Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #14

Good Morning, Flowers! It is dark, gloomy, and snowing in my corner of the world this morning. The ground was covered in less than a half hour so guess the weatherman was right again. The puddle in the basement was larger this morning so I will be on vacuum detail more today. I was hoping we would luck out and not have water this spring; that was silly of me. I need to address a couple of church birthday cards, dust, and vacuum sometime today.

Maggie -- From your description it sounds like you have a really BIG house! Most of the older houses here have had water in the basement at one time or another. New houses are supposedly being built with super duper tiling systems. Our house was built in 1963 and has tile underneath the basement floor which drains into the sump pumps. Over time the tiles crack and/or fill in with dirt so plug up and don't work. We are lucky in that we don't have standing water as long as the electricity is on and the pumps work. If I would ever build a house or move into another one here, I would prefer not to have a basement.

Susan -- I've often suggested counting our animals on our tax returns! Most of them have had people names so who would know? Ernie hasn't been too expensive at the vet yet, but 'Mom' had allergies of some sort and we took her in for shots whenever she started scratching. Our census form just had us list the names of people living in the house but no other information. I know there was an ad in the paper for census workers, but I sure wouldn't want to knock on doors in some parts of this town.

"Gma" -- Good luck today! Will Fortune miss Marty or enjoy the peace and quiet once again? I hope your commissary jaunt goes quickly this time!

I'm off to get my 'work' day started. I hope you all have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a cold windy day here in the Heartland. Even though I am glad the roof guys are working. Hopefully they will be all through by the time there is a planned wedding doings going on there. It should be though. Always something to think about. I did typing for Will yesterday so had a break from my glass works as planned. I am going to cut out a pattern this day and plan my next building. I can hear the wind and it sounds fierce. It whips around the yard and deposits "stuff." One time it even deposited a ten dollar bill. I like it when that happens. When the wind does blow here it sure makes things look nice and clean ~ after folks pick up the junk in thier yards and most are really good about that. Pot luck is Sunday and one of the little girls asked me what I was bringing and I just said, "How about hot dogs?" She was so jazzed and said "Don't forget the catsup and mustard." Well I guess it is going to be hot dogs that we take and that will surely be a hit with all the kids and some adults also. I'll take chopped onions, sweet and dill relish, catsup, mustard and buns along with a crock pot full of bun length dogs. Never done that before but it sure sounds easy to me and I know one little girl that will be totally jazzed. I'll take a salad and desert also (WW kind).

DONNA FAYE Hope it all turns out well with you at the clinic. That is so neat that the kids had such a good vacation. I love it when a plan comes together for folks. And they know that their little pooch was well taken care of. It is so much better leaving them with family when at all possible,

JEAN This is a huge place built for folks with lots of kids. It was built sometime in the 70's. I am so glad that it has a huge back yard and big front yard also. Of course I am not the one that has to mow it though. Our garden is going to be awesome in size. We looked for my herbs yesterday and they will be in the nurserys soon. I have a shelf over the kitchen sink which is in front of a window and can install a grow light there also. The window is facing the covered patio and will need a grow light at times.

Well it is time to see what I can round up for lunch. Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #3  

Evening gals. I may not get in here in the morning so I wanted to update you on dr appt. My surgery is scheduled for the 13th. She is going to put me out for the procedure because I requested it. I told her I didn't really want to hear them discuss what they were finding. I would rather wait until the lab reports come back. At least I can go to Atlanta and not be uncomfortable. She said I could have bleeding up to two weeks afterward so with the fact she only does surgery on Tuesdays and is booked up we went with the 13th.

Jean: I am so sorry it is snowing at your house. It is upper 70's here today and we even cooked out tonight which was really nice. Jack is watching Mempis basketball in the NIT tournament so I thought I would post this evening. It is supposed to get cold here on Sunday but nice again tomorrow so I will take it when we can get it.

Maggie: Kelly posted a cute picture of her with a head lamp on. They were going into a cave and she looked like a mad doctor! They will pull back into port tomorrow morning so she will give me a call and we will just take the dog back to their house and drop him off sometime tomorrow afternoon. I don't think Fortune will miss Marty as he is too jealous of the attention I give Marty. I am glad I don't have two dogs as they would drive me totally bonkers!

Jack had an hour and a half therapy today and I sat in the waiting room and read a book. They worked him pretty hard so his knee is sore. He came out and it was all bright pink but he said they had iced it down so that was why it was so pink. He says he isn't sure it is helping any, but it isn't hurting it. He did get a surprise before he left work. He got nominated and voted in as employee of the month for April. He is really tickled about it as he argues with people a lot. He said he gets irritated when the foremen want to cut corners or don't make their people do the work properly and so he speaks up so he figured he would never make employee of the month. He razzed the guys that have got it in the past so he will have to put up with razzing next month I imagine.

Well girls, I am so very tired I am going to sit in the recliner and finish my book. I still haven't felt up to knitting yet. Have a good evening and good day tomorrow.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies!. Another 75 degree day in the works. Hopefully it will dry up some of the water. My backyard is still squishy to walk on.

I just got back from my WW meeting and I'm down .6 this week. Slow as a turtle but steady. Last night was the movie lock in at the quilt shop and Glory and I stopped at the Crab Shack for our usual talapia sandwich and coleslaw. This afternoon we are going to a quilt show and British high tea at one of the local churchs. I'm quit looking forward to that but it probably won't be points friendly so I'm glad my WAPs reset today.

Faye. It sounds like you should be tip top by May 1. I know you'll be glad to have all that behind you. Congratulations to Jack!

Jean, around here all the houses are on slabs. Water table is too high for basements. Sorry about the snow. My daffodils are blooming and the tulips are getting ready.

Maggie. All the kids will be in love with you for providing hot dogs.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #5  

Good Morning and Happy Spring, Flowers! The sun is shining but it is windy and cold -- snow from yesterday is still covering the ground. The basement puddle was smaller this morning so that is good; there is no rain predicted for this week so maybe we will dry up yet.

Maggie -- When our kids were little I always took hot dogs to pot lucks at church, school, scouts, wherever. I never had to worry about leftovers that's for sure! I know it's been said that if we knew what all was in a hot dog we would never eat them, but I do like a 'good' hot dog once in awhile. It is windy here today too. It makes it seem so much colder outside.

"Gma" -- Congratulations to Jack on being name Employee of the Month! I hope his knee continues to improve. I'm glad you got your surgery date set. April will be here before you know it. The time sure flies by in a hurry.

I have kitchen counters to clear off again or yet, I should say. I need to get in gear because Bob mentioned checking on the cabin this afternoon. There could be some major flooding up there the next few days. We got hit in '93, and there is nothing we can do but watch the water rise. It's not from the lake itself, it comes from MN down a creek which picks up farm ground water, and then makes its way to a smaller creek behind the cabin, and eventually makes it to the lake a few blocks beyond us.

Hope you all have a nice weekend and do something for yourself that you enjoy.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the Heartland. Got lots of snow yesterday and through the night and it is leaving now. I got 3 buildings cut out yesterday. A victorian one, a dog house and a quilt shop. I sure hope the ladies I am making them for will like them. I will do some work on them today. Speaking of hot dogs ~ there is a place here in this burg that sells Chicago Dogs. Well if they make them like this in Chicago that is a good thing for they are tasty. They toast the bun and put sliced tomatoes and sliced onions and pickles in it along with a grilled dog served with a couple peppers. I had mine with "lite on the mustard please." I like mustard but don't like my dog swiming in it. I made some really tasty baked apples yesterday which I got the recipe from on a WW flyer. If anyone wants the recipe I will post it. They were good with the baked pork chops I made for dinner along with a rice mixture I made up at Christmas time to put in jars for give away. I made up a big container of it for use here at home because we like it a lot and it is easy on the points. OH the wind does blow. I can hear it howling and am so glad I don't have to be "out in it." I wonder how cold it will be in the church building tomorrow since the furnace is not working properly and the parts to fix it are on order. The "furnace man" will be back as soon as the parts arrive. Burrr. At least the one in the basement where the kitchen area is and where we have pot lucks has a different heating arrangement so it will be warm down there. The downstairs there is almost as big as the church building upstairs. Room for many tables from which to eat and a large area for a ping pong table to remain standing which the college kids love to play while we are getting the food set up. Anyway, it will be warm down there.

DONNA FAYE So your kids went spelunking. I like doing that but Will does not like it. I have been places he will never see. You will be right as rain come time for your trip. It is a good idea to be put out if you don't want to hear the folks talking over you while they are working on you. If I were awake I might start laughing because they are quite funny sometimes when they are working on someone.

JEAN It is good you don't have any standing water in your basement. I am with you ~ I prefer a ranch style house with no basement. I don't go down there here. Nothing for me to go there for and I don't do stairs well with this bum leg of mine. I snake down then one step at a time sideways. I am just so thankful that this one here doesn't get water in it though.

SUSAN CONGRATS on your weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race. OOOO British High Tea. Ta DA. Those are so fun to attend. I haven't been to one since being here. Wonder if anyone even does them here. Nope, haven't found any gathering of glass folks. I do believe I am the only one in this whole area that does glass work.

GLORIA & GAIL Sure hope all is going well with you. Been awhile.

Everyone have a lovely weekend and stay warm. Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #7  

Susan -- I noticed that we posted a minute apart . . . you are faster than I am! Congrats on your loss this morning! I know you will enjoy the quilt show and high tea this afternoon. I have never been to a high tea, but it sounds like fun.

Maggie -- It sounds like winter has returned to your neighborhood for the time being. Our church had heating troubles this winter and there were several Sundays where we left our coats on. We have 3 furnaces and they took turns shutting off when they should have all be on. I would really like to have my laundry room on the main floor but I want a room large enough that I can hang a few clothes and leave the ironing board up. Our bedrooms are upstairs and I really don't mind that part. We actually have 4 levels but only a few steps between each.

Guess I will go see was is on the TV tonight. I know there is basketball because Bob has been watching the tournaments for a few days. Have a nice evening!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all! It is raining and chilly here this morning. We are supposed to have a couple cooler days than back into the 60's. It was 73 here yesterday and beautiful. We had running around to do and took Marty back home last evening.

Thomas brought me my fridge magnet from Belize. It has a little map of Belize, some sand from their beach and a thermometer. Kelly and Tom brought me some little jars of jalapeno jelly and bottles of habanero hot sauce in three flavors in this darling little Mexican bag. I love to put hot sauce on my eggs and can now do some chicken wings with sauce on them. The professional pics they did this time are just adorable. Thomas had one taken when his parents weren't with him and he is standing in a tux with a black bowtie with white dots with his hand in his left pocket. I said he looked like 007 standing there all grown up. There is this cute one of the three of them in cruise clothing on the floor together and Tom's face is sun burnt. They all got sunburned even with sunblock, but they had a wonderful time.

Susan: Congrat on the loss ! Easy peasy is the way to go. We have only been to Joes Crab Shack (a chain restaurant here in town) once. I do like a nice talapia, but have never had it in a sandwich. I dream of one day taking a trip to Ireland, Scotland and Britain and having high tea in the hotel there in London. We had a British style tea at a missionary's convention several years ago and I enjoyed it. The church member putting it on was British and did a great job.

Jean: N Iowa won last night and I was so excited for them beating #1 ranked Kansas to boot. Jack said he bet Bob watched and I said I didn't think Bob was much of a sports watcher and he said he was sure he would have watched that game. My favorite though is the little St Mary's team. They play basketball together so well that I have never seen anything like it. I actually dislike basketball, but Jack love the tournament time so I kind of get drawn into it.

Maggie: I lovvvvvvveeeeee hot dogs, especially the natural casing kind. I grew up on them and still love them. They are not weight loss friendly little things and for me, one is just not enough. I am a mustard, relish, and onion gal. Of course, living close to Chicago and going there I know the Chicago dog. Did yours have celery salt? A true Chicago dog should be mustard on the bun, the hot dog, a spear of pickle, a pepper, celery salt and two chunks of tomato.

We trek out to the commissary today. I sure hope they aren't busy. I just want to get in and out and get back home. I have so much housecleaning to do. My house is so dirty it is going to lock itself up if I don't clean it. I tried a couple times to do my cleaning and Marty was so underfoot he even tripped me once and I pulled my back and shoulder a bit so I gave up.

I should go gals and maybe get me a bite of breakfast. You gals have a wonderful Sunday today! Faye
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! I've been to early church, the grocery store, and now am ready to start working on the laundry while Bob sings at second service. The basement puddle has disappeared so if we don't get any more rain we might just have a dry basement again. The sun is shining but it's only 36 degrees outside. I think we will grill for lunch!

"Gma" -- Bob did watch the game last night. Actually he has watched quite a few of the games this past week. I enjoy basketball because I understand it for the most part. Bob really wanted to see the Kentucky game but we couldn't get it here. He thinks if the game would have lasted much longer IA would have lost, but he's hoping they will have good luck and keep winning. Bob will watch football and golf if nothing else is on, but he really doesn't have any favorite teams that he follows. MIL was a huge golf fan so she always had it on her TV. I personally think watching golf is like watching paint dry! I thought you were doing your commissary dance yesterday. I hope it wasn't busy today and you were done in short order.

Hope you all have sunshine sometime today and enjoy your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #10  

Good morning gals. Another wet and cold day today. Jack left for work and I went back to bed for a bit and the phone rang about 5 minutes later and he said his tire was flat on his car so we changed out the cars and he took the Mariner so I will have to do errands when he gets home I guess.

Susan: I decided not to waste space since you were the only one who posted after I posted the pic so I am going to post on it instead. I buy Eckrich ff hot dogs at the commissary when I can find them, but I try to just not have them except as a treat somewhere once in awhile as I would kind of binge on them I think. I really have to try and adjust my eating and work hard on limiting sugar and stuff, which will be very hard for me, but I gave up regular soda almost a year ago now so I can do it if I work at it. I have to eat more veggies than I do and more fiber too, but I really hate dry whole wheat breads and foods like that so I tend to buy it and let it get old. Anyway, I just have to work at it, one thing a little at a time until it becomes normal for me.

Jean: We will sunny warm up days starting again tomorrow and I am well ready for it. We are keeping our fingers crossed for N Iowa and St Mary's to go to the final four. I sat and watched hours of it with Jack yesterday but I really don't even like basketball. Glad your basement is drying out again. With that happening on and off do you have trouble with mildew at all? We went to the commissary first thing yesterday because I ended up having too much to get done on Saturday. It was really nice as we went right after they opened and it was nice and quiet and we zipped right through. The only thing was the guy put us in the express lane because it was raining hard and so they hadn't brought in but 3 checkers. Well express doesn't take your groceries out to your car we found out and it made Jack mad so he wouldn't tip the person because he had to take his own groceries out and unload them. I had even driven up under the port cochere they have so the person wouldn't get wet when they put them in. I got soaked going to the car though. Anyway, we now have groceries again. Tonight is lasagna night, but ww friendly not regular.

I thought you might like to see my sweet boy and his parents all dressed up on the ship adn the other one is just a fun pose but if you look close you will see all three got sunburned at the beack in Cozymel. I ask his mom what I could get him that wasn't candy for Easter since he gets so much and she said he wants a tie rack. I guess Nonny will be buying him a tie rack for Easter!.

Guess I better either go back to bed for an hour or so (I didn't get to sleep until 1 or so because I had a bad case of heartburn which I get every once in awhile) and I am still sleepy a bit then it is cleaning, cleaning, cleaning until I get some of it caught up. Have a good start to the week all! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flemings.jpg (31.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 24380_379567732185_698722185_4338219_6324982_n.jpg (24.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by gma22; 03-22-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #11  

Good evening, ladies! We had another lovely day in the 70s but it's looking like rain and cooler weather next week.

I went to early church, had a 30 minute walk this afternoon and quilted the rest of the day. Nothing exciting, but still a nice day. I've added 500 more steps to my day this week.

Faye, T is getting so tall! What a nice picture. I hope the trip to the commissary wasn't too nerve racking. There are some Oscar Mayer all beef fat free hotdogs that are only 1 point and taste good. I put them on a light wheat bun for another point and I can have 2 for 4 points if I'm really hungry.

Jean, my laundry is on the second floor. We bought of townhouse before it was built and the builder was amendable to making a change. The upstairs was to have 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and we thought that was really overkill so we had the 2 smaller bedrooms share a bath and the third we had made into the laundry. Just a few kitchen things to carry up and down the stairs and the main laundry where the dirty clothes are. My ironing board is set up permanently in my quilting room and I have another downstairs in case I want to iron fabric or press blocks, etc. while I'm watching tv. Since we did away with the first floor laundry room, we got a bigger kitchen.

Maggie, how was the pot luck today? I'll bet you didn't have any hotdogs to take home. I wonder who you could be making those houses for...anyone we know? Guess I better get quilting faster.

Have a good evening!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and it's supposed to be another 50+ degree day in my neighborhood. My kitchen counters need attention and the dust/fur bunnies are multiplying again. This morning Bob is goining for an x-ray and doctors appt. for his shoulder. He has mentioned for some time that it bothers him to sleep on that side; I've suggested going to have it checked but he always said he didn't have time. Yesterday he finally was able to dig out the Christmas lights, Santa, and trees, from the snow pile. He stores them above the garage by using a pull down ladder; short version of the story is he slipped on the ladder and rammed his shoulder a good one. He said it "crunched!" I knew he was hurting when he asked for ice and started taking the extra strength Tylenol.

"Gma" -- At first I thought I was in the wrong # thread when I read your post. I thought Jack was going to work on Sunday! I buy Sara Lee whole wheat bread and like it much better than the ww Wonder bread. The slices are thicker but still 1 point. I use just a tad of margarine because I don't like dry bread/toast either. We do get some mold after having a wet basement. We use bleach to clean it off and then Bob has a paint sealer especially for damp basements. It's only an inch or less at floor level so not bad. We only have basement under half the house so that helps too. Thank you for sharing the pictures! T looks so grown up in his tux! They are a nice looking family and you can be proud of them. Is there red hair on your side of the family?

Susan -- I think putting the laundry room close to the bedrooms is a smart idea! One of our teachers redesigned her house to do that too. I hate doing laundry in the basement but really have no other choice unless we would do a HUGE remodel/add on another hunk job. At this stage in my life I don't want to go through that mess again. Congrats on your walk! I haven't been able to set my pedometer; I should get it out and try again. I know I would have lots more steps if I were still in school.

I need to finish my last load of laundry and do some much needed dusting. I love the sunshine but the dust on furniture sure shows up! Enjoy your day!

Jean -- and in sunny Iowa!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #13  

Good afternoon, ladies. A rainy day in the low 60s. No walk today. I'm having a lot of breathing difficulty today. I think I mentioned before that the doctor though it might be because when it rains it stirs up mold spores into the air and I'm allergic to mold which I have been for many years. If I don't start feeling better quickly, I don't think I'll be going to bible study tonight.

Jean, I wonder what the doctor will say about Jack's shoulder. I've had 4 friends have shoulder surgery in the last few months. My shoulder hurts if I sleep on the right side and my knees and hips but as soon as I get up, everything is okay so I'm not going to tell the doctor unless it gets worse. I just need to sleep on my back.

Faye, I'd probably drop over in a dead faint if anyone offered to take my groceries to the car. How is Jack's knee doing? T really is growing up when he asks for a tie rack.

Hi, Maggie.

Have a good day, I'm off to quilt a little.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is playing hide 'n seek with the clouds this morning. I tried to chunk away some of the snow pile in front of the house and it is frozen solid yet. There are still huge piles in parking lots around town. The robins are back so spring must be here.

Susan -- I hope you are breathing easier and were able to go to your Bible study last night. Bob had an x-ray, saw the family doctor, then back for and MRI to see if he tore/broke anything. He has an appointment with an orthopedic doctor April 13th. The doctor did say that he didn't think anything was torn or broken but only an MRI would show that. Bob feels better but is still sore when he raises his arm. I have my fingers crossed because April/May is opening the cabin projects that he has to do just because we live here.

I need to get dressed and get going. I have a couple errands to do that I didn't get done yesterday so that's my plan for this morning.

Wishing you all a terrific Tuesday today! Remember to !

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all! It is cool this morning but sunny and supposed to warm right up.

Susan: Jack has another therapy appt with his knee today, but he says it isn't doing much to help. It hurt him so much on Sunday he actually pulled over in the Kmart parking lot and asked me to drive home from the commissary. He said it hurt a lot yesterday, but he is a real trooper and basically ignores the pain. The bad thing is he will have to get down on it to change out the tire on the grand marquis because I sure can't do it and I need the Mariner this week sometime. Hope your breathing is better today. I can truly not imagine what it must be like not to be able to draw deep breaths when you feel you need air.

Jean: Kelly says they bought t his tux for Christmas and he bought 5 pair of cuff links while on the cruise. I ask him if he was planning on putting a hole through his wrists so he could wear them because they don't go to church. They do several fancy charity events a year though so I imagine that is where he will use them. As for the tie rack, he taught himself to tie a bow tie so I imagine that he is going to want to buy different bow ties now. I may look and find him a cool one for Easter to go with the tie rack. My grandpa took one of the upstairs bedrooms and converted it into a laundry room when grandma got up in years as her washer and dryer were in the basement. He built the house for her in 1955 or so and put in a laundry shoot in the bathroom so she didn't ever have to carry laundry down the stairs it went straight to the basement.

I called and made my pre-admission appt this morning so I go on Monday and get my chest xray, ekg, and blood tests done. They always have trouble finding my veins so that will be fun. I just want the whole darn thing to be over with. Bless her heart, Kelly offered to keep Fortune for a couple days after my procedure so he wouldn't jump on my stomach or try and lay on it when I am sitting down. I think we will wait and see how it goes to see if I need them to do that.

I did get my downstairs cleaned and when I finish here will tackle the upstairs bathrooms. I imagine I will go with Jack to his appt so I need to get a move on. You ladies have a wonderful day! Faye