Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Everyone is saying that their height made them distribute more evenly... I think I carry my weight pretty well, but I still don't distribute evenly!
At 175 at 5'10" I had a belly... quite a belly. And definite love handles. My mom was always grabbing my stomach and begging me to lose weight.I have really skinny legs, skinny arms... skinnier face.. even now I do! It all goes to my stomach! I weighed 160 once due to moving to a foreign country (diet change I guess) and even at 160 lb at 5'10" I had a belly!!! So I'm trying first to get back to my "fat" 175 and from there try to get down to 145, and then maybe finally I'll get rid of this belly, which is obviously NOT good for my internal organs, so I can be healthier.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #92  

Happy Good Friday, ladies!

Tomato, obviously your no calorie counting/balanced healthy diet has treated you well! I would LOVE to be at 160 right now (since we are the same height)! How long has it taken you to get this far? Sorry to hear about the plantar fasciitis. What are you able to do as far as exercise? I wish you a speedy recovery!

Megwini, I'm definitely beginning to acquire a stomach! When I was in my teens, and early 20s, I was proportionate for my height and my stomach was FLAT even though I was overweight. Now,..... umm not so much! My lower abs must have given up on me because there's bulge there! Muffin top, here I come! LOL!

So, today is definitely TGIF! I've already got my workout in for the day. This is day 19 of working out 5 days/week and eating right. Too bad it looks like rain is coming. But we need it here. I hope I can stay on track this weekend eating wise. When I'm off, I get the boredom munchies and before you know it, a whole box of Roasted Garlic Triscuits is gone! (They're really good topped with low-fat cottage cheese! ) Everyone have a Happy Easter weekend!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #93  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

So today one of my coworkers who is about 5'10" and wears a size 18/20, and who's been asking me all sorts of questions about my low-carb lifestyle and giving me a lot of compliments for the last 5-6 months, asked me how much I weigh.

She was very nice about it, and I could tell she really wanted to know my high weight and how much I've lost, not to be nosy, but because she was trying to get an idea of how much she needs to lose.

I gave her all three numbers (high weight 360, lost around 100 lbs, current weight around 260 give or take)and she almost fainted.

She thought we weighed about the same, or she weighed slightly more, because she was taller than me and we wear the same size. However I outweigh her by more than 50 lbs. She is very squishy and out-of-shape. I'm really overweight of course but I also have lots of muscle and good muscle tone. And I am big-boned, with huge hands and feet, really long arms and legs, etc.

She said she thought I weighed around 200 lbs. And you know, the more I think about it, I'm actually not that much larger right now than I was the last time I weighed 200 lbs ~ I'm maybe a size or half a size larger.

I've always been surprisingly heavy for my size (being taller helps) but wonder if it's possible to have gained 40 lbs of muscle from working out for 3 months in 2004 then again for the last 2 months ~ plus from doing more lifting overall since the last time I was this size...it seems unlikely but that's the only explanation I can come up with to be this relatively "small" at this high of a weight.

Any ideas, fellow tall gals? (Do any of y'all remember the Tall Galls shoe catalogue from the 80s? It was always an exciting day when it arrived in the mail!)
Old 04-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

Good morning everyone! I've been doing wonderfully if i do say so myself. Ate an easter dinner yesterday where I avoided the potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, cheesy anything, bread, chocolate, cool whip, and other desserts. How's that for impressive! I was super exciting and got myself a second helping of vegetables. Wild woman - i know. Going to be working on my isometrics today a couple times. no spinning because i have a cold and it's hindered my ability to breath. Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

Megwini, It's always interesting to see how it all distributes on different bodies. Again, i carry my weight well but I'm the reverse of you. It's not in my upper body but in bum and hips. So where I'm a medium top and hoping i don't shrink any more than that, i have 44" hips. I'm aiming for 160 lbs but have no idea what I'll even look like at that point. It's an adventure!

sjd, mmm, triscuits. Really good with laughing cow cheese. um ya... i think the whole cracker stigma has stuck now because there's a box of stale triscuits in my cupboard. Big difference from when i was younger and they'd be gone within 2 days (because 1 day would be too obvious to others. lol) WTG on the workouts woman! just rocking it!

DCHound, it's kind of nice knowing that you've just inspired someone to be healthier isn't it. About the muscle gain... i'm not totally sure so someone can certainly correct me but I was told that you can gain muscle at a rate of about 1/4 lb a week. So gaining 40 lbs of muscle would take a considerably long time. Like I've already been going on about, caliper test baby! lol that clears things up!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #95  

Hi

I am 5 11 and yes you can carry more weight fortunately, so height is definitely a blessing as far as looks are concerned, as far as health is concerned my lower back tells me weights gotta come off.

Marell
Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #96  

Good morning all! Hope everyone had a happy Easter!

So, back to the normal routine. I already got my workout in for the day. I helped some friends move into their new home this weekend and they both said that something was "different" about me. I'm like what in the world could it be??? They both said they noticed that I've lost weight... Well, I did wear a pair of jeans that used to be close to second skin and now they were a lil' baggy in the butt....

This is day 22 of working out and eating right consistently. Is it safe to say that it's become a habit (since I'm past the 21 day mark)? I guess it's getting a little easier (using the term easier very loosely).

How's everyone doing????
Old 04-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #97  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

Hello Tall Girls! It's so awesome to see everyone

I am 6'2" ---- for years i thought i was 6' then i was measured by my back surgeon. Seems i was taller than i thought.

Peeves --- Do you play basketball? (do i look like i'm running around alot.. i weight 270!) Finding shoes. Finding long pants.

Other than that i love it. I had a really hard time picking a target weight. I've always been a big girl but have gotten a LOT bigger in the last 15 years or so. I can vaguely remember being about 210. I was a senior in highschool. I didn't have a tummy roll then and that would be awesome to achieve again

I usually wear skirts so jean length isn't an issue until the short winter months here.

My thoughts are a bit scattered today. I feel like pigging out for some reason. Well, that reason would be hubby quitting smoking and he's about to do me in with his withdrawls. I'm staying strong though

I hope this thread stays active. Speaking of active, i would love to start working out but can't find the motivation yet. Wish me luck with that!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

I'm doing pretty okay today. Had a great weekend where I didn't do badly with eating. I'll be heading to the gym tonight for my 2nd personal training session and am interested in the next bizarre thing she comes up with for me. lol, j/k.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

Welcome Mirell1 & barefootnikki!!!

Mirell, i don't know your stats but I found that when it comes to lower back pain it helps huge to develop your core and back muscles so that everything is held in place properly plus I go to the chiropractor. No pains!

barefootnikki I hear you on the basketball question. Btw, Bermuda??? wow, i'm jealous. lol

sjd, gotta love when friends are noticing!! You're doing great! I'm so looking forward to when losses become visible to my group of friends. I'm vain like that.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #99  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hello ladies,
I hope you all had a nice Easter weekend. I ate quite reasonably, well aside from a certain incident with ice cream (and I am not going into details LOL).

sjdphc - thanks for the good wishes.
Answers to your questions - it took me pretty much 1 year to lose the weight but you know, I was in no rush. I am not one to set myself goals such as "I will lose X pounds by the Memorial Day". I have nothing against such goals but it is not a method that would work for me.

Exercise - ah, that sucks. I had to drop all my Zumba classes and of course, no running or even walking (my dogs hate me right now). So for cardio, I am doing elliptical, the Total Body setting. I am trying to ramp up the difficulty but I find it hard to do HIIT on the elliptical. Other than that, I do my usual lifting.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #100  

S/C/G: oh **** no!/on my way/157

Height: 5'9"

Hi Girls!

OK, so I am new the tall forum and just found you guys but happy to have done so! I am 5'9" now but was 5'9 1/2" for most of my life. (Where did I put that 0.5 inch?)

I think that Talls definitely have advantages/disadvantages as well as different challenges from smalls. DCHound was completely right. Talls can be within an inch of each other and be hugely different weights. I think it is particularly difficult to figure out what target weight should be because you can't really judge yourself against another Tall! Same with setting a calorie target. How can someone 8 inches shorter than I have the same calorie count? The calculators don't take your height into account at all. Maybe I should do like Tomato and give up on the calorie counting altogether.

DCHound~I am having the same issue as I am at a much smaller size at this weight then when I passed through here on the way up. I think it is because the exercise makes you leaner. Squishy = bigger sizes.

barefootnikki~I wish you tons of motivation for working out. It not only makes you feel good but I have found that it really helps me stop feeling bad. I had tremendous back spasms before I started working out and strengthening my back & abs. Now...gone-unless I don't workout.

Glad that there are other Talls out there!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #101  
nirvikalpa samadhi

I have been asking various friends about that too. It doesn't seem to correlate to age, so I guess just fitness level? It is just totally weirding me out that I was an 18/20 at 210 and I am an 18/20 at 260-ish. Totally, totally, totally weird! And HOW did I put on 50 lbs of muscle? I haven't been consistently active. But hey, I ain't complaining.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #102  

It's definitely got to be the squishy. I was comfortably a 16 at 175 but I can definitely still fit into a 16 at 211. I'm sure muscle affects it too, but in my case it's just the squishy. So I'll have to lose a LOT of weight before I'm not a 16 anymore. XD
Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #103  
nirvikalpa samadhi

For me, when I lost a bunch of weight in 2003, my 16s started falling down around 190. I have some pics of me at my lowest weight. Back then I thought my clothes fit great but in retrospect everything was baggy and I should have been in a 14.

On the upside ~ my driver license pic was taken during the brief window in time I was at my smallest, blondest and cutest... It's literally the best picture I've ever made in my life.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #104  

Good morning ladies! Today is day 23 of consistently working out and eating right! I almost drove straight home after work instead of going to the gym! But I ended up going anyway! Too bad my workout was subpar. I just was not feeling it today. I managed to break a sweat, but nothing like I've been doing. I guess something is better than nothing.

Barefootnikki, I totally forgot about the infamous "basketball" question! That is also one of my pet peeves! I have absolutely no hand/eye coordination whatsoever when it comes to basketball! LOL! My sister is 6'3" and is asked if she plays for the WNBA all the time! She also made a point... If someone blatantly yells out "Dang, you're tall!", would it be offensive to say "Dang, you're ugly!" or something to that nature... She hasn't done it because she has couth, but I think I would die of laughter if she ever did! Is that wrong? LOL! I'm sorry I don't have any advice for staying motivated as it is a daily struggle for me as well. But good luck! If I can do it, anyone can!... No, really!

Tomato, what about swimming as a form of exercise? I will be soooo happy once the gym up the street from me opens! It will have an indoor pool. I love water aerobics! I'll be there with my floral swimcap, one-piece swimsuit and water noodle! BTW, do you have any tips on how to get rid of back fat (since you lift)? I'm so tired of the spillage over my bra! I think I have more in the back than I do in the front! LOL!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #105  

sjdphcCongratulations! I'm on day 22 now! Keep up the good work!
Closed Thread