South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 07:31 PM   #1  
Work in Progress

Default daily dish Eating South of the Border

Eating South of the Border

If you've got a date with Mexican food, have no fear. Even this carbohydrate-rich cuisine is adaptable to the South Beach Diet. Here are some ways to lighten your load and still enjoy Mexican food:
Try your favorite grilled meats as fajitas, tostadas, or soft tacos, with tortillas on the side. (No tortillas at all in Phase 1. In Phase 2, ask if they offer whole-wheat tortillas.)
Whole black or pinto (red) beans are fine, but rice is a killer. Refried beans are traditionally made with lard, so unless you know how they're prepared, best to avoid them.
Guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and salsa can turn an otherwise healthy meal into a gut buster. Fresh homemade salsa is the best (bottled salsas often contain sugar), followed by the heart-healthy avocado fat used to make guacamole. The sour cream and cheeses probably aren't the low- or nonfat variety so skip them. Other sauces, such as enchilada and tomatillo sauces are OK. Again, check for sugar.
A basket of chips is the equivalent of a basket of bread, so don't overindulge.
Skip the beer and margaritas. Choose water or sugar-free, caffeine-free sodas instead.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:19 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Had two bowls of very healthy chili today, Rowan. (darned stuff has given me terrible gas, though...)
Old 11-16-2003, 11:20 PM   #3  
Work in Progress

I made a wonderful chili tonight with sf chili seasonings, I sauteed onion and chicken tenders and mixed with canned tomatoes, then I mixed in kidney beans.....It was great, high fiber, lowfat and yummy

no gas yet.......
Old 01-07-2004, 11:08 PM   #4  

I made an interesting chile tonight. I scoured my empty fridge and cupboards. I used lean ground turkey, great northern beans(I was out of kidney) I had no tomato sauce so I used V8 juice. I seasoned it all with scallions, cumin, chile powder, onion salt and pepper. It was delicious! I was surprised. I think I will continue to use V8 in chile in the future.
Closed Thread