South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 5"

Default First Weekend in August- Aug 1, 2 Chat

Rabbit, Rabbit!! Welcome to August! Anyone else up early??

Old 08-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #2  

I'm up early today as DH couldn't sleep. We had some rain go through overnight so it is a bit cool and damp this morning; I may have my coffee hot instead of iced today.

Not sure what is on the agenda today; it sort of depends on whether the weather clears or not. I am on the homestretch of a couple garden projects but somehow I always find myself going a bit crazy re-arranging perennials in August.

Also my little garden is producing. I made a chocolate zucchini cake last night; I will try a tiny piece but it will go into the freezer for when I see DS1 later this month. I would like to try some SF pickles; I need to search for a recipe and haul out the canning equipment. I may also try some salsa when the tomatoes are ripe. I often make it fresh but have never tried canning it.

But right now it is time for coffee.

Last edited by Beth19; 08-01-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Good morning Beth! I've been up for a while (darned it) but didn't start the thread. FYI - my SIL gave me a recipe for microwaved pickles...yum! So easy and quite delicious. I'll dink with her recipe to the flavors I prefer.

It's the weekend already!? Since I'm not working, the days are all starting to blend together. I think DD wants to go to the flea market today, and we need to straighten up the house. I guess I should figure out what's for supper?

If anyone is interested....I just made my own electrolyte drink! I have low blood pressure issues now (80/50 isn't preferred...), so need to eat and drink more salt. Anyway...found cranberry juice concentrate at the discount store, added Himalayan pink salt and stevia, with ice and water. Delicious! A couple people on the forum recommended white grape (oh, my!) and lemon as well, I'm going to try those next...

Enjoy the weekend! It should be beautiful here....
Old 08-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Good morning Beth, Tammy and chicks to come. Beth certainly sounds like you have your projects under control. I froze one of the zucchini breads I made too. I am hoping my mom might make one while I am there as I love them!

Tammy your drink sounds really great for working out too. Now if I could only get back into my grove with that lol. Have fun at the flea market. I haven't been to one in ages. I hope to get a little shopping in with mom while I'm there as she has some really cute country gift shops by her.

Yippee vacation has officially started. We will ignore me going in for a few hours on Tuesday. I am attending a Segway demonstration at a local PD. Maybe we will get to try them. That would be fun!

A new month and a new chance to recommit myself to myself. I've been slacking, more like roller coasting the past few months. Mindless snacking has been my demise. I'm great during the day and even at work. I'm hoping a change in my routine by going to mom's might help me.

I guess I better get cracking as I have lots to do around here. Happy Saturday!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning early risers I've been lying awake since 6:15 but refused to get up. It was one of those nights, dog out twice, then DH forgot to turn his alarm off, final straw was cat barfing. I finally gave up and came out to catch-up on my internet time while DH sleeps in.

Beth - I made refrigerator pickles for the first time. I don't know why I never tried them before, but they are super easy, delicious (we ate a whole pint in 24 hours), and no added sugar. I want to can more but we need to figure out how to vent the kitchen. last year the moisture build-up was not a good thing.

Tammy - Microwave pickles? That's one I haven't seen. I am going to make a new batch of refrigerator pickles with some sliced onion and pieces of hot pepper. Not sure how DH will feel about those, but I bet I will love them

Jennifer - Happy vacation! can't wait to hear about the Segway.

Ruth - I know you are having a great time with your guests

Okay, time to do a little research then make some lists. DH is not a fan of computer time, so I try to stay off when he is home. He is right, I got into the habit of way too much screen time with the old job and i need to break that.

Weight is slowly coming off. It turns out that moving more, not eating in the car, and not stress eating really helps weight loss. Imagine that

Happy August weekend Beachers

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-01-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Good morning!

I am barely up and need to get going. We're working on my little greenhouse and I need some parts and if I don't go to Home Depot right now and get stuck in horrible traffic. I had the same thing yesterday when I went to Denver. It took me forever to get home. I'm going to enjoy this coffee and then quickly decide what I'm going to do.

Happy weekend everyone!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Fly-by post.

Leenie and Lauren are here and my dogs are absolutely delighted and working hard at accepting all the attention and petting. We did a mini-tour down at the Lake in the afternoon and had a lengthy supper with limited wine - just for me. The house was just the right temperature for sleeping but we were all up quite early. Today we will do some touring, maybe take in a flea market and then have the infamous "poutine" for lunch at a food truck spot. I'll skip the poutine since it's not my favourite. We just decided to have a veggies and dip, leftover chicken, crackers, cheese, salad, etc. kind of dinner.

Hope everyone enjoys this much cooler weekend! (So strange to not be going to pick p bread for the Mill right now.)
Old 08-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 2"

Good Morning

Been up hours but outside taking advantage of the cool morning in the garden. Rains have slowed down so watering 25 pots is now a daily chore. I enjoy that because I can deadhead and check for problems, also put some Miracle Grow on some of them.

DH and I just took the insulated Coffee Pot on the patio so we could re-fill our cups as we putter outside, with frequent sit downs for conversation.

May the most of this Saturday. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow won't come, we have this day, the present and it is indeed a gift!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Good morning love2garden I like that you and hubby make time for conversation while taking care of chores

Ruth glad you are enjoying your company. I will need to google poutine.

I managed to get a lot accomplished yesterday. I'm going up to help set up for the party so today nothing will get done. I need to have a serious talk with myself about mindless binge eating. It has been out of control! I did take some down time last night and watched Still Alice with Julianne Moore. Thankfully not a true story, but really gave good insight into Alzheimer's.

Time for belly rubs and coffee. Looks like another stellar day!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #10  

Good morning, Jennifer and chicks to come!

We had a huge storm blow through last evening (luckily right after DH finished grilling the burgers!!) but this morning it looks to be clear and sunny. I think today will be a play day with DH and DS2.

Jennifer, poutine is a Canadian "delicacy"; I'm with Ruth, gravy on my fries was never my thing. Enjoy your party. As for mindless eating, I've been really bad myself lately. I think I will go back to the rule that I can only eat when I'm sitting at the table and the food is on a plate. The only exception will be coffee.

Ruth, enjoy your visitors! Was your dinner interrupted my the thunderstorm also?

Cyndi and Tammy, I do make "instant" pickles the way my Mom did; just slice the cucs and some onions, then douse with a mix of vinegar and water, salt and pepper. But years ago, when I canned for real, DH's favorite was always bread and butter pickles. I've found some SF recipes and so I might try a batch. I will also look for the microwave pickles.

Time to move. Have a great day, chicks!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #11  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

Good morning

had a wonderful time in the niagara area yesterday picking apricots. Picked enough to make about 12 pints. I always make my jams european style which is twice the amount to fruit to sugar and the whole process takes 3 days. Anyways most will be given awayy.
Jennifer. Poutine is of Quebec origin. Fries are topped with cheese curds and then gravy. I grew up in Quebec and only had them once.
its cool enough this morning to do some gardening, so off I go. Make s6mmer count everyone.
take care
Sophie
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning! I'm sitting out here on the balcony with my 2nd cup of coffee, while waiting for everyone else to wake up. I'm still on the Eastern timezone, although we did stay up til the wee hours playing a boardgame. And Monica & Andrew were up at 5:30 to go to a 14 mile run and aren't back yet.
It's just gorgeous here and the condo is spacious and like living in a resort! I'm so happy for them, although I don't like them living so far away. Thankfully, it's an easy 1 1/2 hour plane ride.
Today our plan is go into the city and see the sights, and have an authenic deep-dish pizza at Geno's. I'll worry about calories later, lol!
Old 08-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

** SOB ** Leenie and Lauren left at around 10 and I had no sooner dried my tears than there was a knock at the door - cousins with little Nate who is an adorable six-month boy. What a sweetie and he took me off being sad about the two NJ chicks driving off!

We had a great and relaxing visit. My dogs fell madly in love with both. We mainly hung out, did some touring and indulged in poutine - they indulged but I did not - really don't like cheese curds! Of course they came with all kinds of Trader Joe goodies which will last me forever - if I am careful.

I am letting the Mill staff and Directors think my NJ chicks will be here until tomorrow which gives me a part of the weekend to do a few things. I plan to make some raspberry liqueur before the raspberry season ends and maybe pickle some green and yellow beans for Christmas hostess gifts. Our Board meeting for tomorrow morning is cancelled because of the stat holiday.

OK - it's noon. Time to start (actually continue!) my mini-vacation. As Sophie says, make summer count!
Old 08-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #14  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

fly by today. We started the day running - errands to pick up materials. DH has been working on the potting shed all day and I've been replanting beds and cleaning all the unproductive bits of the tomatoes and squash. They need to focus

I am trying Kalyn's fish taco cabbage bowl using spiralled zucchini instead of cabbage. First, more refrigerator pickles
Closed Thread