Old 07-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #35

Good morning ladies. The doggys got me up to go out and pee so I decided just to stay up. We had a nice night at the movies last night but I have to say if you read the books you might have been disappointed with this one. It didn't follow the book much at all. There were parts I didn't like too much and others I boohooed right through like when I read the books. It always makes Jack laugh 'cause I am wahwahing in the theater like my best friend died or something.

Today is commissary day so I will go upstairs and shower in a couple hours so we can get it done early. It is going to be major hot again today so I don't want to be grocery shopping and lugging stuff into the house in the afternoon heat. Besides, we have to go over and check on Kelly's cat, water plants, clean the pool and such so we are going to do it in the afternoon.

I have to tell you, getting the edema down in my feet and legs have surely made a world of difference for me. I thought maybe I had rounded the bend with the female stuff, but last night I woke up and had a huge mess. I told Jack once we get his surgery over next month I am going to go in and get the ablation done and hope that it fixes everything. I gave it a year like she said and it hasn't stopped so I need to go to the next step. I feel really good other than that though. I can now get an exercise walking plan started because the swelling is almost all gone.

Susan: to you winning second. How great is that!!! You are truly an inspiration to us older gals that's for sure. I know you have to be wanting to get back to normal routine though. I guess I flipped what I said around. Kelly's pool is around 88 and Jack likes it in the 90's. That is too hot for me. I like it at 88. It is refreshing, but not cold. I get chilled when it is mid 80's or below. I really miss the pool at the complex, but even though I express my outrage can't force them to do anything. It really irks me, but no one seems to want to band together to make a big stink, mostly because they are renters so have no say anyway and the landlords could care less.

Jean: Jack taught beginning and advanced electronics out at the base for 4 years. It was his last "gig" before he retired. He and my bil Larry went through electronics school together when they were in the Navy and Marines respectively and that's how they met. Well, Larry has always said Jack is the best electronics technician he has ever seen. He said he just has a feel for it and all that stuff. Larry works for a company that services hospital equipment, but he is a manager and doesn't do the actual work. The sad thing is Larry retired as an E-8 and Jack an E-6, and why, because the Navy promotes different than the Marines and they don't promote just because someone deserves it. Simply this is how it works and is only the enlisted ranks. If you are E-5 and below, you are tested and if you pass the test above some imaginary line you are promoted. When you get to E-6 to make Chief, you have to take the test, then if your score is above a certain # you move to the Chief's board. They pull your record and look it all over and then pick the people to promote. Promotion in the Navy enlisted is crap because you only get promoted if there is a slot open. In other words, Jack was an AQ, and let's say they promote 25 AQ's to chief. If no one retires, moves up in rank, etc, no one gets promoted, I don't care if somebody saved the president. It is also filled with cronyism and personal feelings. If you have someone who sits on the board and thinks that anyone going for Chief who has not been let's say a Navy recruiter shouldn't be a chief, well then your file is tossed in the no pile. It is a stupid way of doing it because a lot of fine people get passed over. Jack pretty much kept getting passed over year after year after year (he moved up in rank fast until he got to Chief) was because he volunteered for recruiter duty knowing it was the fast lane to making Chief. Unfortunately, he got very, very, sick and had to be transferred and because he didn't finish his tour, everytime he came up for Chief they flagged his record and to the no pile it went. It is what it is, but it is a bad way of doing it.

Gail: Jack and I actually like the Focus. Like I said, it does sit low, but it has great leg and seat room. Jack is 6'2" and I am 5'7" and we both had plenty of leg room. Jack always has to drive with the seat all the way back, but actually moved it up one notch to drive. We want something a bit bigger for travel though because it is kind of small to travel in with suitcases, coolers, etc, etc. All in all we have enjoyed driving it.

I guess I better get out of here and get some work done this morning before we have to get out and about. You all have a great Saturday. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #2  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning everyone!

Susan, congratulations on winning 2nd place and $1000!!! That is so wonderful! Yes! Life is back to normal and it feels good. My eating has improved tremendously. The only thing I need to do is get back to walking regularly but with the heat and the humidity the way it is right now I will not be walking outside. I need to do one more thing to get my house back to normal and that is to move the recliner back into our home office so I can unfold the treadmill. If I don't walk regularly I will not lose weight like I want to.

Maggie, my favorite fish is flounder. Growing up I ate spot and bluefish because this is what was caught in the fish nets. That and crab. Yum. The book you have sounds interesting and am glad you're excited about it.

Donna, no matter how great a movie can be if it's based on a book I have read, I always like the book better. BUT with that said, I want to see the movie!! I am so glad you're feeling better. I'm glad that awful edema is lessening (is that a proper term?!)! Now to get this other thing fixed for you but I understand waiting until Jack gets his thing done. Wayne has waited for me to get all the testing done for when I passed out back in May. Now, it's his turn to see a doctor about this tendon on his upper arm. It's getting kinked up (for lack of a better phrase) and the family doctor told him last time (about a couple of years ago) that it wasn't anything to worry about and when it started bothering him for him to come back. Well, now its starting to bother him. And...I'm glad you're enjoying the rental car. You lucked out with getting a good rental.

Jean, forgive me for not remembering what I wanted to say to you!!!! I shall return! In the meantime, have a great day!

Well, today I'm going to get some new flora and stuff for Wayne's aquarium. It needs to be cleaned. Badly. So bad the fish should be wearing tiny hazmat suits! Other than that it's going to be a knitting kind of day!

Take care, stay cool, and drink water!
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's promising to be another hot day in my neighborhood. The weatherman said the cold front will move in later today . . . 82 degrees, and then back up into the 90s tomorrow. I should make a grocery run for some fruit and veggies, as my lettuce is turning brown. I haven't had it that long so I'm bummed about that.

"Gma" -- Thanks for starting the new thread today! I'm glad you enjoyed the movie last night. It's wonderful that your swelling is down in your feet and legs so you are more comfortable. It sounds like the military is alot like any other business, it's all in who you know and being at the right place at the right time. May your commissary trip be a super fast one today!

Gail -- I'd much rather walk outside but haven't been doing much this summer because of the heat and humidity. I am NOT a "dreadmill" fan at all. I hope Wayne's arm pain isn't too serious and can be "fixed" easily. What kind of fish do you have? I always enjoy watching aquarium fish; that's supposed to be good for bp!

I have laundry going and need to change loads, then get dressed. I am lazy this morning! Ernie and I watched an old John Travolta/Kirstie Alley movie this morning. She was about half the size she was on DWTS. Have a super Saturday and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Saturday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I am going to make some Pemmican when I get all the ingredients all rounded up. I have recipes for the original way and the more modern way. This fruit pemmican is loaded with energy, is tasty, keeps well, and is easy to prepare. With nothing more than several bars of pemmican and water, you can spend days in the wilderness. I will, of course, be making it the modern way. It will be great in our “go bags” for when we go camping and such. Some fruit leather and sun-dried fruit would be good to take along also. Yep, I have recipes for them. Home-made is so much better than the stuff like that you can buy in stores. I remember taking some fruit leather to school in my lunch as a kid. My mother was so good about making such things. Will wants to try and make parched corn. That is a drying process in the hot sun then heated on the stove till it swells. OK, that will be interesting. That is something we have never done. Guess it will be like “corn nuts.” If we get all this done before we take a trip out and about it will be great. We are hoping to have a tent trailer, or “pop up” as called by some, by the time we take our vacation. Right now we can’t find one around here so will have to go further a-field looking for one. I am going to do grilled small steaks inside for dinner and have some delicious corn on the cob and fresh fruit. A banana, peach, pineapple, orange and strawberries which I had cut up and cooled in the fridge. It is going to be all so yummy and OP. Now I need to figure what I will make for lunch this day. Next spring we are planning on buying half a cow so I can really have some different choices then. Our butcher, in the town we drive to for jerky, will cut and wrap it for a lot less than the one here in town will. We will have to get a smaller freezer just for that beef probably. I’d like to get half a pig also or maybe the whole one because they are small. Yeppers it would be nice to have a freezer just for the meat. One for Schwan’s and whatever ~ then one just for beef, pork, poultry & fish. Sounds like a plan. The church bought a new computer for Will's office in the building and he is setting it up now with what programs he will need over there. The internet guys did their thing yesterday so it is on line.

DONNA FAYE That is so good that your feet and legs are co-operating now and you can get in some exercise besides swimming. "They" say it is good to do different kinds of exercise. It sure helps to rise in rank by who you know doesn't it. It will be nice to get your "female" issues all fixed up I do believe. The things a gal has to go through.

JEAN I will miss the eagles. However, we can look forward to seeing some new hatched babies. Your lettuce must have had some age on it before you bought it. How do you keep it in the fridge? I wrap mine in paper toweling then put it into a plastic bag. The loose leaf I wash in veggie wash and blot it then put it in a tupper container between paper towels. Works for me.

SUSAN What a neat thing to happen. You go girlfriend. Now you will be an example to many not just the few. If I could do a jug I would do one for you. I bet the folks at the WW center where you work are jazzed for you. You, my dear, will be an example for them to point to as a WW success story. Yep, I can see it now.

GAIL Isn't it just like the weather to not be co-operative when you are ready to get back to your walking. I sure hope the fall time is condusive to being outdoors. How is your FIL doing now that he is settled back in his own place? Does Wayne have a placostamus (sp) to help keep his tank clean? Those are like a tank vacuum and clean the walls.

I am going now to fix some lunch. Type at y'all later. Smile, life is good.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #5  

Good evening, ladies! So hot today but "only" 99 degrees as the high. Humidity is terrible.

I have to get up at 4 am to get to WW by 5:30 am (first meeting at 6) and after we finished up I went to the grocery store and then came home and had a nap.

Remember, ladies, walking and other cardio is good exercise but you need strength training, too, to keep muscle mass. Resistance bands are cheap (less than $10) at Walmart, portable, and can be used standing or sitting. You can just get a couple of cans out of the pantry and use that as resistance for upper body.

Faye, I just love being in the water, even when it is on the cold side. I know you do, too. I don't know how the laws are in your area, but our development showed a swimming pool on the original plans and we are required to maintain it for the resident's use. You might check with the Memphis planning department or county and see how your development was laid out and what is required. They are obviously saving the money for pool maintenance, life guard and insurance at the resident's expense. I hope you and Jack can both be straightened out before year end.

Jean, Kirstie Allen sure is an example of what not to do, isn't she. Did Ernie enjoy the movie or nap through it?

Maggie, your meals always sound so good. Couldn't Will get a church near me so I could eat with you?

Gail, I'm glad you are getting some "me" time and back to normal. I hate to have my routine disrupted.

I need to think about something for supper. This might be a good Lean Cuisine night with a salad and fruit on the side. I'm feeling like not cooking.

Have a great evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD LATE AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Yikes I just got a weather aleart and it stated we are going to get between 105 and 109 this afternoon When we were out and about this afternoon it was 104 but the dogs were loving it in the Jeep for they get a stream of the air conditioning. They love to go with! We don't take them along when we are going to be inside and have to leave them in the Jeep. Nope don't do that. We also always have fresh water for them when we are out and about. We, of course, stopped by our favorite coffee place and I am still sipping on my sf ff latte. Did I tell you I really like my new cup? I am sure I have told you several times anyway. We stopped by the butcher shop and got some meat to make sandwiches. We prefer to get that and stay away from the packaged salame and bologna kind in the regular food market. The meat market does have some great shaved roast meat for sandwiches and shaved turkey. I am going to make panini's for dinner using ciabata rolls. Easy enough to do and a lite dinner. I know you won't be surprised but I do have several good panini recipes. It all depends on what kind of bread you use and what you choose to put in them to what your points+ will be.

OH SUSAN I would love to share meals with you, however, we just don't want to live East of the Mississippi. Nope don't want to live out there. Isn't it good that we all have choices and can live where we want to live. When we leave here we want to live somewhere in the mountains. Up in the mountains. We do so miss the mountains. I have stretchy bands from years back in all colors. Each color band denotes a different strength. My therapist gave them to me way back in the 70' when I had a job injury. Plus I do have the purple one that WW put out. And a set of "heavy hands" that go up to 3 pounds and I believe you can buy the ends for more pounds. I also have a squishey set of 2# balls and a squishy 5# ball made by Danskin. I have the Xerbar from Spri and some other glove and ankle weights by Atlus. I have pictures on how to use them all and they are kept in a dust free closet. Also I have many exercise videos. My favorites are by Richard Simmons. I use some of my things some of the time but not all of them all of the time. Now that you have mentioned it I may get my program going again. I got slack on the doing of that part and I am really not "on program" without doing the dreaded exercise part. I do hate to exercise. However I just read a little blerb in the back of my heavy hands booklet which I will quote here:

LEARN TO LOVE EXERCISE!
Love of exercise is a reward for years of dilligent, sensible practice. There is always something new to learn! Apply your fitness gains to a bunch of tasks in your life and don't be afraid to invent! When exercise helps to make your 'life performance' easier and more graceful, love is automatic!

Have a great evening Magnolias. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-23-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #7  

Maggie -- I've never heard of Pemmican nor ciabata rolls. I googled pemmican and don't think I want any; it talked about separating beef from fat. I store lettuce in the same manner that you do, so perhaps it was old to start with. I try to pick from either the back of fresh produce displays or the bottom if on shelves. I've watched clerks restock and they move from back to front, bottom to top here. It has definitely been hotter for you than here! I'd rather have hot than cold any day though. Someone mentioned a colder and wetter winter because our spring and summer has been so unusual; I hope not!

Susan -- The computer says it is 86 but the heat index says it feels like 96. I'm waiting for the promised cold front! Do you have many that attend the 6:00 meeting? That's awful early for a Saturday morning imo. The pool was always open, 9 - 9, and staffed with several life guards when we lived in the Ohio condo. I'm sure the cost was included in our rent, but we enjoyed having the pool available. Any time I sit in the recliner Ernie is on my lap; I think he slept through the movie. Do you have favorite LC dinners? I usually buy WW but am always open for suggestions.

Guess I will see what is on TV and decide what to wear to church tomorrow. It will be 20 questions . . . "where is Bob?" That's ok since it means people notice when he's gone. Enjoy your evening!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

HOWDY MAGNOLIAS

I have goop on my hair right now am restricted what I can do with it on so I decided to check in here. I waited too late, I know, to do my hair but I had a migraine earlier and didn't feel like it. After I pop my pills I don't get the pain but just feel goofy. Well, goofier than usual for I am a bit goofy all the time.

JEAN I know you don't ever plan on making any but here is the 411 on Pemmican. The old version that the Indians and pioneer folks made was like this: They combined equal parts of jerky, dried tart berries and rendered lard (cooked down from pork fat) together and made little rolls or cookies out of them and wrapped them up to carry on the trail and kept them alive.
The newer version is this:

PEMMICAN
Pour all in a food processor and grind at least twice:
1 cup each of the following:
dried peaches
dried apples
raisins
coconut
chopped peanuts
1/2 cup pitted dried prunes
After is is blended well mix in the following:
1/2 cup of each:
margarine
peanut butter
honey.
You can add more fruit, or substitute any of the above. Form into balls or small sized bars and roll each in powdered sugar. Wrap each in aluminum foil and store in the freezer. This fruit pemmican is loaded with energy, is tasty, keeps well, and is easy to prepare.

Now you know what gave the pioneers their energy to keep going. Anyway for us modern campers it is nice trail food when exploring around. Just getting prepared for our trip, whenever that may be. When I get the ingredients rounded up I can better tell what the points+ will be for my little bars. I haven't made it in years and that was before I was counting points ~ but always made it before spending lots of time at the cabin in the tall trees which is up 6 thousand feet in the Sierras. We did a lot of tramping in the out back and it was sure nice to have along and not have to return to base for food if we wanted to be out longer. Just some of that and water sustained us.

Time has come now where I can get in the shower and get this goop washed out of my hair. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-24-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! I've been awake since 4, turned the light on and finished reading a book at 4:45, and here I am! I will probably be ready for a nap during church!

Maggie -- I have a mental picture of you with "goop" in your hair! I must say your Pemmican sounds MUCH tastier than what little bit I read last night on Google. Since I don't have a food processor, I probably won't be making any although it does sound good.

I'm off to take a shower and read the Sunday papers. Enjoy your day and keep cool!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #10  

Good morning everyone. I have been up since 3 am and this time not because of the dogs. I woke up having to go to the bathroom then not being able to go back to sleep because I fell asleep in the recliner about 7 pm and Jack just let me sleep.

We went over to Kelly's and checked on everything, cleaned the pool, even cleaning out a brown frog who decided to join us swimming, then came back and Jack grilled us dinner. I did a bunch of laundry and finished up this morning. Jack and I sat and watched a bunch of episodes of that reality show, "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding." The wedding gowns those women have made for themselves and wear are something else. He then went upstairs and I watched some program on ID about murders of rich people then fell asleep.

This morning I finished up the laundry, fed both the dogs, let them out numerous times and knitted several sections of my sweater. They must have been having a marathon on that Mansions Murders or whatever it was called because it was still on so I watched a couple more episodes and a couple Main Street Murder episodes and then turned it off.

We have to head back over to Kelly's again today then I guess her friend will take over again tomorrow. They will be home on Wednesday. The pool has been so great and I sure love getting exercise that way. It is just to expensive to keep the car everyday and run over there to go swimming.

Susan: I have both the cord and 2 lb weights I used in conjunction with the treadmill. Now that the swelling is almost completely gone I can work up a program getting exercise in. Pretty hard to exercise when you can't walk and IMO if you aren't sweating, you aren't doing anything to help out your body.

Jean: I worked at a 7-11 years and years ago and we were taught, new stock in back, old in front. They called it "fronting." When we shop we do that with produce, milk, bread, you name it. If the stuff in front seems to be fresh and have a good shelf life, then ok, but if let's say milk expires in 2 days, we dig until we find some that is better. I like the LC chicken fettucine, their pizzas are really good I think, their spaghetti and meatballs is good too. I don't eat a lot of packaged meals anymore as I do try to cut down on salt.

Gail: Cracked me up when you said the fish needed to be wearing hazmat suits. I would never have an aquarium as they are a lot of work all the time. A dog is pain in the behind enough for me. We are keeping our fingers crossed that they have the car done by Wednesday. The guy called Jack on Friday as he had to get an ok to do more work as they found damage behind the bumper so had to repair that too. Jack said he had to call the guy's insurance company to get an ok to keep the rental longer but it was no problem, which was good. Kelly had some lady sideswipe us several years ago and her insurance fought Kelly the whole way. This dingbat was on a side street on the other side of the street, and Kelly was in the far right lane of a 4 lane street. This woman looked right at us and pulled across all 4 lanes and slammed into us. She had a 2 year old in a newborn carseat and I think Kelly was more furious about that than anything. She let the cop have an earful about it I remember. Anyway, the insurance company caused Kelly no end of grief and her car was pretty messed up. Considering where the damage was, there was no way Kelly could have caused the accident.

Well gals, I better get out of here and get some more stuff done. I need to get some breakfast and get dishes unloaded and put away and clothes put away and the bed made, etc, etc. Have a good one today. Faye
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Sunday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is fixin' to be a not so hot one here this day with 98 degrees & isolated T-storms. Right now it is a bright sunshiney day and the "day that the Lord hath made and I will be glad in it." I certanlly didn't sleep much last night. The last time I looked at the clock it was morning time and now I am up an hour earlier than usual for Sunday. My head didn't hurt but what ever goes on in my head when I have a migraine won't let me sleep much. However, right now I don't feel sleepy so, hopefully, I can stay awake in church.

DONNA FAYE That is so nice that you can use your daughters pool whenever you can get over there. How many miles does she live from you? Swimming is such good exercise. Getting all spiffied up for your upcoming vacation.

JEAN I don't have a food processor either and just grind stuff up in my blender. The processor is one of the appliances I have not replaced since moving into a house once again. I haven't found the need for one yet. The operative word is "yet." I haven't made any just using a blender on "chop & grind" setting and will see how it works out. They make blenders that can do most things a processor can now days so we shall see if this one is up to the task. Do check that mailing out when you get a chance for it has some good spice mixes in it. All of them sound great except the curry one. I am not a curry fan. I am going to make that pie and take it to pot-luck next month. Your WW leader is a real jewel. BTW Ciabatta 411: Italian bread with a crispy-chewey exterior and moist, spongy, dense interior. Works nicely with salad-type fillings that turn weaker breads soggy. It is one of my favorites to make paninnis with. I cut the rolls in half and use the inside as the outside and that works great in my press. There are about 8 good breads to use for paninnis depending on what your filling is.

Everyone have a lovely day and I will be checking back after "lunch out" to see what is happening in cyber space.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-24-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies! Another hot day in the forcast and then we're to have thunderstorms tomorrow and a break in the heat - only 95 degrees the rest of the week. I sure don't call that a break. We surely need the rain again.

I have laundry and kitchen today. When that is done, I'm going to watch a movie and hand quilt.

Faye, I'd love to know how much those Gypsie wedding gowns cost. The woman who makes them won't tell because she'd lose their business. It has to a huge price, though. Did you know that the Travelers and Gypsies have different heritages? Gypsies came from around Hungry and Romania and Travelers are descended from the Celts and mainly found in Ireland.

Jean, I'll bet you're enjoying your me time. Isn't it like a vacation to be able to do what you want when you want.

Maggie, that Pemmican sounds very good. I'd be interested to know the points. I love seeing dogs in cars - they all seem to be having such a good time.

Hi, Gail.

Ah, back to work!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #13  

"Gma" -- I hate it when I fall asleep in the evening and then I'm not tired when it's bedtime. I seem to do that more when it gets dark earlier than in the summer. I know you enjoy swimming in Kelly's pool. It's too bad you can't go there every day. I'm going to check out the LC dinners the next time I'm in the store. I like to have frozen dinners on hand for when I don't feel like cooking. I hope your chores are done and you are laps by now.

Maggie -- It's 75 degrees right now and the sun is trying hard to shine. We did have a shower early this morning; there is a nice breeze that came up while I was in church. Sleepless nights make me grumpy! I don't know why, but sometimes it seems like my mind just won't shut off even though I'm asleep.

Susan -- This heat wave has got to break sooner or later . . . looks like it might be later. Higher temps are supposed to move in here again on Tuesday. I'm getting so I don't believe the weatherman! What movie are you watching? I recorded one last night so might make that my next project. I can putz away the time an not accomplish anything. At least when Bob comes home for lunch and supper I am on somewhat of a schedule.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Warm Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We did go out to eat for lunch and I had grilled shrimp a salad with dressing on the side and a plain baker. I dipped my fork in the dressing and you couldn't even tell that I had used any when my salad was all gone. I am very happy with my choices this day. I just used about a tsp of sour cream on my potato and left all the cheese and bacon alone. If we go out after evening services it will be to Applebees where they have quite a few WW entres on the menu to choose from. Right now I am sipping on my sf ff latte. When we use the drive up window Will doesn't even make our coffee order but says something funny into the speaker. Whoever is working repeats our usual order and says "pull around please." He hands in my coffee container and they wash it out and fill it up with a smile. His comes out in a paper cup. He doesn't want a cup like mine He is an old Navy guy and can hold a coffee without spilling a drop ~ learned that on that ship called the USS Coral Sea which was an Aircraft Carrier that he was stationed on many years ago. My uncle Bennie was the same way with his coffee but he was what they called a Skivvy Waver ~ that guy did the flag signals on the deck for the aircraft coming and going. Love those boys that volunteer for Uncle Sam. One of my brothers was in the Navy and one was in the Army and one was in neither. And I worked writing repair booklets for the guys on the ship to know how to repair the launchers. Goodness, that was a long time ago and probably no longer classified for surely they have something better in the works. I don't know if I still have a clearance classification but back then it was the best you could get at the time, probably not. If I wanted to "get back in" they would probably research me back to the point when I left working for the base and went to work for the state.

SUSAN We also are "supposed" to have T-Sorms tomorrow and the temps in the 90's. We shall see for it is always subject to change. I will better know how many points the Pemmican with be per bar when I make it for I will know then how many bars it will make and what ingredients I end up using. But you can bet your sweet self I will know how to count them in my program. It will surely depend on how many points they are if they are just to be used as a "meal replacement" bar or a snack.

JEAN OH don't be grumpy. You do know that you can choose your own attitude about any given thing. Ha, easier said then done, I say. But you really can. Determine when you get up after a sleepless night to have a good day and you will. This is a behavior specialist speaking to you now. I think I got about 3 hours sleep last night and before I got up I told self to have a smile on my face and greet the day. I got up and got ready to go to church and asked Will if he was coming now for he was still in his office, and he said, "It is an hour early." I thought I was getting up at the same time I usually do on Sunday and could have slept another hour. DUH. But my attitude was good and it is still holding. I'll not go to bed any earlier tonight nor will I nap today. I have determined anyway. Time will only tell about the going to bed any earlier for I won't nap for I am not a napper. Was a terrible child around nap time and have never napped since. Some folks need to nap and they should. I don't need to so I shouldn't.

Have a lovely afternoon Magnolias.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies. It is another early morning for me. The dogs wanted out so I had to get up and when I am up, I am usually up for awhile at least. So, I let them out and decided to check the things I had ordered for vacation to see if they had shipped and to just come in here and post.

I need to clean the upstairs bathrooms and make dog food today. At least that is what is on my agenda. The dog food is a must as I only have 3-4 bags left and I try to keep ahead. Yesterday I had to run to Kelly's to check everything out and such and that wastes quite a bit of time. By the time I was back it was so hot I decided to just forego everything until today. It is going to be really hot again so I need to get things done early.

We didn't do a whole lot yesterday and since Jack didn't want to go swimming yesterday and you know I am part fish, I went to Kelly's alone, it is only about 10 miles from our house and did the chores and had a nice exercising swim, then came home again. I worked on my sweater quite a bit yesterday and it is about 1/2 done for the back. I am making it a bit longer as I like a more tunic style of sweater to cover my belly area.

Susan: It did know about the difference, except until I had watched the show, I had never heard of "travelers." My sister's first husband was from Hungary and came to the us during the Hungarian resistance, his elderly parents were here and didn't speak any english, but I learned quite a bit about Hungarian history having him in the family as he has a lot of relatives here in the states and his generation and before that were here were not americanized but stuck to their Hungarian roots. I find these two groups of people, an enigma. The woman have to be pure, chaste, virgins, live a strict life etc, but when you see them out and about, they dress like street walkers wearing revealing clothing, they go to weddings and act whooee, let's just say a little loose. The men are very traditional, etc, but want the women to dress sexily and such but they also want the pure women. I have watched several episodes and those dresses weigh a couple hundred lbs. I saw an episode on Saturday where a little girl was having her first communion and her dress left marks on her waist because of the weight of it. Don't you wonder what they do with the things, once the wedding is over? They live in trailers and small mobile homes so where do they store the things??? Interesting show, that's for sure.

Jean: I imagine a LC dinner instead of cooking something when Bob is at meetings or on his Canadian trips, etc does make it easier to eat. I have been trying to think about the different ones I eat. The turkey one is really good too. I like the baked chicken entree also. I like Lean Cuisine much better than the WW ones. The commissary has a pretty good variety of LC, WW, and Healthy Choice, but I think Walmart has the best choices. I don't eat them much, but Jack likes them for work as most are fairly low pts.

Well I better go. Jack will be up soon and the dog is barking at me. We had someone pounding on the front door yesterday evening and come to find out one of the neighbors had a little boy and was trying to find out where he belonged. She said he climbed the fence and now didn't know where he was supposed to be. Only the neighbor on my left have kids there and the rest of our building has no children. Across the street the condo right in front of ours may have one and Tim next door has several children but that is all the children in that building as well. Come to find out when Jack went out to the garage for something last night he heard a little kid next door. We have new neighbors now in the condo where the older couple lived. Heaven help us, I hope they are decent people. Everyone have a good Monday. Faye