Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Talking I've lost 50 pounds!

Hello, all! Back in the days when I was just lurking here, before I committed to actually starting my first weight loss program, I used to come to the Success forum looking for stories which would motivate me.

Well, I'm not nearly at the end of my road, but I thought I'd give sort of "Success Update" on where I am at this point, in the hopes that it might help someone out there.

I'VE LOST 50 POUNDS! Look below for all the stat's, but I started March 1 of this year, and in five months I've lost 50 pounds, gone from a BMI of 46.26 at my starting weight of 284 to my current BMI of 38.12, at this morning's weigh-in of 234. I've still got a road before me, but I feel great about my progress thus far, and the lasting changes I've made in my nutritional and exercise habits.

I haven't experienced hardship or felt miserable during this experience, and I think the key to that is staying positive about the experience itself -- turning every negative into a positive, and focusing on this as an opportunity to recreate how I live and move in this world, and how I take care of myself, as opposed to feeling any sense of denial or loss of pleasure. I believe that it's all a mindset. This site has been so instrumental in my program as well; it's through the support and motivation that I've received at the 100lb forum, especially, that I feel I've had a support system and access to people who share what I'm going through at the time that I'm going through it, and can just completely relate.

Hope this helps someone who's wondering how it is to go through this process....you hear about the people who've lost all this weight after they've done it -- and it's flabbergasting!! But how did they feel earlier in the process, when they still faced a long road before them? I'm here to tell you, it feels GREAT!! I feel optimism and pride, self-respect (see quote below) and energy -- I hope it's contagious and infects everyone who reads this, because what I have, I would ABSOLUTELY wish on my very best friends....
Old 08-03-2004, 02:39 PM   #2  
Mel

Sarah!! You're doing great, and enjoying the process really is the key to losing and keeping it off. If you've been lurking at Maintainers', you'll see that all of us who've been down the same road have found that we are still on it. Enjoy the journey, embrace the positive. It's a lifestyle, not a diet Looking forward to your next chapter in your success story

Mel
Old 08-03-2004, 03:44 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

WOW!!!! Sarah, you are my hero!!!! Congratulations!!!! What a great accomplishment. I hope I can say the same someday!

Hugs,
Jay
Old 08-03-2004, 05:19 PM   #4  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Hi Sarah!
Congratulations on your wonderful progress! Your attitude and enjoyment of the process is very inspiring! Wish you the best of luck for the rest of your weight-loss-journey too.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #5  

Oh, Sarah- I'm so happy for you! For anyone looking for a good success story to inspire them- you're it girl!!! So much of what you said reflects what I've been feeling too. It does feel great and what you've accomplished so far makes the rest seem not so intimidating, huh? Your wonderful attitude will take you the rest of the way- but 50 pounds, that's really such a wonderful achievement! Congrats!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:49 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

Talking Thank you!!

Thank you so much, you guys! Mel, Jay, Mette, and Barb -- I really appreciate the positive feedback and kind words of encouragement.....those two go so far in motivating a person, don't they?

Thanks again -- to those of you still on your weight loss journey, I wish you every success. You can do it......Godspeed!
Old 08-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #7  
Meg

Late to the party -- as usual -- but congratulations, Sarah! I know you're going all the way.

I read a quote today that reminded me of you and Gretchen (tolose85) -- my two favorite 3FC optimists -- that I want to pass along:
Quote:
It takes mental toughness to be an optimist. Cynics and pessimists are cowards because they are eternally engaged in emotional self-preservation to the point of paranoia. They live in a state of fear and scarcity in an effort to over-protect themselves from the challenges of life. Optimists await the same challenges in a mindset of love and abundance. Faith, gratitude, and vision are their watchwords. The optimist believes in his/her ability to handle anything that life delivers. They choose to focus on the sun and cope with the rain. Thank God for the optimists. They are the saviors of the world.

- Steve Siebold, Founder,
Mental Toughness University
We're proud of you, chickie!
Old 08-05-2004, 11:40 PM   #8  
I climb mountains!

Meg and Sheila, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support. Meg, you just pull at my heartstrings sometimes -- how does your family stand you?? You know just what to say to get to me -- I want you to know that I printed out that quote and posted it at work where I can see it every day. (And I also told Gretchen to check it out!)

Thanks again, I really, really appreciate it. Here's to the next 50!
Closed Thread