series so we are DISCARDING the texts. I can send it out to you. She also needs to know area and perimeter and graphing. I’ll also see what online resources. I know that there is a FCAT practice test that you can download. She could work on that. Granted it’s Florida specific-but all the states have similar benchmarks. ---oh duh…..you are in New York state. What scores did she get back Terra Nova? I lived in NY and taught there for a few years. I was in western NY.

Well we decided to not go to the beach. The grass had to be cut (dh is doing that now). We have a few things to get down around the house. We are going to the pool later and then a movie. I didn’t get a FitFare meal at Olive Garden.  We were going to try and see Mr. & Mrs. Smith but it was sold out. I told Kristi we’d go a different time. She is the teacher I worked with. She is so sweet. Her daughter is going to be in my class next year. Her daughter is a darling, bright cookie! She was suppose to be tested for gifted-I don’t know what happened to that—I’ll make sure I’m on it…! My dh and ds had a good time on their day out. They were at the movies! They saw Madagascar. Nathan said he had fun, but missed me. I’m sure my husband loved that….lol.

I better get going. Almost 10 am! Man, I’ve got to set the alarm next week!!!

Super Saturday!

Debs
debsturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #319  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hello people.

I went to the real (non emergency room...I didn't want to go to the ER...I was told by the insurance company to go!) doctor yesterday. He thinks that I have a stress fracture in my ankle. He sent me to bed for the weekend with an icebag. And I was sent to the hospital for an xray. They bent my foot and leg everywhich way...which was not graceful but very painful.... and sent me on my way. I'm on huge doses of Motrin every 4 hours (with directions NOT to miss a dose). I will hear from the office on Monday about the xray and I have an appointment on Tuesday IF the xray shows nothing. The leg / foot is feeling better....as long as I don't stand on it!

I have tried to read all the posts that I've missed...but I've not done a very good job. Please forgive me! I do miss my old laptop that was from my old school! I can't sit at this computer for long as the foot begins to throb like crazy. Whine whine whine...
it is all about me! Sorry!

Ginny, even though your daughter is a reading nut...have you looked at the books by Rainbow Bridge Publishing called Summer Bridge Activities? They are grade specific...
I have used them at home for years with my boys during the summers! I get mine from Barnes and Noble....I know that you can find them in other bookstores! Also, you can find "real" math books or programs at bookstores (they are used by teachers and by homeschoolers..) or at "teacher stores".... Let me know via PM if you'd like further info.... or very specific titles and stuff... While I've taught 1st grade for 18 years...I've been a mom searching for extra work for both my boys since the oldest was in preschool!

I have yet to get to the store to get a postcard.... please get that kid in from the mailbox...she is making me feel so guilty! LOL I will get to the store by Tuesday (Dr's appointment...) if not sooner. This leg/foot thing is slowing me down! (Back to MEEEE! LOL)

I've yet to get to the library BUT I'm heading there Monday...if my DH will drive me... (I have a standard...and while my leg/foot thing is in my left leg...THAT is the leg I use to change gears...and it HURTS...in case you forgot!) I was told by the doctor that I need less stress... more hobby / reading / relaxing / ME time. ...and of course I need to exercise and lose weight. Thanks... I can barely walk... let me see if I can do some leg lifts! When I made a face at his last comment about weight.... and then asked HOW did he think I could exercise if I couldn't stand comfortably? He did admit that I needed to get my leg / foot (I don't know exactly what part of me is not right...) well first! Dr. Butthead! Mouse, I think one of your doctors has migrated South!

Sue, You mentioned being at the same school for 20 years... This year, after being in the same ROOM for 17 years, I left the district....and am now teaching in the same county where I live. At 40, I was the "new" teacher. The oldest NEW anything! LOL
I was petrified, terrified, horrified....... but I knew that I had to leave my very urban school and get away from social working, parenting the parents, umpire-ing, playing child psychologist, etc....and being abused by the district admin, the school admin, the parents, and even the kiddos myself. It was hard and very scary to leave. BUT, I have discovered that even at 40, change is GOOD! I've very much enjoyed my new school and the new and very different challenges of teaching rural kiddos. (WHAT a change in scenery and needs .........Not bad or good...Just totally different!) I do miss my slick city kiddos. I KNEW that I made a difference in their lives. BUT...the time had come for me to find a new place to put my ruler! It has been great! ...AND...I'm not going to be the "new" teacher come August! Being NEW and all it entailed was exhausting! But..I'm learning...and getting things down! ENOUGH! Sorry.

With all that typed, I can no longer stand the throbbing...I'm gonna get back to bed.
I'll return tomorrow!
take care,
mmeeee
(Hatteras.... who asked me about that? Buxton, N.C. is our favorite spot on the planet.... Right there on the beach near the Hatteras Light House! Have you seen the cover of the new Nicholas Sparks book? THAT is my light! We live about 4 hours away in Va! )
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:36 PM   #320  
Swimming Mouse

Evening, all.

Robyn: Take care of that leg. You could TRY swimming. I'm living proof that you don't NEED to use all of your limbs to do it. And, in case anybody was curious, I too have a laptop... don't know what I'd do without it since my whole leg goes to sleep if I dangle my foot straight down for too long. I don't THINK any of my doctors have migrated south, though. As far as I know, they are all still in the area.... and I think they're breeding so that the next generation is ready to be stupid soon.

Debs: Elephant Ears! My grandmother LOVES those things. They have them at every kosher bakery on the planet. I only like them if they are fresh ... hot... if not, they get stale and icky. I don't think I've had one in years.
I don't have much choice about physical therapy; I was pretty good when I made appointments during work. I always made them for late in the day so I missed nothing or just missed the 10 minutes of PM Homeroom. I fall so often anymore that it just gets on my nerves. And of course, I have a good physical therapist now, but I'll be moving again, soon... and she's too far for me to drive to more than once or twice a month, if that.
Sue: I haven't taken many of the classes, but I do teach kids with autism. I have LOTS of kids with autism. I just didn't take the graduate level classes that were specific to autism; my master's degree is in transition planning and severe/multiple disabilities. I'm going to take a couple of the classes, the one on social skills... I think that is one of the hardest parts.
Me? I spent 4 hours in the pool today, from 4:30 to 8:30... 2.5 hours of it was practicing the life guard skills. And I was so ticked! The head lifeguard, who, admittedly, has a bad back... didn't even GET IN THE WATER when we did all the deep water stuff... AND IS CHECKED OFF ON ALL THE SKILLS! I'm checked off on ONE, the 500 yard swim. The instructor is refusing to check me off any of the rescue skills because I couldn't sink myself and pull somebody up from the bottom... and I took my hand off the freaking brick one time, so she's making me do that part again too. Oh, I was sOOOOOO MAD!!!!!!!!
I spent all day swimming with just my legs, on my back, holding 25 pounds on my chest. And the aquatics director told me that I wasn't holding enough weight (she thought I was just using a little blue barbell that is 5 pounds), so I told her what I did... and then she was okay with it, but I still can't sink! I just can't do it.... even with like 50 extra pounds around my waist I couldn't sink very far. Or if I do get down there, I don't stay down long enough to get the proper grip on the neck of the victim and come up safely.
:sigh:
Old 06-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #321  
burned out bus driver

Happy Fathers day........

OFf to church and then a double header......yup you guessed it.
See ya!
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:10 PM   #322  
Swimming Mouse

Good morning/afternoon all.
I will be going to the gym in a few hours so I can practice more skills, but I swear I'm going to do some hard swimming for myself FIRST.
I also wrote a testimonial for a software company; I've used their software in my classroom for years, and they asked me several months ago if I was interested in writing something. Typically, my supervisor ignored/didn't answer my request, but since I don't work for them anymore... Why not???? And its their loss: they would've gotten the credit with the name of their school and their program listed, but oh well.
I am going to go put all my dishes in the dishwasher and run that, then do some cooking for later in the week. But, right now I'm watching 'Ladder 49'. I saw it in the theatre and cried my eyes out... so I got it from NetFlix to see again. I knew what was coming, so I didn't cry this time (not much!).
And, for the cuteness statement of the day: There is a medium-sized ball of fur with its head half buried in a yellow blanket... eyes shut... purring. AWWWW!!!!!
This same ball of fur attacked my feet a few moments ago when I came back over to the futon.
Hmmm... you know, I really should CLEAN this apartment. :gah: I hate cleaning!
:mouse
Old 06-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #323  
burned out bus driver

back again-

Mouse- glad that Imp is living up to her name..........There is something so sweet about a sleeping cat......and the funny positions they get into. Still attacking your feet eh???? Lot of kitten left there! I remember when you had first seen Ladder 49- I think you had thought you knew some of the extras in it (and ended up they were not?) As far as housework?Well, you know my line about it, it is very patient and always waits for you. Aw, you will have to get the stuff done sooner or later......with moving and the like. When will you move to your new home? How is your leg feeling?

Robyn- so glad you made it to the hospital and got that checked out! Yup- take that advil, just be sure to eat something- advil is rough on the stomach in even small doses. Sorry about the brain dead Dr (hey Mouse had to share them with someone, she had encountered way too many for one person!).
With summer break coming, I do hope that some more "me time" is on the schedule for you. What are you going to get at the library?

Deb- thanks for the advice for Dd. She did not take the Terra Nova's- she attends a small Christian school (where we attend church). They will be taking the state ELA's next year....and I am curious how she will fare on them.
So right about the word problems. I never had trouble with math, and I always found it sort of fun (until I took advanced differential equations sophomore year in college and thought they were insane). But I have tried to make up problems for her- using the subject of cats (she loves cats and kittens so it makes it interesting for her). What totally ticked me off about this year was that anything requiring verbal skills- even reading science, to of course history and just plain reading she is almost off the charts with. This teacher she had focused on 4 favorite students- two were very special needs (one slightly autistic, the other who has been raised in a spanish speaking home and I suspect is also ADD and two other kids) leaving the rest of the class to die on the vine. Dd actually felt confident in her math at the end of second grade (bless that teacher) and now feels like a failure. If you can get a text that would be great (I will pay for the postage) but I can also take up the other good advice and snoop around B&N and see if they have something appropriate. How did your kids like Madagascar???? Dd really wants to see it.

Sue- hope you resisted the elephant ear booth...but then there are times that giving in is good, as long as you can control the dammage and get right back on track. Hey, you tried the housework experiment with your Dh too???
I did that with mine.....let his clothes pile up (he refuses to put anything clean or dirty away......so masses of clothes just piled up for over a week) and it did no good. I just got more and more aggravated.....why are men such slobs? Hope your Fathers day goes well and you are not stressed by all the cleaning/cooking etc.

We ended up having MIL/FIL over yesterday for Fathers day. I had bought some steaks and shrimp on sale and knew that baseball would somehow interfere with today, so we invited them over at the last minute. I cleaned a ton and cooked up a storm in a hurry. Dh announced that we "all had to pitch in and help Mom...." which meant that he mowed the back lawn and then sat out on a lawn chair ...... Ah, both Dd's helped and for the most part the day went well. Glad it is over. I will be leaving in a wee bit for Ds's games- and then we will pick up a pizza or something like that while out.
Guess I'd better go and get some bills done. Or at least started.......see ya later!
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:34 PM   #324  
Swimming Mouse

I had to come back and share:
The testominal I wrote is going to be published, and they liked it so much that they're going to PAY me for it... a gift certificate for training or product.

Okay.
Ginny, sounds like you had a good day. Imp, actually, is male... well, the parts that are left are.... if you get my drift. And yes, there is a lot of kitten left when he wants it to be there. Oh, and yes... my Red Cross group was supposed to be in the film, since we are in the St. Patrick's Day parade they filmed. But we're not there---they used a clip of the Special Olympics group instead. And I do know at least one of the extras, but I couldn't pick her out either time I saw the film.
I'm sure there is something else I am supposed to be commenting on in your message, but I need to eat dinner. I ran out of time (did a lot of writing today!) and so didn't get dinner before the gym.... then I spent an hour swimming, 2 hours with the kids... and speaking of sloppy males!!!! The male instructional staff left a huge mess that I wound up cleaning up. And I was already dry, too... so I had to get back in the pool to help move the lane lines and clean up their mess.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #325  
I will do it!

Talking

Quick post...

Ginny--Does your daughter use the Abeka curriculum? Familiar with-taught 3rd for 3 years using it. My son just completed kindergarten using it. I'll look for that book tomorrow!

Mouse-awesome on the writing! My dh decided to make things interesting for the lifeguards on Saturday. He went to swim under the water in the 3 ft.-didn't realize it and......2 chipped teeth, a really bad cut on this lip (he should probably have gotten stiches) and a whole lot of pride meet him at the bottom! The lifeguards were great! We went to the pool yesterday and the one from Saturday was joking with him.

Robyn-oh yes, I know were Buxton is. A few years ago we stayed at a beach house (fireman themed) in Frisco. We went to Hatteras. My dh grew going camping there for numerous years.

If I left anyone out...sorry...I'll be back later today. I have a bunch of stuff to do around this house and have to go to the store.

Have a super Monday!

Debs
debsturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 AM   #326  

I'm back. The weekend was nice. I managed to get through the festival without one ounce of fair food! YEAH ME! Actually it was pure luck, not willpower that did the trick. I had decided ahead of time that I would do caramel popcorn instead of the elephant ear because it is the lesser of the two evils. Once I get my mind set, I'm pretty good. Then as it was there wasn't a single booth selling caramel popcorn! Plenty of elephant ears though but my mind was set on the popcorn. I ended up popping some 94% fat free kettle corn when I got home. It wasn't quite the same but it did the trick.

Robyn - Don't you dare worry about that postcard when you should be resting your leg! We don't have any deadlines as to when she needs to have them all in, so wait until you are better. She has received three postcards so far and is really excited. I think this will be fun for all of us! I decided that I am going to print a blank U.S. map and she can color in the states as she gets them. Right now she just has a check list but I think the map would be better.
I think you will be surprised at how many students you can make a difference for even in a rural community. Around here the teachers are sometimes the only people who care about the child's education. I know with some of my students I am more Mom to them then their own. In fact I had two seniors graduate this year who called me "Mom" (jokenly of course but it is because I act like one).

Ginny - I wasn't stressed over Father's day as it was MY side of the family coming (they call me the anal one and think my house is clean when it is not!) and I love to bake! In fact I have thought about starting a business after I retire where people could call up and have something baked homemade. I am not sure I would enjoy it if I HAD to do it though. On the other hand, my DH would like to open a Dunkin Doughnut some day (because he is addicted to their coffee) and maybe I could just back some healthy alternatives to the doughnuts. Not that we could afford to by a franchise or anything but one should always dream!

Not all men are slobs, my sister married a man who likes the house tidy and she isn't the best house keeper, so he does a lot. I know mine just doesn't get it. Lately he has been mowing the front yard and thinking that is plenty of a contribution for the week! Now we do mow about 9 of our 11 acres, so that is a time consuming task but we have a huge tractor mower so it basically is just sitting and driving. Luckily he is cute and charming or I would have had to hurt him a long time ago!

Mouse - Congratulations on your testimonial being published. That would be exciting! We just watched Ladder 49 last week. I loved the movie but hated the ending. I like happy endings!

How much longer for you silly people who are still working. You must be close, it is almost July for goodness sake!

Sue
MaintenanceMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #327  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Talking

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I have been MIA for so long, but there was just too much to do with all the activities involving graduation and the end of the year, not to mention everything at DD's school. How do people with large families do it?!

I was done today. DD is done tomorrow.

I'm gonna start a fresh thread for the summer. Look for us!!!
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:23 PM   #328  
Swimming Mouse

Evening, all.
Not a whole lot happening here: I think I'll be doing more lifeguarding at the gym in July, which is good. I actually applied for unemployment, so we'll see if I get it. I wasn't going to, but then I thought about it: I've paid into the system since I was 13 years old (camp counselor job!), and they can certainly give some of it back to me. Bad attitude? Maybe. I only want it for June & July, anyway... I'll get my first check from my new school the end of August.
I'm happy to report that I have been swimming longer distances again: I am back to 3/4 of a mile or a mile whenever I'm there. I'm trying to do the Chesapeake Bay swim that we're doing at the gym. I'm going to scrape up my pennies and pay for the registration fee: I want the t-shirt from the gym!
Oh, and I finally got my grade on my spring grad school class... so I submitted the tuition reimbursement to the people at the other school. I mailed it right to the director, and included a list of stuff that is still missing from my classroom. I told her that I was shocked and dismayed over the condition of my belongings and how they were packed because I certainly never would have treated THEIR stuff that way! And would she please ensure that I get the rest of the items belonging to me so I don't have to seek other alternatives to regain my belongings. She's smart; she should figure out what I mean.

Deb: Thanks for the congrats. I'm glad your son is okay, and that he was willing to go back! I can do all of the stuff except sink myself to the bottom. I *think* I can get low enough to bring somebody up from six feet, though, now. Lots of practice!!!!

Sue: Congrats on avoiding fair food. I love funnel cakes and the fresh french fries. I don't ever eat either, though... or I'll get a small fry and share it with my mom & grandmother when we go to the farmer's market.

Summer: AWESOME! Free! Does this mean we're going to become a 'Summer Edition' again? Hmmm... what can we call it? I mean, we did summer last year!