Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #57

Good morning, ladies! Heading for temps in the 60s today.

I put my shoes on yesterday and drove to the Food Lion (not my favorite store but it's only 1 mile away) and did some shopping since I was out of milk and bananas. Felt good, too.

Faye, I hope Jack is feeling better. That card must be a hoot!

Maggie, you really are having winter and a white Christmas. It looks like our will be rainy.

Jean, what is a pit ham? I've never heard of it. We have Smithfield foods near to us and country ham is the best but you can't eat much of it because it is so rich. I wish they'd sell 1/4 boneless hams. Even a half is too much for me and I don't like it after it is frozen. Usually I get a slice.

Have any of you got a good recipe for black eyed peas? I had one for a black eyed pea salad that was so good but of course I lost it.

Have a great day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! The wind is blowing and it's cold (feels like 11 degrees) outside today! The sun is hiding so don't think any snow will melt today. I've been to the grocery store and to the antique store where they make fudge. That price sure went up from last year, but at least I don't have to make it. The crazy "no clue" drivers are out in full force! Now to finish wrapping and take inventory.

"Gma" -- I hope your commissary wasn't too busy. The grocery store was just nuts. How aggravating about your tires! I'm glad you finally got them. Kelly's Christmas card sounds really cute. Where did they get the bear? Will Jack be able to taste his food tonight? Enjoy your time with your family.

Susan -- Ah . . . warm weather! Lucky you! It sounds like you are building up your shoe time. I'm not sure what the difference is in a pit ham vs any other kind. It's in the basement fridge so I will know more when we bring it up to cook it. I've never fixed black eyed peas so can't help you there. I was looking for a casserole recipe this morning, and couldn't find it. I finally called the gal who gave it to me. I know I put it someplace stupid and will eventually find it!

I've got to keep moving! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day! Merry Christmas to all in case I don't get back in here until "it's" over.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is in the 30's this day in the Heartland with the sun shining and the snow still on the ground. They don't plow many of the streets here in this little berg and driving on side streets is lumpy. I don't have plans on going anywhere this day. I am telling you these two animals are a hoot. We feed the dogs once a day in the evening. I leave food out for the cat all the time since he is a little kitten yet. I have the cats food up on a 2 foot stand to keep it off the floor. Cecil is up there now tossing pieces of food on the floor and watching them bounce then Beanie pounces on them and eats them up. These two are a hoot working in conjunction like a couple 2 year old kids. At least there isn't any cat food left on the floor. Beanie has gone out of the room now and Cecil is droping pieces on the floor and hopping down and eating them one at a time. Up and down. Laughter is good. And we were wondering how the dogs would get along with a cat.

DONNA FAYE What a neat card. Wonder what they will do next year to top that! Hope they make this a "tradition." It's too bad you had to resort to a grown up fit to get those tires. It shouldn't be that way. That is good med Jack uses for colds. We just like Cold Eeze better because it cuts the duration of the cold in half and we can use it with our BP meds.

SUSAN Yep we will be having a beautiful white Christmas. You know with this appliance that sucks all the air out of the plastic freezer bags the ham tasts as fresh after thawing it as it did when it was before freezing it. Ice crystals don't form on the food when it is frozen like that and dry it out when it is thawing. We don't eat black eyed peas much but I do have a salad recipe that is good I will type out for you. I also have a salsa recipe that is good and I can give that to you if you want. This recipe is good also on baked potatoes for a nice meal.

BLACK-EYED PEA SALAD
2 T cider vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
4 drops of hot pepper sauce
1 (15 1/2 ounce can) black-eyed peas, rinced & drained
1 red onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded & diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
2 celery stalks, diced
Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, sugar, pepper, salt, & hot pepper sauce in a large bowl. Add the black-eyed peas, onion, bell peppers, & celery. Serve at once or cover & refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving of 1 Cup
3 Points+
118 cal; 3 g fat; 20 carb; 5 fiber; 5 prot

JEAN OOOO fudge. I didn't make any of my good Sees recipe this year. Too risky for I knew it would not be a good thing for me to do. I didn't want to purposely put a temptation in front of me that strong ~ calling my name. Sometimes I can make it and don't want any but now is not one of those times. We have received several food cards for places like Applebees this year which is good for we do like going there and I can eat OP off their menu. Have a wonderful Christmas if we don't see you to say that before the 25th.

Have a lovely afternoon Magnolias. I need to go have some lunch now. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-23-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #4  

Thanks, Maggie, that's very similar to the recipe I had. I'll be making it for New Year's and some sauerkraut and pork too so I can get all the good luck for next year. LOL
Old 12-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is still in the 30's here and the snow is not melting at all. The animals are in and out and Beanie has his tracks all over the backyard from frolicking in it. He comes in with his face all plasterd with it. The cat stays in the covered pation where all the drifts didn't quite cover the floor. He has walked on the path Will shoveled out to the gate to greet us with Beanie when we come back from errands. Ole Ragg Mopp stays in the patio and greets us there.

SUSAN You are quite welcome for that recipe. Since I got it out and revisited it I am going to make it soon. Will said that we could have it on top of a baked potato for a lunch one day. He remembers how he liked it before served that way. If you ever want another recipe ask me if I have it ~ for I have quite a number. I'll be happy to share any of mine with you. It will go great with your sauerkraut and pork. I haven't yet planned our meal for New Years Day.

The BBQ man was scheduled to be downtown at 4:30 and have our order but he hasn't showed up yet. I hope he didn't get bogged down in the wheather somewhere. Will is down there and will wait awhile longer then come home. The man can call him when and if he does make it. Otherwise we will have to do something else for dinner this day.

Everyone have a lovely evenigh. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-23-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #6  

Maggie -- I am heading for bed but thought I would check in here first. Your black eyed pea salad sounds very good. However, Bob would think I was trying to poison him for sure! He doesn't like peas of any color. Our snow on the deck did disappear this afternoon because the sun did come out and it was 40 degrees. The weatherman says it will be 55 on Christmas Day. That I will believe when I see it! I hope your Bar-b-q guy showed up.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #7  

Good morning to you ladies. It is going to be quiet at our house for the rest of the weekend. We are just going to enjoy being together and get Jack over his monster cold. It is breaking up so I hope by the time he goes back to work he will be over it.

We had a nice time last night. Kelly called me while we were on our way back from the commissary yesterday and asked about eating in town so we went to the Butcher Shop, which is a steak house for dinner. The food was fabulous and I brought half my steak home it was so big. I even splurged and had dessert. They make their own strawberry cake with homemade vanilla bean strawberry ice cream and it was delicious. Jack had creme brulee and Tom had their brownie sundae type thing. Thomas order this stuffed filet mignon that has portebello mushrooms, gorgonzola cheese, bacon wrapped and had a loaded baked potato except for sour cream and scarfed down it all. I don't know where that skinny little body puts it all. How many kids do you know that will eat gorgonzola cheese? Most adults don't like it, though I really like it. I bought catnip toys for their cat and gave it to them with Marty's sweater and as we were leaving the restaurant, Kelly told me Marty doesn't really have long to live. He is doing very badly. Just broke my heart. He is very old, like 16-17 but he has been like having our own pet, coming and staying with us and all. Oh and I found out that holiday card picture was taken on their Alaskan cruise so that is where all the props and such came from. I thought maybe it was some fun thing they did for Boy Scouts, but it was the cruise.

Susan: We have a food lion here, but it is in the ghetto and dangerous part of town so I have never been in it. I am glad you are getting around on the foot now, just be sure and take your time with it. I do hope you have a lovely Christmas whomever you are going to spend it with. Do you eat hoppin Jack? I think that is made with black eyed peas, isn't it? Jack's family being from the south or in this case southwest always had black eyed peas for New Year's eve as they believe it brings good luck for the year. Jack said he only ate them once and that year his dad broke his leg and was out of work for months and his mom had a brain tumor so though he doesn't like the taste, will never ever eat them again, period!

Maggie: Thanks for the recipe, but as you can see above, Jack won't eat them so I don't buy stuff I end up throwing out more than I eat. Hope you and Will have a wonderful Christmas too!

Jean: Are you guys heading out today or are the kids coming to you? I don't remember what you said. Did you get everything you ordered by mail??? Did you see the article where folks ordered stuff at the Best Buy online on Black Friday and just a couple days ago people started getting emails saying their orders had been CANCELED! I guess they couldn't keep up with demand and canceled orders and people are really really mad because of course they are Christmas presents and they can't get them replaced before Christmas. The company says they are sending out gift cards, but that is not making anyone happy as they won't get there before Christmas and like one lady said, "If I had wanted to give a gift card, I would have bought a gift card!" You and Bob and the kids have a joyous and happy Christmas tomorrow.

To Gloria and Gail have a Merry, Merry Christmas!!!!! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #8  

I'm doing a quick read before I get ready for church this afternoon. I still need to dust! I made salads and cheesy potatoes this morning; need to get dishes and silverware spit shined when we get home. I'm in hopes no one inspects the curio cabinet because it's not going to get scrubbed this time around.

"Gma" -- How sad about Marty! Our kids and stepfamily will all be here tomorrow. I'll be glad when it is Monday! I did get everything I ordered online. A couple things were back ordered but came through. I would be so mad if it was this late and the order cancelled, especially if I ordered early.

Hope everyone enjoys their Christmas!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Sunny Saturday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the Heartland & currently 26 and not expected to get higher than 31. However, the sun is shining brightly. We are going out to our favorite steak house this evening for dinner where I get the best grilled shrimp. Nice place to celebrate our anniversary. This is Christmas Eve and we have a tradition to go about town looking at all the nice decorations folks have on their houses and lawns. There are some folks who spend lots of bucks and really do their places up nicely and we get to enjoy them.

The game has begun ~ Cecil is dropping bits of food for Beanie to pounce on. Those two are a hoot. Tuesday the dogs get their bath and Cecil gets so lonely when they are gone. Maybe we should take him for a bath also.

I can tell my fingers are shrinking because some of my favorite rings twirl now and the stone wants to be toward my palm. I have this lovely lily ring that has a teardrop ruby as the heart of it and the gold is heavy and it needs to be worn tightly on a finger. I'll wait till I reach goal and have all my rings resized.

The BBQ man did show up last evening a bit late but we were able to have a bit of it for dinner and had sandwiches for lunch out of some of it.

I am so looking forward to renewing my weight loss efforts this coming year. I got a care package from a leader friend today and she wrote me a funny note that said she could send me anything that isn't nailed down except (she named a gal friend of mine) for she wouldn't fit in the envelope.

JEAN I got a chuckle out of your saying Bob won’t eat peas. Black-eyed peas are a bean. The black-eyed pea, also called black-eyed bean is a subspecies of the cowpea, grown around the world for its medium-sized, edible bean. The bean mutates easily, giving rise to a number of varieties. The common commercial one is called the California Blackeye; it is pale-colored with a prominent black spot. Now you have had a mini lesson on the black-eyed pea which is really a bean and not a pea at all. So if Bob eats beans you might make the salad for it is tasty just call it a "black-eyed bean" salad. I am so happy for you that your orders did come in time. You are right lots of folks are sorely dissappointed.

DONNA FAYE I am so glad that your main sqeeze is getting over his cold. What a lovely dinner you had last evening with family. Hopefully that kids metabolism will stay as it is throughout his lifetime and he can eat anything he wants. Gorgonzola cheese is just a blue cheese that ranges from mild to sharp and we like it. Delicious crumbled on a salad and in an omlet with mushrooms & onions.

All Magnolias have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #10  

Maggie -- Happy Anniversary to you and Will! How many years? Thanks for pea/bean lesson. I may give it a try and tell Bob it is a bean salad. I just brought the vacuum upstairs so thought I would peek in here. Church lasted over an hour and then I had to pick up the money and lock it in the office file cabinet. We have a Friendship Fund that we collect for after communion; more people put money in that plate than in the regular giving for the budget. I'm off to clean the bathroom. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #11  

Good morning and Merry Christmas to you all!

Just peeked in to wish you a happy holiday.

Maggie: Happy anniversary to you and Will!!!

I will talk with you all tomorrow or the next day. Of course, Jack has given me his cold so here we sit on Christmas Day with cold medicine, nose spray, and plenty of kleenex. I instead of a Christmas Dinner, we are having homemade chicken noodle soup and homemade bread!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #12  

MERRY CHRISTMAS, LADIES!

It's only 41 degrees now and not expected to get much above 50 today. There was a light frost last night.

Glory and I are having Christmas dinner together - roasted chicken, baked sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, french bread and butter, and pumpkin pie for dessert. I had yogurt and fruit for breakfast to enjoy the "extras" today.

Faye, I'm sorry you and Jack have colds and can't enjoy the day. Get better soon!

Jean, do most people put there offering into the collection plate or do they mail it in? More than half the people at my church send their offering in a lump sum once a month. I send mine when I get SS check and then if we have a special collection put some in then.

Maggie, Happy Anniversary! How romantic to get married on Christmas Eve.

Have a wonderful day with family and friends.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Christmas Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a sunny day in the fortys here in the Heartland this beautiful Christmas Day which I hope is Merry for all you Magnolias. Snow is melting on the roads finally. Don't know why the city didn't plow them except the probably knew the real cold weather wouldn't last that the warmth could clear the roads. I looked all over for my favorite card making disk and finally found it today. Now throughout the year I will be able to make cards and such. I have other disks I have purchased but this one is my very most favoite for it is far superior. It has so much on it that all the things on the disk don't get loaded on the computer so it is necessary to have the disk to use the program. I love making cards for folks special occasions. It is a disk that came free with a past computer and is a Hallmark Greetings Workshop that lets the person create the quality of Hallmark at home. One that makes cards, banners, certificates, etc for all and every occasion. Anyway I am so pleased to have located it. We had Chinese for lunch this day after morning church and took a man and his 3 boys out with us. Mom is a nurse and working till @ 2 pm so it was fun to treat her family this day. Those little boys are so sweet and well behaved. They get a kick out of us for we know things to talk to with them about. Kids stuff. Will taught them a few new jokes and I taught or tried anyway to teach them how to make their drink straws whistle. Their mom is going to love me for that! Afterwhile we will go to I-Hop for a nice breakfast.

DONNA FAYE I am so sorry you are also under the weather and have caught Jacks cold. Do you also use Niquil or Dayquil? I have heard that stuff really helps out great. I wish sometimes I could use those things. I have to really check lables that one with high BP can take. Chicken soup will be good for the both of you.

SUSAN Your meal with Glory sounds delicious. It is wonderful to have a good friend to share the day with. AH so you got down to frosty at least even you didn't have the snow and White Christmas that we are having. We are happily married and at least Will doesn't forget when our anniversay is.

Have a lovely Christmas evening Magnolias. I need to get ready to go out to eat. We just finished off a bottle of non alcohol Cranberry Bubblie which was so yummy and made my jaws tight. I would have that again. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #14  

Merry Christmas (is almost over)! I am heading off to bed as it's been a very long day! Bob helped me put the kitchen back together after everyone left about 8:30. We sat down in front of the tv, and I promptly fell asleep.

"Gma" -- I, too, am sorry you caught Jack's cold. I guess the saying "misery loves company" must be true. I hope you feel better soon!

Susan -- Your Christmas dinner menu sounds delicious! Some of our members donate directly from their bank accounts either monthly or quarterly. Some write monthly checks on the first Sunday each month. Others, like us, write a check each week. We have some members who give nothing. Our box of envelopes has extra envelopes for holidays, and then there are special mission projects throughout the year. I noticed we are having a baked potato lunch the Sunday we play bells, to help the youth raise money to go to a Christian music concert in Minneapolis.

Maggie -- It sounds like you had the same sunny nice weather we did today. The kids brought their bikes and played outside quite a bit today. That was a real novelty for Christmas Day! There was a hot air balloon over the lake later this afternoon; Beth took a picture of it and will email it to the Sioux City tv weatherman who is from Storm Lake. He always ends his report with photos that people send in. I'm glad you found your card making disk!

I'm going to bed! See you tomorrow!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and the wind is blowing, as usual. It just looks cold outside even though the thermomter says it is 37 degrees! I am doing absolutely NOTHING today! I do need to unload the dishwasher, and might wipe up the sticky kitchen floor depending on how long I can stand it.

I do need to unload the dishwasher and pick up the gift bags 'n boxes left behind. Hope you all enjoy your day today!