South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #1  

Default what to do?

I am not losing at all. I first lost 8 lbs. then regained 3. now...nothing. I have been doing everything by the book and started walking, I feel great on this diet...
last weekend I did cheat a little and had some pea salad and a little movie popcorn, a low carb small hersheys and a SB snack bar.
Does this diet just not work for some people? I eat alot at supper, but I am eating what is on the list, like last night I had black beans with tomato and sour cream, and 2 grilled tenderloins not fat, 1/2 c. cottage cheese.
I am trying to transition to phase 2, but since I am not losing I am wondering about going completely back to phase 1 or totally switching to WW.
Not sure what to Do!
Does anyone know of anything that you eat that is a complete show stopper?
help!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? How much weight do you think you need to lose? Were you eating a similiar diet prior to starting SBD?

The 10-13 pounds tauted by the book tends to happen in obese people, if you are close to goal weight and just need to lose a few pounds it's going to take longer. Phase 1 is primarily to get you out of the sugar habit and to stabilize you insulin levels. Have you noticed your cravings getting better?

Post a typical day of food and amounts, maybe we can help figure out what's happening.

Sarah
Old 08-11-2005, 08:23 AM   #3  

I am 5'5" and weigh 205, need to lose 60lbs.
b: 2 eggs
s: broccoli
l: salad w/lean meat and olive oil
s: cottage cheese or string cheese
D; lean meat 1-2 portions, 2-3 veggies (usually a salad and legumes and a greeen)
s: sf jello w/ ff cool whip and or a sf fudgesicle.
walking 1-2 mi. daily
Thansks for your help!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I think you need to up your breakfast some, add a meat and some veggies...maybe make an omelete with lots of veggies.

Basically looks ok, couple more questions:

How much broccoli are you eating for a snack?
Exactly what is in your salad and how much? How much olive oil are you using? How much lean meat?

Some one posted from the pay site that we should be eating 1/2 c veggies at breakfast, 2 cups for lunch and 2 cups for dinner. I know that when I'm diliegent about the veggies, I tend to lose weight better and when I stall it's when I've let up on them.

Do you feel hungry at all? How are your cravings? How do your clothes fit? How is your energy? How do you feel in general?

The scale is not the only reference for losing weight, you have to have several other ways of judging how you are doing on your weight loss journey. Water weight can fluctuate a lot. TOM, how much salt you taking in, how much you are sweating during your walks, what time you weigh yourself can all affect how much you weigh.

Sarah
Old 08-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #5  

I eat a full salad at lunch, approx. 2 c. of greens baby spinach mixed with some romaine lettuce, zuccini, broccolli, 1/3 c. ff cheese, peppers and any other veggies (other than carrots) i have in the fridge.
Broccoli for sanch , maybe 1/2 c...?
at one point I felt like I was losing (clothes and look and feel...) but never lost. Then I started feeling big again.
I started to add in some carbs like a SB diet bar now and then for TOM cravings.
but other than that time, I don't really have cravings.
I am sooooo confused....
This diet makes so much sense but doesn't seem to be working.
I wish there was more specifics to really help you lose weight, the books are so vague.
Thanks for all of your help!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Ramcade, this is a post from the FAQ. It may help to "clear things up" a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy
How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 1

The South Beach Diet™ is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited.
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup.
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

LUNCH
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

DINNER

DESSERT
Enjoy a Sweet Treat or any of the snack choices.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 2

In Phase 2, you'll gradually begin to reintroduce healthy starches and carbohydrates into your diet, starting with low-glycemic index ones like oatmeal and couscous, and eventually moving on to high-glycemic ones like fruits and whole-grain bread. The goal is to eat healthy carbs while continuing to lose weight, so pay attention to how they affect you. If your weight loss stalls or cravings return, cut back or try some different carbs and monitor the results. Here's a look at general eating guidelines. Want specific food choices? You can now eat anything from the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list as well as items from the Phase 2 Foods to Reintroduce list.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

LUNCH
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 3

By the time you reach Phase 3, you'll know which starches and carbs you can eat without gaining weight, so you'll have already integrated them into your diet. You'll be eating normal foods in normal-size portions, sticking to the good carbs and good fats. There's no list of forbidden foods in Phase 3, however. In other words, if you want it, and it doesn't undo all your sacrifices, you should go ahead and enjoy it! Here's a look at general eating guidelines.

If you'd like to adapt some of your meals to exclude meat, simply choose protein sources such as beans, soy products, lower fat cheese, eggs and egg substitutes, and eat vegetables and nuts for snacks. You can also choose to receive vegetarian-only meal plans, complete with shopping lists, by selecting "vegetarian" in the Profile area.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 3 fruit servings allowed daily.
Starch: 3 to 4 starch servings allowed daily.

LUNCH

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and desserts are optional: Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES
Old 08-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #7  

good post and thanks for sharing that
Old 08-14-2005, 03:07 PM   #8  

ramcade--

I too am 5'5" and started South Beach on May 2nd at 205. I am now at 164 with a weigh in tomorrow morning. Don't give up on it, this way of eating really works!! I feel so much better--just give it some time. You will be pleased with the results!! I am not a kid either-I just turned 44 but the weight is still dropping off.

Connie
Old 08-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #9  

Just a question...but are you constipated??? I know that may sound funny, but believe it or not that can make a big big difference in your weight...also
how much water are you drinking daily? If I don't drink enough (and sometimes even if I do...) I don't lose.
Good luck!!
Closed Thread