Old 06-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #113

Good Morning! It's a rainy morning in my neighborhood this morning. We don't need any more rain right now! Looking at the weather map on TV, we are in for a week of clouds, wind, scattered showers, and thunderstorms. frown We won't have any ball games next week because Ian is going to scout camp. I have laundry in the washer and dryer so will have clothes to put away. There is a "new" cat coming to eat. At first it was coming after dark but now has been coming during the daytime. I'm guessing it is a she because of the size; she has strange markings, mostly white with orange ears and tail. I feel bad because she will run as soon as she sees either one of us move. I didn't have any food out this morning because of the rain and she showed up, ran when I started to open the door, but came back after I put the bowl out. Bob says I can't talk to to her!

Bob is home early for lunch so guess I'd better see what I have on hand. Thinking BLT sandwiches. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JUNE MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

JEAN OOPS didn't see ... so started a new thread.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-11-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #3  

Good Morning! Have been to the hospital auxiliary fund raiser called Purses 4 Nurses. We invite the public so changed the title a bit. Lots of purses in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I did find one -- hot pink and white stripes. Now we are on our way to Zowie's play this afternoon.

Have a fantastic Friday!
Old 06-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking

☺♫

Nothing much going on here this day in the ♥-Land. The clouds are gathering and hopeful we will get some more rain. Everything is still nice and green and looking more like spring.

I have been going through my spices and checking them for freshness. I do keep them in a dark cupboard and they all seem to be fine. When a spice loses some of its spiciness’ it is proper to use more of it that is called for. I rarely through any away.

JEAN Poor kitty probably has been abused and abandoned,

Old 06-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies. 81 degrees already and heading for the middle 90s.

I was feeling really good and so went to applique Monday and by that afternoon I was coughing and feeling feverish. Went to the doc on Tuesday and she sent me for a chest x-ray and it showed pneumonia in my left lung - just a small patch. So back on antibiotics and prednisone (very high dose this time) and coedine cough syrup. I got up today feeling more like myself and only a little coughing so hopefully I'll finally get over this. She said it can take a month for the fatigue to go away. Of course all the prednisone has played havoc with my weight and the antibiotics have messed up my intestinal tract.

Jean, you surely are a cat magnet. Calico cats are female. Poor thing. The purse sale sounds like a lot of fun.

Maggie, that new camping stove is something! You sure know where to find the good stuff.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

☺♫

Not much going on this day in the ♥-Land. I saw a handy hint on extending the life of strawberries which only last about a week in the fridge. If you place them in water to rinse them also add a splash of vinegar then rinse them and place them in the fridge it will double their life.

SUSAN So sorry to hear you have been under the weather. But glad you are better now. Male calico cats typically have a chromosomal aberration of two X chromosomes and one Y chromosome (XXY). Cats with this chromosomal configuration are usually sterile (not able to breed). This is similar to a condition in humans called Klinefelter's syndrome, or XXY Syndrome. Granted there are lots more female calico cats than there are males giving the idea that there are only female ones.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #7  

Good Evening! We just got home from the lake where it was another cool and gloomy day . . . until we were ready to leave and the sun came out! Grr! Bob had chores to do or we could have stayed a little longer. It is warm enough to have the deck doors open, one for each cat. The white kitty was here for breakfast this morning, and I managed to open the door without scaring her off. I sure didn't accomplish anything here today, and it's too late to start any projects now.

Susan, I hope you feel better soon! I'm so sorry about the meds creating havoc with your innards and weight. The "new" cat doesn't have any black fur at all and thought tortoise cats had all three colors mixed together. She is mostly all white and looks like she has an orange crown with her orange ears and orange across the top of her head between her ears. Her tail is orange and has rings around it.

Maggie, I had not heard about the vinegar and strawberries. I did read on FB not to wash them until you wanted to eat them, to prolong their freshness. Our strawberries haven't been very good yet.

Guess I will go see what treasures the mailman left today. It seems like Sunday instead of Saturday. Enjoy a nice evening!

Last edited by Jean; 06-13-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #8  

Good Morning! We got up to sunshine but it has disappeared now. It's 77 degrees and humid but no rain in the forecast. A couple days ago they had rain predicted for every day this week. I think the weatherman spins a wheel and reads whatever it stops on. Since we went to the lake yesterday, I have laundry going, cleaned litter boxes, and vacuumed the basement floor. The hose from the dehumidifier, to the sump pump in the closet, got bumped so it was squirting water back on the floor. I noticed the wet mat at the bottom of the stairs first.

The flies outside are horrible! Bob calls them the dumb flies because they are smaller and just sit waiting to get swatted. Rumor (?) has it, it is because of the dead birds. When we came home from Ian's ball game the other night we could see a bright spot in the sky and then the smoke. As we got closer we could also smell the stench. Bob remembered this town has an incinerator where they were burning chicken and turkey bodies.

Zowie is going to a horse camp next weekend for three days. Her "other" grandmother asked if we would like to pay for half, with them, for Zo's birthday. There is a program on Sunday and then a family potluck to follow. Guess who forgot to write it on the calendar? Not me! The other grandparents were invited, and accepted, an invitation to their son's for Father's Day. They live in Minneapolis so no way can they be in both places. Glad it wasn't me!

The washer should be done and my "break" over, so on to the next project, whatever that might be. Hope you all enjoy a nice Sunday! The sun is back out and shining brightly!

Last edited by Jean; 06-14-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Sunday and Raining

☺♫

It is sprinkling as I type. Nice and gentle which will soak in as it falls. I love the pitter patter of the rain on the roof.

We were planning on going to a nice restaurant for lunch and the parking lot was full and overflowing on the edge of the highway. Needless to say we just drove on to Qudobas and had a nice shredded beef, rice and cheese burrito. I am currently sipping from a bottle of Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water to quench my thirst.

Nothing much happening around here. Church this morning and again this evening is the plan.

JEAN That gal had some other nice hints like rubbing oil on the shell of eggs makes them last a lot longer; cut the top bunch of leaves off a pineapple and place it with that end on a plate so the sweetness that has settled to the bottom distributes throughout the pineapple; place fresh asparagus in a glass of water stems down and then in the fridge to maintain crispness; cut the bottom off of a bunch of celery and roll the stalks in paper towels then put in a plastic bag into the fridge; rub lemon juice on a cut avocado half & cover with plastic wrap & into the fridge to keep it fresh and from browning; if you have a bottle of soda that has gone flat make popcicles out of it.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-14-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, the sun is trying hard to peek through the cloud cover. We had rain this morning again, and we DON'T need any more right now! I had "extra" posting this morning at church because the bank list was due, plus our friendship fund that always goes with the communion service. In order to get credit some people write checks for that fund, as well as regular giving, the bike ride coming in July, the ice cream social in July, altar flowers, and building rent, etc. Each has a different account number, but I must be getting better (or else more careful) because I didn't have to go back looking for a mistake. The gift shop has been really slow so not much to count from there. Amanda has gotten interested in essential oils which I know zero about. The local health food store has advertised it and there was a parking spot right in front, so I stopped to see what I could learn. I know even less than I thought I did, which wasn't much. There are recipes for mixing whatever one might want for whatever reason. Whew! I did buy a bottle called Cheer Up Buttercup, and it has a citrus smell. I also purchased a terra cotta diffuser simply because it was $30 cheaper than the spray ones. Amanda said she has put the oil on a cotton ball and puts them in Ian's tennis shoes overnight and they don't stink the next day. It's an interesting area to search and learn. If any of you have morning sickness or an upset stomach, there is a recipe for that, as well as acne, sleep issues, or just about anything.

Maggie, I have never heard the egg tip -- interesting. It seems like all the food ideas seem to come around from time to time.

I need to get busy and fold a load of towels that should be dry by now. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining brightly and not a cloud in sight. So much for the "rain every day this week" forecast! I went for a perm this morning and she took forever. It's usually three hours and today almost four. My patience was running very thin and my bu** was tired of her chair! Sometimes I think I must talk a different language or she doesn't pay attention to what I say regarding what I want done. Enough said about that! I need to go buy stamps and pick up some milk.

Hope everyone's day is going well.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #12  

Good morning everyone. I am back in the land of Elvis, high temps and high humidity. It didn't get below 80 last night and it is climbing already today. The humidity is around 80% this morning so my floors are all sticky. Ick!

We had a wonderful time all around. I got to see a bunch of friends I haven't seen in decades and family too. We had issues with the hotel, which were a nightmare, but otherwise it was great. I am putting put a few pics on FB

The heat is making my legs swell, especially the right one so I have been wearing my toeless compression socks on and off, which is helping immensely. Eating out 3 times a day was a nightmare though and I have to get to the store and restock all the fruits and veg and such this weekend to get back on track. I did get me some bananas, milks and breads last night, but will wait until Saturday to get stocked up. Sunday is commissary day too.

I have laundry, laundry, laundry to get done and and all the shoes and clothes to put away, but I put away all the hygiene stuff and drinks and snacks. I have finished two loads of laundry, but boy there is a lot of it.

Susan: Hope by now you are all better. I imagine the whole thing with the meds and such has been a nightmare.

Maggie: Glad you got back all safe and sound. Tx for the tips

Jean: So sorry your lady didn't follow your instructions on your hair. Drives me nuts when they do that, but I have to say, Connie does exactly as I want. If I want it shorter, shorter it is, if I want to try a different color then we go for it. Ugh that had to be nasty smelling all those dead birds and such.

Everyone have a great day. I am off to check laundry again.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! It's been another nice sunny day with a breeze. Beautiful! I worked in the gift shop this morning for another lady, and sold a monkey. The volunteer director had busy work to do for another department and then the buyers came to check in some baby clothes. They mark everything double our cost so I helped mark items. It's becoming a "grandma" store I think. Tiny newborn baby shoes, brown football ones for boys and red checked ones for girls -- $12. As I was leaving they unpacking little tutus and debating on the price. Doubled they should be $20, and I asked them if they would pay that much. Both said, "no!" at the same time. I will be curious to see what they decide for a price. I stopped in to see Bob's secretary this morning. She is in good spirits but will be stuck in the hospital until at least July, then six weeks without antibiotics to be sure the infection is gone, then a new knee in August sometime, and six weeks of rehab for that. I ran some errands this afternoon and have a P.E.O. meeting tonight with the other two chapters.

"Gma," welcome home! I'm glad you had a good time. Did you let the hotel management about the noisy kids and senseless parents? They should adjust your bill! Unpacking and putting things away is never as much fun as getting ready to go. Did Jack have to work today? I've gone to the same hair gal forever -- 37 years; it will always grow back and I've already cut two hunks off that stuck out. You'd think she would at least notice how I comb it when I walk in the door. Nope, doesn't happen. Problem is I don't know who I would switch to.

Bob should be home soon. I need to go to the grocery store! The food fixings are pretty slim tonight. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #14  

Good morning all. Hot, hot, hot for the next ten days at least. We went out after Jack got home from work and bought a 13000 btu portable unit to put downstairs, which will cool much more space and then Jack is going to take the 1000 btu one upstairs and stick in his office to cool it in the evening when he is in there. The new unit also is a heater so hopefully come winter we can save some on the utilities by lowering the furnace and using the heater during the day as we already lower it at night because it gets too hot upstairs.

Jack bought himself a new grill/smoker and it is being delivered today. We had to pay for it to be assembled and delivered, but the heat index is near 100 during the day so I didn't want him out there putting it together. This way it is ready to use right away. We do have to season the grates, but that doesn't take a lot of time. He has always wanted a smoker and has never liked the gas grill so when it went belly up we just waited and decided to get a grill this year so we can cook outside more and keep the house cooler. Great for the diet too, less fat.

I am finishing up one load of laundry and then it is all done. Now it is lugging it upstairs and putting it away. I brought hangers down so everything is on hangers so I will make a couple trips up today and then Jack can help me finish up tonight. I have to hem Thomas's pants tomorrow for sure as his birthday is next week though I don't know what if any plans there will be.

Jack got his Father's Day present from me while we were on vacation. I bought him a new full sized Ipad with 128g so he has plenty of storage space and such. His mini was only a year old so I wrapped it up and bought earphones and an ITunes card and put it all in a gift bag and gave it to Jackson as part of his bday present. He had a really old phone and tablet of his mother's that didn't work very well. I made him open the card first, then the earphones. He wasn't all that thrilled with either, then took out the square package and said, "oh they bought me a book." I had bought a cover for it to protect it and when he got it unwrapped his eyes got huge and he jumped up and ran around the couch and hugged us and kept saying thank you. Needless to say, I think we are now in with the grandson. We also got him this Lego hulk/iron man thing that he wanted.

We had fun at the museum and thank goodness for wheelchairs or I would have been miserable. My knees hurt something awful the whole time we were up there most days were hard to even walk with the right one. It rained everyday we were up there so I surmise that was most of the problem.

We are having ham steak for dinner tonight with hash browns and I have to decide what veg I want to go with it. When I get done here I am going to make myself a protein shake with a banana and milk. It is strawberry flavored and I haven't tried that yet. I am going to go back and buy some other flavors I think.

Jean: I don't know where the buyers get their stuff, but seems to me they pay to much for it to begin with. I mean, you can buy cute baby shoes for what you said is cost for them. I wouldn't pay that much either for something for a baby. I would go somewhere else I imagine. We have a couple high end baby shops here and the prices are outrageous. I found an adorable pair of blue plaid seersucker shorts with a blue sweater with a bunny on it I bought for Jackson and never gave to him. They still have the tags on and everything so hopefully I live to see a great grandson so I can give it to him.

Everyone have a great day. Back to the laundry.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice Day

☺♫

Not much going on today in this neighborhood. Will is at the Museum and the animals are snoozing on this beautiful day in the ♥-Land.

I got a very interesting book in the mail and am going to have fun going through it. It is Giant Book of Kitchen Counter Cures which is a Jerry Baker Health Book. It also contains 111 healing recipes. Anyway I am going to have fun going through it today. If I can eat something instead of popping a pill I am better for it.

DONNA FAYE We have a small smoker by Webber that we can take in the MH. I can't remember a time when we didn't have a smoker. I have a type I use in my inside oven that works great also. I can smoke inside or outside. I have lots of different types of wood chips that work in the inside one depending what type of meat I am smoking. My mother had one of these kind and I thought it was something a home cook should have. I am keeping it for it can also be used as a baking pan. It won't take up any more room in the MH than a cake pan would.

JEAN & SUSAN What are you gals up to today?

Last edited by Maggie; 06-18-2015 at 01:15 PM.