Old 07-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #16  
Thin Within

Talking Mainly Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I feel so much better this day and do believe my bout of whatever that bug was is over. I am not totally back to exact but it is probably that I haven't eaten much these last 3 days. I did show a 3 pound loss probably due to whatever. Surely not my program for things were all topsy turvey but I'll take it and go from here. I am sucking on some gatorade and coffee this morning and will decide what low fat thing I can eat in a bit. I did eat one of Burger Kings kids burgers without any sauce on it for dinner and it didn't go right through me which is a good sign. I do have to injest a lot of liquids this day to replace what I need. Will bought me a bunch of the smaller bottles of gatorade so I will drink at least one a day of them. Good source of potassium for my electirc lights. I slept so much better last night, not up every half hour. Ragg Mopp is at the groomer and will get a nice trim and bath. I am so glad he loves his groomer and just stands nice and still while she trims him. He missis our guest while he is gone to a different part of the state for a couple of days. Ole Ragg disappeared off the foot of our bed during the night and I can imagine he was downstairs sleeping on JD's bed. It is supposed to get to 107 here this day and it is gonna do it for it is already and climbing. Our "feels like" is set at 110. We are stuck in a heat wave is seems. Maybe now that I feel better I can cook something in my new rotisserie. All I have done with it so far is unpack it and there it sits waiting for me. Waiting to show me how well it can cook for me some low fat yummy goodies.

SUSAN Sketchers are not for us flat feet folks. I do wish I could wear them but, alas, I was born with flat feet and now I wear SAS most days. I do have some Bass sandals that work if I don't wear them all day but they look nice with my long skirts and more dressy then my SAS.

JEAN That was quite the storm that hit the lake area. I am glad it didn't take your cabin along with it. I got a laugh about your Cheesy Rider ~ no telling how he got that nick name but I bet it is a neat story. So you are now feeling your age ~ you can still do the same things but in different incriments. That's how it works ~ take it from someone with experience.

DONNA FAYE Please do speak with your doc about that swelling because it is hard on the hearts of us overweight folks. Susan speaks the truth. Surely there is a med you can take that will be as good for your condition instead of the one that causes that swelling.

OK Magnolias, It is time for me to go get some lunch. Type at y'all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #17  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun has disappeared and the clouds are moving in. I'm not sure what the weather forecast is. We opted not to go to Ian's game yesterday since their weather was so "iffy" and we have to drive 2 1/2 hours. Their weather ended up being fine and they had their game. Ian struck out the first time at bat and then hit the next two times. We plan to go Wed. night instead.

We have a resident skunk living under the deck! Bob put a small solar light on each of the corner posts, more for looks than light. Anyhow, night before last Ernie was pacing around and meowing by the door so Bob got up to look; a black and white animal (skunk) was out in the yard. Yesterday Bob checked and there were several holes in the rocks around the deck; he pushed all of the rocks back into place. We know the baby bunny was living under there but we haven't seen him for several days. Sure enough, last night as soon as it was almost dark, we could hear rocks being moved and the skunk dug his way out. Bob isn't sure what his next move will be and hoping there aren't babies under there. Evidently there have been a lot of baby skunk sightings in town during the day light hours. That kind of excitement we can do without!

Susan -- I saw Sketchers in the Sunday ads for $89, regularly $109. I know the local shoe store carries them but haven't checked their price. I think I might try a pair. I'm sending cooler weather your way!

Maggie -- I'm glad you are feeling better! I hope your weather cools off soon. Actually I think I was more tired from being out in the fresh air all day than picking up the branches and twigs around the cabin. I wasn't at all sore the next morning. I'm pretty careful when it comes to lifting anything heavy because I've done the hurtin' back routine and it's not fun at all.

"Gma" -- Where are you this morning? Packing?

Guess I will get busy and chase some dust/fur bunnies around. Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-20-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #18  

Good morning, ladies!

We had a much needed inch of rain yesterday. Hardly enough but at least some. I just don't want to rain from hurricanes.

Jean - Skunks! Around my area many are rabid. I hope they don't decide to perfume the area. I paid $55 for my Sketchers. It was a new store opening door buster.

Maggie, so glad your are almost back to normal. I can't wait to hear about your adventures with the rotarisse.

I got the WW newsletter in my email yesterday and they had a list of recipes. I made the Potato and Green Bean Salad and it was so good. I'll be making it again!

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #19  

Good morning ladies. I actually went back to bed for awhile this morning after Jack left. I had kind of a rough night last night again so decided just to snooze a bit. I then got up and read all the news online as I do every morning, checked the obituaries to see if I was there... and am getting ready to go upstairs and clean the upstairs. I imagine I will do all the upstairs except for vacuuming and run the vacuuming tomorrow morning while Jack is out getting his hair cut.

I have my huge what to pack list going so I don't forget anything. The seats at Wrigley field are much narrower than any other ballpark because frankly they are old and the ballpark is ancient. Don't get me wrong, I would never want them to tear down Wrigley and build a new one, but it definitely is not enjoyable for a fat person. I am taking my stadium seat cushion to sit on and hopefully that will put me up enough so that the seat arms don't dig in as much. It is what it is and even dieting there was no way I was going to be at a size that would be comfortable so I will just deal with it. We are also in the nose bleed seats so the climb is going to be hard for me. They use ramps and not stairs but it still is going to take me awhile. My knee really complains when I have to climb. All of this for a team that is playing horribly!

Jean: Our skunks here are rabid for the most part too. Living in such a small town do you have an animal control that can come out and catch it? You don't want Ernie to get bit by the darn thing if it is sick. I feel for you. Yeah for Ian!!! Maybe we should recruit him to the Cubs. He might improve our hitting! lol

Susan: My grandma used to cook ham with new potatos and green beans and I loved it. Jack wouldn't eat that combination though so there is no sense in making it. Is this a cold salad or a hot one?

So much to do in one short day. I am not as organized this time as I usually am though most if not all of the bags and such are out of the attic. I have a lot of laundry to catch up on today then since Jack is off tomorrow we will pack tomorrow and pack up the car sometime during the day. We have to get that bicycle in the car and lay it on its side and not crack the Spiderman panel on the front. We sat it up when we picked it up from Walmarts but it rolled back and forth the whole time. We might be able to wedge the bags around it and keep it in an upright position so we will just have to work on it I guess.

Everyone have a good day! If I am not in here tomorrow, I will talk to you again on Sunday! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 07-20-2010 at 11:41 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #20  

Susan -- You got a good deal on your Sketchers! The potato and green bean salad recipe sounds good. What else is in it?

"Gma" -- I hope you are feeling better after a little more sleep this morning. We have the DNR but I don't know if they "do" skunks or not. I think the police will come out and shoot it, but I sure don't want that happening in my back yard! Bob visited with some retired guys this morning and they suggested poison, but we don't want to take a chance on somebody's pet, the squirrels, or rabbits getting into it either. Have a wonderful trip! I hope the Cubs win their game for you!

Last edited by Jean; 07-20-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #21  

Here's the recipe, ladies! Very simple and very good. Make it in the morning and let it marinate until dinner time, stirring it several times.

Potato and Green Bean Salad

side dishes

POINTSŪ Value: 3
Servings: 6
Preparation Time: 17 min
Cooking Time: 11 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

This is no ordinary potato salad: Buttery fingerling potatoes and crisp green beans are coated with a fresh herb sauce instead of mayonnaise.

Ingredients

24 oz potato(es), fingerling variety, scrubbed, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
8 oz green snap beans, stem ends trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
6 Tbsp fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup(s) shallot(s), finely chopped
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
3 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
3 Tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
3 Tbsp dill, fresh, chopped
3 Tbsp chives, fresh, chopped

Instructions
Put potatoes into a large pot. Fill pot halfway up with water; bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until almost tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add green beans and cook until potatoes are tender and green beans are crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain again.

Meanwhile, to make dressing, in a large serving bowl, whisk together broth, shallots, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Drizzle in oil, whisking, until blended; stir in tarragon, dill and chives.

Add potatoes and green beans to bowl; toss gently, taking care not to break up potatoes, until mixed and coated with dressing. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

Notes
You can cover and refrigerate the potato salad for up to 1 day.

You can replace the tarragon, chives and dill with your favorite herbs or whatever you may have growing in the garden.

Faye, Have a safe trip!

Jean, here's some tips for you!

Tips for Getting Rid of Skunk
Skunks are nocturnal and stay hidden during the day time. Thus, flooding an area with light can potentially help in keeping them away.
You can use automated sprinklers to get rid of skunks. These sprinklers automatically spray on any animals, which they sense roaming in your ward.
Pepper spray is another tool that can be used to keep skunks at bay. They are effective but require reapplication every few days.
Apart from this, there are a number of commercial repellants available in the market that can be used to eliminate skunks.
You can even use skunk traps to capture them and finally take them away from your house. However, this requires dexterity and caution.
Locate the hole or opening it uses to get into the house. Fill it up with mud and leaves so that it is not able to come to your place.
However, while stuffing its dwelling, make sure you do not trap the skunk there permanently as it will fill your place with stench.
Grabbing a good opportunity, when the skunk is away, place ammonia soaked rags near or inside its burrow.
You can even use moth balls to repel the skunks, but make sure they remain out of the reach of your pets and children.
If still the problem persists, you can definitely take professional help. This means that professional skunk trappers are always available to relieve from your worries.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 07-20-2010 at 05:06 PM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #22  

Susan -- Thanks for the recipe AND skunk tips -- I'm printing them off as I type.