Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 02:08 PM   #76  
fatter than U

Talking still barely alive

The heat wave broke last night. The night before it didn't go under 29°C all night and it was 35 during the day. I mean, really! Today it was a balmy 25 in the shade.

LOVE that list, Kiwi! You have to submit it. Some of the other lists on that site are a real hoot.

Mentioned my mid-life crisis to Mummy a couple weeks ago and today she sends me this e-mail inviting me (= they pay ) to join her and my dad for a couple of weeks in Nova Scotia when they go to visit my brother and his family who just moved there. Kids have school holidays then and dh and mil have said they would look after them so it looks like I'm all set. Here I was thinkin' I could just hop on a plane and be there in 5 hours or so, since it takes about 13 to get to Vancouver, and what do I discover? It takes anywhere between 13 and 15 hours! Ack! First they make you land in exotic places like Frankfurt, Amsterdam or London, and then it's off to either Newark, Boston, Toronto or Montreal. I'll be a basket case. Oh well. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

And what have we learned from all this? That's right:

Whining will get you everywhere!

Speaking of whining, I've been having this PAIN in my right elbow and forearm and when I looked up my symptoms on the net, I discovered that I have...wait for it... Mouse Elbow , which is the same as Tennis Elbow but much, much trendier. Dh lent me his arm brace thingie and that helps a bit, but ouch. There's also something called Mouse Shoulder, which is probably what Lushy and Kiwi have. Ain't gonna keep me off the computer, though.

Good luck for your op, Wabby! It'll be a piece of cake, don't you worry. And get well soon to the Lushette! (this has taken me twice as long as usual to write because I'm trying to type with an orange popsicle in one hand.)
Old 08-14-2003, 03:11 PM   #77  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Wow! 13 hours

That's a lot of flying just to hop the pond!

Hey, I've searched for info on Mouse Shoulder and never found anything! Where are you looking? Of course that was probably a year ago. Actually my shoulder is fine now, although my elbow flares up some. I definitely have some hand pain now -- probably the beginnings of arthritis being aggravated by the mouse. My mouse has been sticking a lot lately and I find myself pushing it around instead of just moving it easily. I suppose I should do myself a favor and clean the darn thing.

Gotta go TaDaDump (as in ta-da-dump, ta-da-dump, ta-da-dump-dump-dump). I'm so dorky.

Kiwi
Old 08-14-2003, 04:17 PM   #78  
fatter than U

Talking Your wish is my command

Not much out there on shoulder problems but I found these:

Common Computer Related Injuries

Shoulder Problems

Safe Computing Tips

Practice Safe Computing

Apparently we're all supposed to become "ambimoustrous" so we can surf even longer without pain.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:28 PM   #79  

Location: the Loralai district in Pakistan's Baluchistan Province

I have questions:
1. Do you have to click on something to get the worm?
2. Can I prevent my boys from clicking on things?
3. Did Wabby mark her boobs so that the dr would not bob her knees?
4. How does Tylenol work?
5. After reading about mouse shoulder, why isn't my shoulder better?
6. Wabby should be in the thick of things by now, are we all sending her vibes?
that's all, bye
Old 08-14-2003, 05:18 PM   #80  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

OH MY GOSHHHHHHHHHH-----------I THOUGHT SHE WAS BEING DONE TOMORROW!!!I MUST SEND MY VIBES!!!!LOHANI,YOU HAVE NO POWER SO HOW DID YOU GET ON THE INTERNET????? LOWER SLOBOVIA HAS ALL KINDS OF ELECTRICITY!!!!-----GO TO MICROSOFT TO DOWNLOAD THE THING THAT KILLS THE WORM!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:42 PM   #81  
Member w/ messiest house

Thanks, Sugar!! I'm reading about Postural Relief Position right now.

As far as I know at the moment, ths Blaster worm is not coming from email. It's most likely to infect computers that are constantly connected to the internet with high speed connections.

The main thing is to keep your virus software up to date and to scan for viruses every week or so! If you do that, your computer's probably not infected. If you haven't done it, you should -- and before Saturday -- that is when the affected machines are programmed to start bombarding Microsoft with download requests. Also, by the way, if you are running Windows 98, this worm doesn't work on your computer. Only infects computers running XP, Windows 2000, NT 4.0 and Server 2003.

Kiwi
Old 08-14-2003, 05:56 PM   #82  
Member w/ messiest house

Holy !! I just read about the power blackout! Didn't affect us here -- we get our power by burning moose droppings, as you know.

Glad I'm not travelling -- they've shut down service to a whole list of airports because of power outages. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be anything other than system overload.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:33 PM   #83  
The magic shrinking cow

I got that worm, but it wasn't too difficult to get rid of it. I now have my virus scan updated and all patches installed. I'm guessing whoever wrote that worm actually did some of us a favor, since it only affected those who were too lazy to apply the patch three weeks ago. It could have been worse.

If you're reading my fitness blog, you know my kitty is sick. It's some kind of neurological disease/ incident/ event. He's been at the vet since midday Tuesday. Vet says he can come home tomorrow afternoon, but he'll have to be on kitty bedrest until further notice. He was all weak and shaky when I visited him today, but I don't think his personality has been affected.

Wabby should be done with her surgery now. I hope she's okay. I'm glad Lushette has gotten through her surgery okay.

That massive power outage is scary! I can't think of a worse place to have a power outage than a big city. Around here, we can get by for a while, but those big cities are so dependent on electricity. I hope the heat isn't so bad for the people there.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:38 AM   #84  

Default You have busy... in the dark or otherwise

Jeez-- I get preoccupied by journal pages and all sorts of things happened here.

Kiwonk-- I hadn't seen McSweeney's lists before... They were great... twisted and odd just like me.

Wabby-- hope you are feeling fit as a fiddle and happy. A friend of mine is having the same surgery in 6 weeks. DD wants to have it once she has insurance again. She bounces all over the rugby field.....

LoLo -- hope you find time for yourself with all the kiddo's goings on. R&R and quiet. I'll be sending tranquil vibes to you.

Sug.. I'm probably fortunate I don't have mouse elbow, too. I have what should be called Giraffe kink instead because my monitor isn't at the right height. But then I exercise and it straightens itself out.
Isn't there a polar express flight to Vancouver? I hope you get to spend more time with friends and family than with strangers in airports.

Cherry - sorry to hear about your sick kitty. Aren't they SO pathetic when they are sick? Poor baby. Hope the fluff ball is perky soon.

The advantage of NOT being up to date with Windows is that the worm writers ignore you. I've got W 95 (!) at home and 98 at work.... So I lucked out... Besides, I use Netscape for e-mail which eliminates most worm stuff... though I have started using Outlook for 3FC because it "works" better for shifting between pages .

Hope the lights are back on soon... Must see if DD was in the dark in Boston. I only found out tonight that Texas has its own power grid. Who knew?

I'm bored... but thankfully not hungry. For once. I think I need to rediscover a "purpose in life" I'm having way to much fun net surfing. No longer aspiring to sex kitten, domestic goddess, or rich entrepeneur. Happy sketching anatomically impossible sheep, cows, people and drinking diet coke....

Ciao.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:46 AM   #85  
fatter than U

Default Re: You have busy... in the dark or otherwise

Quote:
Originally posted by PainterWoman
No longer aspiring to sex kitten, domestic goddess, or rich entrepreneur. Happy sketching anatomically impossible sheep, cows, people and drinking diet coke....
I think we need to get that printed on a t-shirt!

Just found out about the black out in the paper this morning. Americans blaming it on Canadians, Canadians blaming it on Americans and everyone having a big barbeque tonight because their meat is going to spoil. Ick.

I sure hope Bob is feeling better soon. He's so adorable. When I was young we had a cat called Pete who got hit by a car and thrown off into the bushes. Luckily the lady who hit him stopped and found him and phoned us because our name was on his collar. He had a broken leg and we had to hand feed him shrimp for weeks to keep him in a good mood while he healed, poor guy.

It seems to me that I am doing everything wrong in the area of postural correctness. I'm surprised that only my elbow hurts. I never knew that you're supposed to look down on your monitor.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:52 PM   #86  
Member w/ messiest house

Default I have always looked down on my monitor

Of course, then I got this giant one, and we had a few days when it thought it would get the upper hand, but things have settled out and I am looking down on it again. Actually DH's monitor is up on a keyboard tray raised about 3 inches off his desk, which is too high for a computer to begin with. No wonder I don't like using his. The only reason nobody is screaming with pain using his is because the desk is so big, you can just sling your arms across the desk to type, so they are in fact supported.

And thank goodness he got a bug up his behind one day and bought and put together this dandy computer desk for "my" computer! We can't really call them his and hers computers because DD uses both of them and we switch off depending on who got there first. But "mine" is the one I use the most.

The power outage didn't get to Boston -- it was only NY, Conn., a bit of western Mass., parts of Ohio and Michigan and Ontario. I haven't watched the news yet today; they must be mostly back on by now? DH scoffs at the whole thing and tells me "all they have to do is blah blah blahbedy blah; it's really no big deal" (as my eyes glaze over). We were making fun of stations that were interrupting programming last night with The Blackout of 2003, but it is the largest single blackout ever. On the other hand, it's nothing at all compared to the damage and disruption that flooding and hurricanes and tornadoes and so on have done to huge numbers of people, so I can't help but feel like it's a bit overblown.

Kiwi
Old 08-16-2003, 08:06 PM   #87  

Default I take it back.

Originally posted by PainterWoman
No longer aspiring to sex kitten, domestic goddess, or rich entrepreneur. Happy sketching anatomically impossible sheep, cows, people and drinking diet coke....

I AM aspiring to be sex kitten... well maybe sex cow.... (big improvement over sex hippo. Feeling happy today...

After all our purchases we now have shade under the umbrella on the patio, I got to spend some time out doors fertilizing the roses (maybe they'll bloom... when it was too hot, I was afraid to fertilize them... thought they'd get tooooo tired!), and we picked up new PC's. (Not new monitors... so we'll still be looking down on ours, too.)

Glad y'all have your electricity back.... I'm waiting to see how much of the gulf blows away in this hurricane... it was cooler here even, and we're almost 300 miles away.

My plan:
Exercise bike during the news,
sketch.
diet coke.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:49 PM   #88  
loves kleenex box art

I have missed you all. Where have you been?
Old 08-17-2003, 09:44 AM   #89  
fatter than U

Cowpernia's back!!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2003, 09:54 AM   #90  
loves kleenex box art

Oh Sugar that is SOOO Sweet. No wonder you've always been my favorite.

My house is beautiful. My car is broken. Bye.

color=sugarplum

Closed Thread