Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #16  

Just checking in because I don't feel like going back out in the garage, there is nothing on TV, and I am home alone with Ernie. He's sleeping so not much of a conversationalist right now! Bob went to check his "to do" pile on his desk since he was farming all day.

Susan -- You are wise to get your Challenge projects done before the event since you will have last minute things to attend to. It's good to have an organized committee. Bob was watching the weather channel and the lady was saying that we will have fewer tornadoes this summer which has to do with the way the wind and rain work up here, I guess. She also said we will be cooler and dryer than normal, which isn't good.

"Gma" -- I'm glad your family is ok in D.C.! Any more I question whether I really want to be where there are a lot of tourists or big crowds. I never used to give that a thought.

Maggie -- Glad to hear your pearly whites are in good shape! I like Bisquick and used to make a dish that was eggs, bacon or sausage, onion, and cheese baked in a pie plate. I haven't made that for years; I'll have to look for the recipe. I'm still working on the garage junk. I found a bunch of papers, files, etc., from when I changed rooms a few years ago. I never missed the stuff so tossed it all! Underneath "my" work bench is a cedar chest full of square dance outfits that belonged to Bob's parents. They are going as soon as I can get him to pull the chest out. His dad made the chest in high school so may hang on to that for awhile yet. As far as I know we will be home in September. Bob is hoping for some nice Indian summer days to work on replacing a window or two at the cabin, but don't think I have to help.

Guess I will go read for awhile. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 06-10-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 AM   #17  

Good morning gals. I have been up and down with Jack. Poor thing is pretty sick this time. It came on so darn fast. He has a scratchy throat and came home from work on Tuesday then by yesterday morning it was full on sore throat, stuffy head, coughing the whole nine yards. He couldn't get into the doctor until tomorrow so he has to suffer unless it gets worse than it is and I will just take him to emergency. He sounds awful and he says he feels the same way. He had to sleep sitting propped up in bed with pillows to breathe properly. He is taking Nyquil and drinking my sore throat brew, but he is pretty miserable until tomorrow afternoon.

Jean: I talked to the kids yesterday afternoon to tell Jackson happy birthday. He told me he is "2!" His mom told me to sing him happy birthday because he gets all excited, so I did and I could hear him in the background. I then talked to Thomas and he told me they were in Mt Vernon yesterday all day and when I called they were at a Chinese restaurant eating sushi and low mein. After Kelly called, I turned on MSNBC and watched what the fuss was about and saw at the bottom ticker that some kid at some college here in the states had gotten arrested for terrorism for passing information and pictures of landmarks to terrorists. Everytime we go somewhere famous I think about that stuff.

Maggie: I like the lowfat bisquick too though I make my biscuits from scratch as they are lower points. Jack is not a pancake fan so I don't use it all that much.

Well, I am going to get into the recliner and go back to sleep. Have a good Thursday all.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #18  

Good morning, ladies! Can you say more rain! I'm tired of it. It's hot and humid and the humidity is making it hard to breath so I'll have to stay inside. Fogged in this morning.

I live with swarms of tourists all around me, but I'm a bigger target because the biggest naval base in the US sits here and NATO hq, Air Force is 2 miles from my back door, and the US Army is 5 miles in 1 direction and 11 in the other (2 bases). Plus there is a huge shipping terminal and the ship building company that builds subs for the Navy, carriers, etc, and a nuclear power plant is 2 miles from where I work. I figure I'm not going to live in fear and I'll continue to do what I want. The terrorists would love it if we all stayed huddled in fear in our homes.

Maggie, I always use LF Bisquick, too. I like those impossible quiches.

Jean, I never got into square dancing, but I have a quilting buddy that does it and she and her husband go to dances 6 nights a week!

Faye, I'm glad the kids are safe. I hope Jack has a speedy recovery, poor man.

Have a good day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I just got home from a "Prime Time" day at the middle school. You have to be 55 or older to attend; there are local businesses that set up display tables and all have a drawing prize as well as free pens, key chains, etc. I won a plant that is in a Storm Lake, Iowa, crock with a sailboat on it. Several people asked where I got it so they could ask where to buy a crock. We started out with a breakfast of fresh fruit and muffins, then broke into three sessions of our own choosing. I attended a session on making kaleidoscopes, one on how to decorate using items I already have -- this one didn't do much for me since the lady kept saying, "in a month take the arrangement of items apart and make something else!", and the best one was baking cookies! I didn't know that this time of year is the worst for making cookies because the flour absorbs moisture from the air, so recipes usually require more flour to be added. We got tiny samples which was fun. Then our dinner was turkey, new potatoes, 3 bean salad, fresh fruit, rolls, and bars. There was a couple who entertained with music while we ate. The afternoon session was a presenter from the state government on scams, identity theft, Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes, etc. Most of that stuff I already knew. It was fun for something different to do.

I finally called to make a doctor's appt. for my knee and can't get in until Monday . . . "unless it's an emergency." I've put up with it for 2 weeks so guess a few more days won't matter any.

"Gma" -- I'm so sorry that Jack is feeling so crappy! I hope the doctor can help him. I am just amazed at what Thomas will eat, and I think that's great. I hope he finds a wife who likes the same types of food.

Susan -- We are 2 1/2 hours from the Omaha AF base, about 6 hours from Rapid City, and an hour from the Sioux City Air Guard. The jets "play and practice" in our area quite often. I must say sometimes it makes me nervous -- more so at night than during the day. I agree with you about living in fear, and I just do my normal routine. I must admit when we fly that I always say a silent prayer.

Guess I will go get the mail and see if there is anything exciting. I have my bag of "goodies" from this morning to go through too. Have a nice "rest of the day" and a FANTASTIC Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #20  

Good morning gals. It is overcast here this morning and they are calling for thunderstorms but no relief from the heat that is for sure.

I have to go this morning and get my nails done and get some birthday and graduation (I have 2 this year)cards and I want to find a frame for a picture I ordered for Jack for Father's Day. It is of he and Jay at the ballpark when they went to see the Cubs play. I found the receipt after we came home from Indiana for the company that takes the shots and ordered an 8 x 10 of it for him for Father's day. I was going to get a Cubs frame but the darn things are $40 and that's ricidulous so I am going to try and find a blue or red frame for it.

We are having meat loaf and scalloped potato for dinner tonight. I started using the canned new potatoes and really like them a lot and they are fairly low in pts. The only fatty thing really is the tbl of butter I use for the roue. I use ground sirloin and bread crumbs and egg beaters and a bit of ketchup for the meatloaf. I found if I put just a bit in the mix then put it on top, you don't miss the extra I used to put in. I just make a 4 oz mini loaf for each of us.

Jean: The Navy has a retirement seminar out at the base every year and we always plan on attending then forget. I want to go this year when they have it and get all the info on Tricare for Life our Medicare supplement so we know well ahead of time what to do. Jack turns 60 in Oct so it won't be long before the government gets to rape us of our money on medicare. Sounds like you had a good time at the seniors thingy. Are you guys going to the lake this weekend? I know you are leaving for Minnesota next weekend so we won't hear from you for a bit.

Susan: We are always hearing rumblings about Fedex being hit, but it is all rumor and conjecture. I have always felt that you can't prevent something like this. You have to trust the powers that be and if it happens, it happens. When Jay was born, we lived right at the end of the landing strip at the base in Millington. Back then, the Navy jets would come to Memphis to practice from either Nas Jacksonville or NAS Oceana. I swear they flew so close to the roof of the house that if you stood on the roof you could touch the wing. My baby learned to live through that roar so he slept through anything. Every year they used to have an air show at Oceana and they did fly overs on the beach. We lived in base housing and you could stand upstairs and look out Jay's bedroom window and see them off down the beach doing stuff. Sometimes I do miss the military just a bit, but not much. I watch NCIS to help with any pangs! Love that show!

Jack has a doctor appt this afternoon so I hope they can fix him up and make him feel better. He has been sleeping propped up on pillows so he can breathe better. He is laying on the couch right now and snoozing on and off so I guess I better make him some breakfast.

Have a wonderful day! Oh, I am now officially 10% down in my total weight loss! Only 90% to still go!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote