Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 03:26 AM   #1  
Refreshed

Question Is Vanilla Extract Legal?

Hello,

I am looking to start Sugar Busters (again) as a lifestyle. However, I have lent my book to my father, who has Diabetes. I have seen many SB recipes, but am leary that Vanilla Extract is "legal". Is it?

Thanks,

April Marie
Old 07-14-2002, 06:47 AM   #2  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Absolutely! There's many vanilla extracts out there made in different ways. Real vanilla extract may be made with the bean, alcohol, glycerin and sugar. If your brand is, the sugar will be so minute and with using so little of it would not cause a problem. Many extracts do not contain gylcerin and/or sugar, but alcohol is needed. Read labels, or better yet, you can make your own vanilla extract.

Here's a tip from the FRUGAL SHOPPER on making your own:

Making real vanilla is fun and easy. The only ingredients needed are vanilla beans and alcohol. I have several recipes for making vanilla, and each one calls for a different type of alcohol, and varying amounts of vanilla bean.

For a strong extract, use a high proof of alcohol and scrape the seeds from the bean. For a weaker extract, use a lesser proof of alcohol and soak beans intact.

Here are a three different methods for making your extract:

1. Place one vanilla bean into a pint of vodka. Shake daily for two weeks.

*Strain if desired, and bottle for storage.

2. Scrape the seeds from three vanilla beans and place them into a bottle of dark rum. Place the pods in the rum as well. Let sit for three weeks, shaking occasionally.

3. Place 1/2 cup vodka or white tequila into small saucepan, and heat until it smokes but isn't boiling. Break 2 vanilla beans into pieces and place into bottle or jar. Pour the alcohol into the bottle and cover tightly. Let sit for a week, shaking frequently.

*Use a very fine strainer, coffee filter, or paper towel to strain.

HINTo save money, you can grow your own vanilla orchids and collect the seed pods, or reuse the vanilla bean(s) for another batch of extract.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a personal level I've used VE all the time on SB and have never had any problems. I use a natural vanilla extract from the HFS, never the imitation.

GOOD LUCK!

Debbie
Old 07-14-2002, 06:09 PM   #3  
Refreshed

Debbie,

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your prompt and thorough response.

Plus, I'm happy to hear that I can use this; I'm making some pudding SB style.

April Marie
Closed Thread