Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #31  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

Mimi: You are so right about Americans eating quick and easy (majority of the time all processed). And when I refer to "American," I'm speaking of North America in general. We're a very lazy couple of nations over here haha. And I think that's so kind breaking your walking routine in to 2 separate parts to include your husband in the exercise. My DF... Well, he works out in the oil field as an eviro tech, but as soon as he gets home and sits down, he's down for the count LOL.

Nikaia: You know, I never actually thought to use my yoga weights to calibrate my scale.. Nifty idea!

Shari: Wow, you've got quite a super mom on your hands! It's insane how moms do it, eh?

Ivy:
Always with the water! How is the little wrestler doing? All recovered now?

stopeating:
Eyeee! College! I bet he's so excited! And I definitely know about the changing over night! Congratulations on the new job! And I'm an avid Ebay'er. I LOVE IT!

I'll do my update tonight after work. I have to get in a quick workout before I go to work! I hope everyone has a great day!

Daily Plan:
B: Slim Fast Optima Shake
S: LF Yogurt (100g), 1 md Banana
L: Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
S: Popsmart Mini Bag of popcorn
D: Spaghetti and meat sauce (lean gr beef)
S: Ug. Not sure. We'll see if I'm hungry after...

E: 30 min WATP (am), 45 min WOTWL (pm)

W: 1500mL (3x water bottle)

I'm still finding it very difficult to get in 1800 calories. I'll hit 1600 if I'm lucky. But because of my weight, I know I have to get a certain number of healthy calories in to sustain and lose weight gradually. But sometimes I'm just not hungry! LOL

Last edited by martiniforme; 01-11-2007 at 09:57 AM.
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #32  
Goodbye Fat!

Good Morning Everyone,

Had a good workout today. I spent 25 minutes on the recumbent bike and 10minutes on the stairs instead of the usual treadmill. Made a healthy dinner last night...chicken pot pasta. Same as chicken pot pie but with whole wheat pasta inside of the fattening pie crust part. DH and I like it so it is going into the recipe stack for good.

Everyone have happy and healthy day!
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #33  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Nikaia:

Quote:
*hides from Jasmine's query about workouts*
Mmhhmmmnnn.... *cracks the whip*

Quote:
I have NO idea where my workout clothes and shoes are...which is kind of problematic.
That is NO excuse! Get back on it!! The backpacking and 25 k sound great! Is that 25 miles?

Is that really me:

Quote:
I'll bookmark this thread. I didn't know you started a new one each week.
Yes we do that so that newcomers don't feel intimidated by some 100 page thread. haha It also helps us oldtimers too where if we have been gone a while it is alot easier to pop in on a shorter thread than feel like we have to read thru all we missed. If we have time then it is great to do so but sometimes we can't!

Quote:
I have some questions posted on the Exercise link; maybe someone can clear up the huge discrepency.
People have mentioned that before. I thought someone said that even if we are NOT exercising we are still burning! SO they just add the EXTRA burnt. idk The main thing is to keep moving.

my ivy:

Good to have ya back hun! I agree with some stuff about the carbs. Not sure why no bread after 10-:00 am though?

I am still so iffy about protein. I do try to do about 20-30% and try to do 40 carbs, but sometimes wind up at 50%. But the one thing that worries me is hearing that having too much protein can affect your kidneys. *scared*

I try to keep the fats at about 30% with only 10% coming from sat fat and I have done my best to ban trans fats from everything!

Quote:
1. Eat low or no fat when possible
Well everyone has a different opinion of what "lowfat" is. hahaha Like I said I try to stick to the 30%. I do feel that our body's do need fats and to help our body absorb some of the minerals and vitamins etc. We even do need some sat. fats(IMO) but like I said I do try to get only 10% as sat and 20% as the other.

I don't feel canola oil is a good fat. What I would love to start getting when I can get to a health store is coconut oil! Farmers tried fattening their cows up with it years ago and they got skinny instead!!! Olive oil is great.

Thanx for sharing all that with us hun!

Nikaia:

Quote:
sigh* I'm planning on going to two places that are hiring to try to get a job, but I can't find anything suitable for job-hunting that fits me, and without money from a job I can't afford to buy any new clothes. What the **** am I supposed to do???
Good luck hun! I will pray for you and put out the word to family and friends!

miafluker:

Don't worry about sil. Concentrate on eating whole foods and healthy foods and exercise. The weight should come off!

Is that really me:

Quote:
And while I am not a big bread eater to begin with, I don't understand the no bread after 10am rule or the ones about the potatoes.
I don't know what is up w/ the bread either. I do know that potatoes can turn to sugar and they are actually one of my biggest trigger foods. I do not advise against them completely, but just to watch it. I had to limit myself to once on sundays and maybe once when I go out to eat some fries cause when I have them more often I want them almost every day and I feel not in control of my eating. I started losing steadily once I got that under control and the cal counting. The same thing with cutting out the white bread and rolls. We still have them maybe once a week but not every day. I did want to give all you this link.

http://www.mercola.com/article/blueberries.htm

In the June 2004 issue of Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry researchers used a technique called oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) to test the antioxidant power of more than 100 different kinds of fruits, vegetables, nuts and spices. In a laboratory testing, wild blueberries emerged as the top antioxidant capacity fruit– and overall were second only to Mexican red beans!

For the first time, in this antioxidant study, the USDA evaluated both wild (lowbush) and cultivated (highbush) blueberries and found that wild surpassed its cultivated cousins by 48%. Scientists attribute the high antioxidant capacity of Wild Blueberries to anthocyanin, the phytonutrient responsible for the berry's deep blue color.

The official standings of this study are listed below ...

1. Small red beans (dried), also known as Mexican red beans ( I mix these in with pinto beans and make a big pot once a week. The whole family loves it! I found the red beans at Ralph's, not sure about S.B.)
known as Mexican red beans
2. Blueberries (wild) I have .50 a cup every day of regular bb. Need to look for the wild ones!
3. Red kidney beans Never
4. Pinto beans Yes in my chili beans and for refried beans
5. Blueberries (cultivated) Yes!!
6. Cranberries No, not really
7. Artichokes (cooked) never
8. Blackberries I sometimes get a mixed medley for Joe
9. Prunes Yuck!
10. Raspberries Yum!!
11. Strawberries In my freezer!!
12. Red Delicious apples I eat an apple a day!
13. Granny Smith apples I usually get these for Joey!
14. Pecans No
15. Cherries Not really
16. Black plums Not really
17. Russet potatoes (cooked) Once a week!
18. Black beans (dried) Haven't tried them yet!
19. Red plums No
20. Gala apples These are the ones I LOVE. They are softer to chew then the red.

So the spuds DO have a place in keeping us healthy. There is also a link on the mercola page to the actual study.

Quote:
I agree w/the fat to an extent. Fat satiates; makes you feel full. I'd rather have a reduced amount of something w/fat or possibly reduced fat than to have more w/non-fat. It's not worth it to me if I'm hungry 2 hours later. But that's just me; whatever works to get you to your goal is the key, right? Thanks for sharing all the info!
Yeah I agree. I have posted stuff before about having good quality fat and how it helps with absorbing your vitamins and enzymes in your food, etc.

SD Gal:

Hi sweetie! Welcome!! Congrats on the marriage!!!

Canuk4:

I was down to 232 today! Yeah, lets just hope it sticks, that is a loss of 5.5 lbs.

Wow sweetie!!! That is awesome!!!

Quote:
I am having a surprise birthday party for my Dad on March 4th, (if my nerves stand up to it), anyhow as my Dad is quite hard of hearing, I thought it would be better to have just adults, no children. My Dad can't hear anything if there is a lot of noise. I still have to propose this to my nieces and nephews. My point is to get it so, Dad can enjoy as much as possible his kids and grandkids, the children can visit him at his place on his actual birthday or on the days before the actual party. My nieces work part-time and have cars, so this should not be a problem. Dad will be 95.
That is so sweet of you to plan! He is 95?? WOW! I bet he has some great healthy living tips!!

Quote:
WHAT DO YOU LADIES THINK!!!!
All you can do is your best hun!!

martiniforme:
Quote:
Jasmine shared a plethora of information about eating fats (to be specific good fats)
*claps*
Quote:
Since I've joined 3FC, Jasmine got me in to eating fruit smoothies in the morning, and now my day goes all wrong food-wise if I don't get my fruit in the morning!
That is so awesome sweetie! You know what I have started adding to mine, plain yogurt and/or plain kefir! It is really yummy. I get my calcium in(some of it) and also the kefir is really supposed to be good for your inners. It has 10 live cultures. It is supposed to be even better for you than yogurt. The yogurt I get right now has 6 which is pretty high for some yogurts.

http://www.lifeway.net/research.php

http://www.lifeway.net/health.php

http://www.kefir.net/kefiryogurt.htm

I get the plain so i don't have all the added extra sugars and the fruit is sweet enough! I have been hearing alot of great things about kefir lately. Eventually I will learn to make my own. and I am the same way with the fruit. If I dont get at least one apple in my whole day just goes from there!! It also is very filling and doesn't weigh me down.
Quote:
The holidays for me as I mentioned went well. I didn't focus on my diet, but simply focused on portion control and spending time with family.
That is great!
Quote:
I was sick over the last couple of days with a really high fever, but kept going to work, so I ended up prolonging the recovery, and was sick all weekend . I feel great now, though!
Awww i am glad you are better now!!

Quote:
I am loving my new skillet! I love being able to create unusual food creations, and having control over what I cook it in (oil, spray, etc), and how much of what I put in it. And because the veggies are all fresh, I know it's not processed!
Your new skillet has it's own supply of fresh veggies? I want one!!! No but seriously, what is up with the skillet?

sugarbaby269:

Hi sweetie! Good to see ya! Congrats on the house!!! Where are you moving too?

miafluker:

I was doing slimfast for a while to but have weaned myself away from it cause there is so MANY things in it! You know extremely processed. Egga are good. Oatmeal should be good to but I know it is best to prepare it correctly. I am a big fan of fruit smoothies for breakfast and have gotten Mande into that as well. If you need it quick, chop it up the nite before and toss in your blender in the a.m. I also add kefir and yogurt to mine.

Is that really me:

Quote:
ust got done w/my day's exercise. You know when I posted yesterday that I wasn't too sore from using the Total Gym on Monday?
Well at least you know it is working! Have a good day too!!

dollypie:

Do NOT cut your cals! If any thing shake them up. Try and have one day a week to let your body know it can have whatever it wants. That is what I do. I am heavier than you though. ALso, start measuring! Sometimes we lose inches instead! Try changing the exercise routine up!

JasonsLea:

Quote:
Then Monday morning, my mama informed me that we have lost our house and have to move. So, if you all don't see me around for a while, this is why. I feel sick. My mama is annoyingly (sp?) calm about all this. She says we're going to get the house back. Alabama has this thing called a year of redemption where you have a year to pay back what you owe and you can get your property back. But I'm like, what about the people that will be living here during that year? Do they just get kicked out? It doesn't make sense! Dammit!
Oh hun this is terrible! Is there anyone who can help? What about income taxes??

I will be back with more personals in a moment, I HOPE!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #34  
I AM healthy!

stopeating:

Quote:
Anyway life is good but I feel really drained. I woke up at 2 a.m. watched tv until 4 a.m. and slept until 6 a.m. when I had to get up for work (and did not want to). I have a ton on my plate right now. I need to start filling out financial aid forms for my oldest who will be going to college next year. We need to visit the college again and the logistics and see actual accessible rooms (he's in a wheelchair).
Good luck getting those done hun!

Quote:
He went to Wisconsin this weekend to play a tournament. They won two and lost two. He was a little bummed but it's okay. They were good games.
Tell him to keep his chin up!!

I miss you Jasmine!

I am here sweetie!!

Nikaia:

Set your alarm!! Little brat!!!

Hpnotq:

Quote:
shows me at 17 lbs lighter than my scale here at home does
Wow that is great! Maybe you need a new scale?

JasonsLea:

Okay sweetie well I hope this all goes well for all of you!

SD Gal:

Great on the walking!!

martiniforme:

Quote:
I'm still finding it very difficult to get in 1800 calories. I'll hit 1600 if I'm lucky. But because of my weight, I know I have to get a certain number of healthy calories in to sustain and lose weight gradually. But sometimes I'm just not hungry! LO
I hear ya sweetie! Try some walnuts! They are like 170 cals for 1/4 cup and are GREAT for you! They actually protect your arteries etc!!! (Don't make me go look you up 100 links!! )

dollypie:

Quote:
Had a good workout today. I spent 25 minutes on the recumbent bike and 10minutes on the stairs instead of the usual treadmill. Made a healthy dinner last night...chicken pot pasta. Same as chicken pot pie but with whole wheat pasta inside of the fattening pie crust part. DH and I like it so it is going into the recipe stack for good.
SOunds good keep it up!!

Oh my gosh I am done with personals! Maybe later I can get to myself!

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #35  
I AM healthy!

Oh yeah. I was down to 207 yesterday!! I am super jazzed cause this is the first official NEW pound! Remember I hit 208, then 210. then water retention 212? Then had to work back to 208? Well this is the first being at 207!!! Hooray!!! Hopefully one more by sunday!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #36  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

So far so good today. My protein shake lasted a good 3 to 3/12 hours b/4 I got hungry for lunch today. I took a day off from exercise -- well, I did walk the dog - cause my legs were just tired. I'm hoping that tomorrow's weigh-in finds the scale down for everyone! Has anyone every tried a veggie burger? I just went shopping and they were on sale (Boca burger). I melted 1/2 oz. swiss cheese on top and put it on a whole wheat pita w/some tomatoes and ketchup. Pretty good. They're really low in calories and fat and have 13 grams of protein. I'm still wanting a little sumpin' sumpin' though! Hmm, maybe a coffee yogurt w/do the trick!

Dollypie - I've had that happen to me too! You work your butt off w/watching the calories and exercising and all and then the stupid scale just gets stuck. This will sound weird but when that happens I stop counting calories and eat more than ususal, just for a day or two. It's almost like it shakes your metabolism up. After a day or two go back to your routine. Personally, THAT's the hard part for me. The scale will move and I'll think "ooo, I can be a little and still lose weight!" Also I've noticed that if I exercise (treadmill and such) everyday for 5 days in a row, the scale seems putzy. But if I do 3 days of exercise, day off, 2 days of exercise, day off - changing it around all the time, then the scale seems more willing to move. Of course, I haven't weighed in yet so I may just be full of hot air!!

Stopeating - we will be in your shoes in two years. My oldest is a junior in high school. We're just starting to look at colleges. She definitely wants to go away to college. As much as I'd love her to stay (she's the easy one!) I know from experience that you only get one shot at going away to school right after high school. Even taking a few years break -- it's just not the same. So, she's allowed to go away but my rule is not more than an hour or two away! That way she can come home (or maybe the dog and I can pay an unexpected visit during the week hehe! ) easier. Have you looked into a Pell Grant? I just got done school two years ago and the Pell Grant covered 1/3 of the tuition. Not sure where you live (I live in PA) or if they have it in your place of residence but just thought I'd mention it. Good luck w/all the forms. Might save time if you just cut off your right arm and gave it to them!

Good luck w/the rest of the day's menu and movement everyone!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #37  
Goodbye Fat!

Is that really me?, Boco burgers are one of my favorits, they are really tasty and they are also easy and quick. I also have the Boca Breakfast sausages in the morning sometimes.

Jasmine, Congrats on the pound! You get the happy dance!!!
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 165/165/150

Height: 5-8

Talking

Hi Girls!!

I'm sooore after yesterday's walk (I kick it into high gear without my husband) but its a good sore.. kwim? I've really had to bar myself from stepping on the scale since Monday's WI.. I WANT TO.. but I don't, understand? I know that I shouldn't.. I could weigh myself a dozen times a day just to see if I've gained anything.. (call it habit from when I was anorexic).. bad habit, I'm really trying to break it.

I did half a bagel this morning to bfast... mid morning fruit shake, Lean Cuisine lunch, I'll do my mid afternoon shake and then supper tonight.. we're having tilapia & couscous with I'm not sure what veggie.. something green, I think.

I am SO looking forward to the long weekend! lol

~Hugs~
SD Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #39  
I AM healthy!

Mande:

I am still not liking the fact of the soy, but know you have made that decision for now. I was browsing the kefir site and found this:

http://www.lifeway.net/beauty/kefirforher.php

So if you are going to do soy and I would definately encourage kefir to most anyone, this looks like a good thing for ya!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 155/148/128

Height: 5'7"

Well I hope everyone is having a good eating day! We did get pizza tonight but I had two pieces so I feel very happy with myself. I'm still drained and had my pj's on as soon as I got home tonight! I'm making a huge list of things to accomplish this weekend.

SD Gal - I can relate to the scales. I will weigh myself several times a day and need to tell myself no because I get so discouraged with the fluctuations!

Jasmine - Huge congrats on the pound!!!!

Is that really me - never had a veggie burger, I'm not sure what's in it?

Dollypie - Good work out!

Jasonslea - I'm so glad things are looking a little better.

Hi Martiniforme!

hpnotq - I want to go to your doctor!!!
stopeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #41  
Ivy135

S/C/G: 219/171/135

Height: 5"4

Talking

Hi, Guys

Thanks Mande he is still not able to wrestle I just took him today to the dr said he needs 6 weeks therapy I will do that then take it from there his school has first match next week but he wont be wrestling due to his injure
Oh well I know there will be others.
Hi Jasmin congrats on loss!!!!!
I hope everyone is doing well

And remember DRINK THAT WATER!!!!! HA HA HA!!!!!
my ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 242/229.5/135

Height: 5'3"

Yeah Jasmine for losing a pound.
Martiniforme - will have to send another message.
Thanks everyone for your input into my family party.
Great work outs going on, have to wait a few more days to get going on mine again. Very frustrating. Did accomplish some housework today, but stomach still not right, I will take your advise and just take it easy, think that is the only way I will get rid of this.
Well just droped in to say Hi, have to write that party E-mail before I get more phone calls and unwanted suggestions of people to invite. (Middle brother called tonight) he is the one I had to plan around as he and wifey are leaving for New Zealand for six weeks next Thursday and won't be back till March 2nd. They only got home from China in November. Yum!!! (a word we have with friends, when we are not happy about something. Sorry, time to go NOW!
Sharon

Last edited by Canuk4; 01-11-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Canuk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:30 AM   #43  
Mardi Gras'07 New Orleans

S/C/G: 253/253/160

hi everyone congrats on that loss Jasmine
miafluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #44  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Woohoo! I lost three lbs.!! Only two more to go till I can get a dancing carrot -- 1 for every 5 lbs lost! I did the Total Gym earlier (hope I don't get as sore as I did on Monday) and am off to the treadmill. I'm on W1D3 of the C25K challenge. Don't really feel like doing anything but that scale going down gives me incentive! I'll check back later to see how you all are doing! I'm so excited!!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #45  
prepare for the BEST time

I've been reading your thread and like your non-rules....some of the other groups challenges are so involved with too many restrictions, levels, sub-challenges, timeframes, i can't keep track.

OK it's January 12.....

I decided that I needed to resume my daily exercise routine with my morning workouts that I used to enjoy....I hadn't done anything for 8 months, my elderly mother had accident and I'm the caregiver, now another family member is very ill, I'm stressed and my body is as messy as my head. I don't like my waist getting "thick" and the scale frightens me right now. some of my jeans are getting too tight and uncomfortable. it's time to take back control.

the New Year's promise I will keep is going to save me.

January---exercise (I do interval training at home early AM, cardio and wt. sets, I have treadmill, pilates machine, rebounder, dumbbells and weight bench) 5-6 times per week, adding time to each week. my first week total was 1 hour and 33 mins. This week i may hit 2.5 hours if I exercise tomorrow, my first goal is to get in 3 hours of strong cardio/wt. sets per week consistently.

Eating *better choices*---i brought holiday leftover chocolates to work for my students---more veggies, less starch, avoid the constant cookies.

today, i did 28 mins. of hard cardio and wt. sets of step-ups, flys, chest press and dumbbell squats. my HR is UP and I'm sweating through my tee-shirt, so hopfully I'm burning fat.

nice to meet everyone, thanks, marble
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote