South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 09:48 AM   #16  

Well, I do use hand weights occasionally. I don't do much else right now cause it's just too uncomfortable. I actually had 3 surgeries done at the same time in May - a spur removed from the top of my foot, an endometrial ablation, and laproscopic surgery for an ovarian cyst. The ablation was a breeze, and the lap is pretty much healed but the small incisions do bother me when I do situps and crunches. My foot, well that is just not healed yet (still swollen and sore as the devil) and usually by the time I get home from work I'm exhausted just from being out and about on my foot all day. On "good" days I do walk my dogs for about 15 minutes each. I tried swimming but my foot didn't like it - it's not bendy enough yet to be flexed in the swimming poistion. Likewise I can't use my stationary bike yet for the same reason. But I am still losing so I'm not sweating it too much. I'd rather take it easy now and heal properly than take a risk of injuring myself, ya know?

FYI, I actually started Southbeach a month before the surgery cause I knew I was gonna be a couch potato for a while and would probably gain weight. So SB started as a preventative measure.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 AM   #17  

Oh, and I am also developing arthritis in my left hand which is making even hand weights difficult. I am falling apart at the seams Being 40 SUCKS!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #18  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondgrrl7
I think I'm going to try to find something interesting like those belly dancing tapes that I keep hearing about.
Here, we have "On Demand" TV where you can watch whatever movies you want, anytime and stuff. They have an option called "Mag Rack" where it has all kinds of free exercise videos. I watched (but didn't do) a bellydance program the other day. It looks really fun. It's just choreography and stuff, but they make it really easy, and by the end of the tape, you look like you really can bellydance. (I have "step, together, step, touch. Drop, drop, drop" stuck in my head from Step 1 of the program.)

I am not the best about working out like I should.....I usually find a routine that I'm okay with, and then get bored with it. Very thankful volleyball has started up again. It's only 1 night a week, but it's 1-3 hours of cardio, so that helps.

Also, remember that those of us who have a lot of fat to lose, once we lose that fat, will have a lot of saggy-baggy stuff going on if we don't tone while we lose.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:47 AM   #19  

I did pilates for about 3 months two years ago, then I stopped... I tried starting again last year after I got laid off from my job, and found I had lost ALL of my agility.

I really liked it, though, all the stretching and yoga, I have the Jennifer Krieg DVDs, so there's even some ballet in it, which was really fun. I felt awesome while I was doing it regularly, so I'm going to get started again, either once I go on Phase 2, or next week if I'm feeling better.

I've found that I don't have any energy this week (day 4 of Phase 1 and I haven't cheated yet!), so I think my body's still adjusting. I don't want to freak it out completely by making it move too much just yet.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I do bellydancing once a week. Last night was my bellydancing class. It is a really fun way to get exercise as well as kind of a social thing. I then decided to do swimming after the class, so I did 20 minutes of swimming. Since I can't continuously swim for 20 minutes, I stop after each lap and either do some running in place or I hold onto the wall and practice my kicking. I also want to buy a kickboard, but I've been everywhere and I can't find one! I will find one today hopefully.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #21  

Weezle, I used to have Dish Network and they had On Demand movies. I don't remember mag rack though. Now we have brighthouse and they have movies you can rent as well.. but I don't think they have anything like that either. Sounds really cool, though.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #22  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondgrrl7
I think I'm going to try to find something interesting like those belly dancing tapes that I keep hearing about. I know I felt tons healthier when I was exercising on a regular basis, and the weight was coming off pretty quick. I just haven't felt motivated lately. Water aerobics sounds like a blast. I think I will look into that as well. Thanks for all the great advice. You guys rock
I'm so glad, Diamondgrrl7! I think you'll really enjoy it! If you poke around in the exercise forum, you'll find a long thread on the bellydancing video tapes. I have the Veena and Neena ones, and they are really great! Some people like the Goddess ones, but they seemed not to have great instructions for beginners, so I went with Veena and Neena. They have very specific instructions and are really easy to follow. The arms and abs one is quite a workout!

Definitely check into classes in your community. There are so many wonderful ways to get moving! : I'm looking into going on a hike with the local community center...every weekend it has rained, it seems, so I haven't been able to go yet. Should be really fun!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #23  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Go, Nelie, go!

Good for you, girl! Sounds like a lot of fun, and a lot of hard work. Those pounds are going to be melting off you, you gorgeous girl! (love the new pic!)
Old 08-26-2004, 08:34 PM   #24  

I couldnt find the belly dancing tapes so I bought a pilates kit instead that came with a mat, video tape and a couple other things that I have idea what to do with. I'm going to search for the belly dancing tapes online tonight.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:52 PM   #25  
Peanut's Mom

Our township offered water aerobics at a local high school pool and it was really fun (and cheap). A friend of mine was preggers and wanted to do something low impact, so we went together. She worked out in the shallow end to make it easier and I worked out in the deeper end 'cuz I like to sweat, even in the water! So, you might want to check with your local government/community center...there's a lot out there if you look for it.

I try to work out at least 30 minutes a day. My health insurance reimburses part of my gym membership if I go a certain number of times a year, so there's a bit more incentive. I LOVE working out b/c I feel so strong, flexible and energetic afterwards. I also sleep much better now than when I didn't exercise regularly. It used to be very difficult for me to get a good nights sleep...I was such a light sleeper that every noise woke me. And with 2 cats, an 18 month old and a night-owl husband, there's lots of little noises. But now, I'm sure I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow and I feel refreshed when I wake up...usually. And I used to wake up several times to see how much longer I had left to sleep. Doh! What an annoying habit! Now it's gone.

The benefits of exercise are boundless!
Closed Thread