Steel Magnolias #57

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Good Morning, Flowers! I am back on the laptop because the computer guy downloaded the new virus program from his office and now I can't go anywhere on the pc. It's promising to be another hot 90+ degree day in my corner of the world. I know the electric bill will be a big one next time! I thought I had posted yesterday but see I didn't. It was my coffee date in the afternoon and don't even remember what I did in the morning. It couldn't have been too exciting.

"Gma" -- I hope your slacks arrive today. I don't use a pattern for the afghan; I just measure the bed and/or guesstimate for the person that I'm making it for. I don't blame Jack for wanting to keep the same hours year around. We have the same controversy every fall when the bell choir director wants to vote for playing part of the time at second service. Those of us who go to first, vote no, and mainly because we don't like sharing the space with the dog and pony show as well as the time element. If we play second service we usually leave as soon as we play. That leaves a few less ringers, and men, to help put the stuff away. Last year we played all first services and the second service ringers were in a snit.

Susan -- I always thought the stomach was in the middle too. As long as there is a breeze (wind) the heat isn't too bad. They also only last an hour, I don't think I could sit through a "normal" timed football game since I don't like football in the first place. I should look for a "Football for Dummies" and maybe I could follow the plays better. We also sit in lawn chairs so it would be easier to keep track of Ian from bleachers. Have fun this afternoon!

I need to call my computer guy so need to get that done. Have a wonderful Wednesday!
  • Humpday
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is currently in the high 80°s and expected to get into the high 90°s before this day has gone away. The good thing is that the wind isn’t blowing ~ just a nice breeze. My sourdough starter was ready yesterday and I made a delicious round loaf last evening to eat with some spaghetti and meatballs.

We have been out and about this lovely hump~day and checked on the buffalo. Those babies are getting quite independent now and I imagine the little male one will bring the owner a good price when he sells it. The bull is quite a big beautiful one and hopefully his son will take after him.

I hope none of you caught the virus that Facebook has for 800,000 so far have been infected. Another reason I don't go there for those mean folks like to target those types of places.

I received the neatest nut catalogue today and am thinking of ordering some 4 oz bags of snack mix which has all nuts in them toasted and not salted. There are also non salted chunks of dried fruits in them. I love the fact that they are toasted and not salted. They sell them in 4 ounce packets and 6 ounce packets or by the pound. There are also lots of other luscious items in this catalogue which I am staying away from.

DONNA FAYE Indigo Wilds ZumBar soap may sound expensive but a bar lasts a very long time and makes it not so expensive plus it is so much better for one. I feel I am worth it. There are so many nice fragrances to choose from. The citrus scented bars are absolutely divine. The bars make lovely gifts and I do stay away from the ones that I am allergic to ~ like eucalyptus. I am glad that my hair dresser carries the line for I can smell before I buy and I buy where it is the less do re me.

SUSAN Thanks for the hint on how to do that but since it didn't cost anything I let my teckie do it for me and while he is remotely in my computer he also checks it so it is running properly.

JEAN I certainly hope your teckie gets your computer healthy once again. I wonder if he did catch that Facebook virus and passed it along.

Have a great day Magnolias.
  • Good morning ladies. It is going to be hot as the today again. That is just summer in Memphis I guess.

Boy I made a mess of things and had to fix it yesterday. We live on a budget and I screwed up and changed my food budget the first payday in Sept from $300 to $100 (that is for two weeks) It was trickle down effect messing with everything else so I had to work on it and fix the darn thing then go back and work on vacation money too. On top of that, I would add our "cash" money for vacation, subtract our credit card allowable amount (this is for the cruise ship, which requires a credit card to charge anything purchased on the ship from drinks to food to gifts, etc. ) but I forgot to add that amount into our total vacation budget so I kept coming up short on how much money we had to spend on vacation. We only use our bank card for the hotels, food and gas. We take cash money for excursions and shopping off the ship so no one can steal our money or identity from our bank card. As I said, we only use the credit card for purchases on the ship as that is what they require and I come back home and pay it back off so we don't get charged the interest. I was so afraid Jack was going to be mad, and I contacted him by text and explained we were going to have to go cheap hotels as I screwed up. He read them, but never answered back so I was sure he was peeved with me. I then discovered why stuff wasn't adding up correctly, breathed a sigh of relief but was really upset he was mad at me. Well, he wasn't. He read the texts but was on a job and couldn't answer me back for a couple hours. Bottom line, we went back through it all last night, decided to advance pay hotels at this stage of the game because if something happens now that we can't go, we lose all the money, cruise, drink packages, excursions the whole nine yards so I told him why worry about it. I saved us nearly $300 doing an advance pay on a senior rate and changed 3 of the hotels to a better situation. I now have hotels that all offer either free hot breakfast buffet or cooked to order free breakfast and all are suites so even though it is just one night, we have more room. Big today!

I got my little pig for my bracelet, but no pants!!!! I am so mad at them as it has been 10 days since she said it had already been shipped and even first class gets here before 10 days so what is going on??

Today is clean the kitchen day yippeee! I have my sweater drying and being blocked and my hands need another knitting project so think I will try and get that scarf done. I also have a pair of socks for myself on needles that have just been sitting waiting for me to finish them.

Jean: Years ago we used to go with my sister and bil to my nephew's high school football games when we lived in Indiana. Man you could freeze your bum off at some of them. I remember a particularly harsh one where it was sleeting and about 20 degrees with a windchil below zero. No amount of clothing, blankets, hot chocolate warmed you up. I finally gave up and went and sat in the car. We were sitting on the side where the wind was at your face and we were getting the stinging icy sleet right in the face. I am not a football fan either, but Jack loves college football and wants to go to a Boise State game sometime when they are playing some school near enough for us to drive to it. We shall see. I don't do bleachers anymore so would have to buy one of those seat cushions with a back to it if I would go. Of course college games more than likely have individual seats like baseball, etc.

Maggie: Glad you got your printer situation fixed. I could have told you how to make it your default, but figured the guy had probably done it for you already. I would think you would save money getting the soap from your hair dresser. There are other soaps hand milled and such just as expensive and if you like the ones you buy that is great. Jack tells me I am a cheapskate. Guess it comes from all those years of not having enough money to go around so the habit dies hard.

You all have a great Thursday. I am going jewelry shopping online this morning. Faye
  • God morning, ladies! 76 degrees and climbing but the sun is out.

Sandy and I are going to Olive Garden for dinner (I get the apricot chicken with broccoli and asparagus, no pasta and no breadsticks) and then to see The Butler.

Nothing much planned for the weekend, but that is always subject to change. LOL

Faye, I hope you get your pants! Don't you get trip insurance for your cruises? I always get it for my boss when I book one for him but I don't get it from the cruise company. I get it independent insurer much cheaper. Do you have Windows 8? It's a lot different than previous versions of Windows and doesn't have the same tabs or Control Panel and no start menu.

Jean, I use Microsoft Security Essentials, it updates every morning when I turn the computer on, and I never get viruses. The Facebook virus is one that has been around for 6 years and you do not get it just logging into facebook. You have to click and go to another malicious site from the facebook page. Since it's been around so long, most antivirus programs recognize it and block it immediately.

Maggie, I'll be having a buffalo burger over the weekend. I got 4 at Kroger yesterday. They are delicious. I'd love to see the babies.

Have a wonderful day!
  • Titilating Thursday

SUSAN I love buffalo burgers and will see if our Kroger’s here has it. The first time I ever had one was in Montana at a place called Calamity Jane’s in a small town we lived in. The owners of that place had us over for a holiday turkey dinner and had wrapped the turkey in the carcass of a goose which made that turkey meat so moist and yummy. I am so glad my teckie installed that "start menu" on my 8 for me. They say that it will be available in a download soon.

Of all things ~ my printer has gone bonkers. I wanted to print something and it printed just the top edge of it 6 times a few hours later. When it didn’t print instantly like it should I gave up waiting and sent it to Will’s printer in the next room. . I had told it to only print “one” copy. ONE. Now ~ this morning my printer spit out 3 copies of that page. Something is definitely wrong with it and now Will has gone printer shopping. I may have a new printer to install when he gets home from his volunteer job at the museum this day. I sure hope my new one will take the same kind of ink cartridges because I just installed new ones a bit ago and they are spendy.

DONNA FAYE I didn't realize you had Windows 8. If you don't yet have windows 8 then you are in for a big surprise when you do get it. Things are so different. Planning a cruise sounds like a chore to me. But in reality it isn't so much different than planning a cross country treck except on a cruise you have to pay for so much more up front. Hope you have as much fun this time as you did last cruise. I imagine you have learned a lot from that last one.

• Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another hot humid day although not quite as hot as the last few days. I went to church to help with the monthly newsletter this morning. It seems like they come around faster every month. This afternoon I need to take library books back and pick out some new ones. The last few times it seems I pick books that I've already read and don't realize it until I'm part way through the book. Also need to put together a grocery list for food this weekend. All the grandkids have games on Labor Day so the cabin weekend will be short this year. I called to check on Momma cat and she is adjusting to her new home just fine. I was sure she would and I'm so glad! They kept her in their bathroom for the first few days and then left the door open so the rest of the menagerie could visit. She is tiny and still a bit timid but will jump up on the bed and sit with the gal as she reads at night.

Maggie -- I figured out what the problem was before the computer whiz could get back to me. Microsoft was trying to update while the virus program was downloading. It fixed itself! I had to chuckle at your printer doing its own thing.

"Gma" -- Don't feel bad; I've done the checkbook snafu more than once in my lifetime. When we were first married we did cash in envelopes to be sure we had enough to pay the rent and car payment on the first. One was $70 and one was $90; I worried a lot in the first couple of years! I'm glad you got your pig and hope your pants show up soon. Jason started playing football in 5th grade; back then it was "flag" football, no helmets nor shoulder pads. He played all through junior high and high school so we sat through rain, sleet, snow, wind, etc., just like a mailman. He had planned to play college ball but took a cheap shot to his upper thigh. The orthopedic doctor told him it was his decision but he'd recommend quitting, because of his hip history, so Jason did. He was one of the big guys, in size, in high school but one of the smaller ones in college. I was glad when he quit!

Susan -- The only virus I've ever had was from McAfee on my first Gateway computer. This time the guy couldn't find anything wrong and dumped a bunch of stuff I didn't need and some malware (?). Let us know how you like the movie. I'm thinking I would like to see it but not sure if I can talk Bob into going. I admire you for passing up the pasta and bread sticks at OG. It's a good thing we don't have one of those here. We are getting a new McD's though. There is another Mexican restaurant getting ready to open and someone set fire to it the other night. Our school district is 82% nonwhite according to the registration information.

I'm off to the library! Enjoy the rest of your day!
  • Good morning to you gals. Another hot one here today. I am sure Jack wants the day over so he has a 3 day weekend. We are getting together with Kelly, Tom and Thomas tomorrow morning for breakfast at my favorite cafe. I am splurging as they have cinnamon stuffed french toast, nutella and fresh strawberries! I will run around Walmart to work it off!

My pants are still too big, but I don't have time to mess with them again so I think I will keep them and have them altered. The next size down I just think won't fit my hip size. I am still waiting for my sweater to dry in blocking mode. To make sure the front and back match, I always pin them together and then pin them down and so it is double thickness and they aren't quite dry so will leave them over the weekend. I really worry about it being too big too! You gals had much more confidence in my losing weight than I did I guess because you kept telling me stuff was going to be too big. I guess when you are my size you don't wrap your brain around your body being smaller with a 50 lb loss.

Susan: I am a noodlehead because I didn't think about Maggie having a new computer. No, I have windows XP on my computer. No we don't buy the vacation insurance. I have McAfee, but I also use the defender I have on my computer, which seems to work fine and a malware program.
    Hope you find something interesting to do this weekend. We have haircut for Jack, some stuff to get at Walmarts and Krogers that commissary doesn't have and drop off his tux, a suite, tuxedo shirts and dress shirts at the cleaners for the cruise tonight. We have breakfast with the kids tomorrow then commissary on Sunday. No plans for Labor Day. So nothing exciting just mundane stuff except seeing the kids.

Jean: I have done the library book thing more times than I care to remember. It is better getting the stuff on my Kindle or Iphone as I can just wipe it out if I find I have read it already. I have a huge amount of books on my kindle/iphone, most are free and from that book place you and Susan told me about. I am reading the last in a series right now that little by little got them free. I don't do romance anymore. I like mysteries and thrillers, humor if is is about senior citizens, that kind of stuff. I don't read to improve myself, just for enjoyment. Oh, I am so glad the cat is adapting well. That's great

Maggie: Like I said to Susan, I forgot you had a new computer so you had windows 8. Jack and I really enjoy the planning of our vacation too. We are sort of like kids and I think it is because until just a few years ago, we never got to take vacations. The only time we got to leave home was transferring in the Navy or going to see relatives at holidays. We didn't have the money for vacations.

Well girls, it is almost 9 so I need to get going. You all have a fabulous weekend. Faye
  • Good afternoon, ladies! A lovely day and 79 degrees.

The movie was not what I was expecting. And it was hardly about the real butler. Instead, they used the movie as a vehicle for what the blacks went through in with the civil rights movement and riots. When I got home, I looked it up on the internet and the real butler had one son who was not involved in the movement or and in the movie he had 2, one who was a black panther and later got elected to congress from TN and one who was killed in the Vietnam war. In the movie, the man was raised in GA working for whites who murdered his father and raped his mother and made her crazy. In real like, he lived his early life on a Virginia plantation. The real butler was married to his wife for 64 years. If I had read the bio first, I'd not have gone to the movie.

Tomorrow I'm going to help my friend pack up her sewing room. The movers are coming on Thursday so she is running out of time.

Faye, around here it costs more to get pants altered than you can buy a new pair. Fortunately I made all my clothes when I was so big because the only place you could get them was Lane Bryant and I couldn't afford them so I can alter my stuff.

Jean, a quiet Labor Day! I'm sure you'll miss the kids.

Maggie, I hope your printer issues are resolved.

Have a wonderful day.
  • Sunny Saturday

The baby buffalo are getting huge and so the male papa is leaving them alone and he can stay in the pen with them. Today they were all lazing around their pond chewing their cud.

I have been out and picking up trash outside our fence that the wind deposited. This still day is best to do that for it isn’t blowing the small particles of paper around. Next is to get it picked up in the back yard but I am in here now cooling off. I filled up a grocery bag and now there is probably a grocery bag in the back yard. We have to do this periodically for the wind brings it to us. Good exercise for me. I don’t like doing it in this heat but it has to be done. I do what I can am able to for Will certainly does the most out there.

Will’s birthday is the first of September so I went to the gun shop awhile ago and picked him up a hand gun he has been wanting. He does re-in-acting and period stuff is important to have. He will be so thrilled. For my birthday I want a bow and arrow set with wrist guard and a nice target back stop set up for the back yard. When we go hunting I want to get my deer or moose with an arrow to the heart and need some practice. When I had the set up before I was a rather on target shooter and will get that back with a bit of practice. Tomorrow is the opening day for dove season.

DONNA FAYE It is nice that you and Jack are having fun planning vacations now that you can afford them for you are making good memories and having fun. Wish I lived closer for I could alter your pants in a jiffy for you and not charge you. I am so thankful that I am shrinking all over so that a size will fit for me. I remember when I was smaller my size was well balanced and it still is. I just gained weight all over and now that I am shrinking it is coming off all over except for my upper arms. Guess I will always have extra weight there unless I have it removed but I doubt if I do that.

SUSAN So the movie was fiction and not fact and slanted to one direction. Too bad. I won't be seeing that one for sure. Have you noticed that Tabasco Sauce comes in so many flavors now. The new ones out are Tabasco + BBQ sauce, Tabasco + honey & Tabasco + Butter. I have a 50 cent of coupon that I will use on one of the new flavors.

JEAN How nice you figured out your own problem with your computer. The office supply store has located a refurbished printer just like the one that I have and it is a whole lot cheaper than a new one so I am going to buy it when they get it in. I have had this one for several years and have really not had any problems with it before this type of episode lately it has exhibited. It is so nice that Momma cat likes her new home. It is hot and humid here this day also. I can take the heat much better when the humidity is a lot lower though.

• Good morning to you all. Never did get in here yesterday. We had breakfast with the kids then ran errands all morning, came home and I did two loads of laundry and some work around the house and forgot about posting.

We were kind of catching up on gifts when at breakfast. I gave Tom his card and gift card and Kelly gave her dad what she said was his bday present from last year. This was the coolest thing she could have bought him. I posted these on FB so you might have seen them. This company takes baseballs used in Chicago Cubs games, cuts them up and makes baseball cufflinks out of them. This pair was from a game agains the NY Mets. Jack loves them and plans on wearing them on the cruise with his tux.

We went to Fresh Market and I got some really nice fruit and a couple other things, then onto Walmart and we got a couple things and I bought these cute knitted open weave sweaters to wear in the evenings on the ship. Next was Krogers to get the lowfat ice cream Jack likes, a couple things of mashed potatoes and a couple slices of ham and then home. It was really hot yesterday and it is supposed to be 105 heat index today so we want to get to the commissary and get back home and get stuff unloaded and put away before it gets really hot. Tomorrow we are going to take our filthy Mariner and get it washed as long as it doesn't rain like it is predicting.

Susan: I am saddened by the fact they have to twist true stories like they do when making movies from books. Frankly, I have yet to see anything Oprah is involved with that doesn't have racist tones to it. I refused to see the movie because I was afraid what you said about it was exactly what it was. Obviously, the wonderful story of thebutler got lost in other garbage that wasn't even true. I am sick and tired of people not letting go of garbage that happened decades ago just so they can use it to make others look bad. With the prices of movies even with the senior discount, you have to really want to see a movie anymore. We pay $7.50 for senior discount matinee movies and then you spend $$ if you buy soft drinks or popcorn or whatever snacks you want. You can't spend $40 in a heart beat. It is highly doubtful a black man then or now is going to elected to Congress in Tennessee as except for Memphis, the whole state is extremely conservative Republican.

Maggie: I have to decide what I would like for my bday. It is always hard for me because I have everything I want in life pretty much. I turn 60 this month, which doesn't bother me much but I really can't think of what I would like. Jack and I aren't buying each other bday presents, our cruise is our bday presents. I have spent enough on shoes, clothing, jewelry etc for three birthdays this year!

Everyone have a beautiful day today!! Faye

• Good morning, ladies! 80 degrees, heading for low 90s and scattered showers for today.

I helped Sandy pack up her quilting stuff yesterday. We worked 12 hours and took about and hour off during that time to get salads from Wendy's. I always get the half-size chicken blt cobb. We packed 74 boxes and there's about another 25 to go. We didn't take anything out of drawers as the movers said to leave it. She really needs to get rid of half of the stuff but she'll just keep adding to it. I'm going to really weed my stuff out over the winter this year. I'd hate for anyone to come in here and pack what I have that I don't use or will never use. She had to go to work today so I'm doing housework. I'll go back on Wednesday to help her finish that and the movers will be there on Thursday to pack up the rest of the house and get it moved.

Faye, we pay $7.50 for senior all day here and I don't buy anything to eat in the movie. I don't go often so I'm really bummed when the movie isn't good. We went at 7 pm and there were only 4 other people in the theatre besides the 2 of us. I'll bet none of us would have been there if we knew what it was really about. Faye, I'll be 72 next month and I feel better now than I did in my early 60s. Life just gets better and better. Unfortunately with the price of everything outstripping SS raises, I get poorer and poorer in the pocketbook.

Maggie, I'll be looking for the new tobacco sauces when I go to the store again. They sound good. I know Will loves his bday gift!

Hi, Jean!

Have a wonderful Sunday!
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood! The heat wave broke Friday night and it's a cool 72 degrees and sunny as I type. The weather yesterday, at the lake, was perfect! It was the first time we had been there all summer with no wind blowing. The kids played in the water with the neighbors' dogs and then on an inflatable torpedo, went out in the boat a couple times and tried to ski, played in the sand, and had a wonderful day. They were heading for the showers and bed when we left. The adults spent most of the time sitting outside and visiting which was a nice change from sitting inside the cabin. We didn't leave until after dark which is rare for us. It's hard to believe it is September 1st today!

"Gma" -- I'm glad you enjoyed your breakfast with Kelly and family. The cuff links are sure a unique idea! I'm sure Jack will enjoy wearing them. I'm sorry your pants are still too big, but so glad for you to be smaller. I am sending cooler weather your way!

Susan -- I read a review in the newspaper about the movie so knew it wasn't exactly the same historically. I like Oprah so thought maybe it would be a good one although I didn't think Bob would enjoy it as much. Wow! I can't begin to imagine how much sewing stuff Sandy must have! You are a good friend to help her pack. Will she be moving closer to you?

Maggie -- to Will! I hope he enjoys his new gun. You don't shoot doves, do you? We have several pairs who feed on our deck. There were storms predicted last night and Bob stayed up late to watch the radar on tv; he said it split just to the west of us so the rain went around. The rain gauge said we got .03 which is better than nothing I guess. We did get enough wind to blow leaves off the trees. I hope you have your new printer soon.

I have laundry going and need to put my lake dishes away. At least I brought them home clean. Hope you all enjoy your day and the long weekend!
  • Good morning ladies. We're in for the 90s and thunderstorms today. Seems like every holiday weekend it rains.

I'm having a quiet day today. I need to go to the grocery store or I won't have treats for Casper and lunch for me to take to work tomorrow. I hate shopping!

Jean, a bed quit for a queen size bed will take 20-24 yards of fabric and 28 yards for a king size. We buy lots of fabric and Sandy often buys it by the bolt. Then we have all kinds of stuff for other crafts, batting, books, patterns, notions. I have plastic containers that have fabric, pattern, thread, and notions for a quilt in so that when the spirit moves me to start something else, I'll have it ready. It goes on and on. Then we die and our heirs sell the stuff for 25 cents or take it to the dump!

Hi, Maggie and Faye!

Off to the grocery store before it rains!
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's beautiful sunny COOL day in my corner of the world. It was 51 degrees when I went downstairs this morning. Too chilly for the deck doors to be open and Sonny voiced his opinion; he likes to talk to the birds and squirrels. We are off to Sioux Falls after lunch for Ian's football game. Tonight the game is at 6 so will be later than last week coming home. Tomorrow night is soccer in Sioux City.

Susan -- We used to have hot air balloons come for Labor Day weekend and it was always too windy or rained for them to go up. They might get one flight out of six. It was a big deal with close to 75 balloons coming, a parade, a evening "glow" where they would all light up but stay on the ground, ending with a dance and picnic put on by the local merchants. When they quit the official celebration we've had fairly good weather over the LD weekends. Doesn't pay to second guess the weather guru! Wish you could share your rain with us!

I have laundry to do also so guess I will get a load or two done before we leave. Enjoy your day whatever you are doing!
  • Moody Monday

Today is the opening of a new museum in a distant town and Will has gone to give a presentation there. He and the director here are going and I opted to stay home and let them go and do their “thing.” My eyes are itching so much today from what the wind brings that I put some eye itch relief drops in them to settle them down. They itch so bad I just want to rub and rub them and rub them some more. I won’t be reading a book today.

Last evening after services at church we were going out with some folks who wanted to help Will celebrate his birthday. When we drove by the front of our house on the way we saw a sign on the front yard announcing Will’s birthday and the front porch was festooned with balloons and streamers. When Will looked in the bag that held the present he started laughing and knew who it was that decorated our porch. It was a set of kids holsters and toy guns. The man that I had baked that loaf of bread for was the one that did that. For his birthday awhile back Will had given him a cute little rifle that is a BBQ lighter that he had made a nice western leather looking scabbard with fringe on it and it now has a prominent place in his office on the wall for he liked it a lot. The “rifle” lighter is about a foot and half long and when you pull the trigger the flame comes out the barrel to light your bricketts.

Sometimes I wish I had a genie in a bottle that could grant me a wish and I could be instantly thin. Ah but it isn’t to be for in the real world I have to work at it to rid myself of this fat. It is such a chore. I do things that will help me for I have made good habits and remind myself of my progress. I scraped most of the gooey frosting off Will’s birthday sheet cake and froze it in small squares so he can have it with some ice cream at a later date. I wrapped them up and now they are in the freezer. One of the gals at the museum sent him home with a large pan of brownies that I am going to wrap individually and get them in the freezer today.

JEAN I love to watch those hot air balloons and have never had the chance to go up in one. There are so many pretty imaginative ones. Too bad they had to stop coming to your area.

SUSAN I once had a quilter friend in Texas that did that same thing and had many "quilt kits" in her closet and had made many gorgeous ones through the years. I loved to see her creations.

DONNA FAYE How are you this day? Buzzy with vacation "stuff"?