The Pounds Will Be Falling Off The Worldlies Like The September Leaves (Sept.Thread)

You're on Page 6 of 11
Go to
  • Good morning all,

Bright and sunny outside - a good day to get busy and I'm in the mood to get some things accomplished. Just a quick hi for now before I get distracted and lose my ambition. Back later for personals.
  • Morning all.*

Ceejay – Glad you were able to get together with your friend and that she enjoyed a bit of a getaway from her current living situation.* Good for you getting on the treadmill at the hotel!* Good idea for you to get to the SS office and see what the options are for you.* Even though i know you’re anxious to retire sooner rather than later, holding off could provide extra security from the standpoint of having extra $$ to put away for emergencies and replacing large items down the road like your car.*

Terra – ET was a really cute movie, but I have to say, I haven’t seen it again after I first saw it in the movie theater so many years go!* For some reason I could never catch Hot in Cleveland on whatever channel it originally aired on – was it Lifetime??* But just last weekend I discovered it’s now on TVLand.* Maybe I’ll be able to catch an episode now and then.* I hope you’re able to get in all your walks this week.* Or maybe you won’t since you’ll be on vacation.* But you’ll definitely walk a lot at the zoo, and be having fun at the same time.* My bf and I should plan a trip to the zoo this fall.*

Annie – I’m so glad that your first week went well at the new job!* It sounds like you’re settling in just fine, but it’ll sure be good when you get your own computer.* I’m sure you’ll pick up all the work with minimal trouble.* Wow, a boss that’s a trainer and brings you chai lattes!!!* Awesome!*** I’m sure if you show the least bit of interest in getting some more exercise in your day, your new boss would be happy to throw out some advice, but how about just starting off with a set of wall pushups and a set of squats each morning?* Or do them while you’re waiting for the microwave to heat something.* On days you go out for lunch, walk around the block before and afterwards.* Just insert a little more movement here and there and you can steadily increase it.* I’m glad your commute’s a bit shorter, and it’s great your employer reimburses you for the parking.* You’ll have to let us know which weird holidays you now have off work. * How was the wedding you went to??

Susie – Well, there’s always money having to be spent on home or car, that’s for sure.* I guess you should just be happy it wasn’t all 4 tires needing replacement and that you could afford the repairs.* I’m glad you enjoyed your day at KI.* It would be fantastic if you and Annie could meet there next year!!

Happy – Nice that the yoga class is nearby – getting there can be half the battle!* I think “pressure cooker fear” must be universal amongst those of us old enough to remember its first wave of popularity back in the 70’s hahaha.* Be sure to let us know how your pork roast turns out.* Good to get going with the kettlebells.* And there’s a ton of exercises you can do without weights that just use your own body weight for resistance.* Most of the Body Electric/Margaret Richard workouts I do require minimal equipment, e.g., a mat and hand weights.*

Shad – You sound like you went from totally immobile from whatever hurt your back to doing your usual action-packed work in the yard/garden.* Glad the pain is bearable.* Hope it eases up and fades away quickly.*

__

My weekend was nice.* Friday bf and I watched the movie “All is Bright”, which was a movie I heard reviewed on a podcast to which I subscribe.* I believe it wasn’t released to theaters, just on demand or straight to video.* It starred Paul Giamatti & Paul Rudd, so I thought it’d be good.* It was “just alright”,– took a long time to get going.*

Saturday morning was Jazzercise class.* After that I got out to return some items to the library and visited the thrift shop.* I bought a couple autumn/Halloween plaque decorations to hang on the front door…after which I remembered I already have something like that.* Oh well, I guess I’ll rotate them every week or so.* And maybe put one in the donation bag in the closet…

I had a hankering for Middle Eastern food (after the admin & I had talked about it last week at work), so bf & I went to our favorite place for that food for lunch.* We had lamb kebob sandwiches and split a bowl of lentil soup and some baba ghanoush.* Yum.* We stopped at Hobby Lobby afterwards to buy a replacement buckle piece for doggy’s “hammock” for the back seat of the car.* It’s a large piece of canvas with grommets and straps w/ buckles to attach to the back & front headrest posts.* It covers the back seat and the space where feet/legs usually go so the dog doesn’t fall down into that spot and get hurt.* Anyway, one of the plastic buckles snapped, but we found a replacement at HL and I was able to easily sew it in place

That done, it was a cool day, perfect for the dog park, so I took doggy over there in the late afternoon.* He definitely can’t move anymore like the younger dogs, but he gets quite a bit of exercise and socializing, and that’s the important part.*

Sunday was somewhat lazy, but I did finally get out to the farmers market before they closed up shop at*1 pm.* I bought some peaches and corn.* After that I went to Walmart for a few things.* Did a couple loads of laundry, talked to my mom, and took doggy for a walk by the creek.* Then it was time for dinner and then the football game.

So I didn’t get out for a bike ride, even though Sunday was a lovely day.* I was a bit sore from my Jazzercise class and my squat challenge days and just wanted to relax – except for my squat challenge that day.* I also didn’t do any yard work, unless you count harvesting from our two tomato plants, LOL.* The sedums I want to divide are so pretty right now, I just didn’t want to end up mangling them.* I’ll have to look up the right time to do that, but I have a feeling I’ll just wait until next spring/summer before they get too big and unwieldy to work with.*

Today*I’m having lunch with a friend.* Movie night this week was moved from Tuesday to*tonight, but I think I’ll skip it.* I think I’ll do a BE workout, and of course my squat challenge.

I think one of my clothing orders will be delivered*today.* I ordered from Eddie Bauer.* I have a lot of casual clothes from there, but never ordered anything that I could wear to work, so it’ll be interesting to see if the blazer/pants work out.* I hope it does…I haven’t worn formal business clothing for a long time and so I never bothered replacing my last suit, which is now somewhat out of date and still a bit tight in the waist.* There have been work-related events where I’ve scrambled for something in my closet that’s a bit more formal than my usual dress slacks, top & cardigan.* So sorry Annie, can’t recommend any store for dress slacks at the moment!

Okay, gonna try to post this before our weekly meeting time! TTFN!

---
    Oops, didn't get this posted before lunch. Had a nice chatty lunch. We couldn't remember how long ut had been since our last, so we committed to having our next in a couple weeks.

Okay, back to work.
  • I accumulated 7,880 steps yesterday but I've been lazy today. Also rode the bike for 20 minutes.

-------
    Susie
    Glad you enjoyed the time at KI. That's a lot of walking. We did enjoy our mini vacation.

happy
    It's over cast and sprinkling here. It's a good day for sleeping which I've been fighting.

Laura
    You are correct that I would have more money if I retired at 66. And some things have changed for the better at work. I looked on line to see where I stood but it only gave this year and at the age of 66 not for 65. There are many factors that are involved before I get to retire. I'm mainly day dreaming. We shall see if things happen next year.

Terra and Annie

Shad
    Glad you are back among us. Don't you get out and over do things.
  • Laura ~ Yeah ET is a cute movie but its not a favorite from my childhood, Its a movie I could leave or take. TV Land made HOT In Cleveland so I'm not sure what other channels it would of aired on. Yeah I doubt I'll be able to get my walks in this week cause my aunt is coming down for a visit and She sleeps in the front room and that's where I do my 2 miles at but I can still do my morning walks outside so thats good. Yeah I will be getting alot of walking in when we go to the ZOO on Wed. Thats great that you and your boyfriend might plan a trip to the ZOO this fall as well.

CJ ~ Hi, How are you doing today? I hope all is well with you.
  • Hi everyone -

Lots to catch up on at work, so I'll keep this short (hopefully). I had a wonderful trip! The wedding was amazing and perfect in every way! And spending last week in the Pacific Northwest was perfect! It's so beautiful up there!! It was great to see so many dear friends! I had a lovely birthday. Santa and I visited several dog parks in Oregon, and he was such a great traveling companion.

I had my bariatric psych evaluation yesterday, and I think it went well. Hopefully I'll know this week if I "passed" or if I need further psych evaluations.

I've got a mountain of work to catch up on, but I'll try and get back here later.

Much love,
  • Morning all.*

Ceejay – Whoohoo for the 7,880 steps AND the bike!* * Keep it going!* We had overcast skies yesterday too.* Bleh.**Today*it’s sunny and I’m glad for that.* I’m going to get out for a short walk at lunchtime.* I’m glad things have changed for the better at work for you.* If you can hang in there longer, it’ll certainly help your wallet.*

Terra –I can usually never remember what TV channel shows are on – things were much easier when there were only three networks and a few local channels, LOL.* (Sounding like an old fogey there, haha.)* It’s good you won’t be missing all of your walks this week.* Enjoy the visit with your aunt and the zoo.*

Hi Michelle!* Welcome back gf!!* Glad to hear you had such a great time at the wedding and on your vacation.* The Pacific NW really is a beautiful part of the country.* I’m glad you and Santa traveled well together.* Fingers crossed you won’t need another psych eval for the surgery.* * I don’t envy the *mountain of work you have waiting for you!!

Hellos to the rest of the Worldlies!! Have a great day!

~~

My steps were 6,349 yesterday.* I had to ride my bike home through a light misty rain, but it wasn’t too bad.* I’ll have to check when DST ends – that’ll be when I quit riding the bike for the season.* But until then, I’ll start bringing my bike’s headlight with me for the rides home.*

Last night I did my squat challenge, then did one BE workout.* The BE workout also had a squat routine in it and I was going to fast forward through that, but then I decided to slog through it because I figuredtoday*is a rest day for the challenge and if I were sore (so far not yet) I could use*today*to recover, LOL.*

My Eddie Bauer order arrived yesterday.* I haven’t tried everything on yet, but the slacks fit pretty well.* I’m not sure I like the way the waist is constructed though, but it feels fine.* Also, the back pockets have flaps & buttons and I’m not sure how crazy I am about that either.* The blazer has flaps on its pockets, but they also button…again, not crazy about it.* The fabric’s alright – synthetic, with stretch.* Not nearly as nice as a fine wool gabardine, but not nearly as awful as my polyester double knit high school uniform for freshman/sophomore year.* (That uniform was a solid charcoal gray blazer with brass buttons and a gray plaid skirt. I might have seen the Andy Frain ushers wearing the same blazers, lol. ) I’ve always found Eddie Bauer clothes to be well-made, and these pieces seem to be as well.* This outfit is fine for my purposes, so I guess I’ll keep it.* What I would really want would cost a fortune (isn’t that always the case?), and even if I could afford it, I really don’t want to go on a major hunt for the perfect suit or blazer/pants separates.* Can you tell I don’t like shopping??

*TTFN.
  • Morning all,

This will be short and sweet as I want to get out in the garden before it becomes too hot to work. At the moment it is cool with fog which is rapidly lifting as the sun gets to work on it. Looks like we are in for a long hot summer. Bleh, just hope the rain comes with it since it is most unpleasant. And if we have to pay for the air con to cool the house and for the water to keep the garden going, the wallet will be unpleasantly surprised.

So hi ho, it's off to work I go. Haircut at 10.00am thank goodness. It's lick a cross between a shaggy bear and the fuzzy wuzzy angel right now.

Back later with some personals.
  • Hi ladies,

Not much news here. But I am thrilled that I only gained 1/2 pound on vacation! Now I have 4 and 1/2 lbs to lose to get to my surgery weight. Once I reach the surgery weight, it sometimes takes 4 to 8 weeks to have surgery (because they book out fairly far in advance). I'm hoping for a November surgery. December would work too, but I'm hoping for November.

I worked out with a trainer yesterday...dang, she kicks my butt....but since she has training and experience with both bariatric patients and patients rehabbing from injuries, I feel like I'm in good hands. Tonight is 45-60 minutes on the recumbent bike followed by a weight loss surgery support group meeting.

I hope you all are doing well.

Much love,
  • Morning all,

Welcome back from vacation Michelle - glad you had a good time and even better that you were able to control the calories and keep the weight stable. Sounds like you found the perfect trainer - I think if you can manage it, working with a trainer will give much better results than on your own, especially when you have a targeted goal like your surgery date. Now back to reality. Hope this vacation infused some positive vibes you can carry with you for a while

Shad - glad to see you posting again and back with us in the world. As for the weather, sounds like things are topsy turvy and you'd better plan for an abundance of whatever you've been getting thusfar - for us it's all sorts of wetness, for Michelle it's more dry and it appears that you are on the wet side of things also. So what did you opt for as far as the haircut goes? Short and chic or pretty much what you feel comfortable in?

Laura - doesn't DST change somewhere around Halloween at the end of October? I noticed the other day/night that the evenings are coming around more quickly. Had to laugh at your comment about the old school uniforms - we had a nice dark green plaid in grade school that I actually liked. Wore it one day with a non uniform sweater in my freshman year and was teased and tormented by my former school mates so off it went to the give away pile. Those uniforms were made to be indestructible. I am always tempted by the catalogs with the fall clothes in them - they seem to be the prettiest to me - hope you find something that works well within your budget and tastes. This is the best time of year to pick up some nice fall jackets - I'm sure you can find some separates that will go with your dress slacks.

Terra - Mom is a tv show that plays after Hot In Cleveland on cable tv - I thought they were the same channel but Mom airs on CBS and Hot in Cleveland is TV land. I guess I got a bit confused when I was talking about them but I thought I taped them together. I love Betty White and Valerie Bertinelli is still so cute.

Ceejay- yay on hitting all those steps! Good job.

Annie - as for dress slacks, I liked JC Penney's Worthington line or Kohls Sag Harbor line - watch for sales like they have now. I used to like the Cathy Daniels line at Kohls but their quality has really gone south - I find that after a couple of washings, the threads and seams come undone. A dilemma for sure - pay $75 for pants that last or $25 for things you have to repair after 2 washes. I actually have become a thrift shop fan since working in the shop - but that all depends on how you feel about wearing something that some stranger wore. We get a lot of really nice stuff in our boutique - smaller sizes of course but well made stuff we sell for 4, 5 and 6 bucks. Just a thought - it's expensive to restock your wardrobe. Take a tip from Shad when travelling - she has a fixed number of pieces in the same color palette that makes for all sorts of mix and match possibilities - not a lot of pieces but many nice outfits. I wish I could help you - I have 2 closets full of dress clothes I can't use anymore - but unfortunately, there's that huge height difference between us

Hi Susie - did your Biggest Loser contest kick off yet?

DH popped his back out yesterday - a seized up muscle that sometimes happens. I told him he can accept it and rest it or push it and make it worse. Hard for him as there is lots to be done. I decided to return the pressure cooker. I have really bad arthritis in my hands (and other parts) but my hands are especially weak. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to properly shut the cooker and I almost didn't have the strength to open it again - a really tight seal which is what you want but it obviously is NOT going to work for me. So I reluctantly took it back to the shop where it sold within an hour of me putting it back on the shelf. Just got a call from the shop - the cash register is not working so I helped the coordinator find what I hope is a repair place in a neighboring town. Not sure if yesterday's volunteers did an oops - but I suspect they might have and just played dumb about it. Looks like there will be a series of calls back and forth so I'm just going to post for now. I hope this gets settled soon - I have a yoga class this afternoon. Anyway - be good.
  • Not much going on right now. Steps were almost nil yesterday but I did ride the bike for 20 minutes last night.
    Waiting on the boss to come back to the lab. I'm a half a pound off on the fluoride and need the day sheets that I've turned in to find it. It's probably a typo.
    My name was pulled out of the pot this morning for a random drug test. When I got there 2 of my co-workers were there also. I'm going for my insurance physical in the morning to get that over with.

Michelle
    It does sound like you have a good trainer. By the way welcome back.

Happy
    I've noticed that the day's are getting shorter. I'm not liking it but what can one do but accept it and go on. Poor DH. Those pressure cookers are heavy. But I was hoping to find out whether you like it or not.

Shad
    See you are back with working in the lawn. Don't over do it.

Laura, Susie, and Terra
  • Laura - DST ends on Sunday, November 2 (so we set our clocks back on Saturday night). I've noticed it starts getting dark here by 7:15-7:30, which really cuts into the dog park time. We used to be able to stay there until nearly 8:30. I agree Eddie Bauer clothes and products are well made. A bit pricier, but since they last they are a good investment. I never did get to my squat, plank or pushup challenge while on vacation, but I plan to start them in the next few days.

Happy - Regarding fall clothes, I'll be purchasing most of my clothes at thrift stores. Maybe I'll give you a shopping list and you can pick some out for me if your shop has a good selection. Bummer that you said that the sizes are mostly small-ish, but I'll get down there eventually. I did get very lucky. My good friend in Oregon who lost roughly 80 lbs with weight loss surgery gave me a gorgeous jacket. It's sort of a paisley/tapestry design and has many colors in it. It would be beautiful with a pair of black or navy slacks and a top that matches one of the colors in the jacket. So sorry that your DH hurt his back. I hope the rain eases up. I can't believe you're already getting freeze warnings.

Annie - bummer that I can't help you with clothes either...but since you're so much taller and thinner than I am, I just don't have anything that would work for you. I hope the new job is going well. Did you get your computer yet? I'm so glad your boss and co-workers are nice! Congrats on the huge cubical! So nice! And such a short commute! You gotta love that! Awesome that you get lots of holiday/vacation time! do you have to be there a year to start using it? I appreciated your birthday call and text. You're right...I look back at that horrible time 2 years ago, and it seems like a lifetime ago. I'm much happier now. Definitely take advantage of your boss' personal training. Dang, I wish I could get the training and motivation for free. That'll get you back in size 8's for sure!

Shad - Here's hoping your area and my area both get rain, in gradual, manageable amounts spread over the course of several months. Not sure what a fuzzy wuzzy angel looks like, but I hope your haircut was an improvement. I should probably get my hair colored before I leave for the family reunion Friday morning...but it's coming down to a choice between hair versus support group tonight or gym followed by dog park tomorrow. So I'll be attending the reunion sporting my gorgeous dark roots!

Terra - Good for you on cutting back on soda. I used to only drink diet soda, but with the weight loss surgery, they encourage pre-op patients to slowly ween off the things we can't have after surgery. We can't have any carbonated drinks, no caffeine, very little starches and very little to no sugar or fat (foods with a lot of sugar and/or fat will cause me to get very ill after surgery). I'm glad you're able to walk despite your foot pain. When I lived in Wisconsin there was a product in the lotion aisle called "No Crack". It could be found at Walgreens, WalMart, Rite Aid, etc. It was designed for calloused and cracked feet and worked well. I hope you're having a great time at the zoo today!!

Susie - Your HappyFit challenge sounds great! Congrats on your fabulous weight loss!! That's fantastic!! I hope you enjoyed KI.

Ceejay - Glad you had a nice visit with your friend. It is hard to live with others. Inevitably we do things that get on each others' nerves. And it's hard to care for other people's kids.

Well, gotta get back to the mountain of work.

Much love,
  • Afternoon all.*

Shad – I hope you get the rain you need.* How did your hair appointment go?* I have one tonight.*

Michelle – Wow, great job keeping the eating under control during your vacation!!* What a great feeling that is –it was the same for me after my cruise.* *Smart plan to shop the thrift stores for clothes while you’re going through your weight loss journey.* You’ll save a lot of money.*

Happy – It does seem like it’ll be awfully dark well before DST ends on Nov. 2.* Huh.* I’ll have to play it by ear as far as riding the bike to/from the train station.* It gets dangerous riding when it’s dark – cars can’t see you, and I can’t see the leaf piles people leave at the curb!* LOL re trying to wear the school uniform as “regular clothing”.* Sort of like wearing a bridesmaid dress after the wedding?? * Your suggestion about buying clothes from the thrift store is a good one – but you’re right – only if you feel okay with wearing secondhand stuff.* I don’t have a problem with it – I really only shop at one thrift shop and everything seems very clean, and of course anything that’s purchased gets washed/cleaned.* Even the books I purchase get wiped down!* Your poor DH – I hope he relaxes and lets his back heal.* Too bad about the pressure cooker.** Better safe than sorry though.* Hope you get the cash register up and running again!

Ceejay – Good for riding the bike last night.* I think I got over 7,000 steps yesterday, but I totally forgot to wear my pedometer*today*so I can’t check yesterday, and of course I won’t capture any steps today.* Would have been low anyway because I didn’t get out at lunchtime at all.* Good for you to get that physical exam done tomorrow*and get that extra floating holiday!!

Michelle – Smart plan to shop the thrift stores for clothes while you’re going through your weight loss journey.* You’ll save a lot of money.*

Hellos to Susie, Annie & Terra!

--

Nothing much to report on my end.* I didn’t do any exercise last night.* This morning I managed 15 pushups.* As I mentioned to Ceejay, I forgot my pedometertoday, so no tracking on steps.*

Tonight’s a hair appointment, but I’ll still have to squeeze in my squat challenge to stay on schedule.* I’m going to a conference*tomorrow, so I also have to make sure I get my outfit set.* (I’ll keep the blazer/pants I bought and wear that.) The conference is all day*tomorrow*and a half day on Friday.* I’m not as concerned about what I wear for the half day Friday…maybe the new casual blazer I also bought from EB.* *

I have to remember to bring my laptop home from work*tonight because I’ll work from home Friday afternoon after the conference ends.* The conference isn’t far from home (under 10 miles), so it’s convenient for me.* FYI - I probably won’t be posting*tomorrow.

Okay, back to work.
  • Laura - I don't have a problem wearing secondhand clothes...but I might draw the line at under garments, and just go to Target or Kohl's for bras and panties. It is already so dark here by the time I get home from the dog park that I have a hard time seeing kids skateboarding or playing in the streets. They wear dark clothes and with the lights from oncoming headlights I just see flashes of silhouettes - I can see them for a second and then when they move and aren't illuminated any more, I can't see them. Very scary. Good on ya' for the pushups. I did not have much control on my eating while on vacation. I tried to make fairly good choices, but I did indulge in a lot of sweet treats (mostly ice cream). And today, I had a major emotional eating lapse of control...and I purchased and ate a bag of cookies from the vending machine.
  • Hello Ladies of the Worldlie type!!

Well....still no computer...I mean how long does it take to image??? They ordered it two or three weeks before I started and it has almost been two full working weeks without a computer. Thank God for another department that needed help. It is very hard to entertain myself with nothing to entertain with at this point. Hopefully it will come tomorrow or Friday. My boss will be out tomorrow so I can use his laptop tomorrow all day. At least I might get all my compliance crap done. Oh boy!!

LAURA...how did your hair apt go? Good turn out. I get my hair cut tomorrow night. I LOVE going to the hair salon....I used to let my kids mess with my hair all the time. Brush, comb. barrettes, ribbons, clips, bobbit pins, rubber bands, you name it. I looked mostly like a clown but loved my hair being messed with by my kiddos.

SHADDIE...so I timed my drive and miles. 10 miles from home and a 20-25 minute drive depending on the green or red lights. Tonight was a 20 minute drive. Of course, I changed my hours to 7:30 to 4:00 so I get a better head start on the way there and back.

CHELLE...nope no computer yet. Like I said earlier, just entertaining myself. lol. I am not very exciting to be entertaining myself. lol My holiday and vacay time starts NOW....the only thing that is on delay is my health insurance that starts NOV 1st. SO HAPPY YOU ARE IN A GOOD PLACE IN YOUR LIFE> Makes me rest easy about you, my sister friend.

CEEG...even tho you did not get your steps in, at least you rode your bike. Sometimes companies test the same people over and over again on the random thing just because they know there are no discrepancies. My kiddos used to get chosen almost every month in HS for "random" testing cause they knew they were clean and no action would take place. It is mostly BS.

HAPPY....I like the JCP and Kohls lines you mentioned. I am looking for REAL bargins. Being unemployed and not a check til 9/26 I have to really look for great bargains...UNFORTUNATELY, I have no patience to look through the goodwill or thrift stores...it reminds me of garage sales which I do not do either. I am just too impatient and want to move quickly and we both know you have to SEARCH through things. Maybe I could wear your dress slacks as Capries...hahahahahha...LMAO,,,altho it might work.

Will post this so I can go back and see what is up with the rest of ya's.

Hugs
  • Back again...

TERRA....well even if you missed a walk you got the rest of them in That is the important thing. I am good at motivating and giving advice, but me exercise, all on here know I hate it and do little or none at all...So I admire you for walking and getting it all in.

SUSIE....well ok, next year, WE will go on those rides that you were not comfortable with, of course we will. Glad you had a good time. OMG...tires AND struts, what an expensive ordeal. Shuuuuweee, more OT please, got bills.

Well I have to tell you that my hubby that actually got a Wednesday off, has a cold and sinus issue going on, had the dishwasher emptied, the last load of laundry done, folded, put away and the bed made when I got home. I am so blessed with an awesome hubby, man and companion. Lord, thank you for prayers answered. HAPPY WOMAN.

That is about it for me, have a remarkable Thursday/night.

Love and hugs