Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #16  

Good morning gals. It looks like we are going to have a sweltering summer as the temps continue to be in the 90's. I have Jack keeping an eye on Florida to see what kind of temps they are having as I would prefer not to have the almost 100 degree temps we had last year. One good thing is weight loss and short help will help and Jack wants me to buy one of those little fan/misters to take with me.

Today is clean the kitchen day so will get to that in a little while. It sure makes a difference when you feel good getting your chores done and all. I just hope that maybe this female stuff is finally over for good. I can only hope.

Jean: I make up my own recipes, but have looked online at homemade dog food and try to keep it the same quantities. He needs protein, but also needs veggies and I throw in a bit of carbs with the potatoes. I think it is funny how much he likes beets. I switch out carrots for the beets but that's about it as I use canned veggies as they mush up the best and green beans are hard to mush and he hates peas. He will take the peas out and carry them onto the rug and drop them. I have little green nuggets all over the carpets if I give him peas. He is just like a kid. He will eat broccoli and cauliflower, but beets are his favorite. Poor Barney, I imagine that was a surprise for him. Did you get anything good at Kohls? I like Kohls too, but again not for their clothing. I buy towels from them and at Penneys to every time I get new ones. It is about time to buy new towels, probably after the first of the year white sale.

Guess I should get hoppin' with chores and get some breakfast. Have a great middle of the week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #17  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

Yipekio I got my computer all gutted then filled it back up with good stuff. I am learning my way around Windows 8 and I bought the book for "dummies" which should be of some help. I chose to gut it of all that stuff that was put on it after it left the factory. Even all the programs I had loaded on it had to come off and I had to start all over. The teck said that a lot of that has been happening lately and they have the customers to set their computers back like they were when they left the factory. It took 3 hours to clean it all out. It really wouldn't have done any good to take it back to where we bought it for we may have gotten a worse one. I don't have to yell at it now. I can now wean myself away from my former lap top for I have downloaded most of my things onto thumb drives. I used to know a lot about computers and some if it is coming back that was useful in this episode. But it was sure nice of those teckies to help me though this. We laughed a lot which was a good thing. I had another conversation with a stranger that was fun for we talked for 45 minutes on the phone. I had called to order some charms and was told by the owner of the place that they no longer took phone orders and I could order on line. He did answer some of my questions about the charms and then we got off onto other topics and had a great time of it. I told Will if that man lived closer to us we could all be great friends.

DONNA FAYE Those fan misters look like they would be great to help keep cool with. I have to get out there and tackle the kitchen here also. I let things get out of hand with dealing with all my computer woes. But during those woes we still went out for our drive about the country and visited the buffalo. Still just the two little ones. Those other buffalo sure look PG though so maybe it will be soon.

JEAN I think all the glitches in this computer have been dealt with. None of the irritating things are happening like before so we must have gotten rid of them. I didn't want to take it back for who knows what the next one would have on it. Besides, it would have had to be sent back to the company that made it for the store wouldn't take it back. They would have gutted it like I ended up having to do and then send it back to me.

Have a great day Magnolias
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #18  

Another sunny morning in MN. I offered to make a cabbage salad for the main meal today, only to find out "we" left the cabbage home. There is so much stuff in the fridge I really had to dig to look for it. Hence a trip to the store because I already had part of the fixings done.

"Gma" -- Fortune would get along with Bob as Bob doesn't like peas either. I did find Amanda jeans at Kohls. I should try them on to be sure they fit although they are the same size I just bought earlier this summer. It's hard to find short. The hospital valet at the hospital also farms. When not parking cars he surfs on his iPad and says the weather pattern is supposed to follow 1947, hot and dry starting in July.

Maggie -- Glad you have your computer set up the way you want it. It would be interesting to know who loaded the extras on it. Not nice! Also what might happen to them if found out.

I'm heading outside to sit with the other gals. I have a fish story but will share when I can type it on the pc. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #19  

Good afternoon, ladies. We've had rain every day this week and more to come. Only 73 degrees right now.

I have applique bee at the library tonight so that will be fun.

I got a letter from my insurance company saying my doctor will no longer be accepting Medicare as a form of payment so I need to find a new doctor or be prepared to pay out of pocket. In February I was assured that they would continue with their current Medicare patients. I think the easiest way for me to find a new doctor will be to go to the hospital medical group directory and make an appointment and they will assign me to the doctor who takes my insurance. The hospital does all the billing for the doctors and they will take any form of payment. I think they won't be cutting off Medicare! I made an appoint with my current doctor to get prescriptions for all my meds so I have some time to find a new one.

I have to check in with the research group this afternoon. This is just to get weighed, measured, BP, EKG, blood work and PFT. A short one.

Checking the clock, I need to get on the road. I'll do personals later.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #20  

Quick post as I have my dr appt at 8 this morning. It is so humid here that you take a shower and are sweating before you dress. I've gotten so I sit in front of a fan and dress.

We have commissary this weekend and I hope to get the other rug done this weekend as it didn't get cleaned last weekend. We shall see how hot it is. The living room rug isn't bag just needs a regular cleaning.

What is going on with the dr offices? I got a call two days ago that the person we picked for a primary care manager is not at that practice even though she is listed on the Tricare website so again I almost didn't get to keep my appt. The lady was nice and rushed it through and it was in the system by evening of the same day. We changed Jack's too so that he can get his referral for his cardiology appt. On top of that, we got a bill yesterday for an office visit from 2012! I imagine we are going to have to get nasty with them again. They credited out copay, but either didn't submit to Tricare or they screwed something up so Tricare didn't pay. It looks like they never even submitted the thing. It was for Jack so he is going to have to go three rounds with them. I imagine this Obamacare has to do with a lot of the screwups, including Tricare dropping our practice. The article I read last night says the whole thing is a mess and not nearly ready to go by January 1st. My friend Vicki applied for a job at a big store in the north similar to Walmart and it was full time, but now they have knocked it back below 30 hours as they have almost all their employees I guess so they aren't forced to provide health insurance. She still hasn't had her last interview and they are stalling I guess. Such a mess.

I will talk to you all later. Have a good day today. Faye
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #21  

Good afternoon, ladies. 75 degrees and sunshine.

Nothing happening. I'm going to clean the living room carpet this weekend - what fun. And hopefully I'll get a little quilting time in as well.

Faye, Obama Care is going to be a nightmare of epic proportion. They will be signing people up starting in October which coincides with the Medicare Supplements sign up so how the insurance companies will keep up is beyond me. I know a lot of doctors are going to be leaving Medicare because they have cut the payments again. I was talking to my friend who is out of work right now and she had to get labs done (diabetic) and she told her doc she couldn't afford it. The doc told her to tell the lab she was self pay. She paid $52 for tests that had been billed to her previous insurance for over $600. Where is the justice in that? Health care is a shambles. I just hope to find a doctor again. How's Fortune doing?

Jean, I like to shop at Kohl's. We have a nice one in the same shopping plaza as Trader Joe's so I check them out often. I get petite length jeans in Gloria Vanderbuilt. For every day I like Lee Jeans or Chic which both have a big selection in petite and I get them at Rose's for $7 a pair (last year's style but I don't care). I hope the fish are bitting for the guys!

Maggie, I'm really liking Windows 8 now that I have it figured out, but it sure was a surprise the first time I saw it. Any more buffalo babies?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #22  

Good Afternoon! It's a cloudy day with a few sprinkles thrown in the mix. We went to a department store downtown this morning. I had gotten coupons in the mail, but of course couldn't use them because everything I bought (bath towels, a denim jacket, and a pair of earrings) were a promotion sale item. We also stopped at Michael's and I bought a big decorated box, with a magnetic lid, for Maddy's birthday. I figured she could put all of her "treasures" in it to keep them together.

Susan -- I wouldn't be surprised to find that some doctors won't accept Medicare patients. I just hope people realize what a screw-up Obama turned out to be. Too bad we can't revolt and make the politicians follow the same plan. How did your research check come out? Good, I hope. The guys finally caught enough fish that we had fish for supper last night. They caught more today so will be able to take some home.

"Gma" -- I hope you were still on the appointment schedule when you got to your doctor's appointment today. What a mess! My " mom" is on Tricare; she gets her drugs through the mail with no trouble. Same with changing doctors when she moved. I wonder if that is because there is no military base close by. She does have to travel to renew her photo ID every so many years.

Not much else is newsy. It feels like all we have done is eat this week. I am anxious to get home and back in my own space again. Enjoy the rest of the day!

Last edited by Jean; 06-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Arrow Thursday ~ Thankfully

It is in the 80 degrees in this area and just a light breeze blowing. Very pleasant. I am not yet finished with bringing my computer to how I want it for there are some things missing in my word program I need to download that I had added to it on the other computer through the years. But there is no hurry for I know where to get the things I need when the time to use them arises.

After Will gets home this afternoon from his volunteer job at the museum we will take our run about and see how the buffalo are doing. They seem quite happy now that the recent rains have filled up their little wallow. The babies can stand in it and the water comes up to their bellies. They get a nice bath then go roll in the dirt. Neat way to get a mud pack that keeps the biting insects from chomping on them.

I received in the mail today a couple of gadgets that will be handy. I got one of those plastic containers that you put pickles in and then lift them out with a handle and the juice drains off and you can pluck your pickle. The other plastic goodie is a container to put pancake or waffle mix in and it has a lid that comes off to reveal a small pour spout to pour your batter out nice and neat. Seals up with the top lid so you can store it in the fridge for later use. You can do your mixing right in the container and save getting other things messy with batter. It was a 2 for 1 sale and I can put the other container in with our camping gear. I can use both of the pickle containers though for one can keep carrot and celery sticks in it.

I just got an e-mail from a local techie as a response to a "thing" I figured out to easily shut down this computer since it doesn't have a shutdown button in the tray for the screen just a "power button" on the keyboard. But I found a way in all my looking about today on how to shut it down safely and sent him an e-mail with the 411 in it and he was jazzed. We are all learning this Windows 8 thing together it seems. He said that they will be putting the shut down button back on the computer soon and it can be in a future download. It was on earlier versions of Windows 8 and they took it away for a reason I don't know. It is not a good idea to turn windows off using the computers "power button."

DONNA FAYE It will continue to get harder to find a doc that will take new patients for more and more of them are quitting their practice. I just had to deal with my med provider for there is a shortage of one of the meds I take so we had to choose a different brand.

JEAN Fresh caught fish is the absolutely best. That box sounds like something a gal would like to keep here "treasures" in. It will put a nice smile on Maddy's face for sure.

SUSAN There are still just the two buffalo babies. Once I learn more about Windows 8 I am sure I will be able to navigate it fine. Right now I need to be very careful how I move my fingers on mouse pad. The techs at HP have been terrific and the local guy here is great to do his best to answer my questions ~ and I was jazzed to be able to show him something. I am just now getting into some of the things that will be helpful in the Dummies book. I love the "stuff everybody thinks you already know sections." This Dummies book also came with a CD which I haven't gotten in to yet. I understand some of the things in this book won't work on this version of the computer for it is the HP Pavilion g7. However most things I really need to know are in it. What kind of computer do you have?

Last edited by Maggie; 06-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #24  

Good morning to you all! It is mighty sticky in this part of the country this morning. I need to ask Kelly if they have their pool open or not. It should get nice and warm with all this hot weather.

Bummer! My gyn is leaving the practice and moving to North Carolina. On top of that, the practice is not going to hire another gyn so there will only be one. Now compound that with the fact our practice handles tons of medicaid type pregnancies (you get the idea from where I live) and it is going to only get harder getting an appt to see the gyn left. It is a man, which I prefer a woman. I am not easily embarrassed so I could care less having a man or a woman messing around with my breasts and genitals, but only a woman can understand a woman's problems I think and that's why I prefer a woman. He seemed nice enough and she wrote me out a prescription that is opened ended for the progestin in case I start bleeding again. If I do, she made the prescription for 6 months and upped the dosage and if not, I don't have to go back until March and that is to have another biopsy. If I do start again, I will make an appt the end of the year to see him and discuss the biopsy appt. Right now, I am feeling great with no pain, no bleeding or anything!!

I am going to hang out today and just relax. My shoulder last night just would not quit aching and I put some icy hot on it and as long as it stayed "hot" I was ok but then it wore off and it was aching again, so I finally had to resort to the heating pad overnight and so I had to wake up and remove it then wake up and put it back on, etc. I think I twisted it night before last in my sleep.

We are going to have pot roast, carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight. We were supposed to have it last night, but I goofed. Jack is on summer hours at work, which means he has to get up at 4:15 AM and leave at 5. Since I had to keep the car, I got up when I heard him walking around upstairs and set up the crockpot, put the still partly frozen roast from the fridge in it, my bag of carrots and my ff beef broth. I thought I would turn it on low right before I left for the doctor's (8 AM appt,) and then kick it into high when I got home, figuring about 10 AM for home time. I got home around 10:30 and looked at it and the carrots looked really dry so I opened it up, stirred the carrots down into the juices and closed it back up, and turned it up to high. Two hours later, I looked at it and it wasn't bubbling, which it should have been. I had raw meat and raw carrots as I hadn't plugged it in! So it didn't get cooked completely by dinner time so I put it in the fridge and will stick it in the crockpot around 1 PM to finish up.

Susan: I just read day before yesterday that they do not have anything ready for October sign up and aren't likely to have it ready. The more I read of this the more mess it becomes. What I believe is going to happen is those of us who had perfectly good healthcare or used Medicare fine, are going to be the ones to suffer the most as our rates are going to skyrocket, we are going to have less not more healthcare, ie tests and such are going to be denied more and more or the doctor's aren't even going to recommend them because of the cost to the insurance companies. Tricare raised their premiums about a year ago I think, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't go up again before this all starts. I think what is going to happen regarding the subsidies business is it is going to be slammed with not only anyone now who has no insurance, but all those folks that are currently working, but their jobs are cut back to part time so they don't have to be company insured, places that are small businesses and being forced into insuring or places that hire minimum wage people will also cut back their workforce hours forcing all these people to buy private insurance and get the subsidies. The problem is, this adminstration has 2 more years then even if the white house has a republican in office and a controled congress, it will take awhile to repeal the darn thing. This country is in for a massive tax hike to cover all this mess, I don't care what they say. I am 5'7" tall but have to wear petite pants as my legs are short, especially jeans. We too are cleaning carpets tomorrow along with cleaning stuff out of the dryer which will put junk all over the floor as such so I am waiting to sweep and mop it until we get fuzz cleaned out. Have fun at quilting.

Jean: I just read that Tricare prime, which is the premium part of Tricare and what we use is eliminating covering certain areas altogether, which would mean those people will have to take Tricare Standard, which is no premium, but has a straight 80/20 allowable coverage, which would mean they will have to pay the rest and Tricare pays crappy. This if for Tricare prime only though, the premium part of Tricare. Since she probably combines Medicare and Tricare she would be on Tricare for Life which has no premium and is basically the suppliment part of Medicare. We also get our drugs through express scripts which is the mail plan. Jack takes 3 drugs and only pays out of pocket for one, his niacin drug which the price is now gone up to $13 from $9. I on the other hand, pay nothing for my three bp drugs, which is nice and won't change when we go on Medicare. Ahh a successful fishing trip this year. I am not much of a fish eater except salmon and tuna and basically I like salmon either smoked or in a can and tuna into tuna salad. I eat fish covered in tartar sauce or cocktail sauce! lol

Maggie: My Mcafee just expired and I was going to have to purchase a new year and got my credit union's emailed newsletter yesterday and low and behold, they gave us a free year and a 40% reduced price on it when it is renewal time. Can't beat that for sure. Those pickle thingys are great I think.

Well girls, I need to go and get some breakfast in a bit. I have a weird headache that advil hasn't taken away this morning. It is just one spot on the top of the right side of my head. Have a great weekend all, commissary, dryer cleaning and carpet shampooing in the agenda for us this weekend. Faye
Old 06-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #25  

Good Morning! We had quite a storm during the night; wind, thunder, lightning, and rain. There is a stereo sound system here and it started buzzing/hissing, so Bob played hero and started pushing buttons to shut it off. We have no dish service this morning but the Internet is working better than before. It's cloudy and very humid this morning. It's supposed to start raining again this afternoon; the guys have to turn in their boat so I'm thinking "head for home" afterwards. The other couple has to leave very early tomorrow because they have a wedding two hours away from where they live.

Maggie -- Your new kitchen gadgets will be fun to use. I have one of those pickle containers . . . somewhere. The guys are catching walleyes; my personal favorites are perch and sunfish we used to catch from my parent's dock further north from here. Evidently those don't share the waters around here. I never buy fish at the store.

"Gma" -- I am so sorry that you have to change doctors again. I hope you continue to feel good! Bob's farmer friend's wife is a staunch O supporter and gets irate if anyone talks against him. Every chance I get I share a slam on FB cuz I know she will see it. Your crock pot story is too funny. That sounds like something I would do.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #26  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

It is 10:30 and 80 degrees here in the ♥-Land and we are in for some strong winds this afternoon. Good day to get some things done inside. I need to re-arrange the things in the fridge and see if there are any mysteries lurking in there. Will has about a 3rd of the flooring down in the front room and it is looking great. He is laying it the opposite direction that the flooring is in the dining room and it is good for it is just a tad bit darker honey colored. The flooring in the dining room was done years and years ago and still looks new.

Cecil is up-chucking and must have eaten a bug that didn't agree with him. He plays with them and sometimes eats them. Who knows what he found outside to munch on.

I received my charm order yesterday and have them on my bracelet which now weighs 5.3 ounces. I will not be getting anymore charms for this bracelet for it is full enough except for one more that I ordered which is a pair of ice tongs with a cube of ice in it. I soldered a small ring on the back of the Motor Home as a hitch and so it is now pulling the Jeep. 2-BZ-2P (I get that way) license tag hangs on a piece of chain behind the Stop sign, Awesome (in Chinese letters) hangs off the Bravo Star, Bad Habit Rabbit and Bearly Bear it all Bear are on the same chain with the rabbit at the top and bear at the bottom, and Yipekio Coyote takes the place of where the howling wolf that passed as a coyote was. (I got the wolf awhile back when I couldn't find a coyote but he looked enough like a coyote to work.) But this little coyote is sitting down and yipekio-ing.

I don't have to make a decision on what to cook for dinner this day for Will announced that he is grilling burgers outside on the BBQ. We got some good looking 90-10% burger patties from the "used meat bin" at the market yesterday. They come 4 patties to the package and we got 4 packages so some of them are in the freezer to use at a later date. We haven't bought any meat that wasn't in the day old bin in a long while except for whole chickens. It seems there are never any of them in that bin. Pieces but not whole ones.

JEAN I especially like those containers to house celery and carrot sticks in. You just put a little bit of water in the bottom and the container keeps them nice and crisp. I tend to eat more of those "sticks" if they are already prepared. A few sticks and some WW cheese makes a great good for me snack. I don't fix much fish at home either and just eat it out instead. Will likes to fish but isn't much of a fish eater so that is how we work it. But of course we do like tuna sandwiches on occasion.

DONNA FAYE It is going to be what is going to be and I am not going to worry about being able to get my medicines until the other foot drops, so to speak. We really don't know what is going to come of all of this hoopla. I do hope Kelly has opened her pool for I know how you love to go for a dip. That is great for you that you are now pain free. How nice that you were able to get your virus protection at a reduced rate.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-21-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #27  

We are home! The other couple had to be home for a wedding which was another 2 hours beyond where they live, plus dropping "mom" off enroute. The guys caught fish this morning and had to return the boat early afternoon. "Sister" and hubby decided to pack up and leave this afternoon to avoid the time stress tomorrow, so we decided to pack up after they left. It's a 5 hour drive for us.

Maggie -- Hope Cecil is feeling better tonight!

I have to unpack so will be back tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #28  

Good Morning, Flowers! So far it looks like it's going to be a cloudy day. It was very humid last night and the mosquitoes were out in full force. For some reason I didn't sleep well and feel kind of sluggish this morning. I came downstairs and finished the night in the recliner. I have stuff to put away; once again took too much food. Also have laundry to do.

I need to get moving -- have a super Saturday and enjoy!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #29  
Thin Within

Talking Swell Saturday

For some reason I am especially enjoying my first coffee of the day and am fresh from my shower and greeting a beautiful new day. Today looks like a good day to fire up the Barbie and have some good home cooked hamburgers at noontime. We had planned to do that last evening but it got too windy. Usually the wind really comes up a lot stronger in the late afternoon and evening and we don't like having a fire in the backyard then.

You gals that don't have Windows 8 yet are in for a surprise. It is quite different than what you are used to. However, I am feeling more confident each time I turn the machine on. I am more comfortable with it now that I have installed some of my favorite programs. Last night I was having fun with a bird that I have that flies around on my screen. He goes fishing in the bottom tray. However I rarely ever open him up and didn't even have him on my last computer. It is one of those little programs that came out years back. Those sheep also ~ remember them? And the cat too ~ Felix is his name. I got these way back when I had my first computer years ago.

JEAN Isn't that the way of it to take too much food for an outing. When a bunch of my family would go up to our cabin high up in the Sequoias we would take enough food for us and Cox's army. I remember one time when we went up there for Thanksgiving and my bro-in-law was helping my folks to unload their vehicle he spilled the gravy in the snow. My mother and I were able to make more gravy but we never let him forget it. The snow was clean but we didn't want to scoop it up. Wonder why my mother didn't have it in a sealed container. Or maybe she did and the lid popped off when it hit the ground.

It has been a dickens trying to post today. This site keeps shutting down. When I first went to save the sight on this computer I got a warning message about the sight that it was fraught with trouble from folks doing bad things to it to disrupt the postings. Yep, I was warned not to come here but here I am anyway.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-22-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #30  

Ladies, there was a warning about this site from Google saying it was infected with several different Trojans and viruses. I hope they have it cleared up. I was reluctant to come on here but I have really good protection on this computer.

It rained yesterday evening, and today and more for the next 3 days. My grass hasn't been cut for 2 weeks so I hope it holds off long enough tomorrow that Scott can get it done.

I went to Kroger and Kmart this morning. I always walk all the aisles as fast as I can but I got a good bargain at Kmart on another Thermos water bottle - 24 ounce size for $8.99 on sale. I found it in Automotive of all places. My other one keeps ice for at least 12 hours and this one will too. I went to Kmart to get a 6 tab file folder and if I hadn't walked those aisles I'd never have found the cup.

Maggie, I think they have tried to make Windows 8 look more like the smart phone and tablets. I'm really liking it. And you can still use the desktop if
you want to.ou want to. I hope you got your burgers today. They are go good when done outside on the grill. Your new charms sound lovely. Will you start a bracelet for the other arm now?

Jean, fortunately we get plenty of fresh fish the same day it is caught here. I go to a seafood store that is on the commercial dock. Nothing better. Soft shelled crabs are in right now so they are going like hot cakes. The window for them is very small and they are priced out of my range.

Faye, hi! Happy carpet cleaning. I'm waiting for a sunny day to do it so it dries faster.