Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #16  

Maggie -- I hope your hot temperatures fizzle out before reaching us. It got up to 85 this afternoon but the wind picked up so it didn't really seem too bad. Tomorrow it is to hit the low 90s so I did turn the air on this afternoon. I think Beanie is a 2 year old in disguise! He will keep you on your toes for sure. No, I don't have a pick up stick. I'd need a "grabber" that will reach the things in high places! I like it when the kids are here because Jason, Amanda, and Will are all tall and can reach my top cupboards if I need something. You will have to share a picture of your lamp when you have it finished. I know it will be beautiful!

Gail -- Are you in VA Beach tonight? Travel safely!

Susan -- What have you been up to today? I hope you are keeping cool or at least having nice weather.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #17  

Good morning to you all. It must have been a bit cooler last night as the house is pretty cool this morning. It is still so very humid and that's what causes discomfort down here more than anything.

I am on a knitting hiatus for a few days. I tweaked my shoulder and it has made my wrist and my elbow sore. I am taking flexeril for it and putting heat on it and it feels better than it did yesterday but I still feel like there is a bunched up muscle in my shoulder area and my elbow is sore though my wrist isn't bad this morning. Since I am left handed, and it is on the left side it aggravates it to knit so I am not going to do it for a few days which for me will be hard.

Jean: I am thankful Jack is tall because he can reach the high stuff for me too. I can barely reach the top shelf. If I am alone the broom handle is what I have to use to tip whatever it is forward and hope I catch it!

Maggie: Dogs can be a source of laughter that's for sure. Fortune does some hilarious stuff. Hope you lamp is coming along nicely.

Not much else going on around here. Oh, I guess the unions took it to the mayor about the holidays cut as they had already signed a contract so the mayor sent out a letter saying he was backtracking on it and giving everyone one a one year 4.6% pay cut. That might not fly well either as the contract said no pay cut and it was signed before the budget was done. The budget goes into effect tomorrow so we shall see, though like I said before a pay cut is easier to handle than the holidays being cut out.

Well gals, I am going to go and read a bit then get my chores done. Typing seems to pull at my elbow a bit so I am out of here for now. Have a good Thursday all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #18  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's promising to be a hot humid day. It's already 80 degrees and there is a heat warning for humans or animals who are outside this afternoon. I am sorting through the things we moved out of the bedroom and up from the basement so the entry is clear once again. I have a pile of magazines to go to the hospital and need to figure out my food contribution for the weekend. Some of big kids don't like onions in salads so am debating about putting them in and letting them pick them out. The salads are too big for the two of us so like to make them and share.

"Gma" -- I'm like you, and have achy joints today. I slept wrong (?) on my shoulder and it hurt when I rolled out of bed, but it is better once I started moving around. My hands feel like I've had my fingers curled tight all night -- maybe I did. Anyhow, I may have to make a Motrin run later. I use the grilling fork to tip what I want from a high shelf. I don't do that with glass because with my luck I wouldn't catch it and then I'd have a mess to clean up. I hope the contract wording will hold and to heck with the mayor!

I need to get dressed and get my day going. I feel lazy after working on wet, soggy basement and bedroom this week. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #19  

Good morning ladies, only 79 degrees right now headed for mid-80s. I love it.

Faye, tell Jack to more over so I can join him in the knee department. I tore my LCL (lateral collateral ligament) on the outside of my knee yesterday...not exercising, but coming down the stairs at home. So I have the knee stabilizer from ankle to hip and crutches once again. I'm really bummed about my exercise. I'll be doing my upper body weight machines and chair dancing for about 6 weeks - and cutting back on my points, too. I didn't fall, but must have turned my foot out when I stepped down. That knee is the one that had the ACL injury before. Guess I can use it as an excuse not to do housework! Not going to happen. I'm sorry about your shoulder and I hope it clears up quickly - remember RICE!

Jean, I guess we'll just wait for Gail and Maggie to post their aches today since we all seem to be hurting. When are you leaving for the lake? I vote to let them pick the onions out. I have a reacher that was Stan's that I use and I also bought a 2-step stool so I can reach things. I got it on sale at Kmart and it was only $10. It folds up so I keep it between the fridge and the wall.

Maggie, could I borrow Beanie for a couple of weeks to fetch and carry for me? LOL I'd love to have a dog like him, but I'm gone too much from home for a dog. Cats care for themselves. I hope your garden is surviving the heat.

Gail, I hope everything went well at the doc with your FIL. He is one determined man! I hope he gets to the point he can dance again.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #20  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is already up in the 80's expected to climb to 107 this day in the Heartland. Yikes it is hot. Will went to Wal*Mart to put money on my debit card so I can order that crochet dresser scarf runner for the new piece of furnature this day. It is coming from Victorias Deco and they have two in stock so one should be on it's way to me shortly. I'm jazzed to find one that is so long ~ 14 x 75 which will give a nice hang down on each end of the 64 inch dresser. You gals are talking about your aches and pains and I just gotta tell ya ~ I don't have any today. Neither of my knees hurt nor do I hurt anywhere else on this fat body of mine. Humidity must be very low this day. I found a baked version of that Onion Bloom put out by Green Giant and it is still higher in points+ than I want to go to the trouble making for a food I can do without. They are so good but not worth it for the amount of points they cost. I was doing some research for the local WW leader. Guess fair time gets folks thinking about such foods.

DONNA FAYE I am so sorry you have hurt yourself and can't do your favorite thing of knitting. Aren't heating pads wonderful. Used to be we used a hot water bottle. Remember that? Will bought me a new fan for my office and set on low it about blows me out of here. Gracious sakes they make them with power now days. I had a little square type one that kept falling over in here which I didn't like at all because of that. This one is a pedistal type. I just like to keep the air moving around. Got the ceiling fan whirring away also.

JEAN Get yourself a pick up stick. I can reach back into the cupboard and up top with mine. Sure is a help. I am 5'5" and need that little bit of help. Are you planning a trip to the lake cabin soon?

SUSAN What ~ take Beanie! You would be laughing a lot with him around. He is quite the character and "on my side" since he brings me things out of Will's office. Those fold up step stools are great aren't they. I am sorry you twisted your knee. That has sure put a crimp in your daily routine of exercise. However, you have a plan and making a change up sometimes helps the whole.

GAIL How goes it this day with you my friend?

Will is back and I have money on my card so I had better spend it. Type at y'all later.

Back a bit later: I just have to tell you ~ when I went to order that crochet runner for the dresser they only had one left. Yesterday there were two and I am so happy I went there today so I got the last one. Yipekio!

Last edited by Maggie; 06-30-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #21  

Susan -- I am so sorry about your knee! Will you have to be on crutches for the entire 6 weeks? You are so dedicated to your exercise I admire you for hanging in there. We will go up to the lake on the 3rd. Since it is our new minister's first Sunday to preach we will go to church either Saturday night or Sunday morning. I'd just as soon go on Sunday to the traditional service but that will make us later leaving here. We'll come home the 4th because the 5th is my morning in the gift shop and then I will be in the church office that afternoon. The bloodmobile called and wanted a donation that day too. I told her I would come the 19th.

Maggie -- We've had 'the' bloomin' onion at Outback but I've never tried to make one. They are delicious if you like onions. My cupboards go clear to the ceiling so I use a chair if I really need something from the top shelf, which isn't very often. I'm glad you were able to get the crocheted runner you wanted. We will be at the lake Sunday and Monday; Jason, Beth, spouses, and grands will be there too, so we will have a cabin full!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #22  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

...just got back from Va. Beach. FIL came back with me. Will tell more tomorrow. I'm fine. Tired.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #23  

Gail -- Glad you and FIL are back home safely. Have a good night's sleep!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #24  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

The trip to the doctor appointments went very well. The orthopedic surgeon told Marvin (I was in the examining room also) that his leg is still in the process of healing but is healing very well. In fact, Marvin was told that he can put as much weight on it as he can bear (using commonsense), he can take the brace off when it annoys him too much, AND he can now drive. Well....yeah....I know....the old man probably shouldn't be driving anyway under the best of circumstances... (let's just leave it at that). He plans on being her another two weeks and I'm looking at July 15 or 16 when he will go home. I am exhausted from taking care of Marvin and quite frankly I don't feel appreciated. And I think he's playing me and part of that is my fault. Marvin is sharp as a tack so last evening when we got home and it was time for him to take his meds, I shoved them to him and said, "Marvin, you know more about your medication than I do; you should start taking control." And I walked out of the room. In fact, I'm going to take my life back. Oh not to worry, I'll be here when the nurse and physical therapist are in my home. And I will be more than happy to cook his meals and clean his room and clean the bathroom he keeps in a mess...and some of it I do understand. After the last two days in Va. Beach what I have witnessed and listening him talk on the phone to one of his buddies when he thought I wasn't around. Well....let's just say this...the man is going home no later than July 16.

Today, I'm going to finally get started taking my walks at the park again. I'm going out to the grocery store (without feeling guilty) and after I fix lunch for him I'm going to the mall to shop for a birthday present for my oldest daughter who will be 38 on Tuesday.

And I am on program even though I have eaten every meal at McDonald's since leaving home on Wednesday. I've been drinking water.

I know I need to do catch-up on the posts but I wanted everyone to know how things are....

...and I'm doing just fine.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #25  

Good morning all. It is cooler this morning but going to crank up to mid
90's again today it is going to be hot again.

Not much news on my front. I haven't started knitting again, but am going to do some today and see how it goes. I think it may be the way I am sitting in the chair that is causing the problem. I liked my old recliner as it didn't give me these problems. I tend to lean forward in this chair and I think it strains that big muscle in my shoulder area, which then causes the wrist and elbow pain because I must try and compensate or something.

Just finished another Michael Connelly book and boy does he know how to write. I now have to wait until November when his new book comes out. Bummer!

Gail: I know you will be so glad when you don't have the burden of you fil all the time. It won't be long so hang in there. What did you buy for your granddaughter?

Maggie: Since the portable ac unit's vent doesn't louver, we put a large fan in front of it to blow the cold air into the room. This little thing keeps the whole bottom floor cool not just the living room. Hope you find you like the doily.

Jean: It stinks to be old sometimes when the ole body tells you it hurts. I thought you would get a kick out of the Target story. I read it to Jack and he just hooted. He hates shopping but when he goes with me, he goes to the electronics and leaves me to do all the shopping part. Since I don't "looky loo" I get everything then call him on his cell phone that I am done. It will be interesting next year on the cruise because the nut I am married to wants to rock climb, do the surfing on the flowrider, do the zip line, go ice skating, etc. Me, I want to go swimming and lay around the pool and read and knit. I can't wait to go swimming all the time. I will have to load up on sun screen though.

Susan: Oh my goodness. You take care of yourself. Jack has been having hand trouble again but it has to wait probably until he retires now because that is a 12 week process I guess. He said he is going to get it and his schatski's ring repaired right up when he retires with the sick time he has left. You are having some lovely temps where you are. I like the hot weather when the pool is open to warm it up, but since they aren't opening it this year for whatever reason I wouldn't mind some cooler weather. Only two weeks from tomorrow and the last HP movie comes out. Jack and I plan on going to see it in 3D. It looks great from the trailers I have seen.

I think we are going to have pot roast carrots and potatoes for dinner tonight. I have struggled a bit this week with points even though I have nothing bad in the house, no cookies, candy, etc. I just seem to be hungry all the time this week. Probably hormones again, ugh!

You gals have a great day and weekend. Hope you get to see some fireworks. We aren't going anywhere. I hate the huge crowds you have to deal with and parking a hundred miles away. Faye
Old 07-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #26  

Good morning, ladies. A balmy 74 degrees today. It's going to the high 80s later.

This knee is really letting me know it isn't pleased with the way it was treated. I don't like the pain medication because it makes me sleep so will take some Advil and ride it out. Fortunately I have a seat in my shower so I got in, sat down, took the immobilizer off and then washed and reversed the process. I stayed in there a long time with the hot water on my knee and the shower set on massage. That felt good. .I'm going to experiment sewing with my left foot today. I think I can get the hang of it pretty fast. I want to finish my sewing box today so I can take it to First Thursday Bee for show and tell on Thursday.

Faye, the muscle across the back at the shoulder are the Trapezius (sp?). It could be you are twisting it just a little when you bend forward to knit. I get all hunched up over the machine and it hurts - that's why we all look forward to having the massage therapist at our retreats. Poor Jack...his extremeties are not treating him well at all!

Gail, we'll all count down with you until you are on your own again. I can tell you when you live alone, its so nice when someone else does things for you and pays attention. It doesn't take long for us to get "spoiled."

Hi, Jean and Maggie!

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #27  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers! It's 85 degrees and heading up towards 95 today. The air conditioner is humming away! Bob has gone up to the lake to mow and maybe do some painting before the weekend begins. I'm still sorting and pitching from the "wet" night at the beginning of the week. I do have all of the wet clothes washed and put away as well as 2 boxes ready to go to the SOS store.

Gail -- I'm glad the doctor appointment went well and you have a countdown for your FIL going home. He probably didn't/doesn't plan to take advantage of you but appreciates all that you do for him. I'm sure that living alone isn't fun when there are a lot of things you can't do for yourself. Jason will turn 38 in Sept.; I thought your daughters were much younger (you too!). How old is your other daughter? BTW, I looked for Peaches 'n Cream yarn while in MN but no luck. What weight yarn is in the dish cloth and is it all cotton? I did find an easy to follow "how to knit" sheet with big pictures!

"Gma" -- Would a pillow or folded blanket help support your back better? I hope the knitting goes well today. What kind of books does Michael Connelly write? I just finished a mystery/romance called Bait by Karen Robards. I hope Jack's hand pain can be controlled with otc meds. It's too bad he can't get everything fixed at once.

Susan -- It sounds like you are having some nice "spring" weather to start you day. I really like the showers with a seat and notice some of the new homes don't have a tub, just fancy walk-in showers w/o a door. What is your sewing box like? I would love to watch you quilt!

Maggie -- Is it any cooler in your neighborhood today?

I need to get busy and figure out what to pack for the weekend. I hate packing for one night! Hope you all have a fantastic Friday and a safe 4th!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-01-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently in the high 80's now and fixin' to get as high as 102 this day in the Heartland. Cooler than it has been for sure. We were out and about last evening and it was 109 of all things. The air condition man is next door in the church building fixing something wrong with that air conditioner. Hope he gets it all figured out before Sunday. Surely he will. We were planning on taking our monthly drive out to the place we buy jerkey but think we will just call and have him mail us some. I haven't been inclined to make any just yet for his is so good. I am thinking of making some chili verde this day. It is cubed pork or beef cooked with mild green chilis, tomatoes, onions, garlic & chili powder and tomato juice and it is so yummy and 6 P+ per serving. I serve it with small warmed flour tortillas. Well ~ I don't have to think about buying some meat for that dish for Will just got back with a small pork roast. Hows that for telecomunation. I have all the other ingredients that dish takes. What I do with the meat is slice a roast in strips and then brown them till done in my grill which makes it easy to get it browned without oil. The recipe does call for it to be broiled. This is so cool ~ Will called the place we buy jerkey and the butcher man is going to ship it to us and then bill us for it. He knows we are good for it. What I do is weigh it out and bag it up in portion sizes then freeze it. It lasts us a long time that way for we don't just pig out on it. Our new door has arrived. Now we just have to have them deliver it for it is so heavy being a storm door for us to haul it in the Jeep. AH, but it has a doggy door in it and that is going to be so nice. The boys will be able to let themselves in and out. Right now they are busy chewing on some new beef bones from the feed store. That feed store has some neat things for our dogs.

DONNA FAYE I am sure you will figure out a way to sit where it won't agrivate your muscles while you knit. Adjust and re-adjust till it is just right. We love Michael Connelly ~ writes about Harry Bosh a cop. Have you read any of Robert Crais who writes about a detective named Elvis cole and his friend Joe Pike or books by Joe Child who writes about Jack Reacher a retired Army cop that travels the country? If you want a book by Crais and Child Will said he will give you a couple to read. Let me know and we will get them in the mail pronto. He has books on top of books in his office. We like all three of those authors.

JEAN Isn't it nice to have all that wet laundry done now. Schwan man came this morning and we have a refill of what we have used of our favorites. Plus, of all things Will bought a Double Layer Chocolate Cake which is on limitited availibility. I know what we will be taking to the next pot-luck. I can have a small sliver of it there and not have that enemy in my camp. He did get me some low point pops though, which I can enjoy in this hot weather. He is fine with the idea of taking that cake to the pot-luck for that is what he bought it for. YEAH. I was talking the other day about baking a cake to take and he just thought he would buy one instead. What a guy.

SUSAN It is so fortunate you have that seat in your shower and you can manage to get one taken. Those types of showers have become quite popular as the population has gotten older. Used to folks didn't live beyond their 50's. Times they sure have changed. Can you post a picture of your sewing box when you get it finished so we can have a look see. It is good to be amadexterious. Is that how you spell that? Phonecially anyway.

GAIL AH the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. Just do what you have to do for him that is absolutely necessary and let the other stuff go. That is "his" thing if he wants to be disagreeable and it has "nothing" to do with you. Some folks can just be such ingrates. Walk with a peppy step and keep your good attitude and this will all pass.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon. It is fixin' to be a hot one. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-01-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #29  

Maggie -- Sounds like you had another hot day in your neighborhood today. I know you will enjoy the dog door in your new door when you get it. I haven't seen hide nor hair of the new Schwans guy who stopped here a month ago. I don't like him coming around the evening meal time because we aren't always here. I really don't need anything and know I could put an order in online when I do. I wish we could just buy one piece of pie or cake rather than a whole one. Taking your cake to the pot luck is a good idea. How often do you have pot lucks? I wrote down the authors you mentioned and will see if they are in our library. I am almost finished with my last book so will be going next week sometime.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #30  

GO TO #31