Steel Magnolias #35

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Saturday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Another chilly day in the ♥-Land and I have been inside doing glass work. I finished a cute little box with a rose on top for my friend Rosie and will deliver it this evening when we go to the Mexican restaurant for dinner. I am now finished with all the things I had planned to make out of glass for this season. I am out of a few of the products that I use and will be making an order after the first of the year. I just all of a sudden got sleepy ~ better drink some of my good coffee. I have been very busy this day and when I sat down for this posting it hit me. Cecil just entered the room. I feed him on a small table and he is so funny for he runs and jumps on it to see how far he can make it slide I am sure. It is a game with him. He is quite the jumper for he can get up on my long table that holds my glass grinder from a standing position. That table is fairly clean otherwise, except for the plastic container I keep his food in, at the end nearest his table. He has got springs in his legs. I am so glad, though, that he stays off my glass table and leaves whatever it is I am working alone. When he and Beanie are chasing each other out in the back yard Cecil makes one big bound and lands up in the Y of the apple tree. I just know if he had his front claws still he would end up in the top of that tree.

I have been clumsy today ~ I was putting the Miracle Whip back into the refrigerator and dropped it and the lid popped off for I hadn’t finished screwing it on and about a half cup of the stuff jumped out of the container when it hit and landed plop right on the floor exploding all over. Will cracked up and then proceeded to clean it up for me. Will said that since I was being clumsy that he would take me out to dinner for he didn’t want his on the floor of the kitchen. That was if I had Rosie’s box finished and we could deliver it. My clumsiness didn’t peruse me into my shop though, for I didn’t even cut or burn myself today but my nails sure do take a beating. I know I shouldn’t use them as tools but the temptation is there for a quick something that needs doing. I do need to get back into the kitchen and clean up the lunch dishes. Not much to do but I like to keep that area cleaned up.

Will just said it is time to go so I will be back later to finish this.

We just got back from eating and driving around looking at folks nice yard decorations for the season. Some people are very talented with their lights and some are just blah but they did make an effort. Rosie loved the box and was totally surprised, which I like. Will is doing a 2 hour Santa thing at their place tomorrow night after evening services and they all want me to come also. We didn’t have to pay for our meal again tonight. Tomorrow he is being Santa from 2pm to 4pm at Applebees. So that will be a busy day for him but he wouldn’t do it if he didn’t enjoy it. Oh that Cecil ~ came and sat down on the floor beside my chair and I ignored him and then I felt a paw tap my leg so I looked down then gave him a nice ear scratch and he was happy and wandered off to eat a bite or two of his food.

DONNA FAYE Your planned Christmas dinner sounds yummy. We will be going out for Chinese for the lunch meal and to I-Hop for the evening meal. Christmas is a no cook meal day for me. I don't recall ever having store bought candy for the season at our house. My mother always made that Sees fudge and other candies also. I do remember my grandmother having some of that ribbon candy though. I love grilled tomatoes ~ one of my favorite ways to eat that fruit. If you grill the green ones they are the best. When we lived "down south" we were always served tomatoes with breakfast.

JEAN I e-mailed you that Sees Fudge recipe. It is very easy to make and very yummy and high in points. You would like my bread for sure ~ fresh or toasted it is so good. Our tuna sandwiches for lunch today were really good with that loaf I made. I love to "gift" folks with a nice fresh loaf of bread and if you lived close I would be keeping you in fresh baked bread. Fresh baked bread is in my program ~ I'll count the cost and enjoy every little morsel of it. I do put added fiber in each loaf I bake.

Have a great evening Magnolias.
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! Just a quick "hello" from foggy windy Iowa. We went to church and then met our friends for lunch in another town. Needless to say I'm finding it really hard to get back into the cleaning mode. I did make a list for tomorrow so hopefully it will all get done. If not, so be it.

"Gma" -- Thomas is quite the musician! He really excels at everything he does; you have every right to be proud of him. I like to eat at Perkins but either have to go up to the lake or to Sioux City. I'm getting so I would rather do most anything rather than clean house.

Maggie -- I did get the recipe but haven't taken the time to look at it. I hate it when I'm in a hurry and get clumsy. I try to be extra careful but it doesn't always seem to work.

I'm off to shovel some more dust around. Enjoy the rest of your day!
  • Simply Chilly Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the ♥-Land for it is currently 18s and was not much higher today and it is said it will snow on Christmas Day. A white Christmas.

We had a very busy day with church and Will being Santa at two different restaurants. The kids were all so excited and cute and talkative except a couple that are afraid of a man in a red suit with a white beard. Their parents are hoping by next year they won’t be so afraid. Most of the little ones wanted to hop on his lap and get their picture taken which made it all worth it. When they told Santa what they wanted I would look at the parents and they would nod their heads “yes” that is what they are getting. One little boy wanted a scooter with a special kind of wheels and his dad looked at me and winked. Will told the little boy he would be sure and check his supply and if there was one like what he described he would get it. Dad then laughed and the mother punched him with her elbow in his ribs. It was a lot of fun. Another one wants a puppy and the dads head snapped up and his eyes got wide with surprise. It was fun. Tomorrow Will has presents to deliver as Santa. When we were at one of the places there were two collage aged guys at a table next to me and I was talking to the young man closest to me and noticed his friend with a big smile on his face. I recognized him from the WW meetings but didn’t say anything because I didn’t know if his friend knew he was attending and I didn’t want to “out” him. Pretty soon he said to his friend, “I know that lady for we both attend WW and she is a hoot.” He has decided he wants to sit next to me at meetings from now on.

JEAN That fudge is so good you may never want to make another kind. Easy to make and a people pleaser. I wonder who gets the most dust you or me. The wind sure deposits it in this house. I am quite often cleaning my computer screen which is a collector along with everything else in the house.

Have a great day Magnolias.
  • Christmas Eve

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Ouch ~ I woke up with a pain in my neck and I figure I slept wrong on it somehow. It has lessened as time passes so maybe it will be gone soon. I’d rather be a pain in the neck than have a pain in my neck.

So this is now Christmas Eve and all is well and we are expecting some snow tomorrow still. Will has to don his Santa suit once more this day and deliver some Christmas presents for a lady to her little children. It is so special when Santa can deliver them personally. What a thrill for little ones. It helps Will to do this also for he is making some folks with little kids real happy this time of the year. The little children are so precious.

We have been given a lot of gift cards for eating establishments around here which are nice. What a lovely way for folks to show their appreciation to us for things we have done for them in this past year. We never expect anything in return but it is nice when we do get things as a surprise. The places Will is a volunteer have been very generous with gifts to us. A simple “thank you” would suffice but it is certainly special when they gift us as “a thanks.” I have lots of thank you cards to make out now. Not having any family living closer than the west coast it is so nice to have such good friends and a wonderful church family here. What was really special is that the parents of the young man we let live in our basement last year sent us a gift card and some really neat pictures of the family. They live down south and are now our family.

Have a great day Magnolias and stay safe and warm.
  • Good Morning, Flowers! I am waiting for our dinner to finish baking, baked potatoes and chicken. The guy came to install my shades. The window one is perfect, but both sliding door shades have one end that doesn't quite retract as tight as the other end. I will be making a phone call on the 26th! The birds and squirrels are keeping Sonnybub entertained. I wonder if he wishes he were back outside so he could chase them. He has made several trips around the table so I know he gets excited. The sun is shining, wind is blowing, and it's cold; we're heading for 0 or below tonight.

Maggie -- I can imagine how much Will enjoys playing Santa! It's a Happy Anniversary to you day if I remember right. How many years? I hope the pain in your neck is gone, or at least is better by now. Enjoy all of your gift cards; just goes to show how much people appreciate you and Will.

Time to set the table and figure out what is next on my "to do" list. Enjoy your day and have a happy one!
  • MERRY CHRISTMAS LADIES!!!!

Not a big post today. Just wanted to get in here and wish you all a merry Christmas. I was swamped with stuff to do yesterday and then we have a really fun time at Kelly's last night. After dinner we played "Apples to Apples" I think it is called and it was easy and fun. The problem was we know each other so well that we would know which person answered what a lot, but it came down to the wire as to who would win. I was way ahead of everyone, then kerplunk, nothing and I lost to Kelly last night.

Maggie: Happy belated Anniversary to you and Will. I hope you had a great day together.

Jean: I put Thomas's money in his pair of socks and wrapped them up. His mom was sitting next to him and took them away from him teasing him with them. I think he could have cared less about the socks, but he wanted the dough back. She told him, "Do not sit there and count it!" I laughed and told him I didn't care if he counted it in front of us or not. He just grinned and shoved it into his pocket. I guess he has a "girlfriend" but she is off limits to talk about. I couldn't eve get out of him what color hair she has.

Everyone have a wonderful day today and stay warm dry and safe if you have inclement weather. It is going to hit us tonight late so Jack should have an interesting time getting to work tomorrow. Faye
  • Christmas Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Merry Christmas Magnolias. Our predicted snow storm has not yet arrived but it is cold with 12ºs and not expected to get much warmer this day than in the 14ºs. Yesterday were invited out to lunch by one of the big mucky mucks from the museum and had a great time. Then a friend stopped by and left us with a tin of homemade enchiladas, loaf of garlic cheese French bread, enchilada sauce and some granola bars. What a gal for she provided our dinner for last evening. Everything was very yummy for she is a great cook. We will be going out to Chinese for lunch then to I-Hop for dinner. Will was Santa for a gal with 4 little kids and she gave him a plate full of homemade cookies & candy of all different kinds. Oh the days when we would bake like that but I don’t do that anymore for sure.

Our animals are not spending much time outside this day for sure. In fact Cecil is a real pest today. Like we can do something about his outside temperatures. He loves to frolic out there.

I am having a wonderful time listening to music. I have this one CD that has a whole bunch of the older singers that really knew how to sing. Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland and more. It is one of my favorites.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you had a fun time playing that game with your family. That kid is quite the character and a charmer.

• Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly, a little breeze, and it "feels" like -20 outside. Another Christmas has come and gone, at least for our family. I know a few will celebrate this coming weekend. I should be picking up and getting my house back together, but have just been plain lazy this morning. I thought I would be working in the gift shoop this morning, but the director called and said it was so quiet I didn't have to come in. The after Christmas sale will start the 3rd when we will heading to Omaha.

"Gma" -- It's always nice to spend time with your family. I'm thinking Ian and Thomas would enjoy each other. I wrapped some more 50 cent pieces and tried to pad the box so they wouldn't rattle. Ian took time to count them before moving on. He also has a girlfriend but gets a silly look on his face if we ask any questions.

Maggie -- You were well remembered with food and goodies! Poor Sonny spent most of the day hiding behind a box in the laundry room. I felt so sorry for him but knew he was where he wanted to be. He came upstairs as soon as everyone left. Ernie usually takes a tour through the melee from time to time just to keep track of who is where.

I need to do a load or two of laundry; guess that won't tax my energy level too much. Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy!
  • Wonderful Chilly Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 12ºs and the wind is slightly blowing, not hard, just slightly but more than just a gentle breeze. We didn’t get the snow as promised by the weather man. Some other folks got it and are still digging out. No moisture in our weeks forecast either and our high today is forecast to get to a whopping 18º

Christmas is over and now the sales begin. There isn’t anything we need so we are staying out of that melee. We are waiting until that non alcohol bubbly grape, apple, and cranberry juice goes on sale for it is tasty as a treat throughout the year and not just the holiday time. Oh and that bubbly cranberry juice will make your jaws tight it packs such a wallop.

I had all three animals laying right outside the bedroom door waiting for me to get up this day. Will said they must of heard me stirring in there because they all left his office at the same time and went over to the bedroom door and a laid down in the hallway. What a wonderful greeting committee I have when I open the door to greet the world. They must like me.

I don’t feel like doing “anything” this day but there are some dishes out there in the kitchen that are calling my name to be washed. I can do that much at least. I might even make a loaf of bread while I’m out there.

JEAN And what is in Omaha that attracks you? I must have missed something because I don't remember why you are going there. Is it the first leg of a trip somewhere else? Your little cat goes where he feels safe. Cecil doesn't like it when we have company either. He goes and hides somewhere in the bedroom. Last time someone was over the bedroom door was shut so he ran into my office. I came back here to open the bedroom door for him and he was a flash going by me to get in there.

• Good morning, ladies! Currently 41 degrees headed for the low 50s and sunshine. We had wind and 2.5 inches of rain yesterday.

Today I'm going to Glory Bee - a real treat because usually I have to take off work to go. We have a covered dish luncheon and I'm taking Pumpkin Fluff.

Tomorrow is English Paper Piecing Bee so that will be more fun. I'm going to take my Bento Box lunch with me. If you don't know about Bento Boxes, go to www.mybentomeal.com to see some examples.

I was doing a post to you for Christmas and had it about half done and suddently I was transported to a website in CO for Ford. Needless to say my post was gone. I don't know what that was all about.

The thread I am the co-moderator on at AARP called Best Foot Forward is introducing the new AARP New American Diet and the author Dr. John Whyte is posting hints and answering questions for the next several weeks.

Faye, I'm sure he'll enjoy spending the $$$. Once kids get to be past toys, I give money.

Jean, when I had Cupid, he was strictly a one person cat and would head upstairs when the doorbell rang and he stayed there until they were gone. Casper thinks they have come to see him and rushes to the door to let them in so they can pet him.

Maggie, I guess you need to get a big space heater and put in the back yard to warm it up for Cecil. LOL.

Have a wonderful day.
  • Thankful Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 21º and “feels like” 17º and that’s a fact. The animals don’t even like it outside today for it is so chilly. I will be going to WW this evening and I got on the scale this morning and am the same that I weighed on Monday which is a pound down so I am hoping that will show at weigh in tonight. Tonight after WW we will be going out to Applebee’s and use a gift card.

Something has the neighborhood dogs all barking. Ours are inside being quiet ~ amazing. They have it in their heads finally that they aren’t to bark inside and they don’t feel like going outside so they just listen. Good boys. The cat is just hanging out here in my office and Will is at the museum. Before he went he brought me a sf ff vanilla latte which I am now totally enjoying. I took my shower right after I got up this morning and the animals were waiting for me anxiously for their morning treat. I usually wait until later in the day to shower but wanted to do it early for some reason that I don’t know what was.

We found out that they make other flavors of that bubbly juice in Strawberry and Cherry. We tried some of the Cherry and it tasted to much like cough syrup so we won’t be getting any more of that flavor. My favorite so far is the cranberry but I like the grape and apple also.

I did end up making a fresh loaf of bread yesterday and it turned out so yummy. It was a whole wheat loaf made with some of my newly acquired flour. When this bag is about to run out you bet I will be ordering another bag from them if I can’t find it in the store. The store does sell some of the King Arthur® Flour and if they have this type I can get it locally.

I got a surprise in the mail today from a preacher that used to be here years back. It is an antique silver pocket knife with two nice sharp blades and in excellent condition. The reason he bought it for me is because it has my name engraved on the side. Years ago someone with my same carried this knife. He was knocking around in antique stores looking for things to gift folks with and just came across it. Will bought me a real nice carbon steel bladed knife that is gorgeous and 6 inches long with a 3 inch blade. It has scroll work on the blade ~ real pretty. We are trying to find knives to use in the kitchen that are of carbon steel for they hold an edge so much better than stainless. There is a man who makes them and has some on the net for sale so we will be shopping for knives from him. I don’t need many but a few would be nice. I have a large butcher knife that is of the carbon steel that gets used a lot. Some smaller ones will be nice to have. I have a real nice set of stainless but it would sure be nice to replace some of them with carbon. I have a wonderful serrated bread knife wouldn't you know.

SUSAN Beanie would also love a heater out back and where he is usually you will find Cecil. He loves chasing hail pieces and catching them in his mouth. He would make himself sick if we let him stay out as long as he wants. I just know you will have a great time at Glory Bee ~ pumpkin fluff is sooooo good. We don't belong to AARP but belong to AMAC which is also a senior organization. A little competition there which is good to have choices for the folks.

• Good afternoon ladies. I have been trying to get the house cleaned and get Fortune over a sick tummy. I don't think it is anything serious, but you never know so I put him on a bit of meds and am watching him. Dogs are harder to take care of than kids sometimes.

Christmas Day was real quiet here, which was ok. We had our steak, etc in the evening and that was nice, called Jay and talked to them and Jackson about Santa bringing him goodies, Jack called his sister and talked to her, but that was about all. It snowed here Tuesday night into Wednesday, but didn't seem to make things too bad. Of course, I stayed put, just Jack going back to work. I think it was probably worse this morning as there were icy patches on the road and he goes to work in the dark, which makes it more treacherous.

Susan: Kelly has made Thomas lunch Bento boxes for years. They are a great way to keep portion control I think. I have long though about buying myself a couple and making up lunches for myself the day before, etc. Thomas had a real chunk of cash saved up since his birthday and Christmas. Since his parents bought him his laptop for Christmas, I don't know what he is gonna spend it on.

Jean: Sounds like you had a good time with family. I would bet Thomas and Ian would enjoy each other too. It won't be long and both of them will be bragging about a girlfriend instead of hiding her. I got very ambitious and got the downstairs all done except the mopping, which I will do tomorrow. It is still a bit wet outside so I am going to wait until it completely dries out so Jack doesn't track wet footprints in on a clean floor. When are you going to Nebraska again???

Maggie: Sounds like you have some very nice friends giving you all the food and treats. I hope you had a nice Christmas. When I was at Fresh Market getting deli meats, the guy gave me a sample of their cranberry relish. I don't like cranberry relish as I don't like the hunks of cranberry. I am a cheapo jellied cranberry sauce gal, but this stuff was delcious. Everything was finely chopped or ground and he said it is made fresh. It only had cranberries, fresh oranges, ground walnuts and honey. It was almost like dessert.

Well gals, I have the kitchen countertops to clean now that we are done with dinner. Hope you all have a nice evening. Faye
  • Good Evening, Flowers! We have had snow showers all day. Bob just cleared off the deck and it looked like less than an inch. I am typing on my laptop and not used to it at all so feel really clumsy. I had a board meeting this morning, went to WW and lost 3.5# somehow (haven't been for 3 weeks), then a pedicure this afternoon, and balanced the gift shop register last. I should put away what little I have out for Christmas but didn't get to that today.

Maggie -- What brand of bubbly do you prefer? I did get the rest of my Christmas dinner dishes put away today. What fun to receive the antique knife! Sonnybub heads to the basement as soon as it is dark and he can't see beyond the deck. He spends most of the day by the sliding glass doors. We fly out of Omaha on the 3rd, to Orlando, and will meet our friends for a 2 week stay in a condo a few miles south of there. What is AMAC?

Susan -- I will take a look at a Bento box when I finish posting. Thanks for the link. Will also check out the AARP diet. Casper and Ernie sound like they are people cats. I'm not sure that Sonnybub will ever be comfortable around people in general.

"Gma" -- Poor Fortune and poor you! I hope he is feeling better soon. Sorry about the ice and snow; I'm hoping for sunshine and warm when we head south! My grandma used to make cranberry relish with nuts, celery, and oranges mixed in; now I buy it from the deli and it's pretty good.

Hope you all enjoy a fabulous Friday!
  • Good morning girls. It has rained all night and seems to have stopped now. Parts of the county got ice though from what it said. Jack didn't say anything about having a hard time going to work though. I just want it to warm up enough not to have snow or ice the rest of the winter as these people are crazy in bad weather. I worry about Jack getting clobbered again.

I am not sure I am going to mop today with the wet weather. Between Jack and Fortune, I imagine my floors would be nasty again. I guess I can get to it this weekend sometime as they aren't going anywhere.

We are going to have nice hearty chicken and noodles for dinner tonight. I thought it was a good meal for cold weather. Jack just informed me a couple weeks ago he doesn't like to have potato soup or chili or any kind of soup for dinner. He says it isn't enought to eat and when I tell him we can have sandwiches to go with it, that wasn't popular either so no soup for us I guess.

I ordered some lovely sort of a paprika colored yarn to make Alicia a pair of the loafer slippers. The yarn won't be here until next week though. Kelly really thinks she would like a pair so who am I to say she wouldn't.

Jean: It may not be warm in Orlando while you are there. It was 37 in Port Canaveral this morning and it is only about 45 minutes from Orlando. About the only warm place in Florida in the winter is Miami and Key West. I hope you have spectacular weather while you are there in Orlando though. Congrats on the loss! Fortune is fine this morning. I gave him a dose of Pepto ( 1/2 tsp in a syringe) yesterday and he went out and pooed this morning and it was solid again. He ate and didn't throw up either but he didn't sleep from 10 PM on. So I am pooped.

I guess I better get a move on. Tomorrow is hair cutting day so I hope the weather is decent to drive in. Have a nice weekend all. Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! The snow is finally done, I think. Sioux City got over 5", according to the noon weatherman. I'd guess we probably got about the same. It's very light and fluffy, pretty on the trees. Bob is off removing snow on 30+ driveways with a tractor and loader. His farmer friend is gone for a few days and that is his "winter" job. Bob was hoping the snow wouldn't happen quite so soon. I've just been putzing this morning; did some laundry, worked on the afghan, and wrote a couple of thank you notes. I have to close out the gift shop books later this afternoon.

"Gma" -- My floors are nothing but footprints from everyone here on Christmas Day, kids in and out, Bob in and out, me in and out since. I will vacuum and mop just before we head out the door next week. I'll bet Alicia would like slippers. I just had coffee with a lady who spends January through March in Florida, and she said she is packing light weight sweaters and long slacks this year. It was too cold for her last year and she went shopping. I guess I will pack a little of everything. I'm so glad Fortune is feeling better.

I hear the dryer buzzing so will trek downstairs with another load. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!